I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Getting up to speed

New i-Beamer, new K, new questions for older threaders ...

OK lasses and lads, a quick "G'dday!". I've been sitting on top of a black K100 RS since I first bought her in 1988; and she's now got the best part of 250,000 km on the clock (or would have, if the instrument cluster still worked). The bike still goes like the clappers but its getting harder to source parts. So, instead of throwing expensive new parts at an old bike, I've just purchased a - slightly - newer K1200 instead.

Amazingly, I now own a 2004 K1200 GT with a 2006 compliance plate and, as such, I have now officially joined the 21st Century. Hence my joining a web forum too, just to prove I'm thoroughly modern. The new K cost me AUD$5,500 and has 63,000-ish on the odo (which actually works!). Only down side so far is that the new mount is dark blue - which is a minor pity 'cause everyone knows black ones go faster! Oh well, in the correct like it looks black, kind of. And given there's snow on our hills and its -6' or -7' C in the mornings here, the heated grips and seat are my special new friends!!!

Fortunately the bike came with rego papers, but unfortunately that was about it in terms of technical stuff. No rider's manual; no service log; no too roll or first aid kit either. So, a few questions from a complete K1200 novice:
  1. tyres pressures: I presume 36-38 in the front and 42 in the rear?
  2. suspension settings: I'm guessing, but dial it in tight and keep it fairly firm? Are there particular settings (and where are the dials, by the way)?
  3. factory repair manual: where is the best place to get a factory repair manual from, preferably a paper version?
  4. factory parts list / diagrams: in a similar vein, where would I find a good electronic BMW parts listing, preferably either on line or as a downloadable PDF?
  5. Riders manual: ditto for where to find a rider's manual, service log (assuming they're not in the same booklet)?
  6. heated seat: while I'm on about the joys of a heated seat, my BMW factory version only seems to heat the rider's seat - is that normal, or is there a broken circuit somewhere?
  7. what rev's are you changing gears at: I find I'm not working the motor particularly hard: the revs are around 2,000 to 4,000 around town when I change - is that kind of "normal"?
  8. aftermarket suspension: on the K100 I changed my front fork springs and rear strut to White Power and then Ikon springs - made a huge difference to handling; and the Ikons completely eliminated the older K-wallow. Any views on whether aftermarket suspension still makes a massive difference (to anything except your wallet)?
  9. extra flood lights: any recommendations about where to source some additional headlights, and how to fit them?

Interestingly, everything else seems to be going great guns - no ABS dramas, no issues with the fuel pump. Timing chain doesn't seem to rattle or clatter. Anything else I should know (about the bike) but clearly don't?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,009 Times in 2,036 Posts

Re: New i-Beamer, new K, new questions for older threaders ...

Welcome to iBMW Kaus.
Congrats on the your new bike!
Post up a picture when you get a chance.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,586 Times in 3,255 Posts

Bruce:
Welcome to the site.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,362 Posts

Welcome aboard Bruce!
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 08-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAUS
That'll get you in the ballpark, and you can adjust depending on tire model, suspension setup, road conditions, riding style, etc. I run 38-39 up front and 40-41 rear.
Quote:
2. suspension settings: I'm guessing, but dial it in tight and keep it fairly firm? Are there particular settings (and where are the dials, by the way)?
Stock suspension? If so, you've got a rear preload knob on the left side and a rear rebound (I think) adjustment on the shock body. Not much adjustment and likely not very useful at your mileage. See #8 below.
Quote:
3. factory repair manual: where is the best place to get a factory repair manual from, preferably a paper version?
There are PDF copies floating around the web. Search the archives for some possible links. Clymer for this bike is also quite useful.
Quote:
4. factory parts list / diagrams: in a similar vein, where would I find a good electronic BMW parts listing, preferably either on line or as a downloadable PDF?
Several dealers have this up online. Here's one of the better ones:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx
Quote:
5. Riders manual: ditto for where to find a rider's manual, service log (assuming they're not in the same booklet)?
Not sure on this one. I know you can buy them somewhere, but seems silly to spend money considering how rarely one consults it. Someone just needs to digitize it and make it available.
Quote:
6. heated seat: while I'm on about the joys of a heated seat, my BMW factory version only seems to heat the rider's seat - is that normal, or is there a broken circuit somewhere?
No personal experience here, but I believe that is as designed.
Quote:
7. what rev's are you changing gears at: I find I'm not working the motor particularly hard: the revs are around 2,000 to 4,000 around town when I change - is that kind of "normal"?
Depends on my mood and road/traffic conditions. If relaxed, I try to keep it above 3K, but sometimes catch myself loping a bit below.
Quote:
8. aftermarket suspension: on the K100 I changed my front fork springs and rear strut to White Power and then Ikon springs - made a huge difference to handling; and the Ikons completely eliminated the older K-wallow. Any views on whether aftermarket suspension still makes a massive difference (to anything except your wallet)?
YES! Aftermarket will transform this bike. Ohlins and Wilbers are two common choices. I put Ohlins on mine somewhere around the 25K mile (40K km) mark. Expensive, but totally worth it. In all my years here, I've NEVER read anyone complain about the cost after installing quality suspension components.
Quote:
9. extra flood lights: any recommendations about where to source some additional headlights, and how to fit them?
I haven't done it yet, but lots have. Many choices out there. Common spot is just below the oil cooler, but don't go too big in case of interference with fully compressed suspension.

