I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,480 Times in 928 Posts

Post Is It Time to Panic Over Harley-Davidson?

Quote:
Is It Time to Panic Over Harley-Davidson?

The bike maker is facing pressure from all over.

Rich Duprey (TMFCop)
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:15AM

Harley-Davidson (NYSE:HOG) may be in panic mode as the end of the year looms. Analysts at research firm UBS say their channel checks show the decline in motorcycle sales is accelerating.

Those analysts are forecasting a double-digit drop for the full year. And because the fourth quarter is typically the slowest period for the bike maker and sales are already in a tailspin, it becomes a question of just how bad the decline will be.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...-davidson.aspx
Old 12-25-2018, 12:21 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb
Re: Is It Time to Panic Over Harley-Davidson?

If HD made a bike in the last 40 years I would want to own, I would be concerned. But since they haven’t, I am not.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 12-25-2018, 04:02 PM
BMW S1000XR

I am wondering about the entire motorcycle’s future not just HDs! As a minor sampling, I belong to two regional BMW riding clubs, and at 59, I am the young punk with the super fast XR.

Now I do see some young folks at certain gatherings, but it certainly feels like the average age of most dedicated MC riders is on the uptick.

As the baby boomer generation ages out the MC industry is going to need a way to bring in new generations. And face it, many of use grew up in simpler times where adventure resulted in physically applying ones self.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider19
I am wondering about the entire motorcycle’s future not just HDs! As a minor sampling, I belong to two regional BMW riding clubs, and at 59, I am the young punk with the super fast XR.

Now I do see some young folks at certain gatherings, but it certainly feels like the average age of most dedicated MC riders is on the uptick.

As the baby boomer generation ages out the MC industry is going to need a way to bring in new generations. And face it, many of use grew up in simpler times where adventure resulted in physically applying ones self.
Millannials will bring down the M/C industry..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bar...-it-1523632340
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'aa3jy' for this post:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:09 AM
BMW S1000XR

I think the article writer was taking piot shots at the cause but interesting article just the same.

The article left out the wide use of video games and the amount of time used to play those games. Then again its cheaper to buy a play station and a few games then a MC, especially with all that student debt.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

MC ridership will probably continue to decline for quite awhile. Maybe even pretty much die out in the USA. The rest of the world see them as more of a utilitarian veh for cheap transport as opposed to the weekend play toy so many of the USA riders use them for, so the market for them will remain in those countries.