I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Found some problems on an RS for sale, how bad are they?

I looked at a beautiful 1999 K1200RS today. Fantastic motor, worn stock shocks, 31K miles, $2,900. I wanted to take the bike home but didn't because I found some problems. I did not know how bad the problems were but they stopped me from buying the bike. So, here's the rundown, how bad I thought the problems were, etc. Please tell me how bad these problems really were. I'd like to know if I was close or way off in my thinking.

1. Spinning the rear wheel was not smooth. It felt like there was a little bit of resistance to spinning the wheel that shouldn't be there and it felt like there was some tiny gravel in the bearings. I have no idea what I was feeling but it didn't feel good. My level of concern was medium. I thought it would need new bearings. I wasn't thinking deal breaker but I would have had to ride the bike 300 miles home on bad bearings and that was a concern.

2. Leak #1: there was oil coming from the black cover at the front of the engine under the radiators. I figured this was a leaky timing chain cover and not a serious leak but one that would sure be a hassle to RTV. Not a deal breaker. Level of concern: low to medium.

3. Leak #2: I found oil collecting in an area on the bottom of the motor I'd describe as on the seam that runs up the sides of the bike behind the black oil pan. Basically this is the seam that runs up the side of the bike behind the heat shield next to the shifter. This I took to be a deal breaker. I had no idea how serious this was. I had doubts that this might be oil from a bad O-ring or Rear Main Seal somehow. I did not like the location of the oil leak. This was not oil from Leak #1 and I couldn't find any oil coming down from the sides of the bike. I thought it could possibly be a leaky oil pan because there might have been some weird gasket goo at the back of the oil pan. But why would the oil pan have come off? Even though I thought it might be a bad oil pan gasket, my level of concern was very high. Deal breaker high.

4. Left Saddle Bag had heat damage. The lid would close, but not seal perfectly. Something was heat warped. There was a quarter sized hole in the bag where it melted at the back corner by the muffler. I could fix the hole and that heat damage but the bag being warped I doubt I could fix that. Level of concern: Medium. Probably needed a new bag.

5. Steering damper had crud built up on both sides of the plunger. It looked like it needed a rebuild. Those can be rebuilt right? Level of concern: low.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Found some problems on an RS for sale, how bad are they?

Hey Corkus, probably a very good idea to pass this one by. The oil at the back of the motor is probably the dreaded O-ring/output seal failure, and unless you are mechanically minded with a few tools in the garage, this will cost more than you paid for the bike to repair when added to the other potential problems.
Suspension at 31k should still be fine so if it handles poorly look at the rear wheel as by your description it sounds/feels like the crown wheel bearing is on the way out. Could also be pivot bearings at the final drive.
Hard to accurately diagnose the other problems however the leaking timing cover can be a bit of a bitch to seal tight.
Steering damper can be rebuilt but recommended only for owners with good mechanical skills - get it wrong and the results could be fatal. Many owners replace it with an aftermarket item or simply remove it and run without it.
There are plenty of other areas prone to problems too, notably the ABS unit although on this model it is repairable by Module Master. Transmission output seal and clutch slave cylinder are other areas prone to leaks. With such low mileage it may have been left sitting for extended periods affecting brake lines which if oem should be replaced with stainless items regardless. Fuel quick disconnects need to be stainless as if still plastic they are prone to failure.
My advice when looking at a potential purchase is to go for the bike with the most accurate and comprehensive maintenance records regardless of mileage. My bike has 171,000km's on it, and in the 16 years I have owned it from new, logged every service, maintenance repair and filed every single receipt.
I am sure others will chime in with plenty of additional advice when looking at these great bikes.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Getting up to speed

Price seems high to me. I picked up one last summer with more miles and severe leakage for $2000. It turned out the leak was simple stuff and neglect. If you can talk him down the crown bearing is repairable for a fee or even a simple swap with a good used unit (Ebay or Beemerboneyard). The rear main leak is inexpensive if (Big IF) you have the tools, time, and basic mechanical knack.

A leaky bag is a PITA and replacements are more difficult to come by. Steering damper isn't an issue unless you are pushing it or have improper tire pressures.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:00 PM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,517 Posts

Keep looking, there are some great deals to be had.

This is in Florida but for just about the same price you get a lot more for your money.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...-RS-5004155516
Old 09-13-2018, 07:07 AM
Shooting the gap

+1 That looks like a really nice deal! Sadly the value continues to drop on these but it's market-wide.
WOW,, shocks, exhaust, TWO sets of wheels & chipped to boot!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:28 AM
ŘZNAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsig
+1 That looks like a really nice deal!
If it was closer to me, I would buy it!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
If it was closer to me, I would buy it!
Rick, you could buy it and store it at Rob’s house and pick it up next time you go to DGR?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM
ŘZNAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Rick, you could buy it and store it at Rob’s house and pick it up next time you go to DGR?
I think Rob has had enough of storing bikes for people.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,726 Times in 1,229 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

You can get a sweet deal from James Texas here on the site. He's got a couple of them, babied from day one, never went over 55mph...

He's pretty old but he's still kickin' !

Give him a ping, he's been waiting for that for a little while.

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135