I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

K1200gt starting problem

my k1200gt (2005, brick motor) won't start first time when cold (10C). Cranks ok, fires and runs at low idle for a few seconds then stops, sometimes with a small cough (backfire). Next start straight away is perfect and starts and runs perfect all day. Any ideas, my thinking is a faulty o2 sensor??
Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: K1200gt starting problem

Just an educated guess, my thinking is the fuel pump is not priming, do you hear the fuel pump turn on for a second or two when you turn the key on? When the bike sits over night or longer, sometimes the fuel pressure will leak down, and there won't be enough pressure to fire the injectors, once the bike is running the fuel pump will continue to keep the pressure up, and unless you have a serious injector leaking the pressure will remain constant for the rest of the day. There should be a fuel pump relay, that turns the pump on to pressurize the system when the key is turned on and started button pushed. I'm sure Jean will be along to give you exact details.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:03 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,119 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolwa1200gt
my k1200gt (2005, brick motor) won't start first time when cold (10C). Cranks ok, fires and runs at low idle for a few seconds then stops, sometimes with a small cough (backfire). Next start straight away is perfect and starts and runs perfect all day. Any ideas, my thinking is a faulty o2 sensor??

It would be important to know if you are the new owner of this used bike... -OR- if you had the bike for a long time but you are having a new problem (that just appeared). If the latter case applies, what recent maintenance / work was done on this bike?

Many K1200RS and K1200GT of 2003-2004 had an incorrect / problematic Motronic-ECU version that would cause problem on cold start. I would be very surprised if a 2005 model still had this problematic ECU as BMW came out with a better / corrected version in 2004.

If you just bought a used K1200GT, then you may want to check this video on YouTube for symptoms of this problem ECU. Note that engine will die / choke only when throttle is applied. Once engine is warmed up, these symptoms disappear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFvicSViKE

P.S. Edit:
I forgot to answer last part of your post about O2 sensor: during start, even more so for cold start, the O2 sensor is not used by the BOSCH Motronic EFI, hence this cannot be the problem. Only after about 45 sec (when engine is already warm) or 1.5 minutes (if engine was cold) will the O2 sensor feedback be used to go in "close-loop" mode.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Yeah that.....I fixed that all right.

What was the title of my thread? That I think.....hard to start in cold weather.

10C? Not very cold by my standard.But do you pull the clutch as you start the engine? That is SOP in the rider's manual under "starting in cold weather".

If clutch not pulled you may be dragging the transmission/rear wheel.That's good for a few drops in RPMs.More than a few at just above freezing.....!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. As a new forum user please excuse me while I'm learning how to use it properly.
It seems that the problem could be the fuel pressure dropping when not running. If I turn the key first time, let the pump run, turn off, then turn on again, starts and runs OK.
I have had the bike about a year, 40,000km, when purchased. Initially starting without any problems, only recently started having problem, coming into our winter, maybe a coincidence and problem could have nothing to do with cooler weather.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,119 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. As a new forum user please excuse me while I'm learning how to use it properly.

It seems that the problem could be the fuel pressure dropping when not running. If I turn the key first time, let the pump run, turn off, then turn on again, starts and runs OK.
I have had the bike about a year, 40,000km, when purchased. Initially starting without any problems, only recently started having problem, coming into our winter, maybe a coincidence and problem could have nothing to do with cooler weather.

OK... so based on your description this would rule out the problematic ECU version of most 2003-2004 models (since you said it worked well for 1 year).

HOWEVER, you have NOT answered if any recent work / maintenance was done on bike (close to period of this new problem). By experience, I would say 50% of these problems are caused by something that was recently done.

After the above, the other cases of similar problem are most commonly related to:
(1) engine coolant sensor is defective or connector not seated. This item is critical for EFI system to enrich fueling for cold start. There are ways to "roughly" test this sensor with OhmMeter, but it would be better to ALSO get a fault read-out. Motronic-EFI logged faults can be read with either: GS911 or a dealer's computer.

(2) incorrect free play at throttle-cables. This confuses the EFI system when ignition is turned ON as the Throttle-Position-Sensor (TPS) assumes that the throttle-bodies are always returning normally to their closed idle setting.

(3) intake air leak caused loose of damaged vacuum hose

(4) intake air leak caused by other intake rubber components (around throttle bodies)

Based on your description above, we may be tempted to think low-fuel-pressure is a potential cause. However these EFI system are VERY sensitive to low fuel pressure in ALL running conditions and RPM - hence I would assume this would cause other engine issues when running.

OF COURSE, in all above I am assuming that engine works well once it is warmed up. Otherwise many other items would also need to be checked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 06-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I'd say not the fuel pressure.My bike was doing the same and yes turning the ignition On/Off/On and jolting the throttle some made it start better.

I was actually coming here to suggest that.But your bike is a 2005 with the updated TBs with bearings instead of bushings at the throttle shafts so shouldn't show any binding of the butterflies etc as in my case.

Now....Do you pull the clutch in when starting in cold weather?Rather significant extra drag if you don't and the TVA may not react fast enough and the engine will stall.With the scary big Clack of the starter clutch....!

Once started with clutch pulled in....releasing the clutch even in neutral will drop the RPMs momentarily.

Maybe adapt your starting procedure to the cold weather and ride on? Took me a couple years from first noticing the signs until I fixed that.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 11-23-2018, 05:47 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,280 Posts

Old thread, recently a friend with a 2015 GS was having this sort of problem, no start on first try. Two tanks of seafoam treatment cleared up the problem. I think once a year would be reasonable.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 AM
Site Contributor

Jean, this is sounding exactly like the starting problem I had which I discussed with you recently - struggling to idle at startup and often stalling but ok on the second startup, and eventually idling nicely. Interestingly, I had a spare temp sensor and when this was connected and the sensor placed in very cold water, startups were perfect every time as the ECU enriched the fuel further to compensate for the interpreted colder ambient temperature. This lead you to believe an air leak was the culprit. Like goolwa my problems occurred when the ambient temperature in the garage was 10șC. I removed and cleaned the TB manifolds, but more importantly reseated the TB stubs by polishing them with emory paper on glass to get them perfectly flat and this I believe made the difference. The problem with the stubs is that in time, the brass collars sit proud of the plastic stub preventing it from sealing correctly on the head. Pierre has alluded to this a number of times and I think goolwa probably needs to check all areas known to fail, allowing excess air into the fuel mixture.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Ah....the vacuum leak at the intake manifolds.

Mine had been lapped.Only lasted a few 10s of thousands of kms.Found a very good flat and cheap set on fleabay and that fixed it.

Funny the warped ones,I put them in the shop oven at 300F.Less than 10 minutes and they came out straight as checked on the large flat porthole glass I use for lapping.But as they cooled I watched them warp again Repeated the bake....same results.

Someone alluded that brand new stubs he had bought weren't flat?That was a few years ago and not much details given then.But got me thinking that just maybe BMW specs them like that?And then they straighten up as the engine warms up?

Fixed 100,000 kms ago.No problems with that,I keep my bike suitably dirty during the riding season and haven't noticed any oily telltales around the TBs that would surely indicate a vacuum leak.

Still....might be time for me to remove the TBs for an inspection?Altough the red rubber grease I applied to the rubber manifolds has done an excellent job at keeping my OEMs supple and crack free all the way to 266Ks may be time to replenish that grease.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-24-2018, 12:17 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,280 Posts

Red Rubber grease! The secret to success.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.