I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Most amount of mileage on 1 trip?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Most amount of mileage on 1 trip?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Twisted Wrister

Smile Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecky
Hi.
August 2012 trip from Inverness, Scotland to Nordkapp in Norway and back via Newcastle, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, then up north west coast of Norway then back through Finland To Turku, over to Stockholm and back home through Denmark, Germany, and Netherlands again. It was 5970 miles in 16 days with 12 nights in my tent and 3 on ferries. Did it on my own at very short notice which was different but great freedom. Did it on R1150GS hopefully shown if attachment works!

Hi,
GREAT ride! Do you have and GPS tracks, etc.? Do you have a ride report ?
Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 12-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: So, longest m'cycle trip you've been on?

Hi Robert.
I'll dig out my route details over the next couple of days with details of ferries and campsites etc.
I'm not a complete technophobe but you've got me flummoxed with "GPS tracks" but I did cover most of the trip with my Garmin Nuvi 1290T with Euro mapping, which is actually a car GPS I used with a cover - us Scots are known for being miserly!!
I will investigate this and see what I can salvage, wish me luck
Old 12-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Hi Robert.
I'll dig out my route details over the next couple of days with details of ferries and campsites etc.
I'm not a complete technophobe but you've got me flummoxed with "GPS tracks" but I did cover most of the trip with my Garmin Nuvi 1290T with Euro mapping, which is actually a car GPS I used with a cover - us Scots are known for being miserly!!
I will investigate this and see what I can salvage, wish me luck

Wishing LUCK! THANKS and Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 12-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi Robert.

I like a challenge so hear goes? First of all hopefully I have attached my trip itinery then I'll try to attach the GPS tracks - new here so not sure if you can attach more than one file per message. Unfortunately I have either wiped out 17/8/12 and 22/8/12 tracks or they haven't archived for some reason and there are no tracks for the UK because I could do that bit blind folded!! The track file is in gpx format from Garmin Basecamp just in case this doen't work and I need advice from learned members - near certainty .
Ah ha just the itinery for now because the tracks file is still 1.6mb after zipping (was 10.4). Anyone got any ideas how to compress it further?

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Scandinavian Itinary.doc (47.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Hi Robert.

I like a challenge so hear goes? First of all hopefully I have attached my trip itinerary then I'll try to attach the GPS tracks - new here so not sure if you can attach more than one file per message. Unfortunately I have either wiped out 17/8/12 and 22/8/12 tracks or they haven't archived for some reason and there are no tracks for the UK because I could do that bit blind folded!! The track file is in gpx format from Garmin Basecamp just in case this doesn't work and I need advice from learned members - near certainty .
Ah ha just the itinerary for now because the tracks file is still 1.6mb after zipping (was 10.4). Anyone got any ideas how to compress it further?

Cheers.

Hi, Got the itinerary. No idea about file compression.
Ride Safe, And thanks for what I got so far,
Robert
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Getting up to speed

3200 miles in 7 days.
DFW to NC and back with a side trip to Tail of the Dragon
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Idling in far east WV

Two up, Memphis to Seattle, 7500 miles, in August 2007. Had 7500 miles on a new bike and new tires for the trip. Took 30 days. Lots of ride experiences. Past into and out of Sturgis the 3rd night out. In our planning for the trip Sturgis never entered my/our mind. Still have the Rushmore parking band on the bike. That day out of Keystone, ND thru Rapid City and then on to the Badlands, headed for Dickinson, ND. We had covered a lot of ground to get to Dickinson, then slowed down the pace. At Dickinson, we used US 2 or 20 with side trips all the way to Puget Sound.

Since then did a 4000 miler from Shepherdstown to Alamogordo. On that trip we accomplished our best one day slab of 613 miles ending in Terra Haute.

But I'll say there is nothing compared to a late afternoon and evening ride into Dickinson while crossing the High Plains.

