I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Read a good book lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I was looking at Follet, on your suggestion. Some other titles maybe appealed more. But again thinking about it, I do like reading other period stuff, if nothing else, to witness the lifestyle of the period in history.

I greatly enjoyed similarly books like The Count Of Monte Christo, and Atlas Shrugged beyond just the great writing, but experiencing the style of the period before I lived. I think I'll enjoy a book set in the 1200's, just hopefully the author's style agrees with me and it is educational.

Hope you like it. IMHO, Follet does a great job inserting one into 12th century England.
AC Schnitzer, Corbin, Beech Kit, City tankbag with "old" mount, Kriega US 20, Pro Grips 719, Zaino freak.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave - Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,158 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I'll keep them in mind. I've found repeatedly though, for my taste, it seems when a book wins mainstream acclaim (NYT?) I don't tend to relate, ala Pulitzer winner, A Conferacy of Dunces, despite being a Pulitzer winner, I was disgusted that such nonsical garbage was celebrated by the professionals, though a book like Atlas Shrugged, who all the critics hated, but the readers found to be the greatest non-bible book ever, I found to be greater than everything I've read and since, and other examples, I find myself not generally being on the same page as the professional critics. Their agenda seem to be other than quality reading somehow.

Let me suggest that I too subscribe to the theory advanced by Groucho Marks, "Any club that would have me as a member, I don't want any part of."

However, inserting my two cents here, in this instance if you choose not to read O'Brian for that reason, you'll really be cutting yourself off from the best series of books I've ever read. Did you see the movie "Master & Commander" starring Russell Crowe a few years back? A damn good movie to look for if you didn't see it. It was based on segments of several of the books in the series.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

XRx

I sent the following as a PM to another member, but it still applies:

If you haven't read Brickhills biography of Douglas Bader, you might try it. It is a fascinating WWII book on several levels. I'm a pilot and love the flying. Bader was a double amputee from a pre-war accident and talked his way back into combat for the Battle of Brittan. He became a colorful and controversial Wing Leader.

You may know all this already. If not, I strongly recommend the book. I read it several times. Brickhill, Paul. Reach for the Sky: The Story of Douglas Bader DSO, DFC. London: Odhams Press Ltd., 1954

Stanford Tuck, was also a great Battle of Brittan ace and his conflicts with Bader are interesting. Tuck disliked Bader and his story as told in Fly for Your Life is equally as interesting. Forrester, Larry. Fly for Your Life: The Story of RR Stanford Tuck, DSO, DFC (Fortunes of War). London: Cerberus Publishing Ltd., 2005

Sorry for the longish post.

Tyson Branyan
Cushing, Oklahoma
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
XRx
Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via Skype™ to Sarks

Get your hands on 'Mort' by Terry Pratchett... (Discworld Novels)... once you have finished that, there is a whole Discworld series to enjoy....
F800S 2007
R1200S 2008..sold
F650GS..sold
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Right now I'm reading Freehold, by Michael Z. Williamson. I'm about two hundred pages in of about 700. It is definitely in my top few books of all time. Can't say it is replacing my favorite, but it is right up there.

It is sci-fi. A female UN soldier of the future gets framed by the UN military, she crashes the gate of an other world embassy, seeking assylum. It's granted and she goes to this other planet that was settled by humans from earth, where they have built a great libertarian society. It is obvious that she will be pursued though ultimately. Amazing writing though.

I want to move there hahaha. Seriously, the writing is awesome, the scenes, the action, the plot, the theme, the philosophy, all top notch. Definitely one of my new top most favorite authors.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Twisted Wrister

the most recent, Clockwork Angels

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,071 Posts

"Deer Hunting With Jesus"

Riding through rural VA and WV this book gives you something to think about.
http://prospect.org/article/fear-and...middle-america
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned Spammer

"Marine Sniper"
Couldn't put it down.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0425103552/ref=rdr_ext_tmb
Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,828 Times in 1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Just finishing James Lee Burke's latest novel, "Creole Belle", if you've not read James Lee Burke, I will simply say, you should. His "Dave Robicheaux" series starting with "The Neon Rain" maybe the best written "detective fiction" series I've come across, and I read a lot!

