I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: RATE THE K1300S
0 - ITS A POS 1 0.31%
1 1 0.31%
2 2 0.62%
3 1 0.31%
4 0 0%
5 - Its OK 6 1.87%
6 7 2.18%
7 19 5.92%
8 106 33.02%
9 129 40.19%
10 - ITS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT 49 15.26%
Voters: 321. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: Rate the K1300s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Really 10k in less than a year-awesome. easy fix for your acc socket. I added a second socket up top-on battery cover. Good for all my heated gear and also any battery charger-10amp fuse. ( newer 13's have AGM batteries and not those gud-awfull Gel things.

Yes, I already have a fused SAE plug wired directly to the battery. I did not realize the accessory socket was so low-powered until I tried to run an Airman compressor from it a few weeks ago. I'll install a couple of Powerlets (or similar) in the battery cover soon. I just thought a 5 amp OE accessory socket was ridiculous (and it is). Will a heated vest draw more than 5 amps?

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX
Yes, I already have a fused SAE plug wired directly to the battery. I did not realize the accessory socket was so low-powered until I tried to run an Airman compressor from it a few weeks ago. I'll install a couple of Powerlets (or similar) in the battery cover soon. I just thought a 5 amp OE accessory socket was ridiculous (and it is). Will a heated vest draw more than 5 amps?

Yes-well maybe Depends. My underjacket Warn n Safe draws 90w at full tilt and gloves 15w. So +/- 9 amps draw. A vest will draw less watts and probably less than than 5 amps But, with the heat troller that cycles it will seldom if ever draw max amps. Have used jacket and gloves together and never a problem.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Getting up to speed

For me my K1300S is a 9 .

what I added:
* AC Schnitzer wider and higher handlebars via their "Steering Conversion Kit"
* MRA Vario screen
* Akrapovich exhaust - full system
* bar end CRG lane split mirrors (I commute everyday and lane split legally. CRG's watch my a** . I find this so needed for commuting. AC Schnitzer widened BMW mirrors watch adjoining lanes)
* thanks to Beech, John (Aragon), I installed the 31mm riser (dog bones) that make the front much quicker in corners
* Michelin PR3 (much more responsive I find compared to stock Metzeler M3)

Despite the 31mm risers, I change the ESA setting to 2-up and "Normal" . I am 5' 10" and 210lbs .

LOVE this beast, everytime I ride it (just like my 2005 M3) . It is sheer, smooth 4-cyl, huge torque-filled joy in a slightly front heavy package

That is not to say I'm not constantly "looking" around, taking advantage of every demo day .
I've spent time on a 2012 Multistrada (found the vibrations tiring after a bit), rode a 2012 S1000RR for a day (got off the fixed yoga contortions it requires, knees are too old for it, and I frankly didn't like it, v happy to get back on the K1300), 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure and KTM 1190 Advventure R, 2013 Water-boxer R1200GS, 2013 F800GS Adventure .

when I got on the KTM 1190, the KTM rep said oh be careful you have it in "Sport" mode it is very powerful. I found the KTM to be almost a toy after the K1300 . The KTM feels extremely light and agile in it's movements. It is suprisingly easy to ride, really well balanced, flickable. I like the seat on the 1190 R more. However, I did not find it a "replacement" for the K1300S . I did like it more than the water-boxer and the 2012 Multi . I should try the SKYHOOK Multi (2013) as it has some fueling improvements and improved handling too apparently. At this moment though, I think the KTM 1190 Adv R will be a nice addition as a ADV Touring bike !

Oh one more bike I will be demo'ing before I start collecting for a worthy 2nd, is the 2014 Aprilia Tuono . I've read that it is an improvement to an already great naked.
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400S
2012 Street Triple R Red (sold)
2012 HD NightRod V-Rod Special (sold)

Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsaab
For me my K1300S is a 9 .

what I added:
* AC Schnitzer wider and higher handlebars via their "Steering Conversion Kit"
* MRA Vario screen
* Akrapovich exhaust - full system
* bar end CRG lane split mirrors (I commute everyday and lane split legally. CRG's watch my a** . I find this so needed for commuting. AC Schnitzer widened BMW mirrors watch adjoining lanes)
* thanks to Beech, John (Aragon), I installed the 31mm riser (dog bones) that make the front much quicker in corners
* Michelin PR3 (much more responsive I find compared to stock Metzeler M3)

Despite the 31mm risers, I change the ESA setting to 2-up and "Normal" . I am 5' 10" and 210lbs .