Since July 2007, we've been riding on Rick Mayer seats with Alaska Leather sheep skin pads. Still riding the same set up.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'TomSS' for this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Site Contributor

I graduated High School in 1979. Spent 4+ weeks traveling across the country with 2 of my uncles. I left Mpls and met my uncles in Iowa. We then headed south to the Smokey mountains. We then headed west and made stops including Rocky Mountain National Park, Arches, Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon. My uncle was a marathoner and had just got me into running and so we also did a lot of hiking. It was jus an incredible experience for an 18 yr old kid and I'm forever grateful to them for introducing me to what has continued to be my three greatest passions in life. Motorcycling, running and hiking. I'd guess we covered somewhere between 5,000-6,000 miles. I was riding a Honda CX500 custom.

Wasn't exactly ATGATT back then.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Entering the on-ramp

couple of years ago I went from Wisconsin to Pruhdoe Bay Alaska and back in 14 days. Round trip was close to 12K miles. I would go there and back anytime, awesome trip.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'kingklr' for this post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,266 Times in 777 Posts

Last year in May, rte66 all the way to Santa Monica from Montreal and back via San Francisco, Las Vegas, Utah and Colorado total of 13000km in 20 days (two up)

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EricM' for this post:
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingklr
couple of years ago I went from Wisconsin to Pruhdoe Bay Alaska and back in 14 days. Round trip was close to 12K miles. I would go there and back anytime, awesome trip.

That was a 'TRIP'! 12K in 14 days, my hat's off to you!
Ride Safe,
Robert
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Getting up to speed

Back in the 70's I rode from LA to the east coast and back with some wandering around in between. Nowadays my annual road trip is around five thousand miles. I just can't seem to give it up. Richard.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by defoe
Not the longest,but one I wont forget was recently,A 2800 km trip in two days and six hours from Victor Harbor SA, to Eucla WA. and back.
A pain began shortly after take off in my left arm and shoulder and got progressively worse, on arriving at Eucla next afternoon,when it became worse, I returned about 600 kms to stay with relatives at Smoky Bay.
Next morning almost too painful to hold the bar ,only position was twisted back to the left,with arm and wrist turned back.
After at least 8 painkiller tablets and little benefit I headed home about 800 kms away.
The only time I would use my arm was when I had to use the clutch.
It must have looked odd for the other drivers to see this large black bike hooting past with the rider twisted side on and steering with one arm.
That was four weeks tomorrow and the pain has finally eased. It is a horrible feeling when outback and nearly isolated.
Hey Don,I think I met you late last year at the rissole ride to Goolgowi pub with the FarRiders, it was a good weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM
... ...

Cool! More FarRiders
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Getting up to speed

So far on the hp2 the longest day I have had was 750 miles. I was ready to get off. Richartd
Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester
Hey Don,I think I met you late last year at the rissole ride to Goolgowi pub with the FarRiders, it was a good weekend.
Yes that is true ,it was a good event,we recently had another to Ouyen for lunch organised by Spyder Ryder and Myemee.Over 30 sat down for lunch.Will catch upsoon.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM

I missed the Ouyen ride due to the work roster and looks like I`m working on most FarRides this year but you get that. Catch you on the road somewhere mate. Cheers.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM

What was that `dick` on about.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Couple of years ago (2011), some 16,440km (~10,250 miles) in around 50 days. A little trip around our island, commonly known as a "lap of Oz".
K1200LT towing a fat-ass camper-trailer we'd rented for the trip.
A dream come true.
2005 Orient Blue K1200GT
Ulysses #45310
GS911 owner
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cws' for this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM
... ...

Yep, agree with you, Chris. I did it in 2008. The Lap sure is an amazing experience
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic
Cool! More FarRiders
Hi Frantic,yes you find us everywhere.Hope to get back there one day,last run your way was to Albany several years ago.It was a ride to remember a round trip of over 7k kms.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'defoe' for this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Getting up to speed

Six of us from the BMW Club of Houston rode thru the equator, the Andes mountains, the route of the sun from Esmeraldas to Guayaquil, the Inca ruins of ingapirca, Cuenca, Vilcabamba, Baños during carnaval, Puyo and the rainforest back to Quito. 3,250 glorious miles!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (113.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Last year I did 10.000km in 2 1/2 weeks on my Harley, Ottawa area Canada, to Jacksonville FL some Florida touring, Dallas TX, Sturgis SD touring the Black Hills then back to where I started. To Jacksonville by myself, me and bro-in-law to Dallas, picked up a friend and three of us to Sturgis. From Sturgis we split ways again, I went one way they went the other.
I did close to 5000km solo.