I've read 6 or 7 books of the series lately and you're right

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,202 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Waging Heavy Peace

Gives a great insight on Neil Young's life.

But the book is all over the place!!!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Just finished the newest book by Robert Crais, "Suspect" - excellent highly recommended.

I've read all of his previous work featuring Elvis Cole, and Joe Pike - also great reads, but this book, "Suspect" I couldn't put down.

Three Thumbs Up!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Half way through another Michael Z. Williamson. BTW, he is retired military, lots of military and special forces stuff in his sci-fi.

Anyway, this one is called, Contact With Chaos. About the first human interaction with non-human sentients on another planet.

I'm really enjoying it.

From Wikipedia: He is retired from the United States military...He is also the Editor At Large of SurvivalBlog.com, a widely-read blog on disaster preparedness topics, with more than 250,000 readers.[2] In his free time Williamson also sells, restores and crafts swords and other edged weapons.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I read history at home and fiction on vacation. The Hunger Games is an incredibly well written series. The last book is as good or better than the first. Same goes for the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series.

Tops in history are
Washington Goes to War by David Brinkley. He tells how DC went from a little swampy town to what it has become today.

War Journal by Richard Engel. He puts the Iraq war in what REALLY happened and how Iran was happy to let us do their dirty work for them. Great read. He has cahonies the size of grapefruit.

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton. Goes thru how the Special Forces and CIA took out the Taliban in Afghanistan. The end predicts how we lost the Iraq war when Paul Bremmer fired all of the Iraqi cops and military.

The Last Stand of Fox Company by Bob Drury. There are three life size displays at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, VA. A Landing Craft on Iwo Jima, a Chinook at Khe Sanh, Vietnam and Fox Company at the Chosen Reservoir. An amazing read.

Anything by Stephen Ambrose (Path Between the Seas), Rick Atkinson, David McCullough, William Shirer (The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and Berlin Diary)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'StevieVVet' for this post:
Old 03-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Getting up to speed

In my opinion, the very best is Martin Cruz Smith, author of Gorky Park, Red Square, Polar Star and several others.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

I know this thread goes back a ways, but having just returned from a beach vacation, I recommend "Life" by Keith Richards. His autobiography and a best seller. Great info and insights into the Rolling Stones and many facets of the music industry.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR-BMW
Acknowledge Follet's greatness. It's a commitment, but The Pillars Of The Earth is one of the best books I have ever read.

I'm listening to Pillars Of The Earth on audio these days. It is quite good. Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking through the audio available for download from my library and thought it looked familiar, then recalled that it was recommended here. Good stuff.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Flow

I just finished reading the Vince Flynn book "American Assassin". What a good read!!! I was also saddened to found out Mr. Flynn died of advanced prostate cancer June of this year. Guys GET YOUR EXAM AND PSA checked!
Herb
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow
I just finished reading the Vince Flynn book "American Assassin". What a good read!!! I was also saddened to found out Mr. Flynn died of advanced prostate cancer June of this year. Guys GET YOUR EXAM AND PSA checked!
Herb

Yes, its sad that Vince Flynn passed away, I think he was 46.

They are making a movie out of American Assassin, and Bruce Willis has been cast as the Hurley character, don't know if Mitch Rapp has been cast yet. As long as it isn't Tom Cruise in the roll I'm looking forward to the movie.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM
GT or RT, that is the question

Quote:
Yes, its sad that Vince Flynn passed away, I think he was 46.

They are making a movie out of American Assassin, and Bruce Willis has been cast as the Hurley character, don't know if Mitch Rapp has been cast yet. As long as it isn't Tom Cruise in the roll I'm looking forward to the movie.