LOVE this beast, everytime I ride it (just like my 2005 M3) . It is sheer, smooth 4-cyl, huge torque-filled joy in a slightly front heavy package

That is not to say I'm not constantly "looking" around, taking advantage of every demo day .
I've spent time on a 2012 Multistrada (found the vibrations tiring after a bit), rode a 2012 S1000RR for a day (got off the fixed yoga contortions it requires, knees are too old for it, and I frankly didn't like it, v happy to get back on the K1300), 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure and KTM 1190 Advventure R, 2013 Water-boxer R1200GS, 2013 F800GS Adventure .

when I got on the KTM 1190, the KTM rep said oh be careful you have it in "Sport" mode it is very powerful. I found the KTM to be almost a toy after the K1300 . The KTM feels extremely light and agile in it's movements. It is suprisingly easy to ride, really well balanced, flickable. I like the seat on the 1190 R more. However, I did not find it a "replacement" for the K1300S . I did like it more than the water-boxer and the 2012 Multi . I should try the SKYHOOK Multi (2013) as it has some fueling improvements and improved handling too apparently. At this moment though, I think the KTM 1190 Adv R will be a nice addition as a ADV Touring bike !

Oh one more bike I will be demo'ing before I start collecting for a worthy 2nd, is the 2014 Aprilia Tuono . I've read that it is an improvement to an already great naked.
Naren:

I'm in total agreement that the K1300S is an awesome bike. Curious to your statement that you felt the RR required some sort of yoga contortions to ride it? The RR is one of the nicest liter bikes to ride as far as the ergos go - your size seems fine - and you did not like it - again just for my own info - what exactly did you not like?

I absolutely love the RR - not as a sport tourer or adventure bike - but for what it is a sport bike.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by barter
I’m not much of a contributor these days, but you might be interested in my attempts to find a better bike to replace my 09 K1300S, now with 28K trouble free miles. I thought after 4 years it might be worth changing, so I tried the KTM1190, 2013 GS1200 and the new Mulitstrada 1200S with Skyhook, each for a day. The KTM had great suspension and agility, but turbulence and excessive front end lightness spoiled it. The GS1200 was super plush, had impressive mid range and could be cruised all day in all weathers at very high speeds, but again the front end was vague and the constant movement caused by a tendency to wander with the high bars was not relaxing (this at 90 plus). The Multistrada was the best of the three, with excellent handling, all day comfort and a punchy motor. It was spoiled by poor fuelling, both too sudden off the throttle and hesitant under hard acceleration from mid range; probably curable with a new pipe and chip. Each time I got back on the K1300, I was immediately conscious of riding a superior machine in almost every respect. From fit and finish (it looks 4 weeks old not 4 years old), to the impeccable road manners from walking speeds well into three figures. The bike is totally planted and precise, holding an inch perfect line and delivering immense drive. It is also, amazingly, far easier to ride smoothly in urban traffic than any of the above. I have had the fuelling dyno sorted with Akropovic full titanium race system and mesh filters, and HP wheels have made a noticeable difference. The shift assist is also a "must have" accessory. I guess the fuelling could be similarly improved on all these adventure bikes, but they still fall short of the K1300’s peerless road going credentials. Only slightly harsh (but capable) suspension on sport setting and a vibey motor once into 3 figures lets the bike down, and, of course, it doesn’t do well off road, but neither do I. I enjoyed riding the excellent adventure bikes, but none is a match for the BMW, and i will be sticking with it for a while.

Absolutely agree with every one of your comments. I have only owned the bike for 5 weeks, its the 2013 (Black Sapphire) model fully optioned. I rode a K12S for 5 years prior and thought I had the best bike available - I was wrong the K13S has a quicker turn in and a bit more usable power. I just got home from a 1600 klm tour over 3 days and I'm fresh as a daisy. Magnificent machine IMHO.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Naren:

I'm in total agreement that the K1300S is an awesome bike. Curious to your statement that you felt the RR required some sort of yoga contortions to ride it? The RR is one of the nicest liter bikes to ride as far as the ergos go - your size seems fine - and you did not like it - again just for my own info - what exactly did you not like?

I absolutely love the RR - not as a sport tourer or adventure bike - but for what it is a sport bike.

Bruce,
You are correct the problem was not with the bike ergos .... ahem....was more an issue with a portly stature on the rider's part ...

For sure, it is an excellent sportsbike.

