I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Cycle Therapist

K13s - Need Input

2010 K13S

Temperature guage appears to be stuck two (2) bars from the top. - Even after cycling the ignition with cold engine.

No indicator lights appear in the service display and no
Temperature icon shows on the malfunction display.

Engine appears to be operating normally and radiator fan cycles as expected.

Coolant level is normal.

Can anyone tell me what the flock is going on ? And, whether (or not) it's safe to ride ten (10) miles to dealer.

ALSO - The owner's manual states that the fan (when running) should continue to run as long as ignition is not turned off. - Fan stops when engine stops (with ignition on).

02 R 1150 RS
02 K 1200 RS
04 K 1200 RS
07 K 1200 S
08 K 1200 S
10 K 1300 S
Old 08-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,329 Posts

Re: K13s - Need Input

Take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic test and see if any faults show up that could indicate the problem... if it's still under warranty, you're not out any cash.

If you're worried about riding it 10 miles to the dealer, maybe they would come pick it up for you. Or you could borrow someone's GS-911 and perform your own diagnostic test.

Worth a try I suppose.
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,526 Times in 3,207 Posts

If the temp bars are there as soon as you start the bike cold - I really doubt the cooling system is not working. More likely the instrument cluster - temp sensor - ECM fault is the actual problem.

Would I ride 10 miles to my dealer - I would - but like McFly suggested if your dealer can pick it up or you have a truck or trailer sure better to be safe than sorry.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Nice day for somethin'

It's a 2010. May just be out of warranty, unless you got the extended warranty. I'd call the dealer, explain, and ride it in unless they recommend otherwise. Or, find somebody locally with a GS-911. Please let us know how it goes.

Seeya
ATB
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER K13S
2010 K13S

ALSO - The owner's manual states that the fan (when running) should continue to run as long as ignition is not turned off. - Fan stops when engine stops (with ignition on).

Don't understand what your saying, how are you stopping the engine without turning ignition off?

My only guess is that you are using the kill switch, if you are you shouldn't, it kills all electrical output immediately and doesn't allow the electronics to shutdown in a controlled manner. Its a bit like holding the power button in on your PC when all else fails
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Cycle Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbox
Don't understand what your saying, how are you stopping the engine without turning ignition off?

My only guess is that you are using the kill switch, if you are you shouldn't, it kills all electrical output immediately and doesn't allow the electronics to shutdown in a controlled manner. Its a bit like holding the power button in on your PC when all else fails

Those were my thoughts too . . ., using the kill switch OR extending the kick (side) stand OR intentionally stalling the engine are the only methods of stopping the engine with the ignition switched on. Neither of the first two methods work (haven't tried stalling the engine), but - Page 26 of OM states :

"In traffic jams, switch off the engine, but keep the ignition switched on, so that the radiator fan continues to operate."

02 R 1150 RS
02 K 1200 RS
04 K 1200 RS
07 K 1200 S
08 K 1200 S
10 K 1300 S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JER K13S' for this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what the flock is going on?
If coolant temperature shows 2 bars below 'H' when cold, it's NOT your cooling system. My guess is the sensor, but there's a very easy way to find out. Just disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, and if your dash changes, then you know what's wrong. If not, check the sensor with a multimeter, and compare the value with the sevice manual range. It could also be the wiring, but let us know what you find out with the first 2 checks. Somebody with the service manual handy can help you with sensor location and values. If not, let me know and I can look it up in the evening. Good luck.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'elp_jc' for this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Those were my thoughts too . . ., using the kill switch OR extending the kick (side) stand OR intentionally stalling the engine are the only methods of stopping the engine with the ignition switched on. Neither of the first two methods work (haven't tried stalling the engine), but - Page 26 of OM states :

"In traffic jams, switch off the engine, but keep the ignition switched on, so that the radiator fan continues to operate."

Well, your right about the OM, although In my book its Page 31, so maybe switch off and then ignition back on? I haven't tried it though, my last Bike, a triumph tiger, the fan would stay on after youd turned off for a while if the motor was hot.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Cycle Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc
If coolant temperature shows 2 bars below 'H' when cold, it's NOT your cooling system. My guess is the sensor, but there's a very easy way to find out. Just disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, and if your dash changes, then you know what's wrong. If not, check the sensor with a multimeter, and compare the value with the sevice manual range. It could also be the wiring, but let us know what you find out with the first 2 checks. Somebody with the service manual handy can help you with sensor location and values. If not, let me know and I can look it up in the evening. Good luck.
I took your advice and disconnected the temperature sensor . . ., and when I reattached it, everything went back to NORMAL.

Conclusion : It must have been a loose connection. Duh !

THANK YOU . . ., THANK YOU . . ., THANK YOU.

02 R 1150 RS
02 K 1200 RS
04 K 1200 RS
07 K 1200 S
08 K 1200 S
10 K 1300 S
Old 08-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
I took your advice and disconnected the temperature sensor . . ., and when I reattached it, everything went back to NORMAL.
Excellent news; glad to hear when a fix is the easiest possible one . To avoid a repeat, I'd put dielectric grease on the female terminal. The better news is you already isolated your issue to that connector. Enjoy!