I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Getting up to speed

LED Can Bus Front Signals

Just wanted to confirm for everyone that the following LED's do work with the K1300s, fit well, and do not cause any can bus issues.

They can be purchased here: http://www.superbrightleds.com (do a search for "can bus" or with the part numbers below)

WLED-x5-CBT: 5 Radially Mounted High Power SMD LEDs, 1 Forward Aiming SMD LED, CAN Bus bulb - 360 degree beam - These bulbs are Non-Polarized (I used Natural White LED for headlight area W5W replacement and license plate light replacement)

WLED-x13-CBT: 13 Radially Mounted High Power SMD LEDs, 1 Forward Aiming SMD LED, CAN Bus bulb - 360 degree beam - These bulbs are Non-Polarized (I used amber for front turn signal replacement (remember with LED to match light housing color))

The replacement LED size is the same as OEM so there are no fitment issues to concern yourself with. They are very close to OEM brightness, maybe even a smidge brighter.

I use "Weiser LED" kit for the rear turn signals and, ignoring the headlights, am now 100% LED, I have no can-bus issues, have not had to modify anything and the flash rate remains the standard rate and is not accelerated with this setup.
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'scrape' for this post:
Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Site Contributor

Re: LED Can Bus Front Signals

give me pictures
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Getting up to speed

Of what? I am not taking apart my bike again to reinstall the OEM bulbs to take a comparison photo. Also why you flipping me the bird? Geez. Try to post a helpful post.......
Old 07-26-2012, 10:55 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape
Of what? I am not taking apart my bike again to reinstall the OEM bulbs to take a comparison photo. Also why you flipping me the bird? Geez. Try to post a helpful post.......
Envious...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Glad you found some solutions, but as a minor correction, the problems some have found in trying to use LED signal lights, has nothing at all to do with the CANBUS system.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Getting up to speed

I guess I am missing something to all of this.......what are the issues? These are new LED units designed for CANBUS electronics, recenty released to the market. Is my bike going to burn up or something horrible I am not aware of yet? They do not compare to any LED's of 6 month ago because they were not available back then. So again, what am I to be concerned about?

So what are the LED concerns if not CANBUS related (meaning false blown lamp errors or fast flash rates?)

My idea this morning: Try to help the i-bmw masses here based on my real life experiences, as these are the exact types of posts I seek when looking for new accessory ideas myself.

In reply....
1) someone flips me off.
2) someone envious of me not taking the bike apart
3) someone makes a correction, for what, I do not know.

Geez cannot wait to see the responses when I post an Amsoil thread (just kidding )
Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Site Contributor

nothing personal Scrape, the little smiley was meant to be rubbing his fingers together like "show me the money" as for the lights i thought they were mounted on your steed
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
2006 K1200R

scrape,

much appreciated! you've saved me time and possibly aggravation from ordering and possibly receiving the wrong bulbs.

thank you!

btw... found a great function where you can add individuals to your ignore list. does a great job weeding out the unappreciative and the unbelieveably hyper-critical. select the poster by clicking their handle, view public profile, the on the right side you can add to ignore list. confirm submit and its like they don't even exist anymore.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Getting up to speed

GreyFox - Sorry I interperted your meaning differently. Now I understand what you meant.....we were talking about lights, but I was thinking bulbs and you were thinking light assemblies. I will attach a picture of the bulbs I am talking about here for clarity.

BTW the bulbs cost something like $6 ea. for the small 5 LED one and $15 ea. for the 13 LED big one. The rear Weiser set I purchased was big $$$ and not the main focus of this posting. However if you want more info on those just PM me or Google "Weiser LED" and it will be come immediately apparent.

So anyways let me see if I can figure out this picture thing......hey look....cool, there they are.

So no harm done anyone, sorry to be so sensitive, it's all good in the end.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Site Contributor

I got these bulbs they work as advertised,
I would recommend them
WLED-x5-CBT: 2 each, natural white

WLED-x13-CBT 2 each amber
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape
I guess I am missing something to all of this.......what are the issues? These are new LED units designed for CANBUS electronics, recenty released to the market.

Once again, CANBUS has nothing whatsoever to do with it. It seems that "CANBUS" is a catch-all in many people's minds to blame for any electrical problem. CANBUS is simply a communication and power control system that reduces wiring complexity.

The problem here is simply that each bulb is monitored for current by the ZFE (the central electronic system), (once again, this has nothing to do with CANBUS) and when a bulb monitor detects less than a specified current flowing to that light, it interprets this as a burned out bulb and generates an alarm that shows up on your LCD screen.