After the EICMA announcements..... I think the 3 (maybe 4) bikes I will look forward to demo riding early next year are - S1000R naked, the Super Duke 1290 R, 2014 Tuono and maybe also the MVA Rivale .
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400S
2012 Street Triple R Red (sold)
2012 HD NightRod V-Rod Special (sold)

Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Yes, there are some well deserved nits that could be harped upon... yes, will never (and was never intended to) be s1000rr (it was a test platform for s1000rr tech), but could stand to lose another 10-20 lbs., post Acropovic... but the point at which one averages one compliment, every time is pulled out of garage (including just for cleaning), and the point at which a CHP moto cop goes out of his way to say "nice bike", I mean, what more could one realistically ask for?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dadoes1' for this post:
Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Site Contributor

Having owned a k12rs and a k12s (and other bikes), I would rate the k13s pretty high. No eletronic cruise, even as an option, is really inexcusable. It could also go on a diet and lose maybe 30 or 40 lbs.

I'm curious, do any former BMW design engineers or executives ever weigh-in on these discussions on the bike's shortcomings? It sure would be interesting to hear their side of why they made certain decisions.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Shooting the gap

Greetings from a new owner of a K1300S. I just took delivery this past weekend and I love it.

My planned use is sport touring, with a good emphasis on touring. I found that the K1300S had nice highway manners, yet has plenty of sport on the back roads. I was pleasantly suprised a how much BMW has improved the saddle from what came on my old airhead. I also was surprised at the comfort of the footpeg position. Power, weight, saddle height, and options are all excellent.

The bike is almost perfect. The only issues I found so far is that my hands get numb after a couple of hours. The simple addition of riser bars should take care of that. I don't quite understand why the factory bars are so low that you cannot move the bars to the stop without mashing your hand against the tank. The only other issue is the high beam switch. When I hit a bump/pot hole, there is a tendency for my hand to bump the switch and turn on the high beam. Other than those two issues, I love everything about the bike so far.

k_enn
Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Hey Ken, I can only recommend giving the stock bar location a chance before rushing to risers. I was seriously considering it to when I first bought mine a couple of years back. Now 25k+ miles later and I'm very glad I kept the bars stock. I also thought the hand to tank clearance was goofy, but got used to that in no time at all. Although most of my riding is about an hour at a time, so ymmv, literally.

Also the ergos for me depend on what speed. If I'm doing 30 for a stretch the bars wear my arms out much faster, but with any kind of speed the wind helps hold me up and it gets very comfortable on the arms.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
Hey Ken, I can only recommend giving the stock bar location a chance before rushing to risers. I was seriously considering it to when I first bought mine a couple of years back. Now 25k+ miles later and I'm very glad I kept the bars stock. I also thought the hand to tank clearance was goofy, but got used to that in no time at all. Although most of my riding is about an hour at a time, so ymmv, literally.

Also the ergos for me depend on what speed. If I'm doing 30 for a stretch the bars wear my arms out much faster, but with any kind of speed the wind helps hold me up and it gets very comfortable on the arms.

I hear what you are saying, but about two hours in to a four hour ride, my left hand was numb. The right was numb, but not as bad. After the ride, the "pins and needles" feeling set in and did not go away from the left hand until the next morning. It is not just that I don't like reaching for the stock bars or that I don't like the forward postion . It is sufficiently major that a change in the bars is needed. Still, I love the bike.

k_enn
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_enn
I hear what you are saying, but about two hours in to a four hour ride, my left hand was numb. The right was numb, but not as bad. After the ride, the "pins and needles" feeling set in and did not go away from the left hand until the next morning. It is not just that I don't like reaching for the stock bars or that I don't like the forward postion . It is sufficiently major that a change in the bars is needed. Still, I love the bike.

k_enn

It's cool, whatever you decide, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

I used to get hand numbness too, to where I would actively flex my hands open and closed a few times for circulation. Don't remember the last time it happened though, it seems my body got used to it.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Getting up to speed

All those 9s . . . just a factory cruise control away from 10s.
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic -- Metallic Black + Crème

Past
1995 Harley Davidson FXSTC Softail Custom
1985 Yamaha FZ750
1985 Yamaha FJ1100
1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninja
1983 Honda 750 Interceptor
1981 Yamaha 750 Seca
1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe
Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by telekon
All those 9s . . . just a factory cruise control away from 10s.
I think a lot of those 9s are for the too lean fuel map.
My K13s is the worst litre+ I have ever ridden for making a casual start from a red light on a warm day. The clutch does not help, nor the low idle, but worst is the fuel map. If I accelerate briskly all is well, but trying to be inconspicuous due to police nearby shows the poor off idle mapping.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
I think a lot of those 9s are for the too lean fuel map.
My K13s is the worst litre+ I have ever ridden for making a casual start from a red light on a warm day. The clutch does not help, nor the low idle, but worst is the fuel map. If I accelerate briskly all is well, but trying to be inconspicuous due to police nearby shows the poor off idle mapping.

