I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

2000 K1200RS Brake Fluid Flushing With OEM Filler Adapter?

I'm in the process of flushing the brake fluid system on my 2000 KRS. I have the ABS II system and the right front caliper has one of those OEM brake fluid adapters so I'm looking for information on a brake fluid bleeding valve to screw into the adapter so I can bleed the front brakes. Our local BMW dealer retired and closed shop. I'm hundreds of miles from the next nearest dealer so I'm fishing for information, parts needed and a parts supplier from someone who has covered this ground before.

I bought a Mityvac pump and started on the left front caliper as my Clymer manual instructed. All seemed to be going well until I finished on the left side and went for the right caliper and could not find a bleeder valve. Clymer says I need to remove the grub cap in the OEM filler adapter and install a removable bleeder valve. Hmmm, I'm assuming this filler adapter must have some kind of check valve to prevent back flow of fluid so is this a special bleeder valve? So, here I am with what seemed like a simple task and I'm spinning my wheels. I'm trying to order the bleeder valve online but none of the parts listing I've found, show the filler adapter or the needed bleeder valve.
If anyone out there has information on this, I'd appreciate some guidance. I would probably buy a second bleeder valve to keep as a back up unless BMW is real proud of their parts and the price reflects their pride. Is there anything else awaiting down the line on a system flush and more parts might be needed? This is the simpler ABS ll system and my first shot at flushing and bleeding so it's a learning process on my part.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Re: 2000 K1200RS Brake Fluid Flushing With OEM Filler Adapter?

Had the same question a few years ago with Bertha II.
Very happy with the speed bleeder upgrade from Kirby.
Easy and effective in the near and long term.

https://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.com/
Old 06-02-2018, 07:01 AM
ZNAM
Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,440 Posts

Buy a BMW vent screw (bleeder) P/N 34 21 2 330 310. The bleeder has a check valve in it that closes when tight and opens when loosened. Remove the cap on the filler adapter and replace it with the bleeder. The attached pdf says to not leave the bleeder in the filler adapter, but I have and haven't had any problems for over 17 years. You can get a bleeder from any BMW dealer who sells parts online. I use MAX BMW (Link below). Good luck.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...9&rnd=07242017
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K1200RS Brake Bleed.pdf (1.10 MB, 9 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thanks for the replies, I will go with the oem vent since I'm using the Mityvac. Do you happen to know if there are any more needed additional parts in the flushing process? It sounds like if I need the vent bleeder in another location, further into the process, I just unscrew it and reuse it unless it's a different design. This is my first flush and I stopped at the right front caliper after I discovered the problem. I'm following the step by step procedure outlined in the Clymer Manual and hoping the bleeding works the first shot.

Does anyone happen to know if I were to unscrew and remove the vent bleeder after use, if there will be much spillage of back flowing brake fluid or is there a check valve in the existing filler adapter? It sounds like the factory injected brake fluid into the system from the calipers on the initial fill and there is likely a check valve somewhere.

Thanks for your replies,
Keuka
Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

You can remove the "filler adapter" and replace it with a regular bleeder.And leave the bleeder there.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)