I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Postmeister

Angry Pet Peeve #96 - Vehicle mirrors

One of those things that really bugs me is how people set their mirrors. I'm guessing some will read this and know they are guilty of this. If by this message I save your ass someday, be thankful.
A lot, and I mean a lot, of people set their side view mirrors just past the point where they can't see the side of the car anymore. You know, you just lean in a little to see the whole side of the car and whether your door is closed. So what is this mirror doing? The same thing your rear view mirror is doing. And if you set the passenger side mirror in the same manner, you now have three mirrors all looking back at the same point, and none of them covering your blind spots (the intent behind side mirrors). The next time you're in your car/truck, look in your mirrors at the vehicle behind you. If you see it in all your mirrors, they're not set right. If you can see a car in your side mirror and not your rear view mirror, you've probably got your blind spot well covered. And I can promise you, Indy and other race car drivers aren't too worried about what's directly behind them, but what is in their blind spots since they aren't doing too much shoulder checking.
Survivability tip: if I'm behind a vehicle on my bike and I can see the driver in all their mirrors, I know they don't have their blind spot covered and won't put myself in a position to ride in their blind spot. It is a rare occurence that I'm in a car's blind spot and I can see the driver in their side view mirror. Even so, I don't stay their. I become another asshole biker who speeds up to get in front of the cars so I have my out and don't get boxed in.

Be safe!!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Half Fast Rider

Re: Pet Peeve #96 - Vehicle mirrors

Ditto. When I'm behind a car or truck I always check the mirrors when possible to see if they're actually using them. Another thing I watch for are cell phone drivers. I get around them as fast and safely as possible.
Steve

It's the blink of an eye from diapers to depends.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

of course if you are driving correctly in your cage you dont rely on your mirrors and visually check your blind spots, but never trust any vehicle you are over taking
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Shooting the gap

I set my mirros exactly that way because that is the way I want them. That way, when I back into my garage, I can sight in my car into the garage without hitting anything with the car. If you want a wider view get some of those convex mirrors. Otherwise, turn you head a little to see the blind spots.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Blitzmann,
You drive anything with 4 wheels? How the hell can I back my pickup if the mirrors don't show the sides of the vehicle?

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 06-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Postmeister

Okay, so far the only people who wish to have their mirrors set to see the sides of the vehicle is for when they are backing up. Personally, I turn towards the back and look out the rear view mirror when I'm backing up. If the view is obstructed, I will set the mirrors to deal with the situation. But I wouldn't support having the mirrors set like this all the time, for the instance of backing up which has to be less than 0.1% of the drive time.
Yes, I check my mirrors everytime I get into the car/SUV because my wife will have moved them for her liking. Ditto for rentals. And this is no big pain since most vehicles have power mirrors now.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:09 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

You have a valid point, but if you have no reference point when looking at the side view mirrors (i.e. the side of your vehicle), how can you know where you're looking in relation to your own position?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Maybe my old truck just has big mirrors or I have really good peripheral vision, but I've tested my mirrors against vehicles coming up from behind me to make sure that they stay in my mirror until I actually see them from the corner of my eye. Coincidentally(?) they line up in the same way that you say provides insufficient side views.

I use my mirrors religiously, especially when I am backing up. i also practice active scanning so I'll see somebody coming up behind me long before they could ever approach my blind spot (if I had one).

There may be something to that peripheral vision thing - there are also variations between the blind spots that exist in different types of cars.

I'm glad you brought this up - it will surely spark more awareness amongst us, especally any of us who don't use their mirrors frequently.

Dave.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Postmeister

I hate side mirrors, they get in the way when I'm splitting lanes!

ONON-
Mark

'02 Kawi EX500
'03 K1200RS Black
'04 K1200RS Zebra - R.I.P.