I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Oil burning and the reed valves

My bike blurts out smoke at startup with 30,000 kms on it an started doing it at 15,000 kms.

I read the following in another post

"Mine used oil until I did the valve check where I discovered the reed valves in the valve cover for the PAIR system where all gunked up and not sealing."

Can anyone tell me what the reed valves do, when they do it and, should they be gummed up, what is the mechanism that causes the engine to burn oil?

Thanks

Dennis
Vancouver
Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,472 Posts

Re: Oil burning and the reed valves

Dennis, there are no reed valves in a K13 motor.

They are used with the PAIR (Pulsed Secondary Air Injection) system, which BMW doesn't use. It adds air to the exhaust to give it better emissions results.

Oil burning could be caused by the piston rings not sealing completely or worn out valve guides.

Are you sure it is oil smoke? It could be water vapor condensation in the engine at cold start up, which usually dissipates quickly as the engine warms.
This "smoke" is white while oil smoke is slightly blueish in color.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Rick,
Might you know the answer to this one?
If one overfills the Oil Tank with oil when changing it, what exactly happens to the oil overflows into a vent pipe towards the engine and will it eventually clear itself out ??
Dennis
Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Site Contributor

If you overfill the oil tank, oil can travel up the engine case breather hose (which is connected to the airbox) and then make its way down again to the SLS Valve (and reed valves)..... and to finish off the bad news, the idle air control valve may gunk up along with your evap canister (US Models only) and the evap valve.

Too much oil as you can see is no good.....

Remove your airfilter and reach inside. If your fingers get oilywet, start cleaning the airbox and valves..... if oil+dust get into the idle air valve (center of the box) it might start to stick and the idle goes to shits.

DISCLAIMER: The information given here is for entertainment porpuses only and shall not be regarded as a approved method of maintenance. All maintenance shall be performed by a BMW Trained Technician or someone who doesn't give a rats ass about their warranty and has some mechanical skills. HAHAHA
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks and What is the SLS valve??
Earlier in the thread there was a comment that the k1300s has no reed valves???
Old 09-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Site Contributor

All K12 and K13 engines have a SLS valve and reed valves
(in German: Sekundär Luft System)
(in English: Secondary air system).

The air is introduced into the exhaust via the reed valves sitting on top of the cylinder head cover. It causes the exhaust gases to reach a higher temperature and re-burn in the catalytic converter, making the emissions cleaner (supposedly).

A faulty reed valve which doesnt close properly (broken off or not sealing) will upset the oxygen sensor reading and the bike starts to make popping sound out of the exhaust.....too much fuel being injected because of the extra oxygen sensed by the probe in the exhaust.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,984 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
All K12 and K13 engines have a SLS valve and reed valves
(in German: Sekundär Luft System)
(in English: Secondary air system).
I stand corrected, thanks Pat.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 09-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello Folks,

my Oil Tank was too much filled from the owner before, so i could see what happens. I was lucky because i stopped to adjust the clock and wondering about the oil smell. The oil went out of the box because the filler hole cap is opening at a little to much pressure.
The oil rans out over the abs ,engine case, exhaust and rear tire and dripping on the street. The ride back home was very slow ;-).
The accurate inspection after that very annoying thing provide not a flooded airbox but a very long cleaning in the area engine case, abs etc.

Greets Christian
Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,206 Posts

So, help, I traced out the secondary air line from the manifold on top of the rocker cover on my K1300s. Because I broke it, brittle, and had to replace it. It goes to a connection on the lower left of the intake air box. So I was thinking this is a crank case vent in reality as the rocker space is open to the crankcase. I see no tube connection to the exhaust header system or any other part of the exhaust.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:12 AM
Site Contributor

The crankcase breather hose is on the far right hand side of the airbox.

The SLS line goes from the SLS-Valve at the left of the Airbox, to the top of the cylinder head (plastic pipe that you broke)..... under the 3 covers where the plastic tube are pushed in are the reed valves.
When you flip the cylinder head cover around, you see 4 holes under the reed valves.... these holes line up to holes/chanels in the cylinder head which are connected to the exhaust valve chamber....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,206 Posts

Very cool, thanks.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 AM
Twisted Wrister

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

So the SLS system in itself cannot be responsible for excessive oil consumption. Normally it only passes air to the exhaust system.
But if one or more reed valves are stuck or broken, crankcase pressure can get high because the system can blow back exhaust gas via the SLS reed valves into the crank case? Thus overloading the crankcase ventilation system, thus burning oil?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:41 AM
Site Contributor

No. The crank case breather hose "vents" directly into the airbox.

The SLS valve + the reed valves are drawing fresh air out of the airbox. There is no physical connection between the crank case breather hose (ability to overpressure the engine block) and the sls system.

High oil consumption is either from worn out valve guide seals or bad piston rings.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 AM
Twisted Wrister

Patrique, if the reed valves are stuck open isn't it possible for gasses from the exhaust ports to flow back via the rocker cover into the crankcase and/or air box, upsetting the ventilation system?
Or can the vacuum that exists in the airbox draw crankcase gasses via de defect reed valves into the airbox?

(Damn I'm always having trouble with the intricates of these "anti polution" systems!)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Site Contributor

The reed valves open when the exhaust gases escape the cylinder and draw a vaccuum that opens them.
Theoretically, a reed valve that is stuck open or doesn't close properly is going to let a minute amount of exhaust air travel back up to the SLS Valve and into the airbox. But like i said previously, a malfunctioning reed valve will cause more fresh air to be drawn into the exhaust system then necessary, upsetting the O2 sensor who is going to tell the BMSK to inject more fuel......and then you get a popping exhaust, as the fuel/air mixture is too rich.... prolonged driving with a faulty reed valve (if the O2 sensor is connected) will cause your spark plugs to foul up and destroy the catalytic converter.

The SLS Valve is not active until the bike has reached operating temperature.
People (like me) with a PowerCommander disconnect/block the tube from the SLS Valve and disconnect the O2 sensor, as it would interfere with the exhaust measurements at the dyno tuning.

I can't say if a stock standard bike with plugged in O2 sensor and disconnected SLS Tube would run properly. The BMSK may try to lean the air/fuel mixture to the point where the motor starts to stumble or switch to "Limp Home" mode.

One thing is for sure, the SLS System can not overpressure the crank case if a reed valve isn't closing properly. And it definately wont cause excessive oil use.

I would get the cylinders compression checked.....there is were the problem would be.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 PM
Getting up to speed

So I am installing HID lights and wanted to clean my air filter. I was also replacing my fuel tank breather valve that went bad. Then I noticed this picture. Now that I read this thread and looked at oil levels at they are high...

What should I do, just clean the airbox out really well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 624801C2-7791-4CBC-9135-640B1151D475.jpeg (1.47 MB, 22 views)