I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Seeking for advices - Valves adjustment.

Good morning,

Seeking for advices, I own a K1300GT 2010 with 84k KM (52K miles) and have done my all the regular maintenance myself. Since it is winter already in Montreal, I decided to do then 30k km maintenance, which include checking the valves.

Here is the reading I am getting:
Exhaust Valves (Specs 0.3 .. 0.4mm)
- Cylinder 1 = 0.30 0.28 ==> -0.02
- Cylinder 2 = 0.30 0.30
- Cylinder 3 = 0.33 0.33
- Cylinder 4 = 0.31 0.31

Inlet Valves(Specs 0.2 .. 0.28mm)
- Cylinder 1 = 0.33 0.33 ==>0.05 0.05
- Cylinder 2 = 0.25 0.25
- Cylinder 3 = 0.30 0.30 ==> 0.02 0.02
- Cylinder 4 = 0.28 0.28

I do not have the tools for adding/changing spacers and do not feel confident enought for doing it myself.

Question: Should I bring my bike to the dealer? Are the gap big enough or can I wait another 30k km (18k miles)

Thanks for your advices.

2010 K1300GT
2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
1975 Honda SL125
1971 Suzuki 90
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,279 Posts

Re: Seeking for advices - Valves adjustment.

If was just one valve at .02 wide, I'd say let it go. You have three out of speck and cyl #4 take on the edge. I would bring all 4 to mid spec. The job is not cheap nor easy. You happen to own an expensive bike to maintain. Buy the factory DVD and the instructions are complete. You will need a vacuum tool for the coolant refill.
https://www.tooltopia.com/uview-550000.aspx

Even buying all the tools (you do have a good air compressor) it will be cheaper than the shop. There are about $150 worth of rubber parts needed too. All Orings you see in the parts fiche's , rocker cover gasket, and follow the instructions on how to seal the inside and outside corners of this gasket. You can re use the old one if you remove ALL old corner sealant and clean both the head and cover of any junk. You need coil puller tool,

NO, I just realized you need tools to remove the camshaft bridge or good technique and a TDC crank locking tool. It all adds up. There are threads. You obviously have the bike opened up so take stock. So you need much of this stuff just to put it back together. To remove the cams, you have to remove the water pump, it has a seal called the dust cover, then there is the oring inside the end of the intake cam. Look things over carefully. And with the radiator out, clean it carefully, first round dry pull out all baby rocks and bugs. Then pour hydrogen peroxide all over it and flush with water (more bugs) then spray with soap and flush, last spray with brake cleaner to get oil and tar out, then really flush. You get the idea. Good thing it is winter and you have some time.
Plug holes to the crank before removing shims. Use a pencil magnet to catch them as you pry them out. You are deep enough into it to be at the point of no return. buy what you need. It will be less than going to the dealer.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 11-25-2018, 09:07 PM

You're on the edge. You could probably squeak by another 18 k miles without harming anything but since you've got the bike apart, why not set everything now and then not have to tear into again for maybe another 60k km?

As to whether you need the dealer or not, that's an individual call. I've checked valve clearances but never had to adjust. I have been watching the tutorial threads and while the job requires a lot of care it seems doable. Many have made an adequate cam holding tool out of 10mm all thread and appropriately-sized washers and nuts, or threaded rod welded to spark plug bodies, and several have reported that they didn't use the crank holding tool and had no problems, so special tool costs shouldn't be a barrier. I would definitely have the factory RepROM manual available as a guide.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post:
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 PM

Thank you Beech and millers. I will follow your advices and have the valves clearance adjusted.

I have the DVD, I've checked the valves twice already but never had to adjust them.

I will read it again and based on your feedback, I may adjust them myself.

Thanks again.