Jos
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Jsphs' for this post:
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

Not the longest trip, but the fastest. Just completed the Motorcycle Tourers Forum Ride Around Texas (RAT). For me it was about 3100 miles in 65 hours, about 53 hours riding. Earned the Iron Butt Association, RAT Insanity gold, SS2000 and SS3000 certificates.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=49707

On the way to the start of the RAT I was gathering Big Money Rally (BMR) bonuses from Memphis, TN to Childress, TX so that was about 1200 miles and then the ride back home another 900 miles. In total about 5200 miles. However, I had just rode in the Cape Fear 1K Rally the weekend before riding about 2100 miles during and from the rally. so about 7500 miles in 10 days more or less.

Ride Safe,
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Deerhead' for this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Shooting the gap

In 2009, a buddy on a GS and I made the trip from Phoenix to E. Tennessee for the MOA Rally and back. We traveled over 4,000 miles.
MOA #24434
My Carbon Fiber R1200S is great!
My bike: http://tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 08-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Entering the on-ramp

K12100rs Stripes

Hi folks i have a plain white 2005 K1200rs ex cop and want to add decals
I see on ebay etc bikes with some nice thick stripes on front fairing and also on tank
Also see chequres on some models
Where can i get them already to fit or do i have to buy a roll of striping/chequers and cut to suit
If so can anyone tell me what size they are

Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Not that this has to do with a longest trip but if you look at the most recent Rider magazine, they have a K1200 in one of the articles with some pretty nice thick stripes on the fairing

Past Loves:
1967 Harley Davidson 250
1971 BMW R/65
1976 Honday 750F
1981 Suzuki 750
Current:
2006 BMW K1200GT
Soon:
2013 BMW K1600GT
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Re: K12100rs Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavidboy1959
Hi folks i have a plain white 2005 K1200rs ex cop and want to add decals
I see on ebay etc bikes with some nice thick stripes on front fairing and also on tank
Also see chequres on some models
Where can i get them already to fit or do i have to buy a roll of striping/chequers and cut to suit
If so can anyone tell me what size they are

Hi David

May be is convenient to post this question in another thread related with decals, just try a search (look at the menu above), and look for "Decals"

for example this : http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50747
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Getting up to speed

4 times in the last 6 years i've travelled to British Columbia from New Brunswick on my 85 K100, my '03 K1200GT (twice) and my '04 R1200GS last year. The longest tour was in 2012 which went all the way to Comox on Vancouver Island about 12,000 km round trip.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:03 AM
B2R

Send a message via Skype™ to B2R

Before I got a K1300GT the longest distance tour I made was about 1000 km over a weekend to a nice weekend spot. It was hard work and I never thought I would go further.

My longest single trip now is 7420 km over 20 days circumventing the country. I have done that 3 times now. The last 5 years I did 95000 km on 4 bikes riding every moment I can!

I must also say that this mostly with my better half on the back. I just have to think and she is packed and ready to go.!

What a life!
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'B2R' for this post:
Old 10-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Rode around Australia in 1988 and 1989 on a 1976 Ducati 860GT.
Epic!

Bert in Tasmania

2005 BMW K1200R
2007 Triumph Thruxton (modified)
1975 Norton Commando Mk 3 850 Interstate
1974 Norton Commando Mk 2a 850 Fastbacked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ducati.jpg (71.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Send a message via Skype™ to Sid47

6,140km down the East Coast and South of Australia then up the middle of the eastern side,in 10 days 2-up on R1100RT. 2-man tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 mattresses, and clothes for 10 days. The relationship survived intact. Epic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4akalqsmx...%2003.pdf?dl=0
Old 12-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Getting up to speed