...booster plug...
Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

I will give away my Booster Plug free. Any in the SF Bay area want it?

It worked, made things a little better. But pulling off the line improved to like a 600cc. Better than the stock which felt like a 250cc. I am talking about from a stop to 15 mph on warm days.
Granted, mine is on the extreme of lean mapping, the dealer has talked to Germany a few times about it. I have ridden four other K1300s's; they vary a bit and are all better than mine. Son's is torquey off the line at all times, dealer demo (and last one the dealer has) is OK. Dealer thinks there is a small variation in many things that add up to a large difference, replacing one component will probably not change much. They suggested the Booster Plug.

I am going for a BrenTune as he will compensate for the many variables.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I voted a 7. It's a nice bike for sure, but with a few issues that really should not be there on a bike this expensive *in my opinion* and in production several years. The clutch feel and apparently the wear are the result of marginal design issues. My Hayabusa and Kawi ZZR1200 came away from a stop light much easier, with less attention and care. The hot-start issue some of us have had should have been resolved long ago with an inline change. The fix is OK but should be unnecessary. The fuel mapping that makes it almost impossible to blip the throttle (for some of us) for a downshift unless you do remapping or install a plug to fool the computer into thinking the inlet air is cooler so it enrichens the mixture: really? I realize many don't share these sentiments or even see the problems, but from my exposure here and on other forums, some owners do. I think 7 reflects how I like the bike but feel it could have, and should have, been refined more prior to its end-of-life. I've owned way too many bikes, and many have had issues of one sort or another - nothing unique going on here. Fine bike, could be even better: quite a missile.
2005 Hayabusa - Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200 - Sold
1999 K1200LTC - Sold
and many more...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRBOY
IMHO .....It would be hard to find anything about that bike that is totally unacceptable.

Depends on your definition of unacceptable. I own one, so it's not really "unacceptable," eh?

But if I was a senior engineer or executive at BMW, it would be totally unacceptable: The rattling, chattering, whistling and vibrating extremely loud bucket of bolts engine.

This is my sixth bike and has by far the loudest motor. It is astounding how much louder my K1300S engine is compared to my GSX1200F, like they've gone out of their way to make it irritatingly noisy. I'll bet it's full of parts with names like barbuzzer, chattertraption, whirringshaft, counterclanker and master unbalancer.

The most inanely engineered engine in the 21st century in a bike over $7000, IMO. The only excuse I can imagine is that the 2-jug guys decided that the transverse mounting and wet clutch were the final straws, so they snuck in and tampered with the blueprints as a prank--and nobody noticed.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXdB
Depends on your definition of unacceptable. I own one, so it's not really "unacceptable," eh?

But if I was a senior engineer or executive at BMW, it would be totally unacceptable: The rattling, chattering, whistling and vibrating extremely loud bucket of bolts engine.

This is my sixth bike and has by far the loudest motor. It is astounding how much louder my K1300S engine is compared to my GSX1200F, like they've gone out of their way to make it irritatingly noisy. I'll bet it's full of parts with names like barbuzzer, chattertraption, whirringshaft, counterclanker and master unbalancer.

The most inanely engineered engine in the 21st century in a bike over $7000, IMO. The only excuse I can imagine is that the 2-jug guys decided that the transverse mounting and wet clutch were the final straws, so they snuck in and tampered with the blueprints as a prank--and nobody noticed.

I'm inspired to tear my hair out often when people claim to know what design engineers should have done. Forgive me, but my perspective is I'm a design engineer.

That said, what people constantly miss is this...like all of life, design engineering is a world of extremely limited resources all around. You want to make everything perfect, but you only have so many brain cells, so many hours in a week, so competent subordinates, so powerful computers, so able talent, so generous bean counters, so limited materials, so teasing but elusive cutting edge of technology.

Yes, many faults on this bike. 10? No if nothing is. Kick-ass relatively extremely awesomely engineered cruise missile experience, yes please, I'll likely buy another low mile used if Ifind mine has too many miles to keep riding.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hmmm . . . I wonder how you got a different engine than the one they put in my K1300S?