2010 K1300GT
2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
1975 Honda SL125
1971 Suzuki 90
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'LucP' for this post:
Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Luc, you can skip the camshaft bridge tool if you very carefully loosen (and tighten) the 10mm nuts half a turn at a time in some sort of equitable cross pattern. Follow the final torque value. Lube the cam shaft when you put it back in. The pictures in the Factory DVD are swapped out for TDC matching marks on the edges of the cam gears, Be very observant of the camshaft markings and how they match up. Cylinder #1 is on the right side of the bike. It really does not matter which set you used "[- or -], but use the same ones going back together and lock the engine so it will not move while cams out, use the factory tool in the cam location sensor hole on the front of the case behind the headers. Turn the crank case nut under the 2" round plug on side case CW to move things. Be sure to plug all the oil drain holes with small rags so you don't loose a nut or a spacer shim. Replace the orings that are under the cam bridge. Use High Temp silicone from the auto store for a little dab on corners of the left side of the rocker cover gasket. Clean old stuff off first. Takes me about two hours to clean the radiator.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Luc, you can skip the camshaft bridge tool if you very carefully loosen (and tighten) the 10mm nuts half a turn at a time in some sort of equitable cross pattern. Follow the final torque value. Lube the cam shaft when you put it back in. The pictures in the Factory DVD are swapped out for TDC matching marks on the edges of the cam gears, Be very observant of the camshaft markings and how they match up. Cylinder #1 is on the right side of the bike. It really does not matter which set you used "[- or -], but use the same ones going back together and lock the engine so it will not move while cams out, use the factory tool in the cam location sensor hole on the front of the case behind the headers. Turn the crank case nut under the 2" round plug on side case CW to move things. Be sure to plug all the oil drain holes with small rags so you don't loose a nut or a spacer shim. Replace the orings that are under the cam bridge. Use High Temp silicone from the auto store for a little dab on corners of the left side of the rocker cover gasket. Clean old stuff off first. Takes me about two hours to clean the radiator.

Thanks for the info. So in your experience you don't strictly need the cam tightening tool, but you do need the crank locking tool?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Be supercareful with the bridge holding the cams. Read on another forum of a guy doing this job and accedently dropped the bridge and cracking it. It is not available as a separate spare, you need to buy a new head, the bearing surfaces are machined as a matched part.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM

Thank you again Beech !

Currently reading the dvd in order to decide if I do it myself or not

Thanks for the valuable Info

2010 K1300GT
2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
1975 Honda SL125
1971 Suzuki 90
Old 11-27-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers
Thanks for the info. So in your experience you don't strictly need the cam tightening tool, but you do need the crank locking tool?

Yes, you do not want the engine to move ANY while the camshafts are off the engine, very difficult to find how to re time the situation. I have a saying at work, sometimes the log way is really the short way. No cheating
S1000R
Old 11-27-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Yes, you do not want the engine to move ANY while the camshafts are off the engine, very difficult to find how to re time the situation.
I don't doubt for a second that you don't want the crankshaft to move, just wondering what the likelihood of that really is. But I guess one might as well buy the tool and be safe, I bet you could sell it easily if you sold the bike and no longer needed it.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:14 AM

Don't sell tools until you sell the bike. It is not so expensive. Of course it seems like it, until you have the dealer do the job.
S1000R
Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM
Getting up to speed

I have the factory set of valve adjustment tools for the K1300 engines as well as an extra Crank hold tool (all brand new). I bought these as I was planning to keep my K1300S for ever and figured they would be unavailable at some point. Then, of course, I ended up trading it for a GS Adventure. PM me if you're interested in buying either.

I also have a bunch of other stuff for the K1300S listed in the classifieds.

John
Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcollinsworth
I have the factory set of valve adjustment tools for the K1300 engines as well as an extra Crank hold tool (all brand new). I bought these as I was planning to keep my K1300S for ever and figured they would be unavailable at some point. Then, of course, I ended up trading it for a GS Adventure. PM me if you're interested in buying either.

I also have a bunch of other stuff for the K1300S listed in the classifieds.

John
Hi John,

I PM'ed you but not sure if the message got through since it doesn't show in my Sent Mail folder. If you don't see it please let me know.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Getting up to speed

Seth,
I received your PM and responded. I've had occasions where my sent messages weren't visible to me too.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM

I ordered the tools for adjusting the valves.

John, I saw you message after I place the order. Hopefully you will find a taker.

Stay tuned ! I will gives you feedback on how it will go !

thanks for the help.

2010 K1300GT
2003 Yamaha V-Star 1100
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
1975 Honda SL125
1971 Suzuki 90