A good buddy of mine, and myself, road tested for Honda research in Torrance, Ca. during the summer months from 1980 until 1990. I had an 1985 Goldwing and he bought a new 1990 Goldwing. In June of '90 we rode throughout the western states........Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming into Canada, to Washington, Oregon, and finally back to Torrance, California. We didn't have any real riding schedule other than covering the states mentioned, so when we saw something of interest we'd spend more time investigating. One unique thing was that Dave (riding buddy) had lost the sight in one eye about a year prior to this ride. He continued to test for Honda for another 2 summers after the loss of sight in that one eye! I could never figure how he could ride with one eye because of the loss of peripheral vision......try it sometime! We would always stop riding before it got dark because Dave had a real problem riding at night.
We rode for the entire month of July, covering over 6,000 miles of some great riding. The only down side of the entire ride was that we got at least some rain for 17 straight days.....I wouldn't trade that trip for anything!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM

In September of 2013 I made a solo ride on my 94 CBR 1000F, 6500+ miles in 17 days. Started in Cincinnati, then Bad Lands/Mt. Rushmore, Yellow Stone, Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe, The Reno Air Races, Then back east to home via Grand Junction and St. Louis. Only three rain storms and one ticket all on the way back. Some camping, some cheap motels and a stay with family in Truckee, CA.
Fantastic trip and wish I could have shared it with the ever-lovin on the back, but she's not crazy in that way.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:56 PM

20,000km (12,500 miles)

France
Spain
Morocco
Back to Spain and France
Corsica
Sardinia
Sicily
Tunisia
Sicily
Italy
Albania
Montenegro
Bosnia
Croatia
Slovenia
Italy
France
Belgium
Germany
France

Brought the bike home at the end of the trip

-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

Old 09-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Boston to VIR in 2005 and 2007 on my '95 RF900R I rode for 20 years without a hitch. Roughly 1500 miles each trip.

Took the long way home via Blue Ridge Parkway in '07.

Bought an '07 K12S in June '15 and hope to take longer trips with it.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:53 PM
Site Contributor

1978 Laverda 3c turned Jota ,1979 girlfriend 2up NC.,south ,west,north,back east to NC 8,000 miles, 2,1/2 months, a memory of my twentys ! And yes that Laverda was Bad Ass !!! I owned it for 2,1/2 years and put 40,000 miles on it
Old 10-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Shooting the gap

1976...rode my Honda 750F from Vanouver, B.C., to Acapolco Mexico. Can't remember the mileage, but it seemd like a long ways! I spent more money paying kids to watch my bike than on anything else. Fuel was the biggest problem, as it had not yet converted to "state fuel", and to deal with mom and pop stations with questionable gas. Oh, those where the days!!

Craig

A recent study found the average Canadian walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found Canadians drink, on average, 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Canadians get about 41 miles to the gallon. Kind of makes you proud to be Canadian, doesn't it??!!

1972 Honda 450 SL
1976 Honda 750 F
1976 Yamaha XS 650
1978 Honda 125 CL
1982 Suzuki GS 1100
2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2009 Aprilia RS 125
2010 BMW K 1300 S
2017 BMW S1000RR
Old 10-09-2016, 04:07 AM
Shooting the gap

In 2014 I rode from Southern California to the top of Alaska at Prudhoe Bay and back in 20 days totaling about eight thousand miles. It was absolutely the trip of a lifetime
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

Yeah, I wanted to re phrase my longest trip. Fifty four years and 1.25 + million miles.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,174 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Yeah, I wanted to re phrase my longest trip. Fifty four years and 1.25 + million miles.
Wow! That's some mileage bud!

25,000 miles a year on a bike...

I don't even come close...

I'm envious

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 03-09-2017, 08:05 PM

600 miles from Lake George in New York via Bike week in NH from Massachusetts. Two Blackbirds and a Valkyrie, my bro and Uncle Bob. The last 250 were the best. The Mass Pike was a warmup for 128, we did it in way less than 3 hours. Triple digits were awesome, three bikes and lots of riding get you ready for them. 600 miles in 3 days is my longest trip. Great trip .
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

Triple digits....
Take a Hayabusa up to 160 and nail the brakes, scary
Take a K1300S up to 160 and nail the brakes, calm but intense stop.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.