Quote:
Interestingly, everything else seems to be going great guns - no ABS dramas, no issues with the fuel pump. Timing chain doesn't seem to rattle or clatter. Anything else I should know (about the bike) but clearly don't?
  • Make sure you do full brake bleeds at least every other year. The servo system is complex and expensive to replace. A full bleed is tedious, but not as bad as it first seems.
  • The rubber brake lines (if original) are beyond their useful life at this point. Get a set of stainless from any reputable vendor.
  • Keep an eye on the seam between the engine and transmission. If you see oil seeping out, you've likely got the dreaded o-ring failure or clutch slave leak. Either problem will require splitting the drivetrain to fix, and you'll replace a bunch of cheap seals on the way there. The important thing is to catch it before it fouls the clutch so you can save that expense.
  • If you still have the original plastic quick-disconnects for the fuel lines on the right side, replace those NOW. They WILL fail.
Welcome to the group!

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'racingiron' for this post:
Old 08-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,337 Times in 2,984 Posts

Welcome to the site, It looks like Eric, "RacingIron", has hit the high points, but let me emphasize that you look here, and if your engine, transmission, juncture, looks like this, you've got the dreaded O-ring problem,

and take a look at where your gas lines appear on the right side of the bike, if you still have black plastic disconnects, change them, they will fail. Source them from here, www.beemerboneyand.com, this is what they look like when replaced with the stainless steel version,

and if your bike still has the stock rubber brake lines, change those too, and flush the brake fluid while you're at it, once source for brake lines is here, www.pirateslair.net, and a step by step set of instructions on how to bleed your brakes is at the first couple of posts in this long thread, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4385&page=4 complicated, but doable.

Last edited by CJS350 : 08-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:17 AM
ōZNAM
Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
...a step by step set of instructions on how to bleed your brakes is at the first couple of posts in this long thread, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4385&page=4 complicated, but doable.
No pictures are available in the thread now due to Photo Bucket's new photo linking policy. However, I found a .pdf file of the procedure that has the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf K1200RS Brake Bleed Procedure.pdf (586.3 KB, 162 views)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. It's all very helpful - much appreciated. And that brake bleed PDF is unreal. Its a great piece of work; well done for passing it on. I've done a few brake bleeds on the K100; but its easy-peazy compared with the servo nightmare on the K1200. Anyway, I'll sort some braided steel lines and speed bleed thingies; and drain / bleed and replace all at the same time. And I'll get about 20 tonnes of plastic and some duct tape to manage the spills too (loved the photo in the PDF of the bike wrapped up like a chook in an oven bag, with just one handle poking out)!! And no there's no sign of the dreaded $2.85 o-ring failure (yes, have had to deal with that at about 200,000 kms on K100; and yes, cost me a clutch but sorted the rattle in the cush drive at the same time). As for the other hints - yes there is something amiss with the fuel lines (the connectors have been replaced and there's a fuel stain on the engine cover, which I guess means that one of the previous owners was not an I-Beamer fan and should have been). Will also need to sort fork seals as one of them is beginning to weep, so will probably replace the front shock (and maybe the steering damper) at the same time. Plenty of things to play with ...

One newbie question - is there a thread or link in here somewhere that tells rank beginners how to get all the tupperware off? Strikes me I might need to look at pretty soon.

