I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Commuting isn't riding?
Poll Options
Commuting isn't riding?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Commuting isn't riding?

If you're on your machine (not "in it" ie; scooter/trike/etc.), then you are "riding"..don't matter if you're "commuting" / touring / or just "out for the day"..A day riding in the rain, trumps a day "caged" in the dry!!

As of AUG-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 48,200
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYGZR
If you're on your machine (not "in it" ie; scooter/trike/etc.), then you are "riding"..don't matter if you're "commuting" / touring / or just "out for the day"..A day riding in the rain, trumps a day "caged" in the dry!!

+1!
MOA #24434
My Carbon Fiber R1200S is great!
My bike: http://tiny.cc/MyBike
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Crashing the net!!!

I hope commuting counts, otherwise I didn't ride about 18k miles last year haha.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I bought a bike because of my commute. 24 miles of curvy goodness and elevation changes, plus the weather is agreeable most of the time, so I usually need little more than my jacket. I'll grab a scarf if it's below 40F.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 AM
Getting up to speed

Not only do I prefer using the bike for work, my customers do too as it generally means I get to them in half the time. Some of the women really seem to like a guy in leathers scrabbling about under their desks, though if Im honest they'd prefer it even more if I was about 30 years younger and a bit more Brad Pitt as opposed to Arm Pit.

The other plus side is I do so much riding during the week I don't feel the need to join the madness of the weekend warriors who turn the local area into a race meeting in the summer months.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Getting up to speed

Most of my riding has been commuting. I used to have a long commute and started looking at vehicles with better mileage. I pretty much hated every car that could get near thirty miles a gallon, too small, too noisy, and too ugly. No offense to any economy car owners. I won't name any models, you all know who you are. But anyways my "riding" began with commuting, that kind of influences the way I ride still yet. I prefer to have a destination, work, visiting friends, doctor's office, vacations especially or where ever. A lot of people find that odd, even non riders. They'll ask "where'd you go on that bike this weekend?" And I'll say "the optometrist, Home Depot and Walmart.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'TRC' for this post:
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Getting up to speed

And I do. I rode 145 miles today, just commuting the taking the long way back.. Ga. to Tn. and down into Al..
Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM
SoCal Shmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC
Most of my riding has been commuting. I used to have a long commute and started looking at vehicles with better mileage. I pretty much hated every car that could get near thirty miles a gallon, too small, too noisy, and too ugly. No offense to any economy car owners. I won't name any models, you all know who you are. But anyways my "riding" began with commuting, that kind of influences the way I ride still yet. I prefer to have a destination, work, visiting friends, doctor's office, vacations especially or where ever. A lot of people find that odd, even non riders. They'll ask "where'd you go on that bike this weekend?" And I'll say "the optometrist, Home Depot and Walmart.

I'm with you, I have put more commuter miles on than weekend fun, and enjoy all of them. But I prefer to have a destination to get to...
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Interestingly Years ago selling and racing motorcycles I thought real riding was weekend blasts and anyone who rode to work was a "waster" (wearing out a bike for no real purpose) for want of a better term. And the view today would be the same if you rode only 5 miles everyday on your Super-bike.

Back in the day removing main stands, fitting 4 into ones, removing indicators (basically race-track prep) sometimes I rode without a licence plate and tangled with and out ran Police Patrols on country roads and canyons "not city stuff" ) real riding as I thought it to be, Hmmmmmm that was some time ago, not something I would do now especially as I eventually became a Police Officer ... Enough on that.

Now I live in a foreign land and commute, in all weathers. I ride from a city to B-roads (single lane twisty forest sided roads) up and down ranges onto motorways through tunnels into the middle of London, I commute through the heaviest of traffic on my return home (rush-hour) between lines of moving cars/trucks/busses and the most dangerous sometimes - other motorcyclists (some bikers go between the vehicles and turn out in front of you, not a good look) all in all I commute 650 miles a week (3780 miles a month) or 1047 km a week (if u are euro) now that is true biking, and I love every mile of it. As it's England mostly in the wet and with the heated bars on all at between 80-90 mph wet or dry.

Anyone that thinks commuters (as above) are not bikers, are to be polite...... Confused individuals.

Honda XL175
Honda XR500
Honda CB900FB
Suzuki Katana 750
Yamaha XJ900R
Suzuki Katana 1100 Special (NZ Edition - Wire wheels/S-Steel Braided lines/Slide carb/128bhp)
Vespa PX200E Malossi Racing Engine
Aprilia RS250
BMWR1200S
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'hexheadkiwi' for this post:
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Depends on the commute. My commute sucks, so I never ride to work.