Quote:

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 AM
Getting up to speed

LOUD ENGINE NOISE ??? You mean turbine winding up ready for a moon shot !!
I've owned plenty of BMW's my 2012 K1300s purrs like a little kitty ....
Old 03-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Shooting the gap

The k1300 is a great bike does everything good but it's not a good looking bike. I think that looks are important in a bike that's why the K1200 RS GT were so nice and to this day they look good. I still BMW should being them back The new RS 1200 is a nice addition would like to test drive one
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Getting up to speed

Good looking, beauty ... It's in the eye of the beholder !!
I think my 95 K1100RS is beautiful, just as pretty as ever !!
Old 03-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

I actually like the lines of the RNineT, but the motor is flat as a beer fart compared to the K1300s.
If you don't like the looks of the K13, change them. There is a LOT you can do.
As for engine noise - my friend has a Moto Guzzi LeMans. After riding that a bit the noise and transmission clunk on the K13 seems negligible.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRBOY
LOUD ENGINE NOISE ??? You mean turbine winding up ready for a moon shot !!I've owned plenty of BMW's my 2012 K1300s purrs like a little kitty ....
Gee, I wonder what's special about yours that it's not a squealer. Mine has all kinds of foul noises, the most prominent being some kind of screeching whine (gears?). I rode both my GSF1200S and K1300S for months before getting rid of the Bandit. The Bandit had a much quieter engine (not counting the airbox growl, which was cool not annoying), it made no clattering or sqealing sounds at all. The KS engine sounds dreadful until drowned out by tire and wind noise around 60 or so. Maybe I could stuff attic insulation underneath all the plastic panels? The straight six in my wife's 325i is pretty quiet, so it's not like the company can't make a quiet motor.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Gee, I wonder what's special about yours that it's not a squealer.

Mine's not a "squealer" either.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Mine's not a "squealer" either.
I'll complain about it next service, maybe there's some adjustment. It's really obvious and annoying, a high pitched whistle proportional to engine speed particularly loud from 3500-6000 RPM.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
I'll complain about it next service, maybe there's some adjustment. It's really obvious and annoying, a high pitched whistle proportional to engine speed particularly loud from 3500-6000 RPM.

Well, if your "squealer" is THAT annoying, why would wait for the next service?

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Head Up Knee down

would give a 10 if the thing had cruise on it. I put an omni cruise on but it isn't the same and hard to maintain a speed with the omni cruise. you spend a few attempts getting it set then you are good to go. thing feels like a piece of paper but i'm also coming off a K1200RS so it is way lighter feeling. ergos are great and i'm 6'6". granted i have helibars and peg lowering but i'm considering going to stock bars and keeping the pegs the way they are.

Power is just nuts, gear box is smooth especially comparred to the 08 k1200s. then again i use the quick shifter almost all the time and when not using the quick shifter (lower rpms) just tap the clutch and nice smooth gear change.

Looking forward to many more miles on this beast!
2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Head Up Knee down

Yeah get that thing checked out... My 2012 sounds like it is getting ready to be launched to space. The stock note sounds like the k1200rs with balls and no rattle. or sounds like the k1200s with a scratchy voice. only a little extra noise when in neutral.

from 6000 rpm to 10,900 is a symphony especially when you crack the quick shifter and it give that great pop / burp. I can only imagine what it sounds like with a Remus, GPR or Akra attached to it. ****drool****

and in my opinion flat black aluminum should've been a stock color

Quote:

2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)

Old 08-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb4
Yeah get that thing checked out... My 2012 sounds like it is getting ready to be launched to space. The stock note sounds like the k1200rs with balls and no rattle. or sounds like the k1200s with a scratchy voice. only a little extra noise when in neutral.

from 6000 rpm to 10,900 is a symphony especially when you crack the quick shifter and it give that great pop / burp. I can only imagine what it sounds like with a Remus, GPR or Akra attached to it. ****drool****

and in my opinion flat black aluminum should've been a stock color

Mine came with full akra titanium evolution and stock, i removed akra and sold it stock sounds just right to me.

I have 65k on mine, just last weekend did new pr4s again tires, brakes, rear drive fluid and oil change. Last month or so did valve check coolant flush, she's running tip top still daily. Only thing i should do is replace the brake fluid, soon.

I also have a throttlemeister, love it.

Also this year added valentine v1 with yav1 app so my radar alerts now are integrated with my phone audio, great!

For my riding and at fairly high miles I'm still calling it a 10 due to plain awesome looks and performance for my daily commuter purposes.