IMDB stated that Chris Hemsworth was offered the lead role and he turned it down which I'm glad. I like Chris Hemsworth, but having read all of Mr. Flynn's books I've got a definite picture of what Mitch Rapp should look like and it shouldn't be a blond hair, blue eye, hulk.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Herb

..... and Margaret Thatcher died while reading a book in bed. Gals DON'T READ BOOKS IN BED!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ding-book.html
Old 07-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Banned Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden
..... and Margaret Thatcher died while reading a book in bed. Gals DON'T READ BOOKS IN BED!

She was like 85.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousi
She was like 85.
...... and Flynn was diagnosed with prostate cancer at a young age, treated, and still died. Also

Almost every male has prostate cancer when they die, it is usually such a slow cancer that most die of something else even when untreated. The value of screening. and even treatment is still controversial but it is a fact that more men die with PC than from PC.

I'd rather worry about my cam chain jumping .
Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Best is to come

Send a message via MSN to Boissinot Send a message via Skype™ to Boissinot

The only book I have, I haven't finished coloring

More seriously, I am a Clive Cussler fan. New ones are out. Some of the new characters are not as good as the Dirk Pitt serie in my opinion but still a good read.

And I also enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books. Most people won't admit reading like most women won't admit reading Fifty Shades of Grey but both were best sellers.

Dunno about you all but I prefer having a good ole book in my hands to a pad or tablet to read.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Herb

I've been listening to vince Flynn on audio lately, very good stuff.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
I've been listening to vince Flynn on audio lately, very good stuff.

Vince Flynn was a terrific author and Mitch Rapp is a great character.

If you enjoy Flynn's Rapp series, try the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva - a slightly more subtle character, than Mitch Rapp, but equally as effective, while working for the Israeli secret service, and as an art restorer, first book the "Kill Artist", http://danielsilvabooks.com/books/the-kill-artist/
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM
I wasn't speeding Officer

Send a message via AIM to Stick52

Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Highway by Neal Peart (Drummer for RUSH). Excellent, well written story of his travels across country on his GS as he tries to escape from the memories of lost loved ones.
He as good of a writer as a he is a drummer. He not only plays drums and writes books, he is the lyricist for RUSH. I've always loved RUSH, one of the all time best power trios and Peart is one of the all time best rock drummers. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0C5Uxpd3c
'98 Honda VFR Interceptor 800fi
Ducati Multistrada 1200S -sold
SV650s -sold
K1300 SLava Orange- sold
Gixxer 600 track bike - sold
K12 GT -sold
Ducati 999 - sold
R6 track bike- sold
K12R Sport - sold wish I hadn't
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Crashing the net!!!

One of the most interesting books I've eve read now on my forty years, and amazingly of is non-fiction. Merchants of despair, by Dr. Robert Zubrin.

I couldn't begin to explain it, just a must read for anyone interested in mankind, history, and many citations of actual scientific data regarding the topics he addresses

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,152 Times in 832 Posts

Took your advice and bought "The Neon Rain"... (Dave Robicheaux) and finished it last night...

Interesting read.. There's no arguing the fact that the writer is a cut above... The writing is fantastic... easily comparable to many other of my favorite authors.. My only problem with the main character is (at least in this book)... he seems to be a bumbling alcoholic prone to acting on emotion rather than common since.. I like my leading characters to be sharp, decisive, focused...ie.. Mitch Rapp.. Scot Harvath... Dirk Pitt.. Aloysius Pendergast.. His partner was no more than a bull in a china shop...and another alcoholic..

However..The book wasn't bad.. Just different. I'll not judge the series or the character from only one book in the series. I'll pick up another couple of books and dig deeper... Thanks for the advice!!

Quote:
For me, the best detective noir is James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" series. Set in the Louisiana Bayou, so well written you can sense the sweat and humidity. FWIW Tommy Lee Jones portrayed the Dave Robicheaux character in a recent movie - In the Electric Mist - great rental. Dave Robicheaux sidekick in the series, Clete, is a great character - does stuff like drive an earth mover right threw the middle of a mobster's house.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Took your advice and bought "The Neon Rain"... (Dave Robicheaux) and finished it last night...

