I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Tired of Tires? Diablo Rosso III's ?

Hi All, am coming to the end of the "sweet deal" Diablo Rosso Corsa rear I bought last year...

I loved the handling of the tires (installed F/R as a set), and the front probably has another season on it. The rear is mostly worn at the center, its a little hard to tell where the 'wear bars' are.

Question: Has anyone tried the Diablo Rosso III (non-Corsa) tire? I notice they (DRs or DRCs) dont even show up on the latest poll.

The profile looks similar to the DRC (which I think contributes to the easier L/R transitions).

Was wondering if it would be OK to put a 'less grippy' DR III on the rear and leave the front DRC until next season...

Thoughts? (FYI not sure if this posts in General K13 or K13 Tires... where I wanted to post it).
john
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanked 1,436 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Tired of Tires? Diablo Rosso III's ?

Hey John. I fitted a pair of drc IIIs on my k12r for last year's oz iBMW rally. Very impressed with the grip levels in wet (it pissed down) and the dry. It laid into corners very easily and the wear rate is excellent. My favourite tyre has always been the supercorsa sp but I rate the Rosso III right up there but with better wear.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Hey John. I fitted a pair of drc IIIs on my k12r for last year's oz iBMW rally. Very impressed with the grip levels in wet (it pissed down) and the dry. It laid into corners very easily and the wear rate is excellent. My favourite tyre has always been the supercorsa sp but I rate the Rosso III right up there but with better wear.

Hey John, I followed Capt Howdy down the twisty mountain (Mt Hotham) with no guard rails on day 3 of the last Australian Rally. This guy can ride very well, and fully loaded for touring, coming down that hill, he was carving it up on those tyres, with mogs in front. And yes it pissed down rain a few days too.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

I'm not one to sing any tyre's praises, BUT...the Angel GT's did/have impressed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
This guy can ride very well, and fully loaded for touring, coming down that hill, he was carving it up on those tyres, with mogs in front.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 09-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Site Contributor

I" think" aussie k 13 has them on his motorsport says he cant wear them out but the ride is a bit harsh, I think !!

The older I get, the better I was

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'greyfox' for this post:
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Another Pirelli Angel GT (Non A-Spec) fan here. Getting about 6500 miles out of them. They're not only good for the first 3000 miles but actually very good all the way to the wear bars. Not many tires in my experience do so well at the tread end of life.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 09-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Any concerns on mixing the 'harder' rear Diablo Rosso III with the stickier (but 3000
km used) Rosso Corsa front? Angel GT will have to wait for next year I think.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Site Contributor

Just put DR IIIs on my '15 RR. Ride is good. Wet traction is good. The OEM Corsa that came on it would activate traction control in the wet. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my throttle hand! I've ridden in the rain and haven't had that problem with the DR III yet.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscreech
Any concerns on mixing the 'harder' rear Diablo Rosso III with the stickier (but 3000
Perhaps it's just my quirk, but whatever tire you chose, I highly recommend never changing one tire at a time, and never mixing different tire types... tires are just too critical a component of equipment to improvise with...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 09-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

I have run a sport front (Michelin Pilot Pure) and a sport/touring rear (Pilot Road 2) Sport front does give a little more confidence in the front-end...BUT, both tyres will wear out together.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscreech
Old 09-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Perhaps it's just my quirk, but whatever tire you chose, I highly recommend never changing one tire at a time, and never mixing different tire types... tires are just too critical a component of equipment to improvise with...

I have mixed tyres in the past, changed front and rear at different times for the sake of finishing off a tyre. Never had a problem. In fact the Michelin PR4 rear (less than half worn) with a Metzler Roadtec 01 front, was an excellent combination, and the front still looked good by the time the PR4 was getting to the end of its life, so on with a matching Roadtec 01 rear after that. And before that I changed out a punctured angel GT rear for that PR4. So I rode with a half worn Pirelli angel GT front and a brand new Michelin PR4 rear on the last day of Rally II, there was no changing of riding style, flat stick all the way that day chasing Mogs to Mitta Mitta. He also had changed his rear for a new and was running a different brand front. K-man changes tyres between sets to run out a half worn tyre too. Lots of guys in Australia do this, and never have problems. Never heard of anyone coming off their bike becauze their tyres didnt match. Tyres down here are expensive too.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:16 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox
I" think" aussie k 13 has them on his motorsport says he cant wear them out but the ride is a bit harsh, I think !!
Correct.

They are fantastic wet and dry for grip and feedback & seem like they will last forever
BUT on the K13 Motorsport I found they made the bike feel harsh and stiff on rough roads - which or government prefers to build here in Oz.
They do have the usual Pirelli characteristics of falling into corners when worn....they just dont look really worn (at 6500km)
Way too stiff in the sidewalls for Jenns S1000R as well
So Im going back to Angel GT and S21 Bridgestone for Jenn
Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
I have mixed tyres in the past, changed front and rear at different times for the sake of finishing off a tyre. Never had a problem. In fact the Michelin PR4 rear (less than half worn) with a Metzler Roadtec 01 front, was an excellent combination, and the front still looked good by the time the PR4 was getting to the end of its life, so on with a matching Roadtec 01 rear after that. And before that I changed out a punctured angel GT rear for that PR4. So I rode with a half worn Pirelli angel GT front and a brand new Michelin PR4 rear on the last day of Rally II, there was no changing of riding style, flat stick all the way that day chasing Mogs to Mitta Mitta. He also had changed his rear for a new and was running a different brand front. K-man changes tyres between sets to run out a half worn tyre too. Lots of guys in Australia do this, and never have problems. Never heard of anyone coming off their bike becauze their tyres didnt match. Tyres down here are expensive too.
As I said, perhaps it's just my quirk... I didn't say anything about anyone coming off their bike. The fact is, with proper riding a set of matched tires should wear roughly the same...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
As I said, perhaps it's just my quirk... I didn't say anything about anyone coming off their bike. The fact is, with proper riding a set of matched tires should wear roughly the same...

Hey Charlie, " the fact is, with proper riding a set of matched tires should wear roughly the same..." is an opinion, not a fact. We could start a whole thread on what we all consider "proper riding" is. I realize nothing was said about people coming off their bikes, I was just addressing the fear that is being associated with running different tyres.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,207 Posts

"Tyres down here are expensive too." This is a reasonable item to factor in. I too suggest changing tires in sets if they are close. But we have access to cheap tires here. I have suggested this two tire change pattern to some riders as I change their tires. Mainly because I see them trying to get the last mile out of one tire or the other and go past the safe limit of a tire. I have a set of Bridgestone S20's on my S bike and they are no available but the S21 replaces them. I'm surprised how much I like them and the price. And, I have to say, I buy them in pairs, change them myself so it is cheap.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.