I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Getting up to speed

New k1200rs to me

Hello, I picked up a 98 k1200rs with 10870 miles on it a few months ago. I just dropped it off at my dealership to make sure there were no open recalls on it, and there were/are 4. One of them involved the ecu. I see nothing specific to the 98's, but I see stuff regarding the 04's... anyone know what this may be?

I also have them upgrading my brake lines to stainless braided lines and doing a 12k service (it had 1230 when I dropped it off).

Also, there is a bmw anti theft system on it, turn on and off with a barrel key under my luggage rack.. Anyone know if this has adjustable zones for proximity? It appears to not like how close I park my cars in front of my house..

here she is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rUu...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks...
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,931 Posts

Re: New k1200rs to me

Welcome to the site, that's a good clean looking bike. Glad you found us.

There were various ECU Units that BMW equipped the bike with over the years, but I do not recall reading of an early year recall, maybe '04 there was an issue. If the bike runs smoothly from initial start up, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Aside from the brake lines, if the bike still has its black plastic gas line "quick disconnects" those should be replaced, there may have been a recall on those, but if not, you can source them from here, www.beemerboneyard.com - they fit here,

Also, keep in mind if you find your battery getting weak, it should be replaced. The early models, through may '02 had an issue with the starter relay welding itself open if an effort was made to start the bile with a near dead batttery.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the info.. I haven't checked the quick disconnects.. Battery is still going strong. I haven't checked mfg year of it, but it doesnt crank for more than half a second before she's purring.

It's my first bmw.. and by far my most technilogically advanced bike... I had an 03 suzuki thumper, but that didnt have any fairings at all lol. Loving the bike, but still have a ton to learn about it.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Flying Brick noobs, take heed!

Please beware of the blue warning lights!

They will appear out of nowhere!

You should make the necessary investment in radar detection & BT helmet comms immediately!

It is impossible to follow traffic law on that bike.

You've been warned. ..
Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsig
Flying Brick noobs, take heed!

Please beware of the blue warning lights!

They will appear out of nowhere!

You should make the necessary investment in radar detection & BT helmet comms immediately!

It is impossible to follow traffic law on that bike.

You've been warned. ..

Lol.. I drive like an old man, but for 2500 I couldn't pass it up
Old 09-04-2018, 10:27 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,654 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350

Also, keep in mind if you find your battery getting weak, it should be replaced. The early models, through may '02 had an issue with the starter relay welding itself open if an effort was made to start the bile with a near dead batttery.
Wouldn't it weld itself closed and keep trying to crank the motor? I agree, it's a nice looking bike, especially for the money.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 09-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DUDE
Wouldn't it weld itself closed and keep trying to crank the motor? I agree, it's a nice looking bike, especially for the money.

It kinda fell in my lap...
Went to a suzuki/kawasaki/honda 'ship looking for something competent to end my 8 year riding drought. She was sitting there, they didnt usually take bmw trade ins, or bikes that old but the owner knew the guy. I was looking at a gladius 650? i think.. for 6k ish.. and yhe dealer asked if i wanted a bmw. I asked, expecting a price round bout what the gladius was new.. when he said 2500, i said you have my full attention. I went in that weekend to test drive, and the gladius was sold.. so i got the bmw. No regrets.

Is the powerlet on the side capable of using a battery tender without blowing fuses? its non canbus.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:00 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,654 Times in 705 Posts

Yeah, the battery tender plugs right in!

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 09-04-2018, 11:01 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,885 Times in 1,141 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythefwd

Is the powerlet on the side capable of using a battery tender without blowing fuses? its non canbus.

Yes, if it hasn’t been tampered with. Plug in the tender and if the light turns green after a bit, then it’s charging. If it continues to flash, then not.

No K1200rs has Canbus...came about after this model was cancelled.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Site Contributor

Nice bike! Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2018, 11:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Yes, if it hasn’t been tampered with. Plug in the tender and if the light turns green after a bit, then it’s charging. If it continues to flash, then not.

No K1200rs has Canbus...came about after this model was cancelled.

I thought canbus was introduced in 04.. where the rs was cancelled in 05 yes? It could be me misunderstanding what I have read though, and it wasn't introduced in the rs line of bikes.. but others like the k13?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:50 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
I thought canbus was introduced in 04.. where the rs was cancelled in 05 yes? It could be me misunderstanding what I have read though, and it wasn't introduced in the rs line of bikes.. but others like the k13?

04 was the last year for the mighty K1200RS/GT.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:42 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
04 was the last year for the mighty K1200RS.
Fixed.