However, if you had 50 miles of twisties to get to work, that would be riding.
Right on. Commuting in Montana is a blast, especially if you take the long route.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
...What say you?

I am, and will, and will again.. what say u?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Commuting isn't riding?

I commute and sport ride on weekends. I feel the commuting hones my skills as I have to deal with deer crossings, below freezing temperature, and of course people in cages not paying attention. The best part of the commute is how it brings my senses alive at 5 am and gets me ready for work and the relaxation and feeling of freedom experienced when turning the 20 minute ride home into and hour ride on country roads. Any time spent on the the bike is beneficial and therapeutic.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Site Contributor

I raced Motocross in my teens, Cross-Country-Desert in my young adulthood, countless "breakfast runs" through the mountains at supra-legal speeds, and logged 15 years & 500,000 miles doing legal messenger and Process serving in So California on motorcycles. I would say "commuting" is as much a skill-set as Moto-GP in that it's very easy to make a mistake and get very 'dead' in either.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:33 AM
... ...

Commuting is the ultimate. You get to race every day of the week - racing to the front, dragging off lights, do the slalom through peak hour moving obstacles, jumping trials over kerbs, etc. Yeah, I commute and LOVE it!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frantic' for this post:
Old 02-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Shooting the gap

I agree wholly frantic!
MOA #24434
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'AZ-J' for this post:
Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

Nonsense.
I would dare anyone to "commute" in Managua, San Salvador or any third world city.
The dangers, inattentive drivers, lack of traffic lights, of road signs, and just reckless behavior and accountability of all drivers and riders, and you tell me if it isn't riding.

It's insane. Just in Managua, where I live, there so many accidents.
There are 200,000 registered motorcycles in Nicaragua.
There is a death daily and about 13 people injured per day.

If surviving that madness isn't riding? what is?

Getting out of the city, it's a walk in the park. The roads are mostly deserted. There are only 5 million people in Nicaragua, and about 1.5 million in Managua.

Maybe he the ones that think themselves so superior because they don't have to commute and only do "long rides", should ride just one day in a city like this, and they recast their vote on this poll.

Jus' sayin'
BMW R1200GS 2008
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
BMW K1200S 2007 (in my stable, we'll see)

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM
... ...

Managua sounds a lot like Perth
Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic
Commuting is the ultimate. You get to race every day of the week - racing to the front, dragging off lights, do the slalom through peak hour moving obstacles, jumping trials over kerbs, etc. Yeah, I commute and LOVE it!

Your a ratbag Fran!!!
Ha... I love riding to work to, I have been known to ride along the footpath to gain a better spot at the lights when chasing down someone like you in traffic...LOL..

Cheers
KiwiMat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I certainly consider commuting riding. I use my bike as transportation, that's why I bought the GT in the first place. It's about the best all-rounder I could find. With the trunk on I can go grocery shopping and everything else, in fact I use it way more as transportation then to just go for a fun ride somewhere which unfortunately I don't find a lot of time to do these days, seems like there's always something going on requiring my time.

'08 K 1200GT (riding)
'09 R 1200GS (missed)
'07 K 1200GT (traded)
'02 R 1150RT (sold)
'79 R 100 RT (lamented)
'85 K 100 RS (missed)
'02 Triumph Trophy (KIA)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent
I certainly consider commuting riding. I use my bike as transportation, that's why I bought the GT in the first place. It's about the best all-rounder I could find. With the trunk on I can go grocery shopping and everything else, in fact I use it way more as transportation then to just go for a fun ride somewhere which unfortunately I don't find a lot of time to do these days, seems like there's always something going on requiring my time.

I'm with you Steven. And the nice thing about riding as your primary transportation, it leaves the weekends to do other things, since you already get your riding fix all week.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'XRx' for this post:
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 AM
Shooting the gap

My R1200S has a BMW tank bag. It has a lot of room, and if it doesn't I can attach BMW saddlebags, or the BMW small rear bag.

I can fit all I need in a day, in it and it makes a great HOV tool. Since it is so much CF, it can go anywhere I head it. It is a great commuter, a great weekend mountain climber and a road ready bike. With nearly 50 mpg, it's 4.4 gallons lasts a good way.
MOA #24434
Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 AM
... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I'm with you Steven. And the nice thing about riding as your primary transportation, it leaves the weekends to do other things, since you already get your riding fix all week.

