I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

On the road fix for Quick Disconnects

I will be traveling to try and buy a 1998-2001 K1200RS. The plan is to ride it 500+ miles home after purchase. But plastic Quick Disconnects on the fuel lines might be a problem. I don't want to ride an old bike with plastic disconnects.

First, I couldn't tell from the many posts I read, which year K1200RS had the plastic disconnects? Did any of the early bikes 1998-2001 come without disconnects?

I'd rather have a bike at home when I change the disconnects with upgraded parts, but just to get the bike home safely can I use something like this in place of the plastic disconnects?

5/16" Brass Hose Splicer from Airgas

Plan B is to buy the Beemer Boneyard quick disconnects before my trip and install them if I need them before riding home. However, if simple Splicers will work safely I'd rather do that. I don't want to buy a kit I might not need if there is a simple on-the-road fix.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,140 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: On the road fix for Quick Disconnects

Should work. You’ll never get the current retainer clips off! You going to have to cut the hose on both ends and I don’t recall how much hose is remaining. If it were me. I’d have these on board, but as a just in case need and ride her home with the current QD....

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 09-26-2018, 12:12 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Should work. You’ll never get the current retainer clips off! You going to have to cut the hose on both ends and I don’t recall how much hose is remaining. If it were me. I’d have these on board, but as a just in case need and ride her home with the current QD....
I'm with Paul, I'd carry these on your trip as a precaution, but getting off the current pressure clips is a pain in the arse. I used to travel with barbs in my tool kit just in case. That was before I actually switched them over and realized how un-fun this would be on the road.

If you cut the hose just outside the current pinch clip, I'm pretty sure that you will have enough hose left to use your barb. All that said, if you are planning to do the upgrade anyway, why not buy and carry the metal disconnects to install directly in case of issue. It's usually the same side that breaks and you would only have to fuss with one side while on the road.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 09-26-2018, 12:39 AM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,648 Times in 702 Posts

I'd jump on the frickin thing and ride it home. Unless of course it's leaking when you first inspect it.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
I'd jump on the frickin thing and ride it home. Unless of course it's leaking when you first inspect it.
Well, there's always that. Suppose that some of us were Boy Scouts and "Always Be Prepared" remains in the back of one's mind.

BTW Jeff, you missed a piece, let me fix it for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
I'd jump on the frickin thing, lay it down in a water crossing (or fly it off a mountain), and then ride it home.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,835 Times in 1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
I'm with Paul, I'd carry these on your trip as a precaution, but getting off the current pressure clips is a pain in the arse. I used to travel with barbs in my tool kit just in case. That was before I actually switched them over and realized how un-fun this would be on the road.

If you cut the hose just outside the current pinch clip, I'm pretty sure that you will have enough hose left to use your barb. All that said, if you are planning to do the upgrade anyway, why not buy and carry the metal disconnects to install directly in case of issue. It's usually the same side that breaks and you would only have to fuss with one side while on the road.

I still carry a barb and two fuel line clamps in case someone at a rally needs a repair.
When I did a repair on the way to Arkansas on Deb's bike one end came off without trouble but the other end had to be cut. There's barely enough hose to cut any off.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-26-2018, 01:03 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Technically.....you'd only need one QD at the fuel return line.

Disconnecting the pressure line at the fuel pump flange?A teaspoon or two of gasoline will dribble out from the tank.

I ran with barbed connectors instead of QDs for years.Disconnected lines at the tank to remove the tank?Easy but one has to quickly plug the return pipe.Never spilled more fuel that a rag under the tank couldn't catch.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 09-27-2018, 01:42 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I still carry a barb and two fuel line clamps in case someone at a rally needs a repair.
When I did a repair on the way to Arkansas on Deb's bike one end came off without trouble but the other end had to be cut. There's barely enough hose to cut any off.

What a great photo. Haven’t seen that one in a while. Is that a rock you’re sitting on?
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Tom Hennig' for this post:
Old 09-27-2018, 08:32 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Had broken plastic disconnect on my R1150rt. Made temporary replacement with short length of aluminium tubing and hose clamps till I got stainless metal discconnects.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pedro the swift' for this post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Corkus, when are you planning on picking up the bike?

Forget spare parts and tools. Just get Lee to ride back with you! Lee is prepared for anything short of a complete overhaul and carries it all in a tiny bag somewhere on his bike. I am not sure about his chair. See picture above.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
Old 09-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hennig
Is that a rock you’re sitting on?

Yep, Debbie found it and carried it over for me.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Site Contributor

Why don't you just have the seller replace the quick disconnects before you purchase the bike? Any competent mechanic should be able to switch them out if the seller doesn't want to tackle the job. Problem solved
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft
Why don't you just have the seller replace the quick disconnects before you purchase the bike? Any competent mechanic should be able to switch them out if the seller doesn't want to tackle the job. Problem solved

Thanks everyone for the replies. It was easy to figure out this question reading the comments. The plan is to travel 500 miles at least, look at a few bikes that fit what I'm looking for, and ride the bike back. I can't have a mechanic conveniently do this job on the road and I'm not waiting for a seller to do anything. Plus I'm hoping to be the only competent mechanic this bike ever sees.

I am going to carry the 2 brass splicers and hose clamps and as a couple of comments suggested, ride the bike back and keep a close eye out for any fuel line problems. I'll fix it right when I get it home.

I did like the aluminum tubing idea but I have the splicers.

So if I'm fortunate enough to find the right bike on this trip I could be on an RS in less than a week. And wrenching on it then too I'm sure.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, I wouldn't buy this bike without this discussion board. There is so much information and so many answers here.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Corkus' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Technically.....you'd only need one QD at the fuel return line.

Disconnecting the pressure line at the fuel pump flange?A teaspoon or two of gasoline will dribble out from the tank.

I ran with barbed connectors instead of QDs for years.Disconnected lines at the tank to remove the tank?Easy but one has to quickly plug the return pipe.Never spilled more fuel that a rag under the tank couldn't catch.

My 2000 did not come with disconnects. Never had a leak. I just pull the lines apart on that very rare occasion it's needed.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pete_Tallahassee' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkus
Thanks everyone for the replies. It was easy to figure out this question reading the comments. The plan is to travel 500 miles at least, look at a few bikes that fit what I'm looking for, and ride the bike back. I can't have a mechanic conveniently do this job on the road and I'm not waiting for a seller to do anything. Plus I'm hoping to be the only competent mechanic this bike ever sees.

Didn't realize you were going to look at a few different bikes, I thought you had already decided on a specific K12RS. Have fun with your search
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
My 2000 did not come with disconnects. Never had a leak. I just pull the lines apart on that very rare occasion it's needed.

Thanks for posting Pete. I was thinking you said the early RSs did not have quick disconnects.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkus

I am going to carry the 2 brass splicers and hose clamps .

This is the type of clamp you need.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post: