I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > I-BMW Racing > MotoGP
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

MotoGP World Championship

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei
Philip Island Information needed (planning a trip)

So I got a new girlfriend at the beginning of 2016, she asked why I like Motogp so much. I answered with the documentary "Faster". She finished it and said, "you said there was another, put it on", so I put in "fastest". She finished that and said, "is there another?"... so I put in "hitting the Apex". She is hooked! She asked what track I would most want to go to... of course I answered "Philip Island"... she said, "2017, we are going".

So We are still planning on the trip but I am looking for local knowledge with a race weekend experience too. What hotels are best to stay in to avoid traffic, etc...

I am interested in the area, I'd like to see anything cool (like even local places, as well as touristy), Planning on trying to hit the Barrier Reef for some diving, and looking to spend 10-14 days in country, though not all in one city.

Any input, suggestions, planning assistance, etc... would be welcome and I would repay in beverages for anyone who also attends the race and wants to meet up!

Thanks everyone!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 12-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,954 Times in 2,028 Posts

Re: Philip Island Information needed (planning a trip)

Hey Kyle, a few will argue that the Superbikes is a better experience than the motogp, but I haven't been to either, so I can't comment on those. Of course if you went to the Superbike in late February, you might have to drop in or participate in the Australian rally which is the weekend after.
I can help with bike hire, if you were planning to do a little bit of riding.
A way heaps to do here in Australia, i will take you guys out to lunch in sydney if your swinging by, or take the K1300R for a day of two if you like, some very nice riding around sydney.
Give us some dates is you can.

Cheers
Kiwimat
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 12-23-2016, 08:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2015
Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,061 Posts

Link too get you started. Eating wise, Cowes is the go too place, with plenty of choices.

If you decide too get accommodation on the Island, do it as soon as possible, as a lot of die hards book 12 months in advance.

http://www.visitphillipisland.com/ca...accommodation/

EDIT: I've always camped track-side, which is an education in itself.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 PM
Go Ugly Early

Sounds like she may be a "keeper"!

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 PM
... ...

Events:

Yeah, I agree with Mat. MotoGP is/was good. Been going on and off to Phillip Island since 1989. And also in the 1990's when it was at Eastern Creek. Since its been back at Phillip Island its now run by a government department and the bureaucrats have progressively stifled it over the years. So much so, that I know of a couple of journos that privately won't choose it as a go to event. Me either.

Superbikes are better. Riders and teams more approachable. I always reckon the riders that made the step away from MotoGP to the Supers are more relaxed and enjoy themselves more, and have less of an ego. Personal opinion here but I reckon the riding and racing is better.

The Island Classic (international event) held over the January long weekend is THE event to go to, IMHO. It could be because the bikes are of my vintage ....! Everyone is so friendly, they have an open pit policy - free for anyone and everyone to wander in and out of the pits, even the "celebs" stop what they're doing and have a good natter. These guys do it for the sheer love of it, and it shows.

Accomm for MotoGP: When we go we generally stay in a private house on the Island with friends. Have stayed in a hotel in town but its not my scene, neither is camping at the track. I love camping, but just not there. You can stay anywhere on the Island as they run a shuttle bus service right around the Island, so you can have some bevvies and not worry about getting done for drink riding/driving. They run the buses into the night.

If you can't find reasonable accomm on the Island, have stayed in both the pubs in Wonthaggi over the years.

Eats: Pino's is THE place to eat. You'll always find a few teams there. Its on Thompson Ave (main road into Cowes). But there are several good eateries along that stretch, and out along The Esplanade. Expect to queue. Again, not my scene. We stay in-house and fire up the barbie, crack open the bevvies and let the bullshit flow.

Kyle, having said ALL that, however you do the MotoGP, you WILL enjoy it. It really is a great event, and should be on most motorcyclists' Bucket List.

Oh ... forgot: Phillip Island can have four seasons in one day. Be prepared!

If you and your keeper lady see yourself heading west while you're in Australia, do look us up.

Regards
Fran
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frantic' for this post:
Old 12-24-2016, 02:43 AM
Thanked 1,395 Times in 783 Posts

Hey Kyle I've been to both MotoGP and WSBK at Philip Island and loved them both. I prefer WSBK on TV but live is a different story. Either is incredible. My daughter is a police officer and has been posed to North Queensland -Atherton. Her best friend and her partner run adventure tours in the Daintree including reef diving and fishing. Check the web. Let me know your plans when finalised and we'll see what we can arrange. Room for you here in Brisbane if needed

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 12-24-2016, 04:22 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I usually go to one or the other and some years go to both. The WSBK is much more laid back with a lot more genuine motorcyclist while Motogp has bigger crowds as a lot of people go just because its a gp. Having said that, theres nothing like seeing a gp bike cranking around Phillip Island. My preference is WSBK due to more bikes on the grid, more manufacturers and closer racing.

We usually stay in either Inverloch or Wanthaggi to avoid the party scene and is a nice ride along the coast at the end of the day.

If you like bike racing Phillip Island would have to rank right up there with the best places to watch.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Site Contributor

ive only been to the gp, its an awsome track. I thought it had two seasons in one day wet and windy or cold and windy
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'greyfox' for this post:
Old 12-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Planning on trying to hit the Barrier Reef for some diving, and looking to spend 10-14 days in country, though not all in one city. [/color]

The Barrier Reef is awesome and give you memories for life, what ever you decide KEEP THAT GIRL.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Wow! Thanks for all of the information! You all are great. I'm interested in WSBK but due to financial planning, vacation time (I had my motorcycle accident which took all of my vacation time and I need the time to build it back up), and girlfriend needs, our timing fits with motogp, though if anything happens, I'll consider delaying to next year. Visiting has always been a bucket list but one I wasn't sure would fall into place.

I'll pick your brains but I'm going to do some planning during the next couple days! You all rock!

I definitely think she is a keeper, she is always excited to watch the practices and the races. She pushed me to fix my Ducati rather than pushing me to change. And she did things for me when both arms were out of commission that many women would have fled (we had only been together a couple of months), and she continues to amaze me,
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 12-25-2016, 06:49 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2015
Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,061 Posts

I have not done it personally, more for tourists... I'm normally drinking at night...

https://www.penguins.org.au/attracti...-and-bookings/
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 02-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Brennan a bit for this. We ar finalizing plans, vrbo house on Philip island, a few attractions there, race, then to Sydney for a couple days before heading to Cairns for some rain Forrest and barrier reef diving before heading to Melbourne to Fly out.

I'll try to meet up with some of you! Mat, Perth is likely no time going to be possible, though we want a trip to the west sometime later.

For those that know the reef, anything to not miss? I know a day or two of diving is just barely scratching the surface but your country has a lot to offer and we really want to take in as much variety as we can.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"