Thinking about it if i could wish I'd take functional chameleon finish to be more stealthy because I'm sure there are at least a few fellow commuters getting sick of that light gray bike blowing by them again every day week month year lol.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Head Up Knee down

Coming off a k1200rs hearing the bike at speed is just amazing to me and i can't get enough. thank god the stock sounds so good i'm not really in the mood to part with the money required to get the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
Mine came with full akra titanium evolution and stock, i removed akra and sold it stock sounds just right to me.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Just got back from a 2,500-mile, six-day ride to the MOA Pineville Getaway. 2013 K1300S turned over 31,000 miles during the trip. Consistently got about 48 mpg cruising about 75 mph (or so ). Other than BMW replacing the handlebar switchgear under their campaign (or whatever it was called), although mine were working fine other than an intermittent sticking INFO button, the bike has run without a hiccup for almost 3-1/2 years. I rate it

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 11-11-2016, 02:17 AM
Getting up to speed

I need 2 more years so i can buy another one, hopefully new!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Shooting the gap

So I'm new to the K1300S and I've got ~3k miles of experience on it.

My street riding history is I'm now at >300k miles over 39 years, 31 States, Canada, Germany, Austria, Italy, and the Island of Corsica.

For comparison my previous rides were:
'75 Yamaha RD200
'77 Honda XL350
'78 Yamaha XS750E
'80 Suzuki GS850G
'86 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 BMW R100GS/PD
'99 BMW R1100S

Do I like my K1300S?...yes very much and I hope to keep riding it for then next 100k miles. The power is very satisfying as power is always your best friend on 2-wheels IMO. The riding position is just the right balance for Sport-Touring. The various gizmos are handy and I'm spoiled now.

So far I made the following mods:

Lighting:
NSSC Low-Beam Slim Digital Ballast H7 Low-Beam HID Light Kit (3300 Lumens)
Philips LED DayLight 8 DRL (8 white LEDs - 450 Lumens)

Chassis:
2-piece Corbin Seat w/detachable Backrest
Added Ilmberger Carbon Fiber Rear Tire “Hugger”
Added “Grip Puppies” Handlebar Grip Covers
Added OEM Rear Luggage Rack (BMW P/N: 71-60-7-715-137)
Added OEM Centerstand (BMW P/Ns: 71-60-7-691-855, 46-52-7-704-612)
Cut Vent Hole in Tank Filler Neck ~2/3s the way up from bottom

The following mods are planned for next Spring when I put on a new pair of Pirelli Angel GTs - A-Spec:

Pyramid Front Fender Extender
Beech 25mm Suspension Lift Plate

Later on I'll likely upgrade to a set of Wilbers Suspension and maybe a Slip-On Muffler.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
First of all, there are no 10's...not in women or bikes. There's always something that can be better on something considered 'perfect'

I always felt the same way, til I got my 04 K1200GT.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Trips' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips
I always felt the same way, til I got my 04 K1200GT.
Yes, a very nice motorcycle for sure.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Well, maybe a 10 if it had the power of the K1300S......
Old 02-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

one detractor for me is the tach and speedo orientation. ergonomically and for best comprehension, the common "normal" readings on a dial should be "up". the 13 has everything rotated to be "down" in normal human use. counter intuitive. if you are at 140mph (vertical)...you shouldn't be looking at the speedo....

wish there was a mod to rotate them both. sure, it looks cool sitting still with 11k rpm and 140mph "up", but really annoying to use.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle
one detractor for me is the tach and speedo orientation. ergonomically and for best comprehension, the common "normal" readings on a dial should be "up". the 13 has everything rotated to be "down" in normal human use. counter intuitive. if you are at 140mph (vertical)...you shouldn't be looking at the speedo....

wish there was a mod to rotate them both. sure, it looks cool sitting still with 11k rpm and 140mph "up", but really annoying to use.
It's pretty common to have the tach oriented so that the redline is at the 12:00 position ("up"). This is not quite how the K1300S is, because it runs into the overlapping speedo, but it's close.

The bigger ergonomic "fault" (IMHO) is that the speedo and the tach should reverse positions, so that the tach is the big, round, white gauge sitting directly in front of you, and the speedo (which should also be white, or at least the same color as the tach) is off to the left. The way the Porsche 911 has had it since Day 1. The right way.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It's pretty common to have the tach oriented so that the redline is at the 12:00 position ("up"). This is not quite how the K1300S is, because it runs into the overlapping speedo, but it's close.

