I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Fuel tank vent/float

Hi All,It's been a while since I have asked for help and I do need it now.
I am adjusting the valves on my 2004 K1200Rs with 40,000 mi. on it and not sure if the valves have ever been adjusted. My problem is this is the first time I have taken the tank off. That accomplished, the filler neck is rusty around the vent hole so with the tank empty and off I tried blowing compressed air down through the vent hole and no luck, complety blocked.
So I figure I would try from the other end, not knowing which hose was what the first one I tried was the hose that went to the float assembly attached to the filler neck, the assembly was out of the tank and it was my mistake using the wrong hose, I should have been able to tell, anyway when I put compressed air to it it blew the float apart with a loud pop. I did find the 2 halves and if I can find a suitable product was going to try to epoxy it back together. A new assembly is $150. My question is just how does this float work? It has 2 very small holes in it one on the top half and one directly below it in the bottom half. it will obviously allow fuel in and out, is there someway to eliminate this device or circumvent it? Thanks Ray
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Fuel tank vent/float

Personally I would toss it in the trash, try looking on ebay for a replacement.
God forbid that epoxy start to come apart in the tank, that could and probably open up a whole new can of worms. My .02 worth!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 AM
Site Contributor

That thing is interesting. It’s a baffle to prevent fuel from sloshing out the vent, yet allowing a circuitous path for ventilation. I agree. Toss it and keep an eye out for a used one.

Mine clunked around in the bottom of my tank for five years, me not knowing what was causing all the commotion. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I took the big dive into the tank to figure it out. I didn’t notice any ill effects from it being off, but it wasn’t right, so...
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,258 Posts

I big use is to keep fuel from draining out if you lay the bike down. keep that in mind. But You can set it up as a vent. Put a small vent filter (they are out there) in the hose end as there are some weird species of spider that make nests in gas vent hoses and plug them up. For real. It is a fire safety device, without it all is on you.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

That thing is mostly a restrictor.Tiny hole to vent the tank instead of the larger hole in the pipe.Fuel will still come out if layed down or overfilled etc but much less than if straight out of the pipe.So less chance of filling up the carbon canister(if so equipped) with gas thus causing poor engine performance.

My whole flange was rusty.Mostly under at the gasket mating surface.Plenty of wash/rain water can accumulate around there and won't drain as the recess is lower than the drain hole.Corrodes the flange!Bike wash is always followed by an opening of the cap,rag in the fill hole and a good blast of compressed air.

Mind you...I had the flange powdercoated as soon as I figured out the peculiarities of that arrangement.Has been holding well for 8-9 years the powdercoat.

Plastic Epoxy? I don't know about that but that it worked very well on some Makita nylon parts I fixed recently.One would have to figure out the composition of the plastic first and verify compatibility? In the Loctite plastic epoxy data sheet?The BMW part may be marked as to its composition?

Don't know if the plastic epoxy is fuel proof? The Loctite Titanium steel epoxy certainly is fuel proof.I fixed/rebuilt the rusty fuel tank flange on my old Toyota with that about 10yrs ago.Never leaked or degraded.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 AM
Site Contributor

I traced excess fuel draining from the tank after a full top up some years ago to a split in the side of the float where the two halves are joined. As soon as the fuel expanded in the tank on a hot day, fuel would unceremoniously dump itself on the ground with the only way to stop the flow was to open the fuel cap to release the pressure build up. Eventually I pulled the float to chrome the filler neck. I previously had it zinc plated as original but that didn't last very long. Chrome has been awesome and shows no detonation. The float was epoxy glued with fuel resistant glue and has not perished at all. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what the glue was as I had a body shop do the work.
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM

The Loctite plastic epoxy is sold as "for fuel tank repairs etc....!)Same with the JBWeld product but JB has 3(?) types of plastic epoxies.I'll go look later at which one I bought recently?I puzzled over the display for a while but one thing for sure the fuel proof spec is what I looked for.

Apparently my finely engineered( ) american car is prone to cracking the tank at the pump flange.So says the letter the manufacturer sent me.Do not drive if smells like gas.Tow 250kms to a shop?That's not going to happen the tow part but epoxy most probably will.

Neighbor's Nissan was off the road for quite a while last year.Cracked plastic tank.Replacement shipped from Asia got lost at sea so old guy had to hitchike for weeks until he found someone that epoxied his tank.Bummer I wasn't around I'd have lent him my car while I epoxied his tank.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM

I lifted the football pic off Max's parts fiche. Hard to read the composition but if the OP has the part in hand.....marked as POM?

POM plastic with common trade names.Most commonly called Delrin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

Loctite Plastic Bonder:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...tic-Bonder.htm

Loctite TDS(Technical data sheet):

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/EPXY_PLSTC_S_tds.pdf
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24