Thanks again,

Bruce
KAus
Old 08-13-2017, 10:35 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,093 Times in 587 Posts

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice.
One newbie question - is there a thread or link in here somewhere that tells rank beginners how to get all the tupperware off? Strikes me I might need to look at pretty soon.

Thanks again,

Bruce
KAus

Done by one of our forum member, this Video on YouTube will give you very good hints to remove the fairings.

It was filmed on a K1200RS, but your K1200GT fairings are identical except for a few minor plastic additions at handlebars and at foot level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qay9_XuTegA

In the same YouTube channel , you will also find 2 videos about bleeding the IABS brake system (ABS with servos):
https://www.youtube.com/user/kontor15/videos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Will also need to sort fork seals as one of them is beginning to weep, so will probably replace the front shock (and maybe the steering damper) at the same time.
Fork seal replacement is an easy job. There's a thread here, although it appears the pics are gone (photobucket extortion again?):
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=26871
That job is quick and has no overlap with the shock replacement, so just do it alone. Replace both sides and change the oil in there while you're at it.

The shock is pricey and you'll want to do front and back as a set. Steering damper is also expensive, and not much bang-for-the-buck unless yours is toast. Some have just removed completely when it fails, but speculation is that it might be in place for catastrophic event prevention (tank slapper after minor front wheel lift?). With the bike on the centerstand, turn the bars lock-to-lock slowly and there should be almost no resistance. Try to do it faster and you should feel it kick in.

'03 K12RS
'94 R11RS - sold
'86 urq
Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi Kaus, I'm in Sydney and have pretty much the same bike as my daily commuter.... '04 build with '06 compliance plate... also 3rd owner but mine only had 27k km when I got it 2 years ago for $10k. Probably the same colour (Orient Blue).
Put some cheap ebay 10W cree lights under the fairing, they give good additional "side" lighting and visibility in traffic, also upgraded the low-beam to an H7 HID which is way brighter than stock. Just got to be careful that they can hit the front fairing and scratch it, if not placed far enough out (been there...)
I would have attached several documents and pics, but can no longer do it from work..
I have copies of service manual (pdf), fairing removal notes, etc etc.
Email me I can send what I have.... cws at al dot com dot au

mine's just shat one of it's fork seals too (left side), probably because of the way they've chewed up all our roads for the eastern suburbs light rail line... roads are a mess... thankfully only takes an hour or so to replace them once I get the new seals... have done it last year on my LT also.

Enjoy the upgrade!
2005 Orient Blue K1200GT
Ulysses #45310
GS911 owner
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Skype™ to GrenK1300s

Quote:
OK lasses and lads, a quick "G'dday!". I've been sitting on top of a black K100 RS since I first bought her in 1988; and she's now got the best part of 250,000 km on the clock (or would have, if the instrument cluster still worked). The bike still goes like the clappers but its getting harder to source parts. So, instead of throwing expensive new parts at an old bike, I've just purchased a - slightly - newer K1200 instead.

Amazingly, I now own a 2004 K1200 GT with a 2006 compliance plate and, as such, I have now officially joined the 21st Century. Hence my joining a web forum too, just to prove I'm thoroughly modern. The new K cost me AUD$5,500 and has 63,000-ish on the odo (which actually works!). Only down side so far is that the new mount is dark blue - which is a minor pity 'cause everyone knows black ones go faster! Oh well, in the correct like it looks black, kind of. And given there's snow on our hills and its -6' or -7' C in the mornings here, the heated grips and seat are my special new friends!!!

Fortunately the bike came with rego papers, but unfortunately that was about it in terms of technical stuff. No rider's manual; no service log; no too roll or first aid kit either. So, a few questions from a complete K1200 novice:

Welcome to the site Kaus and nice choice of bike. A couple of comments about the injectors (RHS), the comment to look to replace them if they are black is quite true . You do not want to see fuel squirting out against a car next to you, not unless it's someone that has recently pissed you off. The fuel does tend to go down very quickly though!!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:48 AM
Getting up to speed

I have a 2004 K1200RS which has just clicked over 80k. Fitted Ohlns front and rear a couple of years ago and they changed the bike - fantastic improvements. Others have covered you other questions, I just thought I would reinforce the Ohlins bit.

I have found that Pirelli Angel GT tyres at 38 front and 42 rear go very well on these bikes. I am regularly getting 11500 kms from a rear and about 14500 from a front.