The last year for the GT was 2005.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Fixed.

The last year for the GT was 2005.

Bleed overs, but still without canbus....

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Getting up to speed

So the starter retrofit kit.. seeing them online for ~230. This prevents it from triggering if the battery is low.. So is it just a long crank that causes the contacts in the relay to heat weld (not a proper weld.. but metal likes to kind of sinter together when it gets hot).. like when using reverse on the bigger bikes or cranking too long on my rs?

If that is the case, it should be relatively simple to design a chip to plug inline that would prevent that.. if voltage is under 10v.. lets make it 11.. dont pass the signal out pin 2.. I think it could be done with a basic stamp more cheaply than you could retrofit using BMW's solution, which basically stops it from trying to crank on low voltage.. am I reading that right?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,063 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
So the starter retrofit kit.. seeing them online for ~230. This prevents it from triggering if the battery is low.. So is it just a long crank that causes the contacts in the relay to heat weld (not a proper weld.. but metal likes to kind of sinter together when it gets hot).. like when using reverse on the bigger bikes or cranking too long on my rs?

If that is the case, it should be relatively simple to design a chip to plug inline that would prevent that.. if voltage is under 10v.. lets make it 11.. dont pass the signal out pin 2.. I think it could be done with a basic stamp more cheaply than you could retrofit using BMW's solution, which basically stops it from trying to crank on low voltage.. am I reading that right?

This is basically what they were trying to achieve with this new Relay. When you open this newer type (Blue Relay), what you see inside is the common component of a starter-relay, PLUS a small circuit board. Of course this has required to add pins compare to the old design (see attached diagram).

BMW has never published the low trigger voltage of the newer Blue starter-Relay, but over the years, given behavior some owners have seen with a low battery, my best guess is around 11.4 volts. Below this, pushing the starter button does nothing (not even a faint click). This is the voltage read AFTER you have turned ignition ON - not the same as with battery at rest.

By the way, this issue about the contacts of the starter-relay welding together on a weak battery start has plagued all "brick engine" models since the K100 came out in 1983. It took 17 years for BMW to admit there was a problem and make a real change (new design began to be installed on 2001 models in Europe and 2002 in USA).

P.S.: you might like to read this older thread to see photo of the inside of new Relay:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=49827
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200RS (2001-2005) Starter-Relay-with-sensing.JPG (222.0 KB, 12 views)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Not a sure thing the new relay.May not fuse but a low battery slow cranking is still possible.That may not fuse the relay but will shorten its life.

QDs?A 98 didn't come from the factory with such.OEM barbed connectors.

Alarm?BMW OEM with a barrel key to turn it on?Are you sure it is a BMW alarm?All the ones I have seen are turned on,programmed etc with the fob?I removed mine,them things are power hungry even when off.Internal batteries "charger" I'd guess but enough draw to drag the starter after 3 weeks parked/alarm off.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Not a sure thing the new relay.May not fuse but a low battery slow cranking is still possible.That may not fuse the relay but will shorten its life.

QDs?A 98 didn't come from the factory with such.OEM barbed connectors.

Alarm?BMW OEM with a barrel key to turn it on?Are you sure it is a BMW alarm?All the ones I have seen are turned on,programmed etc with the fob?I removed mine,them things are power hungry even when off.Internal batteries "charger" I'd guess but enough draw to drag the starter after 3 weeks parked/alarm off.

The unit says BMW on it, and a google search on the part number returns back with bmw antitheft system.

when I say turn off, the barrel key literally cuts power to it (without disabling the bike).. there may have been a fob for resetting it without cutting power to it, but I didn't receive it.. I've been searching the part number and the bmw antitheft system and not really finding anything useful.. like if all of them always came with a fob, and can you replace or add a fob if you dont have the original?

Shes 60 miles away at the dealership right now getting her 12k service, recall work done.. and I dont expect to be able to pick her up until ~15th.. I'll post up the part number to the brain box (control unit) and see if i have any luck here information wise when I get her back.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Looking at the parts diagram, I think this is it..
THEFT ALARM D, USA assembly for 1996-2000 BMW K1200RS 98-01

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html

Only thing I'm not seeing is #18 on the diagram, which has no part number on the accompanying list, and appears to be a remote and receiver?
Part #6 is the barrel key I'm talking about...

Anyone got any suggestions where I would go to find more information regarding this ?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 PM

There are a few versions of the BMW alarm.I have somewhere here the instructions manual listed on the parts fiche for my bike/model/year.Bummer.....$20.00 and not the right manual.Programming is with the fob and altough I could program some with that manual and some other BMW paperwork/instructions that I have I couldn't access all the functions.