Interesting read.. There's no arguing the fact that the writer is a cut above... The writing is fantastic... easily comparable to many other of my favorite authors.. My only problem with the main character is (at least in this book)... he seems to be a bumbling alcoholic prone to acting on emotion rather than common since.. I like my leading characters to be sharp, decisive, focused...ie.. Mitch Rapp.. Scot Harvath... Dirk Pitt.. Aloysius Pendergast.. His partner was no more than a bull in a china shop...and another alcoholic..

However..The book wasn't bad.. Just different. I'll not judge the series or the character from only one book in the series. I'll pick up another couple of books and dig deeper... Thanks for the advice!!

Without giving too much away, Dave Robicheaux sorts himself out as the series goes along, with ups and downs along the way, but the writing remains a cut above. HIs partner Clete, yes a bull in a China shop, continues to be consistent in that role. His daughter in real life, Alafair Burke, which is the name of his adopted daughter in the series, also writes crime fiction and teaches law at my law school alma mater. Must be some interesting discussions around the dinner table.

If you enjoyed the book, check out Lawrence Block's series featuring a New York City ex-police officer, Matt Scudder, also an alcoholic. Block writes gritty NY like Burke writes sweaty New Orleans, I think the first in the series is called "Sins of the Father".

And yes I really do like the Mitch Rapp series, and was saddened to read that the author, Vince Flynn died last year of colon cancer at about age 42

The Dirk Pitt books were ok for me, the character is a good one, but the story lines are, for me, a bit too science fiction. Haven't tried any of the Scot Horvath Books, I'll give it a try, thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM

I just finished reading 'Sled Driver' by former SR-71 pilot Brian Shul. Very interesting and entertaining account of his experiences and emotions flying the Blackbird. It was an eBook and now out-of-print. I wish I would have bought a hard copy when they were affordable!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Favorites are
anything by Christopher Moore. Lamb, Stupidest Angel, You Suck, Bite Me, Bloodsucking Fiends, A Dirty Job, etc.etc.

and one fantastic car man dog girl story is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Damn!! I knew Flynn had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.. did NOT know he'd died... and so young...I wonder if there will be one last Mitch Rapp book to be offered?? I heard he had been working on one... This is so sad...

Scot Harvath is a similar character to Mitch Rapp... a man's man in covert ops.. I gurarantee you'll love them. Brad Thor is a helluva author.

Yes.. Dirk Pitt books aren't deep, but they're all fun...

My favorite literary character is still FBI Special agent Aloysius Pendergast.. If you start those.. best to start at the beginning. While each book is enjoyable on it's own merit.. there are certain story lines and characters that string the books together.

Again.. thanks for the advice.. In the winter months I'm an avaricious reader..

Quote:
Without giving too much away, Dave Robicheaux sorts himself out as the series goes along, with ups and downs along the way, but the writing remains a cut above. HIs partner Clete, yes a bull in a China shop, continues to be consistent in that role. His daughter in real life, Alafair Burke, which is the name of his adopted daughter in the series, also writes crime fiction and teaches law at my law school alma mater. Must be some interesting discussions around the dinner table.

If you enjoyed the book, check out Lawrence Block's series featuring a New York City ex-police officer, Matt Scudder, also an alcoholic. Block writes gritty NY like Burke writes sweaty New Orleans, I think the first in the series is called "Sins of the Father".

And yes I really do like the Mitch Rapp series, and was saddened to read that the author, Vince Flynn died last year of colon cancer at about age 42

The Dirk Pitt books were ok for me, the character is a good one, but the story lines are, for me, a bit too science fiction. Haven't tried any of the Scot Horvath Books, I'll give it a try, thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Damn!! I knew Flynn had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.. did NOT know he'd died... and so young...I wonder if there will be one last Mitch Rapp book to be offered?? I heard he had been working on one... This is so sad...

Scot Harvath is a similar character to Mitch Rapp... a man's man in covert ops.. I gurarantee you'll love them. Brad Thor is a helluva author.

Yes.. Dirk Pitt books aren't deep, but they're all fun...

My favorite literary character is still FBI Special agent Aloysius Pendergast.. If you start those.. best to start at the beginning. While each book is enjoyable on it's own merit.. there are certain story lines and characters that string the books together.