I fitted a Corbin seat which helps the comfort on long trips, louder horns, a few extra running lights, front fender extender, tank bag, top box and a bar to fit the GPS between screen mounts.
1987 K75S Cafe Racer - Purple People Pleaser - 85kg lost.
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike (sold 2018)
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. All much appreciated. Also thought I'd provide a bit of a progress report of sorts, just for the just for. So here goes ...

Firstly, I took a photo or two of the two bricks side-by-side, while I still have them both: the 1988 K100 RS and the 2004 K1200 GT. I have to say, three decades later and the black K100 RS is still a nice bike. And after a smidge of electronic wrangling I loaded the image up (I hope) into my shiny new I-Beamer profile thingy. Kinda' interested to see how it went ...

Secondly, the progress report. Turns out the learning curve was not too steep after all (but, to employ a bad metaphor, I did need to drop down a gear or two when confronted by the servo systems). Also, a large helping of thanks to the years of I-BMW posts that have accreted on this forum. So, I've handed in original the Victorian plates, been over the pits here in the Territory, got a shiny new ACT rego plate (in insipid blue and off-white), bought some more insurance (to cover the second bike), and have riding the K1200 around a bit. Also been back on the K100 for comparison.

I'm not overly keen on taking mechanical risks on a 1200 cc's of heavyweight motorcycle travelling at speed - basically, I don't subscribe to the "give it a whirl and see what happens" school of spanner turning - so I managed to source an original BMW K1200 RS shop manual in paper form from a septic tank who was closing down his commercial repair shop. By coincidence l also got given a Clymer manual too. I got the dead fork seal the bike came with sorted; replaced the plastic fuel coupler (can't figure out why the previous owner had done only one of them); and got my friendly neighbourhood BMW whisperer to do a full systems brake bleed (badly needed, judging by the colour of the exiting fluid). Now I sure most of you servo aficionados will think I'm piking, and yes, I did check to how to guide in the forum threads, but I'm sure paying someone with the right tools to do it every time here after.

I remember when I got my K100 RS when it was brand new. For reasons that I can't fathom now I remember being impressed with the tool roll and the first aid kit. So, given I can't afford another new BMW this lifetime, I decided to do the next best thing and replace the empty roll that the tools were meant to be in with a complete one, which I got after a bit of hunting from some wreckers in Melbourne - turns out there was a Leatherman multitool in there too. Talk about fall out of a window upwards! Also got a nice, brand new, clean, shiny, and red + white (but completely hopeless in terms of responding to real roadside trauma) factory 1st aid kit via a mob in Brisbane. Shelled out a few hard earned squids to BMW and got a new Riders Manual and Maintenance book (didn't hurt the hip pocket too much, but not cheap either). Just finished the 60,000 km service too! And gave her a thorough wash and polish. All in all, as good as new (or nearly), just not as shiny.

Anyway, she's up an running, and going great guns. Interestingly, not as agile as the 30 year old K100 RS which, I think, has a shorter wheel base; but the K1200 certainly handles the corners much more smoothly and predictably. Love the extra 200 cc's too. The brakes really are something else!!! I just love the shear stopping power of the servo-assisted ABS, and the control! The suspension on both bikes is basically crap - I've been running Ikons on the front and back of the K100 and will probably put Wilbers onto the K1200. And I do love the heated seat and grips - especially with all the snow on the hills round here in winter!

Don't yet know what I think of the exhaust. The stock stainless steel sleave is nice and shiny, and the tone is a light year or two ahead of the K100's Singer Sewing Machine! Get's pretty hot though, so I need to watch my boot when I put the bike up onto the centre stand.

Don't seem to have any major ECU issues to write home about, but would agree that at low revs when cold / pulling off in the mornings the K1200 is not - quite - as smooth and steady through the lower revs as the K100.

The wind noise and buffeting was a surprise - until I got the hang of the windshield switch. Haven't laughed so much in a long while. Certainly works though. Needless to say, put a Laminar Lip on to cut down the wind noise to a more tolerable but still present whisper.

For those who passed on their wisdom about the lights, I totally agree: the lights are pretty crap (which can make it hard to see the kangaroos in the evenings until its too late) - lights are on the long-ish list of changes to be made over the next 200,000 km.

As for tyres, I'm running a pretty rock standard 36 / 42 on the Z8s that the bike came with. I'm pretty fussy about tyres pressure and check it at least twice a week. No handling issues, still got chicken strips, and when they reach their "use by" date I'll probably move onto Roadtec 01s.