Off doesn't mean not drawing electricity as I and others have found out.Good size battery pack inside that are kept charged.Maybe even more so now that they are 20yrs old.

Talk to the dealer about the fob?You need the BMW alarm code to program a new one and that may be hard to find after 20yrs.

And look in Max's parts fiche under manuals for your specific bike/model/year,alarm manual may be there?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Thats kind of what I figured.. I have no access to the code.. so she'll sit as she is.

That's the thing, I think the key actually disconnects power.. which is different than just disabling or turning off the alarm. I think this key is more like flipping the switch on your surge protector than shutting the tv off with the remote. When I get it back I'm going to have to pull out the multimeter and see if any of them show hot across the pins (should be 1 hot, 1 ground, and probably 1 hot through which is only hot when on.. assuming a 3 leg switch, it could be a two leg and then its either open or closed..
Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Put that meter on the mA setting.Connect between a disconnected battery cable and battery.Read the parasitic draw and if above the "normal" as posted in Clymer and probably the BMW shop manual draw then the alarm draws some juice even off like mine and that of others.

Funny I posted my specs a few years ago.They quickly pointed as to a bad battery or such without doublechecking the "spec".Still on the same and now 9 yrs old Odyssey battery.Never tended and passes the digital load testers "tests" with flying colors.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 AM
Twisted Wrister

Do you really "Need" the anti-theft? If not, remove it..if so, then seems it's gonna be a bit of "trouble"...probably could leave it & install a "plug" (either to the -/ground -or- the +/hot wire-or- both), with easy access to un-plug/disconnect it when no reason to have it active, and just plug it in when needed.?

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'SKYGZR' for this post:
Old 09-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Getting up to speed

I'm pretty sure that's what the barrel key does.. it's not a matter of need, it's a matter of knowing my bike
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 AM

The barrel key has the same function as the fob as per the manual.Turns the alarm off but only that.

Alarm programmed to come on at key off?You need the fob to get rid of that function.Or deactivate the motion sensor to trailer the bike?Same with the fob.

The immobilizer function was a concern of mine.Has happened on this very forum the "no start".And sort of happened to me when I had to hack a boat switch into the starter after a failed starter relay immobilized me in my yard.Then I couldn't even turn off the alarm with the fob.....pushed the bike in the shop and snipped the darn thing right off.And smashed it with the BFH.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Getting up to speed

And thats the thing I'm interested in.. IS the immobilizer function enabled. Yes, the alarm does come on when the barrel is on, but it doesnt seem to disable the bike with it sounding off (I'm able to start the bike during that time).

You got a link for the manual? I'd love to read through it.

Depending on what I see in the manual.. it wont be disabled.. it'll be removed. I just want to make sure I fully understand what is going on in there before I do so..
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Getting up to speed

Wow! Nice bike. Well done, on both the miles and the price. The K1200 RS/GT are indeed great bikes to ride. When you get it back, enjoy!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Getting up to speed

I have been so far.. I've put about 1200 miles one it so far.. and I'm hoping to do an iron butt on it next year for giggles. I wonder if you can get an IBA certification for being on the pillion? It would be hilarious to me for my 7 year old to get one lol...

Kaus - it was nicer when I got it. Went in to lunch with it on the side stand.. returned from lunch and it was on its center stand, scrapes (small but there) in the left fairing, on the very corner of the valve cover, left mirror, my baskets on my left turn signal were destroyed (magnet fix'd), and my left bag has some scratches where I didnt get it properly attached and it dove down the highway at 75 mph. The suv said they think it hit the bag while it was sliding along. it got scratched up.. little sanding got rid of most of it, but now color is off and the badges are defaced.. I'm less worried about that though. I may take some time this winter to pull the plastic, sand it down, and re-paint it all.. but probably wont.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
And thats the thing I'm interested in.. IS the immobilizer function enabled. Yes, the alarm does come on when the barrel is on, but it doesnt seem to disable the bike with it sounding off (I'm able to start the bike during that time).

You got a link for the manual? I'd love to read through it.

Depending on what I see in the manual.. it wont be disabled.. it'll be removed. I just want to make sure I fully understand what is going on in there before I do so..

I have a manual.....not sure if the right one as it wasn't for my bike.And a file somewhere on a different version of the alarm.Similar but not the same but mind you enough info between them to program some functions and understand that they always draw some current even off.That spec in mA is in the alarm manual.

Time to pack and hit the road today.Will be back in a week/3Ks and then I'll look at the paperwork.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Getting up to speed

Enjoy, keep er shiney side up.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Arrrrg, side-stand quarks.