Because LEDs use a lot less current than a normal light bulb, the current monitoring system in the ZFE interprets this less-than-normal current it uses, as a burned out light. As far back as the K100, all large displacement BMWs, until the slant-4 bikes, ALL had lamp current monitors to tell you if a bulb was burned out, and NONE of them used the CANBUS system.

Anyone telling you that the LEDs are "designed for CANBUS use" hasn't a clue about what CANBUS is.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Site Contributor

OK now that thats cleared up,
lets just say that these LED bulbs are made to exacting standards and will use the same amount of energy as the standard incandescent bulbs do,
they have built in resistors to use more energy to work,
thus sending a signal to the electric system telling it that the bulb is in fact drawing the proper amount of current so that a warning code isnt thrown, requiring a computer in some cases to reset the system.

That said since the Canbus system is so different than previous systems these bulbs will work with the Canbus system, the same as they will work with the previous system.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
2006 K1200R

hey... you knew there was going to be at least one sexual intellectual. i guess some cant help it... its like some kind of uncontrollable impulse.

go figure.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Ride More.

Scrape, thanks very much for this info, just placed my order for the LEDs (I too have the Weiser kit for the rear flashers).

As for the rest, well...it is what it is.

Mike

2009 BMW K1300S - Sapphire Black/Granite Grey/Magma Red Tri-Color SOLD!
2009 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200GT - Graphite Black SOLD!
2008 Suzuki SV650 - Thunder Gray SOLD!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 AM
...but a good cigar is a smoke

Helpful info. You comment that brightness is the same (maybe a little more) as OEM. I'd like to replace the front turn signal bulbs with something significantly brighter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Your right Bob (RFW), I have non canbus led's and have not had any issues with them.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetAl1
Your right Bob (RFW), I have non canbus led's and have not had any issues with them.
Are they plug and play?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Once again, CANBUS has nothing whatsoever to do with it. It seems that "CANBUS" is a catch-all in many people's minds to blame for any electrical problem. CANBUS is simply a communication and power control system that reduces wiring complexity.

The problem here is simply that each bulb is monitored for current by the ZFE (the central electronic system), (once again, this has nothing to do with CANBUS) and when a bulb monitor detects less than a specified current flowing to that light, it interprets this as a burned out bulb and generates an alarm that shows up on your LCD screen.

Because LEDs use a lot less current than a normal light bulb, the current monitoring system in the ZFE interprets this less-than-normal current it uses, as a burned out light. As far back as the K100, all large displacement BMWs, until the slant-4 bikes, ALL had lamp current monitors to tell you if a bulb was burned out, and NONE of them used the CANBUS system.

Anyone telling you that the LEDs are "designed for CANBUS use" hasn't a clue about what CANBUS is.
Are they plug and play replacements?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW

RFW, I have to agree. I've worked in Embedded Control Systems Engineering for >30 years and since 1988 with SAE J1939 CAN Data Link (250k Baud and 500k Baud). It's simply a means of sharing data between Embedded Controllers and Displays.

In the case of J1939 Spec CAN Bus, the Physical Layer is a 2-Wire Un-Shielded Twisted Pair of Wires with two 120 Ohm Termination Resistors at the ends of the Bus. Observing the Data on an Oscilloscope reveals Differential Squarewaves with specific timed transitions between Logic "0" and Logic "1".

For example, Engine Coolant Temperature. The Coolant Temp Sensor Signal is read by the Engine Controller and is one of several Sensor signals used for controlling the amount of Fuel delivered to the Engine and especially for Cold Start conditions (richer than when warmed up). The Coolant Temperature Value is transmitted from the Engine Control, over CAN Bus, to the Display as well. In the K1300 case the value is displayed in Bar Graph format.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob49
Helpful info. You comment that brightness is the same (maybe a little more) as OEM. I'd like to replace the front turn signal bulbs with something significantly brighter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
I have found 2 types of bulbs that are bright enough to be a safe replacement for the incandescant bulbs in the indicators.

First off these, a good replacement for the oem bulb.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/326627...5516b752zhM5BV

Then there are these , they are brighter than oem incandescant bulb and have a richer more visible color than oem despite that i use them in smoked lenses.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328191...5516b752CIJlWB

For the rear i fitted spirit beast led indicators. Had to use resistors but i found that and an adapter for the bmw wiring so it was all plug and play. No need to cut or splice the wiring on the bike.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have these in https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=201739245109

they seem to work just fine with no errors, not burn your eyes out bright, but at least as good as the tungsten they replace. For that price I'd say suck it and see.
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Shooting the gap

But those are white light. smoked/clear lenses need amber/orange light. (in sweden an indicator can only be amber/orange light output.)
Thats usually a problem tht color and LED as they are'nt bright all in that color.

And i found white bulbs behind orange lenses to too white/washes out in color.