So, that the story so far.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/se...s/manuals.html

I hope this helps
Old 10-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi ksplumy,

Thanks. That's a neat, functional website, which is surprising for BMW Motorrad. I went hunting for my K1200 GT but the data starts in January 2006. So my 2004 brick (a K1200 GT) never make it into BMW's brick stack; and - sin of sins - my very venerable vintage brick (the fabulous black K100 RS) never even made it onto their electronic pallet. Still, thanks for the steer. Much appreciated.

Yours,

Bruce.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KAUS' for this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Getting up to speed

You can get hold of the historical data for all BMW bikes going back many decades by contacting their Group Archives division. I have found them extremely helpful and efficient.
One of my friends bought a Blue K1 which he wanted to restore to original. I gave his the details and the next day he had the full history of his black K1. Subsequent sanding of the fairings showed 3 layers of paint with the original black colour beneath.

https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Quiltzig' for this post:
Old 10-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi Quilting,

OK, that is a great site. And in English too (while my French is passable unfortunately my German is pretty much non-existent). Loved the older K100 RS photos - 'RS Style', and testing out the at that time new ABS braking system. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Kaus,

Congrats on the K!!

For the lights, I've been able to replace both lo and hi-beams on my K1200RS with LED bulbs which can improve the lighting considerably with nothing more than changing the bulb. Surprisingly there was room for the cooling fan under the cover, too.

I say "CAN improve" because you have to research the bulbs. The RS requires H3 and H7 bulbs, but there are a bunch of different H3 and H7 LED's out there. I got the brightest (most lumens) I could find and the difference is amazing.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I took a photo or two of the two bricks side-by-side, while I still have them both: the 1988 K100 RS and the 2004 K1200 GT. I have to say, three decades later and the black K100 RS is still a nice bike. And after a smidge of electronic wrangling I loaded the image up (I hope) into my shiny new I-Beamer profile thingy. Kinda' interested to see how it went ...

Post your picture in this thread!

I had a similar situation three years ago. My 1985 K100RS (I bought it new) was pretty long in the tooth, and at 30 years on one bike I decided to get a new one. Enter the 2015 K1300s Motorsports. I got a picture of both together before I sold the K100RS in 2015.

On tire pressures, TRY another 2 psi in the front. On my K1300s, it makes a very noticeable difference in steering precision, and it turns in more 'nicely' at low speeds.

Yes, the new bike has a longer wheelbase - by 3 inches, I think. I noticed in the first turn I took that I was familiar with on the old bike that I had to lean the new one over farther at the same speed. One does get used to these things after 30 years on the same bike. That same longer wheelbase makes the bike a lot more controllable under power.

Some things I did to my bike that may be applicable to yours:
1. better horn
2. booster plug (fixed a lot of low-rpm throttle response issues)
3. grip puppies (cheap neoprene grip covers - reduces vibration, makes diameter larger for my hands, and still works fine with heated grips.)
4. center stand (almost never use it)
5. luggage rack (use it touring)
6. sport bags (use them a lot)
7. BMW tank bag (use it 100%, and it holds a radar detector along with various supplies)
8. custom heated Corbin seats. (Love the heat, wish the seat was softer)
9. two switched power outlets in the fairing, along with a power distribution thingie under the seat.

I run Pirelli Angel GT's on my bike. I'm happy with them.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
OK lasses and lads, a quick "G'dday!".

Welcome to the site Bruce and yes the black ones do go faster having owned two K100RS bikes and one was black

Yikes -6 to -7 degrees and I'm coming down next week for the MotoGP. Thank God the K13S has heated handle bars. My arse tends not to freeze as the friction helps retain the heat!

Ride safe and fast and don't let the wallopers catch you

Grenville
Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 PM
Getting up to speed

We are going to be coming across the ditch to Philip Island for the Moto GP... sounds like we should bring our thermals huh?
PM if you want to catch up with a fellow iBMW member whilst there.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltzig
We are going to be coming across the ditch to Philip Island for the Moto GP... sounds like we should bring our thermals huh?
PM if you want to catch up with a fellow iBMW member whilst there.
Hi Paul,

Let's face it mate, the only place remotely close to your neck of the woods is PI and Tasmania. You guys have seriously cold weather , especially this time of year compared to most of Aus!