General rule is to keep it on the center stand, else on side stand oil runs past the rings and will cause smoke on startup (great for group rides).

Using the side stand while unattended, keep it in gear to avoid rolling (which causes side stand to retract). Some riders lower the side stand while running and in gear, which automatically shuts-off the engine.
See the "Marrakesh Express (Note: Pictures now at bottom of thread):" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53497

'74 R90/6 -> '76 R90S -> '85 K100RT -> '98 K1200RS
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Getting up to speed

All good advice from AJ on the Marrakesh Red. Having learnt the hard way, keep the Bricks as level across the frame as possible to avoid the oil running past the rings and smoking up on ignition; and I definitely put the K1200 into gear if its on the side stand (to stop it moving "downhill"). There's a lot of weight in these bikes!

As a small aside, I will admit to pulling into a park outside the travel agent, putting my old K100 RS on the side stand, and heading inside to pick up tickets. About 10 minutes in I heard an ominous crash, with an accompanying tingle of glass and plastic. Hmm. By the time I got outside, my bike was having a little sleep and I - wrongly, it turns out - presumed I hadn't put it into first gear before heading in. Promptly got out the mental birch whip and began metaphoric flagellation while practicing my simultaneous bench pressing, gear selecting, front brake applying contortion act, all in front of a slowly growing audience. The shop keeper at the place next door must have sensed the mental anguish and came out. She handed me a note with a description of the offending SUV, its driver, and their rego'. Apparently they pulled in in front of me, then backed over the bike because the couldn't see it out the back window! The Po' actually followed up and did them for leaving the scene of an accident, which my insurance mob also followed up on with their own particular and quite expensive love note.

Mental notes to self: if its on the side stand, put her into gear and do a double check before getting off; and learn the correct lifting technique for these bikes, before you need to lift one up off the deck - its actually pretty easy (put her into gear, face away from the bike, and lift with the bike behind you).
Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

When traveling, I tend to carry a metal electrical junction box cover in my tank bag for use under the side stand. Especially if I am heavily loaded and parking on asphalt. New asphalt is really scary...way too soft to support these bikes. There are many 'big-foot' attachments sold to add surface area to the side stand. Even with the plate, I only use it temporarily until I can get it up on the centerstand….

Keep your bike in good condition and it will last and run forever. I have over 140,000 miles on mine. And many scratches that I just finally said 'too bad' about. Maybe someday when I have time in our new retirement I will repaint. But mine runs like a champ, handles great and is really fast and comfortable.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 09-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Getting up to speed

I dont think it was a failure of the side stand in this case.. There were no scuff marks or impressions in the asphalt on the lot. I think it got bumped when the person next to me pulled out. I also dont think it was rolling forward off the stand as I had backed into the spot so that if it did roll due to gravity it would roll backwards.

Kauss - thats some uh.. interesting design failures there..
Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 PM

+140000 miles of mine.Bike is now at 162Ks.Retirement....

Never typically smoked when left on sidestand.Mind you one has to remember the stop procedure.Lean bike to the right slightly for a few seconds,that clears most of the oil out of the cylinders.Then put on sidestand.Start next morning?No smoke but for normal water vapors.

Dainty sidestand foot.Took care of that so many years ago.Now I can park it almost anywhere.

BTW.....drippy fuel injectors?That can happen at just about any milleage.Will smoke on start up if they drip gas in the cylinders.

Smoke?Someone here left his K on sidestand for a couple years....broken centerstand if I recall?Started right up but filled his garage with smoke.I was there...... That was 2015?Back on sidestand/no start ever since?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
+140000 miles of mine.Bike is now at 162Ks.Retirement....

Never typically smoked when left on sidestand.Mind you one has to remember the stop procedure.Lean bike to the right slightly for a few seconds,that clears most of the oil out of the cylinders.Then put on sidestand.Start next morning?No smoke but for normal water vapors.

Dainty sidestand foot.Took care of that so many years ago.Now I can park it almost anywhere.

BTW.....drippy fuel injectors?That can happen at just about any milleage.Will smoke on start up if they drip gas in the cylinders.

Smoke?Someone here left his K on sidestand for a couple years....broken centerstand if I recall?Started right up but filled his garage with smoke.I was there...... That was 2015?Back on sidestand/no start ever since?

Dainty foot.. what'd you do to correct it?

Drippy injectors.. thats a recipe for a new piston head..