Yes, you're correct it was prostate cancer that got Flynn at 47, that's oh too young. He was writing a new book in the series when he died - you can check his website http://www.vinceflynn.com/ for updates. Also a movie based on American Assassin is in the works. Last I heard, the Mitch Rapp character had not been cast, but Bruce Willis was cast as Stan Hurley which I think is a terrific choice. I do hope the movie gets made (as long as they don't cast Tom Cruise as Rapp ) and that the last book is released.

Another suggestion, and since you like Mitch Rapp, you'll like Gabriel Allon, in the series by Daniel Silva. Allon is a Mossad agent / assassin, who in the series was recruited initially to take out the assassins who killed the Israeli athletes during the '72 Munich Olympics, they were known alternatively as the Baader Meinhof / German Red Army Faction / Black September terrorists. Although the books touch on that, that is not the subject of any of the books, but the series traces Allon, who when not hunting terrorists, is a classical art restorer. The first in the series is "The Kill Artist" - and his trainer / mentor Ari Shamron in the series is a lot like Stan Hurley - well written stuff.

I'll try the Pendergast series, tried it once couldn't get into it, but I'll track down the first book and start there.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,581 Times in 630 Posts

I'm a great fan of the Michael Connelly novels.

Also John Sandford, whether the Lucas Davenport or Kidd novels.

Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels - certainly the early ones but then she seemed to go through a rough patch but has since re-discovered her form.

Patrick Robinson, Clive Cussler's Pitt books (but not the ones which are titled Clive Cussler with ...................)

CS Forester's Hornblower's series are first rate books

Frederick Forsyth - a good deal better than Ken Follett for the most part IMHO

Len Deighton both fiction and non-fiction

John Grisham's earlier stuff particularly The Firm which is a favourite of mine.

Going back a bit try beating Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett

And even further back Jane Austen - books need a good opening line and what can beat this from Pride and Prejudice:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." It just sets the scene for all that follows.
BMW R90S
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
..."It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." It just sets the scene for all that follows.

One mistake here.. is there any gooD wom'a'n in need of a gooD man?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D
A really good historical fiction is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings

That's if you dont mind reading about France's history .

Is it comical? Check out Teddy Roosevelt's River of Doubt..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,581 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
One mistake here.. is there any gooD wom'a'n in need of a gooD man?

Bear, you've lost me.
BMW R90S
Old 01-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick52
Ghost Rider: Travels On The Healing Highway by Neal Peart (Drummer for RUSH). Excellent, well written story of his travels across country on his GS as he tries to escape from the memories of lost loved ones.
He as good of a writer as a he is a drummer. He not only plays drums and writes books, he is the lyricist for RUSH. I've always loved RUSH, one of the all time best power trios and Peart is one of the all time best rock drummers. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0C5Uxpd3c

I read that many years ago. It got a bit long in the tooth, but a good read non-the-less.
He is by far a better drummer/song writer than writer.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Site Contributor

If you have not read Stealing Speed, by Max Oxley, you really should as it is a quick read about an amazing time in motrocycling racing. Amazon says it is the compelling story of how one of Japan's biggest motorcycle manufacturers stole a Nazi rocket scientist's engine secrets from behind the Iron Curtain to conquer the world. A reviewer from Amazon said the following "A excellent book! I cannot believe this story is not more well known and written about. The story about Ernst Degner is amazing and full of twist and turns, this book should be made into a movie. I enjoyed the story about Walter Kaaden, it makes me appreciate what a great man he really was and receives so little recognition still to this day for his dedication to the advancement of the 2 stroke engine. This book is a fast moving story that I did not want to put down until I was finished. Matt Oxley is a fine writer and gives insight that only a motorcycle racer could, especially when describing the racing action at the Isle of Mann TT.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Took your advice and bought "The Neon Rain"... (Dave Robicheaux)

Same here. I liked Neon Rain and have been reading the series on and off. I'm now reading Crusader's Cross, #14 in the series.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
I read that many years ago. It got a bit long in the tooth, but a good read non-the-less.
He is by far a better drummer/song writer than writer.