My travelling mate and I will be staying on the Island and travelling by bus to and from the track. We will be wandering around on Saturday as is our want, checking out the sights and generally making nuisances of ourselves. So phone calls would be an idea, Ill put yours into my phone. I would love to catch up with a fellow i_BMW member. I know we will be in the pavilion checking out the softer delights of our chosen sport Not sure of time but the PM bit is definitely a good idea.

Hope to catch up and a safe journey Grenville
Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Getting up to speed

OK, for those talking about PI, I can't imagine anyone from the Land of the Long White Cloud (or the Apple Isle either, for that matter) needing thermals. Even here in chilly Canberra the weather has turned for the better. The Spring (Wilbers maybe?) is sprung, and all that. If fact, it will not be long 'till its hair dryer temperatures over 40 C again. We're kind of lucky here in The Capital - because we're high up in the mountains we get snow on the hills in winter; and because its inland Australia we get the heat too. Regardless, PI should be great fun - hope you enjoy the trip (can't imagine anyone will need their heating on, but I guess you can never tell).

And for those asking for a side by side photo, the best I could do at this point is an attachment (not sure how to insert an image), so see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K100 RS 1988 and K1200 GT 2004 - medium.jpg (1.23 MB, 14 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi Lowndes,

Just a quick questions: so, what brand of H3 and H7 globes did you settle on, and where did you get them from?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi phxazcraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
Post your picture in this thread!

Have tried, but still learning the ropes. The 'Insert Image' button doesn't seem to do anything? Is there code I should use instead?

On tyre pressures, I will indeed try another 2 or 3 psi in the front. I run 39 + 42 on my K100. At the moment I'm still seeing what I think, but to my mind the front end is less convincing than it should be. Haven't been able to decide if its the front tyres (shouldn't be), the front shock (still running the Showa original at 63,000 km), tyre pressure (probably), or the rider (yes, could be that too). My current bet is on tyre pressure.

Interesting observations about the wheelbase. I agree. And the longer wheelbase makes the bike a lot steadier or smoother, more predictable, around the corners too. Just seems to take longer to do. Is the steering rake the same, do you think?

As an aside, what kind of booster plug did you decide on? Did you also change the exhaust? And about the two switched power outlets in the fairing - what, where, and how? And what exactly is 'a power distribution thingie'? What exactly does it do - distribute power direct from the battery to the power outlets? PM me with the gory details and links.

And thanks too.

Cheers.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Sorry, also meant say that the K1300 looks absolutely great in that photo - can't quite see it clearly because there's something red in front of it ...
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Twisted Wrister

On the wheelbase/rake comment - I just don't know if you can compare the steering geometry between a traditional front fork and a Hassock design.

I've heard it said a lot in reviews that the K1300s (and 1200s) Hassock design doesn't have the same feel as a traditional fork. Probably quite true, but I think that feel is there, just more subtle. And the steering precision is much improved just going from 36/42 to 38/42. I've tried higher pressures, and I don't feel much steering change with more pressure in the rear, but it changes an awful lot up front. You can go way too far also - I accidentally overfilled to about 55/50 one day, and as soon as I pulled out of the driveway I thought I was on some weird bicycle. Had to stop a block away and bleed off some air. (Didn't have gauge, was winging it).

The power thing: I wish I had the name of the module, but I forgot it. It's basically just a piece of plastic that holds several fuses and offers about 6 fused connections for accessories. It is NOT a PDM (Power Distribution Module) that I read about here, though I'm unclear of the difference. It's an aftermarket thing I bought at the BMW shop here, possibly made by Powerlet. (See PDM60. My thing is only rated to 30amps, by the way). The function it serves is to provide several fused connections with the ability to have all of them be switched via the CANBUS system.

So I had my mechanic install this distribution block, and he tapped into some taillight wire to make it a switched set of outlets rather than just go straight to the battery. I also had him wire the heated seats up to be switched. The idea there is whatever I had plugged in and forgotten about would not drain the battery.

The outlets themselves are Powerlet, and I wish I had a good picture posted. Hmm. Hang on, I took a bunch of pictures when the parts were installed, and I should be able to dig them up and post them on the web page with my bike pics: http://www.cjcphoto.net/k1300s/all.html

There isn't a lot of room to add anything to the K1300s. I had the outlets put into the fairing panels on each side of the gauges. I run a wire from one of them into the tank bag to power my radar detector and Sena SR10 bluetooth transmitter. (Bluetooth to my helmet so I can heard the detector go off with no wires going to my helmet. I'm using the BMW SRC-S intercom system in a C3 Pro).

