I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1600 Series Motorcycles > K-1600GT/GTL > "K1600GT/GTL" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman
Helmet and Communicator

So my C3 and BMW communicator for my 2012 K1600GTL are getting pretty worn. The battery won't last eight hours for the BMW communicator. So I am looking at option to replace the helmet and maybe the communicator. When buying a new K1600 what do the recommend for bluetooth that will work with the bike and the thumb wheel? Any other helmet options? I never liked the Schuberth C3 fit and the visor that would not stay up and the quality was lacking. I look at the C3 Pro and C4. C3 pro seems to have a visor that might stay up but that's about it. The C4 is still a mystery to me and the bluetooth setup won't work with the thumb wheel. Mostly I ride two up with the wife and use the intercom and like the option to turn the volume up and down with the thumb wheel.

Thanks for any help.

Still love my #600 K1600GTL still running strong
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Lost in the haze

Re: Helmet and Communicator

So far, after spending $2000 for a pair of new C4s with the Sena SC1 communications systems my opinion is this: The helmet is as good as the communications system is wretchedly bad. My wife and I have raw, bruised finger-tips from mashing down tiny buttons in a fruitless search to get the right magic combination of buttons and timing to get the two headsets to pair. After HOURS we gave up. Yes, we read the manual, and quick-start guide (which are different!), and tried to find a useful YouTube video. No joy, no comms anywhere. To add to the aggravation, the SC1 has a mind of it's own: it may decided to allow the user to use the following menu sequence: ( "-" for one second, then tap "+") to enter pairing mode (which does not work), and other times doing this does not start this function! It doesn't do anything. Sometimes the Sena gets really annoyed with you and simply refuses to power up at all. We've tapped buttons, held buttons for one second, held buttons for 8 seconds, tried every combination possible--when the unit gives us permission, of course--it is simply will not pair! One helmet will pair to a telephone, but so far SC1 to SC1 Advanced--no, a waste of a lot of money. Go back to tapping on your co-rider's leg!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

I guess no Sena SC1 for me. I found a new old stock BMW communicator on Ebay and bought that. Had the battery pack rebuilt on the wife's helmet. Replaced the liner on my helmet and install new visor ratchets. Shield still won't stay up. Will not buy a Schuberth helmet again.
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Site Contributor

Slightly off-line comment here. I had the Sena 10U fitted to my full face Arai. The fit was perfect, two easy to use buttons and handlebar control. That's where my praise ends. The system would pair with my phone every time, but intermittently with the handlebar control. After about two months of use, it would be working, then produce static and lock out any controls. Couldn't turn it off and had to wait for the battery to die. Did repeated firmware updates and problem persisted. Could never get it to pair with another Sena unit. Ripped it out, sent it back and received a full refund from my dealer. Mucho praise for that! This has soured me on any BT comms system.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

I have no idea about controlling the volume with the wheel, but I have bought two systems, a Sena and a Scala Rider by Cardo, and the Scala Rider is by far the better unit. On the first system, the Sena, my communicator would start to tell me the battery was low after an hour (I told Beth that was a safety feature.) I couldn't get decent service on the Sena, so I scrapped it and went with the Scala Rider. It does have some of the "tiny button" issues that was mentioned earlier, but the intercom is easily hooked up. Just push a button and say, "Call intercom". The english-accented woman's voice confirms the command, and in about 4 or 5 seconds you hear a little beep, and the intercoms are hooked up. I could use better fidelity, but that's the fault of my hearing, not the intercom.

The scala rider will hook up to other Bluetooth devices, but I haven't tried that. I don't carry music around, and I don't want the distraction of phone calls coming in.

But the Scala Rider gets my vote for intercoms.

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgordon
So far, after spending $2000 for a pair of new C4s with the Sena SC1 communications systems my opinion is this: The helmet is as good as the communications system is wretchedly bad. My wife and I have raw, bruised finger-tips from mashing down tiny buttons in a fruitless search to get the right magic combination of buttons and timing to get the two headsets to pair. After HOURS we gave up. Yes, we read the manual, and quick-start guide (which are different!), and tried to find a useful YouTube video. No joy, no comms anywhere. To add to the aggravation, the SC1 has a mind of it's own: it may decided to allow the user to use the following menu sequence: ( "-" for one second, then tap "+") to enter pairing mode (which does not work), and other times doing this does not start this function! It doesn't do anything. Sometimes the Sena gets really annoyed with you and simply refuses to power up at all. We've tapped buttons, held buttons for one second, held buttons for 8 seconds, tried every combination possible--when the unit gives us permission, of course--it is simply will not pair! One helmet will pair to a telephone, but so far SC1 to SC1 Advanced--no, a waste of a lot of money. Go back to tapping on your co-rider's leg!

I was confused by the instructions but had good luck after watching this video.

https://youtu.be/N8B6_eO3zUw

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Site Contributor

All of the above is why I use my old school Autocom system when riding with the wife and wanting an intercom. No battery to worry about. My Valentine 1 is also wired to speaker in helmet. No battery!

Jim
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Lost in the haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgordon

Follow-on to this post: Things may have gotten better. Both Schuberth and Sena responded to my question, both to repeat the instructions found in the manual. What I think turned out to be the problem is, "how long is a second?" The pairing process requires both communicator's "-" button to be held for one second before pressing "+." The trick is an...extened tab of the "-" button--too long and you're into a different mode. Maddening, but learnable. Not that I've speant any time using the system--we've spent the past two weeks trying to get it to work at all.

I'm still a big fan of the C4, but the way. For those of use with heads that resemble H.R. Gieger's "alian" it fits really well.