I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: 2003 k1200gt self diagnosis start sequence

Thanks all. I think you guys are unnecessarily daunted at the idea of repairing a bike that's been crashed. Things get broken and bent and then they get repaired or replaced.. I did say this bike was crashed and first order of business was get it started/running, then rolling, then stopping, then test ride.. i'm right on target. Well my rear brake bleed didn't work but I replaced that broken bracket and decided to use the master and steel braid line that came with the bracket and hey so either my bleed didn't work (recall I did it per clymer without powering the iabs) or that master was no good. And the wheel unbending with heat is the way and I only unbent it enough for a test ride (I'll replace the wheel and tire before real road use. I forgot to mention that my rear swingarm was cracked at the bottom rear so that (and the crunched swingarm torsion struts) , is a good indicator the swingarm might be bent. $150 parts plus my labor still reasonable.. first I want to really see the bend. And found a two string method to try. Thanks all again! Oh. Oh and this tail light is led (not an 1157 led bulb but rather a panel of red leds) and needs replacing.. does the 2003 k1200gt come stock with an led tail light? Bc I thought I read somewhere about people doing tail light led upgrades?
Old 11-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,011 Posts

A broken swing arm would indicate to me a bent frame too, and absent specialty equipment that would be beyond the ability or willingness of most of us - plenty of swingarms on eBay, but straightening an aluminum frame, not sure how that would work if necessary - the frame is pretty beefy, I think it would take a hell of an impact to bend it, but again, outside of my knowledge

As for the brake lights, I know my '02 RS came through with a standard 1157 bulb in the brake light assembly, I expect that not much changed in that regard to the '03 GT, there are lots of aftermarket alternatives
Old 11-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Getting up to speed

I suspect that the swingarm will need to bend pretty badly to bend the frame and the swingarm isn't horribly mangled so assuming I can do t he job, my plan is swap the swingarm. Thanks again everyone for your generous time and help... I tried to post a pic from last night's maiden voyage and it didn't post but ill get my arms around that also..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Getting up to speed

Can't be 100% sure but certainly looks like twisted swingarm.
the handlebars and trees looked square with front wheel and square with the tank and eyeing the back of the bike the rear wheel looks off. I did a string test ( http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/si...heel-alignment) which indicated rear and front were parallel but offset. Then I put a level on the front wheel which looked about vertical and then the rear wheel was cocked about 3/8" off verticle. Certainly consistent withe the damage i found to wheel and torsion struts (actually the luggage rack shattered and bags and trunk broken off).
I looked at the manual and swingarm job not out of my skills but I need to weld up that 30mm torque tool. Probably attack it in the spring as it's getting cold and I could see things dropping to deep freeze as soon as I get started. I have other bikes to ride including my '84 venture winter/rain/camping/girlfriend bike (i think the kbike gonna replace her).
And I looked closer at why the temp was so high and found the right side fan mount broken and the radiator is displaced thus crimping the hoses.. the saga continues. And the front fairing frame looks a bitch to change she might get a fixed fairing.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:45 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

There is a wheel offset spec in the manual.Rather significant offset and even the normal spec is a significant XXmm to XXmm.

I don't think that is in Clymer but is in the BMW service manual.

Vertical alignment? I wouldn't check that with a previously bent wheel unless I could put it in my wheel jig first and check it.Final drive flange? That one is where you could put the level.

However.....if that bike has run on its side for a time after the "incident" I'd try to make sure that it didn't run without oil.Compression?Valve cover off for a cam inspection? Oil pressure at spec?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks on the offset.. so is this a tolerance where as the front wheel is ideally centered within the rear wheel? My offset looked significant and about 3/8" which is coincidentally near same as the amount the wheel was leaned over. BUT FOR MY REFERENCE IN CHECKING MY NEW SWINGARM, DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS SPECIFICATION???

As for bent wheel, it looks to have hit a curb and I got the radial damage out pretty good and while it is a tad lumpy, it's not spinning sideways (in fact, I don't see how it could spin at an angle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
There is a wheel offset spec in the manual.Rather significant offset and even the normal spec is a significant XXmm to XXmm.

I don't think that is in Clymer but is in the BMW service manual.

Vertical alignment? I wouldn't check that with a previously bent wheel unless I could put it in my wheel jig first and check it.Final drive flange? That one is where you could put the level.

However.....if that bike has run on its side for a time after the "incident" I'd try to make sure that it didn't run without oil.Compression?Valve cover off for a cam inspection? Oil pressure at spec?
Old 11-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Why mess with it? I see several swingarms on ebay for under $75. I see a complete rear end for under $150 (shipping from AUS will be another $150). For $50-75 you will have a "known" good swingarm.

It sounds like the rear of the bike hit something hard. Lots of cast pieces back there that don't do well with sudden impacts. If there are any cracks it's not something I'd ride - too much can go wrong.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bruincounselor' for this post:
Old 11-28-2018, 06:18 PM
Getting up to speed

Yes. I had no intention of trying to unbend or untwist my swingarm and I will be buying a used e bar swingarm but probably not until I start disassembling mine which with the winter upon us now looks like spring unless one friend offers his garage. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyS-NJ
Thanks on the offset.. so is this a tolerance where as the front wheel is ideally centered within the rear wheel? My offset looked significant and about 3/8" which is coincidentally near same as the amount the wheel was leaned over. BUT FOR MY REFERENCE IN CHECKING MY NEW SWINGARM, DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS SPECIFICATION???

As for bent wheel, it looks to have hit a curb and I got the radial damage out pretty good and while it is a tad lumpy, it's not spinning sideways (in fact, I don't see how it could spin at an angle).

You need the BMW service manual for them specs.The later version with the iABS stuff/bleed sequences in it.Brake lines replacement.....MCs etc is covered for the iABS.DO NOT use the earlier Clymer's instructions for the earlier ABS systems on an iABS bike.

There is a free one on CarlSalter's website.Listed as 04 so could be the right one?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)