I have the Motorsports edition, which has an Akropovic exhaust. No need to change it, though I have to say I would prefer it to be slightly quieter on long rides.

On the booster plug, I bought a product named Booster Plug, and I'm not sure if there are any differences from similar products. It plugs into an outlet already there under the gas tank, and I had my mechanic drill a hole into the right side air intake and put the sensor there, behind the air filter to keep it clean. Seemed the best overall place to insert the sensor into the air flow. It works quite well, richening the mixture to make the bike more driveable. The differences are more magnified the less throttle you give, and it's particularly effective at curing a bit of hesitation as you engage the clutch for turns in traffic and the like at a stop. I used to have issues stalling the bike as I would give some throttle and the anticipated response didn't happen, or didn't happen right away. It also cured a lot of that hesitation under full throttle at around 5000 rpm.

I'll post back when I get some pics up for you.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Sorry, also meant say that the K1300 looks absolutely great in that photo - can't quite see it clearly because there's something red in front of it ...

I updated the photos on my web site. I included some shots of the power outlet installation:

Here is the 'module' installed at top center. It's just a black box with wires coming out.

Here is what an outlet looks like in the fairing panel:

More pics at http://www.cjcphoto.net/k1300s/index.html
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Kaus,

Congrats on the K!!

For the lights, I've been able to replace both lo and hi-beams on my K1200RS with LED bulbs which can improve the lighting considerably with nothing more than changing the bulb. Surprisingly there was room for the cooling fan under the cover, too.

I say "CAN improve" because you have to research the bulbs. The RS requires H3 and H7 bulbs, but there are a bunch of different H3 and H7 LED's out there. I got the brightest (most lumens) I could find and the difference is amazing.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Getting up to speed

OK lasses and lads, a quick "G'dday!" again and a huge thank you to all for your welcome and your advice. All very gratefully received, pondered, digested, mulled, and used. Breaking news is that I no longer own two Ks - just sold the K100 RS yesterday. Bought it new in 1988 for AUD$12,600 with all its available options and sold it 29 years later for AUD$3,750. Very happy with the outcome really. Less significant news: the K1200 is now running 38/42 psi and she's much steadier handling-wise at the front. With all this I guess I can no longer claim my "new" status and will therefore move on to other threadly questions, and the exalted status of beginner K1200 owner.

Thanks again.

Bruce.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM
too afraid to post

A great resource for schematics and part numbers is realoem.com.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 AM

What a bike. I have never before kept a vehicle 10 years. I have a 2007 K12GT that is still a thrill. And I know a rider with a flying brick K100LT who scares the crap out of me.

It must be worse to sell BMW bikes than Hondas and Toyotas to have to compete with the used ones.

Congrats on the S.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Correction from #12, GrenK1300s said, "couple of comments about the injectors (RHS), the comment to look to replace them if they are black is quite true ."

What he meant to say was (fuel line) Connectors.

These are the good ones:
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html
Old 10-31-2017, 05:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Do you still need the riderís handbook? I ride a 1984 K100RS and a 2006(Au) K12 RS and have the handbooks scanned. The K12 GT and RS should be fairly similar.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DCharles' for this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCharles
Do you still need the riderís handbook? I ride a 1984 K100RS and a 2006(Au) K12 RS and have the handbooks scanned. The K12 GT and RS should be fairly similar.
I found a very good copy on craigslist months ago for not much $, but once I got it, I never looked at it. It's in the bike folder somewhere. But, I use a Clymers all the time.

Didn't someone scan it and post it somewhere??
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lowndes' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the offers, which are very generous, but not needed anymore. Bought a second-hand paper factory manual (sorry, very old fashioned, but I do love having something tangible beside me while practicing my Zen maintenance) from a great guy in the USA who was closing down his workshop; and got a Clymer version via the web for the bits that BMW forgot to write about. Hint for complete newbies: its a bit nerdy but I also went down to the Motorcade mob and ordered the original BMW Rider's Handbook and Maintenance Handbook - they're comparatively cheap, just little pocket-sized numbers, original, and come from Germany; I've found them quite helpful (for some things) over the decades; but they're useless for anything serious.