A language that cannot be understood, by most.. THANK YOU TERRY!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way... Have liked or loved all of the Clive Cusller (Dirk Pitt) books that he wrote solo.. Yet every single one that had his name and a co-author sucked so bad that I couldn't get through a single chapter.. WTF??!

My theory is that the greedy old bastage sold his name to some crappy authors to get their books to sell. Maybe he edited those books.. or gave advice.. or just charged them a hefty fee.. It's obvious he didn't write them... Sad to see a well respected writer whore out his own name for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
Clive Cussler's Pitt books (but not the ones which are titled Clive Cussler with ...................).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Different every day

The Oregon File series books, co-written with Jack Debrul, are pretty good.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one to feel this way... Have liked or loved all of the Clive Cusller (Dirk Pitt) books that he wrote solo.. Yet every single one that had his name and a co-author sucked so bad that I couldn't get through a single chapter.. WTF??!

I used to read all the Dirk Pitt books, but found the co-auther books boring and stopped reading these a couple years ago.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 AM

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's - Pendergast Series

Lee Child's - Jack Reacher Series

Vince Flynn's - Mitch Rapp Series

Every Dean Koontz book but especially Odd Thomas Series

John Connolly's - Charlie Parker detective series... Creepy and fascinating

P.T. Deutermann's - Cam Richter novels

All of Jim Butcher's - Harry Dresden novels

Wilbur Smith's - Egyptian. Novels

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - Non-Fiction

2014 R1200gs LC - Maybe the perfect bike???
2012 K1300s - Bavarian ICBM
2005 R1200gs - sold, no regrets
2002 K1200rs - gone but not forgotten!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wolfman63' for this post:
XRx
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 AM
Nice day for somethin'

Lots of interesting books there. I enjoyed the "Horatio Hornblower" series by C. S. Forrester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Hornblower. He also did wrote what I consider to be a great book about a destroyer captain leading a convoy across the Atlantic in WWII, "The Good Sheperd." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Shepherd_(novel).

Well, Mr. Forrester is long gone, and I've read all his books. There is another, similar series, starting with "Kydd," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kydd_(novel), by Julian Stockwin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Stockwin).

Finally, if you haven't read it yet, I recommend "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate_Is_the_Hunter

Seeya
ATB
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
Lots of interesting books there. I enjoyed the "Horatio Hornblower" series by C. S. Forrester.

If you liked the Hornblower series I think you will love the Jack Aubrey series starting with "Master and Commander" written by Patrick O'Brian - beautifully written and historically accurate about Jack Aubrey, a British Naval Commander and his close friend and ship's surgeon Steven Matarin, tracing the captains career through 20 novels. Russell Crowe starred in the movie "Master and Commander" based upon the contents of a few of the novels about 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Shooting the gap

Currently reading Marcus Lutrell's Lone Survivor. I didn't want to see the movie before reading the book. It's such a gut-wrenching story I might not see the movie until it's out on On Demand. I don't want the whole movie theater hearing me cry like a baby.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up Re: Read a good book lately?

Quote:

Pendergast has always been one of my favorite characters. Completely unique character development and I like the somewhat spooky background in the novels. If you like Pendergast, may I suggest the Charlie Parker mysteries by John Connolly. I'm pretty sure you'll love them.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Since we're sounding off on favorite reads, my list would not be complete without Louis Lamour. The entire Sackett series is classic American literature. Of course, I've read almost all his books and have NEVER been disappointed. I have downloaded most of them to the iPad and occasionally find myself revisiting old favorites. I almost never do that with other authors. They are simple books, simply written and full of adventure.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Site Contributor

Last couple of books I have read or David Baldacci's "The Hit" and "The Innocent".