Not so, XRx. Once an addict, always an addict Besides, weekends are a different type of riding.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic
Not so, XRx. Once an addict, always an addict Besides, weekends are a different type of riding.

Right, dirt

Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
... ...

Yep!

Though ... all I've got in the shed ATM is a clapped out Dominator which isn't going anywhere soon
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Shooting the gap

Here in northern New Jersey, it is not just "riding." With all the traffic, women in cars putting on their makeup as they drive, drivers on cell phone and/or texting, drivers reading the morning news as they sit/drive in traffic, people changing lanes at the last second without signaling, people making right turns from the left lane and left turns from the right lane, etc., it is adventure riding.

k_enn
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Shooting the gap

Same here in Metro-Phoenix in rush hour.
MOA #24434
Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I guess it's the difference between the 'skill of riding' and the 'joy of riding'.

Every day on my commute is different and involves so many variables. Add some rain/wind/etc and it is a true test of the skill of riding and of riding safely.

Weekend rides with the sun shining, that is the joy of riding. Taking sweeping corners through the countryside. Bliss!

Though of course, both reasons for riding involve elements of each other. Today's commute was absolutely glorious with every corner and transition feeling excellent.

Might be because I changed the fuel filter.........
Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Shooting the gap

I disagree. Maybe because I do not see the traffic you do.

The highway I take to work is curvy and it goes up and down over and under certain roads. It is fun no matter what!
MOA #24434
Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-J

The highway I take to work is curvy and it goes up and down over and under certain roads. It is fun no matter what!

Oh you wouldn't believe the traffic....

Old 06-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Shooting the gap

I moved to the Phoenix area from NY. I would believe the traffic.

When I lived in NY, we used to lane split on the LIE. That was the 70's.
MOA #24434
Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 PM
Getting up to speed

I moved to my current house partly so I can have a great ride to and from work. 1/2 twisties and 1/2 freeway and highway. Unless I get behind a hay truck or grandma, it's all at good speed.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
I moved to the Phoenix area from NY. I would believe the traffic.

When I lived in NY, we used to lane split on the LIE. That was the 70's.

Never been to NY, so I'll take your word on it

Traffic was one of the factors that first swayed me towards riding. So I guess I should thank it really.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:

I'm with you. Just about every week I think of video ing many segments of my commute just for this thread. I have many variations. Lots of twisty rural roads whichever route I choose. Trip is a bit over an hour each way, which is about the ideal trip length for my taste. Although on the ride into work I'm often tempted to keep rising, and sometimes I do. Generally by the time I get home I'm glad to get home, got my fix for the day. Oh it also helps that I have a flexible schedule, so I go in and leave late to avoid the crowded roads, like 10-7 shift, makes for great motorcycling.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Listening very carefully

Send a message via Skype™ to ulle

Commuting is riding, while not always the best time in the saddle (you are headed to work remember), it definitely sharpened my riding skills while avoiding the angry drivers (umm, maybe they would not be so angry if they were riding instead of driving), distracted drivers, and the completely oblivious drivers. I commuted a 100m a day for better part of 8 years in Northern VA in all kinds of weather. Now I work from home and only ride for fun or errands and definitely saving money on tires
04-K1200RS - Met an untimely fate in a chance meeting with a deer
72-R75/5 - My first Beemer
----------------------------------------
Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.
- Aldous Huxley
Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF
Never been to NY, so I'll take your word on it

Traffic was one of the factors that first swayed me towards riding. So I guess I should thank it really.

Don't you know the LIE (Long Island Expressway) is the worst "parking lot" in the country!
MOA #24434
Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Don't you know the LIE (Long Island Expressway) is the worst "parking lot" in the country!

There's no way I'd know that...

Had some major road rage yesterday. Completely ruined my enjoyable summers ride home

Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Shooting the gap

Scott, you must be young. Even cartoons in my youth showed this.
MOA #24434
Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Scott, you must be young. Even cartoons in my youth showed this.

Young? I wish, but I thank you for saying it haha

Wasn't in my British cartoons of yonder, I'm afraid. T'was more homoerotic men with cats who turned into bigger cats.

Bit of a strange premise when you look back on it...

Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Shooting the gap

You never watched Bugs Bunny?
MOA #24434
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
You never watched Bugs Bunny?

I watched lots of bugs bunny 25-35 years ago and don't recall ever seeing that...

Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Getting up to speed

I live in Tokyo and commute every day, rain or shine. It's not a long ride but takes a certain skill set that's totally different from a spirited weekend ride in the country. Taxis trolling for passengers that will change lanes or stop in an instant, busses, bicyclists, cagers texting while driving, stop and go traffic. It requires one's total concentration, and that's what's so great about it. Any work related stress melts away when I'm totally in my own moto-cocoon. The risks are higher but it's such an important piece of my sanity that I'll never give it up.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Frank Petrarch' for this post:
Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Getting up to speed

What kind of cracked out statement is that? I commuted 150 miles a day for years. It's the heart of riding. You're on that bike every day rain or shine. All the things that come up along the way living on the bike. Don't get me wrong I love going on the road too. I normally do around a 5,000 mile vacation every year. That is a short time. When you commute it's every day. Richard.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
I think commuting is definately riding... as long as you wear your ass-less chaps and leather vest around the office all day.

Is that all he's wearing?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Well - by process of elimination it isn't walking, jogging, running, driving, flying, going by taxi, bus, train, ferry or rent a car then it must be..........RIDING

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Getting up to speed

Don't forget the time limitations. Commuting is really the only regular time that I have to drive my bike. If I don't commute but just drive real trips then I would have to wait for weekends or get days off, which is also limited. Basically I use my bike whenever I can and that includes commuting
Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Cool Re: Commuting isn't riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Depends on the commute. My commute sucks, so I never ride to work.

However, if you had 50 miles of twisties to get to work, that would be riding.

Exactly. Here in the upper valley in New Hampshire I have 50mi (round trip) to work. Albeit only part time work, and can only ride in the summer months (May-October), I choose the bike every chance I get (read--not raining).

I choose from 4 different routes to work, only one via the freeway (when I'm running late, naturally). Also, at least 7 different routes home, some being much, much longer, so I don't use those except when I have spare time.

Must be tough living in the big city (NY, Boston) and have to go an hour or two just to get up to where I'm at.
Prod:WB10554AXWZA50295 05/97
See the "Marrakesh Express:" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53497

'74 R90/6 -> '76 R90S -> '85 K100RT -> '98 K1200RS
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Getting up to speed

I am back to commuting on a bike again after many years not able to. I love it. I just have to be cool it's easy to find myself going way to fast. It is great to get on the bike day after day. It is only a forty mile run each day but that's alright. This is what motorcycles are all about. And the great thing about where I live lane splitting is not illegal. For now. Richard.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Missed this pole when it originated Jan 2009, and I retired Feb 2009.

I think commuting is riding, I started riding the bike to work in 1981 about 50% of the time of the riding season. (rust belt area).
From about 2003 on, April to Nov was 90+% on the bike, plus multiple 300+ mile weekend trips just to go for a ride, and at least one week long bike vacation.

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 10-24-2015, 08:25 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

since this old thread was resurrected and I have rejoined the wage earning world as of late, I commute on the bike (albeit not a real long one) Monday thru Thursday, on Fridays I take the vette.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: Commuting isn't riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_enn
Here in northern New Jersey, it is not just "riding." With all the traffic, women in cars putting on their makeup as they drive, drivers on cell phone and/or texting, drivers reading the morning news as they sit/drive in traffic, people changing lanes at the last second without signaling, people making right turns from the left lane and left turns from the right lane, etc., it is adventure riding.

k_enn

After a short time in the seat, July 4th, 2014 (first day in the saddle) till today, I've logged just shy of 10k on the KRS. Mostly done going back and forth to work with 3/4th's of it running a super slab. I can whole heartedly agree with the "adventure riding" portion of it. There is a whole new definition to "paying attention" to what you are doing on the bike while commuting with those that don't pay attention (cages)! If you want to call it "riding", on the way home I def take the long way home . Three trips to the Slimey Crud run following the boys that grew up in the Mt. Horeb area wasn't a ride, it was like a day at the race track holy cow! But it was a lot of fun. So does flying around on twisty backroads define riding?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:51 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis-K

So does flying around on twisty backroads define riding?
no, it defines living.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Getting up to speed

My 80-mile commute is the reason I acquired my K12S: more comfort, protection, braking,...Commuting is riding, it fits the definition, regardless of whether it involves high lean angles or not. Nothing puts me in proper order for the day like 40 on the bike!
VFR750F, ZX6E, KZ1000LTD,
ZX10B, K1200S,
K1300S Last and Best
IBA #63855