The bigger ergonomic "fault" (IMHO) is that the speedo and the tach should reverse positions, so that the tach is the big, round, white gauge sitting directly in front of you, and the speedo (which should also be white, or at least the same color as the tach) is off to the left. The way the Porsche 911 has had it since Day 1. The right way.

actually most tachs are oriented to the mid range up, race cars go with max tq/hp range up. redline is always wrapped around a bit. even on Porsche 911's.

but yes..tach should be front and center on sporting vehicles. however, on my SCCA race and track cars i rarely even look at the tach, use sequential shift lights instead.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle
actually most tachs are oriented to the mid range up, race cars go with max tq/hp range up. redline is always wrapped around a bit. even on Porsche 911's.
Yes, I should have clarified that redline "up" is a racing orientation. On my 1972 911, the "factory" redline orientation is at about 3:00.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have a 2016 MS Edition, it's just clipping a nine for me. Very minor nits:

1. Wish the computer screen was a bit larger

2. For a $20K bike there should not be clutch issues. After all, BMW and Ricardo collaborated on the engine, how did they overlook the clutch chatter at take off? but even at that its a minor issue for me.

3. Just a tad more under seat storage
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'C8H18' for this post:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM

It took me a long time to love it. Long wheelbase, para lever suspension, wide and awkward leg position and not much to look at for me. I would have given it away. I was stuck with it. I'm glad I stuck with it. The adjustment was big. The satisfaction was bigger. Now I ride it hands free and clutch less without the awful cramping I once got. Best bike I've ever had! Turn the heated grips on high and the throttle sticks pretty good.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8H18
For a $20K bike there should not be clutch issues. After all, BMW and Ricardo collaborated on the engine, how did they overlook the clutch chatter at take off? but even at that its a minor issue for me.

Mine has this clutch judder at take off, avoidable only by setting off at idle and almost stalling on purpose.

(First ride of my 2014 bike this week, bought in Dec 2016, 6255 miles.)

I'm hoping for a fix for this under warranty . . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 03-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
First of all, there are no 10's...not in women or bikes.
How about cars?
I just picked up a Tesla P100DL, faster than K1300s acceleration, silent and self driving when I don't want to be bothered. Maybe an 11 as nothing else is even in the ballpark.
But come summer I will be on the K13, sometimes its not about how good something is, it's about how much fun you have driving it.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
How about cars?
I just picked up a Tesla P100DL, faster than K1300s acceleration, silent and self driving when I don't want to be bothered. Maybe an 11 as nothing else is even in the ballpark.
But come summer I will be on the K13, sometimes its not about how good something is, it's about how much fun you have driving it.
Can't drive the Tesla 800 miles in a single-day trip, so no 10.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Twisted Wrister

Err, you would rate it a 10 for that range?
When I head to Vegas from SF which is just under 600 mi. I leave at 06:00, stop for brunch and supper, charging while eating. I could easily extend that to 800 as the P100 tops 300 mi on a charge and takes about an hour to charge. 900 mi would require slowing below my normal 80 - 85 MPH and perfectly placed chargers.
My run to Portland last month went the same way, two stops that coincided with meal breaks.

800 Mi would be a 12 hour day, maybe 13.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Err, you would rate it a 10 for that range?
I've never driven one, so no idea. But without that range it can't be a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
When I head to Vegas from SF which is just under 600 mi. I leave at 06:00, stop for brunch and supper, charging while eating. I could easily extend that to 800 as the P100 tops 300 mi on a charge and takes about an hour to charge. 900 mi would require slowing below my normal 80 - 85 MPH and perfectly placed chargers.
My run to Portland last month went the same way, two stops that coincided with meal breaks.

800 Mi would be a 12 hour day, maybe 13.
One-hour stops every 300 miles (3-1/2 to 4 hours) and perfectly-placed charging stations to get long range.

My VW Touareg TDI goes 700+ miles on its 26 gallon tank. Yesterday I drove 760 miles from Rolla, MO to Houston, TX in 13 hours with a pee stop (too much Panera coffee before starting), a 30-minute lunch stop, and one 15 minute fuel stop (I had to pee again, so it took a little longer), and I don't require perfectly placed diesel stations. Speed limits were 55 to 75 mph, so running speeds were 60 to 80 mph. When I made the reverse trip two weeks ago it took 12-1/2 hours. When the Tesla can do that, let me know. Then maybe it will be eligible for a 10.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 03-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Twisted Wrister

How much of your trip did your TDI drive?
Once you start getting into a Tesla no other car will do, it's that much better. The reports and tests do not fully represent its capabilities.
Did I mention charging the Tesla is free? On those trips I did not pay for charging at all.
The choice whether to drive or not is why I said 11.

