I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Fork upper lower fork pivot joint boots cracked

I recently had some brake work done on my 2001 KRS. The technician pointed out to me that both upper and lower fork pivot ball joint boots are cracked (not sure what you call those joints). The concern is about water getting in there and compromising the steering. I rarely ride in the rain and my bike is in a garage when I am not riding it. I understand it is a very time consuming and expensive process to replace those suckers.

I do not notice any issues with the steering at this point.

My question is: How long should I continue to ride it before feeling unsafe or that I am screwing up the bike by not replacing the joints/boots?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,047 Times in 2,897 Posts

Re: Fork upper lower fork pivot joint boots cracked

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but for what its worth, BMW issued a service bulletin on defective ball joints years ago, and while I doubt that it would be honored, you might inquire at the dealer to see if it's still applicable, here's the document,

The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:08 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelfloss
I recently had some brake work done on my 2001 KRS. The technician pointed out to me that both upper and lower fork pivot ball joint boots are cracked (not sure what you call those joints). The concern is about water getting in there and compromising the steering. I rarely ride in the rain and my bike is in a garage when I am not riding it. I understand it is a very time consuming and expensive process to replace those suckers.

I do not notice any issues with the steering at this point.

My question is: How long should I continue to ride it before feeling unsafe or that I am screwing up the bike by not replacing the joints/boots?
Thanks

These tend to eventually crack with age - mine are OK after 16 years, but your mileage will vary...

These 2 Ball-joints are greased for life, but with a cracked protected rubber, the wear might go downhill fast - dust and water gets in and grease gets out.

BMW has never sold this rubber parts separately. HOWEVER because it was fairly common problem on R1100/1150GS Boxers doing more off-road, there is an aftermarket solution. You can buy these from the nice folks at BeemerBoneyard for $20 each:
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/balljointboot.html

The link above will give you 4 links to YouTube videos about installation. Our K1200RS front telelever is sligthly different than the one on the videos, but you will get the idea if you want to tackle the replacement yourself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Getting up to speed

The Beemerboneyard boot fits the K12RS and is a great solution to the cracked boot issue. Keeping that ball joint clean, covered, and lubed it will last a long time.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Wow thanks for this information! I have never had any issues with the low or high speed handling of the bike. Just want to make sure nothing snaps off :-)