I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello from Portsmouth

Hi,
new to this forum
I am picking up a 1200 rs at the weekend
the seat is supposed to be adjustable and I wondered how this is done?
The ABS light also comes on for a while when the bike is started. it does go off after a while but if it comes back on if I turn off the engine then start the bike again. is this normal?

Dave
Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,604 Times in 3,268 Posts

Re: Hello from Portsmouth

Dave:

Welcome to the site. The ABS light comes on at start up as part of the diagnostic run through.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:58 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Portsmouth

Welcome from Texas
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 11-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,002 Posts

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new acquisition.

What year is the bike? In the UK as of '01 the RS was equipped with what is known as iABS, and that included essentially power brakes. The ABS unit has an electronic assist, essentially power brakes. With the key off there is very little brake available so, if it is an '01 or later be cautious when rolling the bike around.

As for the flashing lights, with the key on, before you start the engine, the Red Triangle and "Brake Failure" light will flash. This is the ABS system going through its self check. If all is normal, after a few seconds the Red Triangle light will extinguish, but the "Brake Failure" light will continue to flash.

It's best to wait for the Red Triangle light to go out before starting the bike. Then with the bike running, after riding away for a couple of yards, if the brakes are working properly, the Brake Failure light will go out as well. This reflects normal operation of the brakes, and the same procedure will exist every time you start the bike, its normal.

As for adjusting the seat, I could show you how to do it, but I'm not sure I could explain it. For what its worth there there are two positions, high and low.

Check out the K1200RS tech forum, and use the search feature to answer other questions you may have. Here's a link, http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

You should start with checking to see if the plastic gas line quick disconnects have been replaced with stainless steel units (here's a source www.beemerboneyard.com) as the plastic ones have been known to crack, and as the fuel is under pressure that can lead to low grade entertainment.

Also check whether the bike is still equipped with the stock rubber brake lines, they are known after the passage of time to weaken, crack or develop pinhole leaks. Stainless steel lines are the solution (one additional source www.pirateslair.net)

Also if you don't have a service history on the bike, flushing out the old brake fluid and fully bleeding the system is at least a bi-annual service requirement, look in the tech forum for the "how to".
Old 11-14-2018, 04:54 AM
Twisted Wrister

With the seat engaged loosely in the lock, lift the front of the seat as high as it will go as you push the rear edge forward fully into the lock - this will give you the high position.

Best mod you can make is to fit these:-

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_45_IA_70

My 1997 RS is still making me smile after 14 years - hope you enjoy yours, the Bentley Continental of motorcycles.

PS - The ABS goes through its check at every start-up - if your battery is even a little below par, the lights will keep flashing as the system cannot guarantee that there's enough juice to operate the ABS. Normally, just a 5 minute ride to the petrol station will give the battery enough charge for the next ABS check to work and switch off as soon as you roll.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,520 Posts

Welcome aboard Dave!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,840 Times in 2,106 Posts

Congrats! BMW K12RS is one of the best bikes BMW ever made.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your prompt replies
The bike is ‘R’ reg so 20/21 years old. It has been in a garage for the past 12 years with the occasional start up. It was serviced and needed a new ABS master cylinder and fuel pump.
I will check the brake pipes once I collect the bike at the weekend

Is there a link to a service manual on the forum so I can learn how to check the oil, check tyre pressure etc?

Dave
Old 11-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,002 Posts

Best bet is to pick up the Clymer Manual for the bike, https://www.ebay.com/p/Clymer-M501-3...0908886&chn=ps

and the oil level is in a sight window on the driver's right side of the bike, there is an opening on the fairing belly pan that shows the sight window. Check with the bike on the center stand after allowing a few minutes following engine off for the oil level to normalize, oil level should be observable though the window and should not be very much higher than the "dot" in the sight window. If you can see the oil level in the sight window its OK, better slightly underfilled than overfilled,

Procedure for Oil change here, http://pirateslair.net/Oil.htm, and check the K1200RS/GT tech forum for answers to probably any question you might have.