John Sandford's "Storm Front"

Just started reading Steve Pressfield's "Gates of Fire"

"Lone Survivor" is in the queue with "The Moon in the Nautilus Shell"

Claremore, Ok
Old 01-24-2014, 07:26 PM
GT or RT, that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
Currently reading Marcus Lutrell's Lone Survivor. I didn't want to see the movie before reading the book. It's such a gut-wrenching story I might not see the movie until it's out on On Demand. I don't want the whole movie theater hearing me cry like a baby.

On the non-fiction side I would also recommend the following books:

"Outlaw Platoon" by Sean Parnell
"Lions of Kandahar" by Rusty Bradley
"The Trident" by Jason Redman

My son who returned from Afghanistan last summer recommended "Lions of Kandahr". I would strongly recommend not reading "Outlaw Platoon" or "Lions of Kandahar" if someone close to you is currently stationed in that hell hole.

"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle is a good book, but not at the intensity of those first three.

I read "Lone Survivor" and would put it between "Outlaw Platoon" and "Lions of Kandahar" as to how well it draws the reader into the story. They all gave me goosebumps because I never forgot that what's written wasn't from some writers imagination, but real men lived these events.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ramcneal' for this post:
Old 01-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcneal
On the non-fiction side I would also recommend the following books:

"Outlaw Platoon" by Sean Parnell
"Lions of Kandahar" by Rusty Bradley
"The Trident" by Jason Redman

My son who returned from Afghanistan last summer recommended "Lions of Kandahr". I would strongly recommend not reading "Outlaw Platoon" or "Lions of Kandahar" if someone close to you is currently stationed in that hell hole.

"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle is a good book, but not at the intensity of those first three.

I read "Lone Survivor" and would put it between "Outlaw Platoon" and "Lions of Kandahar" as to how well it draws the reader into the story. They all gave me goosebumps because I never forgot that what's written wasn't from some writers imagination, but real men lived these events.

I read American Sniper and it was good. When I get done with Lone Survivor I will check out Lions of Kandahar. Thanks! And a big thank you to your son!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider

I haven't finished the book but broke down and went to the movie last night before it goes away. I wouldn't put very high up my scale on "must see movies". But it does bring attention to what our troops sacrifice.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Jesus saves!

'Revelation' Anyone 'here' that has ever tried to seriously interpret that? (in English please)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Banned Spammer

Quote:
'Revelation' Anyone 'here' that has ever tried to seriously interpret that? (in English please)

Like most everything in the bible you can interpret it to mean whatever you want it to.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Loves Obama more than riding

Quote:

no, never been done before...

but I would love to hear/read your interpretation...
“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently..."

― George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron163
no, never been done before...

but I would love to hear/read your interpretation...

That was a question that I asked, Paul.

I would first like to read your work if you have read 'all' the Book(s) a few times..
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Loves Obama more than riding

Quote:
That was a question that I asked, Paul.

I would first like to read your work if you have read 'all' the Book(s) a few times..

we'll mr. bear, I can't claim to have read all the books of the great religions but I have some familiarity with the Torah, king james, and koran. and have dabbled in the gnostic gospel as well as satanic verses... plus a little of the hindu and buddhist faiths along with native american beliefs... if you have a favorite, we can discuss...

as far as my own writing, I don't do fiction - just technical stuff that will make your eyes bleed
“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently..."

― George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman63
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's - Pendergast Series

Lee Child's - Jack Reacher Series

Vince Flynn's - Mitch Rapp Series

Every Dean Koontz book but especially Odd Thomas Series

John Connolly's - Charlie Parker detective series... Creepy and fascinating

P.T. Deutermann's - Cam Richter novels

All of Jim Butcher's - Harry Dresden novels

Wilbur Smith's - Egyptian. Novels

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell - Non-Fiction

Good call on the Jack Reacher series. I ran out of Mitch Rapp stuff, which was some of my all time favorites, and saw you recommended it and Reacher. I recently saw the movie and enjoyed that. Glad I saw the movie before the books, otherwise I think it would have disappointed. But anyway, the Reacher stuff is fun stuff. You might also enjoy the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben.

Otherwise I did just finish deliverance a few minutes ago, it was pretty good. If was one of many books I saved to read someday from back when I used to buy and sell used books.