Lack of "Sport Mode" traction control is one reason the K13 is not a 10.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
How much of your trip did your TDI drive?
Self-driving capability has ZERO value to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Did I mention charging the Tesla is free? On those trips I did not pay for charging at all.
For $150k, I would hope so. "Lesser" Teslas do not come with "free" electricity.

The obstacle to getting anywhere near a "10" is that what a Tesla gives you for your $150k is a quiet, luxury car that can accelerate very quickly, but can only go 300 miles between one-hour "fuel" stops, and weighs far too much (5,000 pounds) to have any hope of being nimble and fun to drive. If I want to buy a $150k four-door, four-seat GT car, I'll buy a $100k Porsche Panamera, and pocket the $50k difference to pay for gasoline and maintenance. I'd gladly give up a little stop-light capability for higher-speed power and handling. Sorry.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Getting back to the topic of the K1300S .... I looked at every bike that tour BMW dealer had today, and they are a large and popular dealer. A customer had a K1300S in the parking lot and no matter what new bike I looked at nothing happened. When we bought our first S something definitely happened. We just HAD to have it.

That's the feeling we want to get when we see a new bike, until then ...
Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Getting back to the topic of the K1300S .... I looked at every bike that tour BMW dealer had today, and they are a large and popular dealer. A customer had a K1300S in the parking lot and no matter what new bike I looked at nothing happened. When we bought our first S something definitely happened. We just HAD to have it.

That's the feeling we want to get when we see a new bike, until then ...
Yep. When I got the new bike itch four years ago, I first test-rode the new F800GT. "Nice" bike, but when I go back from the ride, even my wife could see in my eyes that I was underwhelmed. I then test-rode a used K1200S . . . and bought a new K1300S sitting in its crate on a boat in Bremerhaven.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

I recently returned to the KS fold... my fourth. Having had the four Ks and logging ~ 230k miles between them (2006-present), for my riding and size, there simply isn't another bike that delivers the goods (and the grins) like the '16 K1300S... perfect

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,529 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthegrass
I recently returned to the KS fold... my fourth. Having had the four Ks and logging ~ 230k miles between them (2006-present), for my riding and size, there simply isn't another bike that delivers the goods (and the grins) like the '16 K1300S... perfect

Can't agree more. I'm on my third - first a K12, second a K13 HP - deserted the fold for an XR for 2 years - then back to my third a K13 MS. It certainly delivers the goods.
BMW R90S
Old 10-19-2017, 05:07 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

I know, I have on hand a low miles final drive and drive tube assembly, starter, and just ordered front wheel bearings, spare water pump low miles, spare ball joints new and a low miles (4K) alternator for a spare; all to keep the baby going. That bike is a true friend. In fact it will be raining all weekend, I'll give it a good wax job.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Twisted Wrister

Approaching 72, I need more spares than my K1300S. I have reached the point that a "lifetime guarantee" doesn't mean squat. When a business indicates it was established in the 80s, I am unimpressed. Middle age women could be the age of my daughter and young women are as a grand daughter. Perspectives change.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmac
Ooops I'm not generally a brand basher, my personal experience with a V11 LeMans was overstated. It was a fine bike, but was not 26 years better than my Laverda Jota. In much the same way as you are attached to your older Guzzis I have the same affection for Laverdas and after 28 years of ownership there is too much seat time to let any brand over shadow my experience. Even a couple of Laverdas has come and gone but my original 1984 RGS is still with me.

My marks: 9/10.
A point away for the seat and occasional quality weaknesses, but they're a minor gripe - not enough to stop me getting my second one.

I had Lavs for 28 years including two RGSs. The RGS was an excellent sports tourer for its time - not pandering to fashion, just getting the job done, fast and enjoyably.

I'd say the K1300S is in the same mould, and is probably 28 years better. With that 28 years comes massive additional complexity of course, but I can get it serviced, and it gives me the same riding pleasure.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Approaching 72, I need more spares than my K1300S. I have reached the point that a "lifetime guarantee" doesn't mean squat. When a business indicates it was established in the 80s, I am unimpressed. Middle age women could be the age of my daughter and young women are as a grand daughter. Perspectives change.

Couldn't have said it better myself and at approaching 76 it is even more relavent all the more reason to burn the candle from both ends, thank god for fast motorcycles.