Got a call from the shop, shes almost done. All the recalls they thought it needed had already been done. Brake lines should be in today and done. Tech said battery is a showing its age and should be replaced.. Recommendations? I used to use yuasa on my honda.. so I'd probably look at them again. Wet cell or gel-cell or agm? Pro/Con of each?
Old 09-15-2018, 06:07 PM

You want an Odyssey PC-680 battery. AGM

Best bang for your buck.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:12 PM

And snag that Sargeant seat that is for sale on the forums. That's a great deal and a great seat.

And yes, your pillion will get a certificate if you do an SS1000. Cost ya extra though, I think.
I'd be very careful about that. 7 yr. old would likely to nod off / fall asleep at some point. It's awfully boring back there, sans the scenery.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Dave - I think we'd work up to it.. she's not ready for that type of riding yet.. I think our longest trip was a couple 10 miles so far with her.. As to the falling asleep thing.. I've done that, literally. My dad and I were riding an old honda enduro .. think it was a 350?? from Peoria, IL to Indianiapolis. I fell asleep somewhere around bloomington and took a 30 minute nap.. He says I never loosened my grip and it happened frequently enough over the years he got used to it lol.

What size battery is that pc-680? I'm looking those and a few others up to see what is out there.

I'll pass on the seat lol.. I've done 5 hours on it already (consecutive) and was quite comfortable.. That even included some pretty good rained on moments so I had that nice wet denim thing going on..
Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Getting up to speed

PC680MJ on order.. that should be here in a week or so.

Got bike back from dealership.. and it feels like a completely different bike. Stainless brake lines dont feel any different than the stock ones, but at least I know the lines are good now.
Does the clutch and the Brake take the same fluid? If so, why dont I see stainless clutch lines out there, or am I just missing em?

The road 5's handled a solid rain today while out riding.. NEVER felt even remotely slippery.. felt like I was on dry ground.

Anyone in the VA area use mortons rewards program? I got 75 dollars worth of certificates, but I cant find them anywhere on the site and the link in the email just takes me to the login screen (which makes it quite difficult to actually use them). I see NO contact for the admins or webmaster.. so do I contact mortons to fix this? Thinking of using the certificates towards the bmw advanced charger III if they'll let me and can find out where they are.. I realize its just a battery tender that costs half the price before the powerlet connector, which is only about 15 dollars.. but with the certificates from points, the whole setup should run me 15 dollars so worth the tank of gas to get there...

Shifting feels smoother after the 12k service.. engine seems quieter. I dont know if the tech adjusted my rear suspension or not, but it just felt right..
Old 09-16-2018, 10:48 PM

I've heard great things about Morton's from friends with bikes up here in Canada. Can't speak of their website or rewards programs though.

You should have an SS clutch line as well if it's the Speigler kit. I mean, hey, old rubber hoses are old rubber hoses, so get that replaced too.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO
I've heard great things about Morton's from friends with bikes up here in Canada. Can't speak of their website or rewards programs though.

You should have an SS clutch line as well if it's the Speigler kit. I mean, hey, old rubber hoses are old rubber hoses, so get that replaced too.

I dont know which kit it was/is. I do know its stainless.. that's it. Still old rubber for the clutch cable.. so I'll be checking out spiegler about their clutch hoses. That should extremely easy to do myself.. If it weren't for the abs.. I'd not shy from doing the brake lines myself either.

I have reached out to mortons, I expect to get an answer Tuesday. Those guys know their stuff.. but who knows who is doing their web page.

I think I'm all set for the winter though.. or will be once I get the battery tender and convince my neighbor to let me take up a few cubic feet of his garage for a few months lol.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Getting up to speed

HA.. I'm an idiot.. found the link.. It doesnt say show certificate or view certificate.. it says reissue.. sweet. I'll just print those out. I suspect they'll not have too much issue taking them.. we'll see. The battery charger and cable really is worth about 65-70 if I go with the Battery Tender branded one vs. the BMW labeled one.. so as long as they honor the certificates for this, I'm getting it for a song.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 AM
Twisted Wrister

Be advised that there is special voltage requirements for charging/maintaining a sealed AGM type battery like the PC680MJ (MJ means it will have the metal jacket), thusly being a bit larger on the outside dimensions. I had one in the RS. and did eventually have to run it in the GT for awhile, & it fit OK (had to "modify" the box/holder on the RS.)

Look into the Norco Genius line (as well as some others), that do have the specifics to do AGM batteries.

Also, doing the clutch line to stainless, is going to be harder than you anticipate...(I do believe ya gotta pull parts all the way to the clutch to get to the fitting.)

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 AM
Getting up to speed

That's what I expect for the clutch hose.

The BMW is designed for agm as well, unless this is totally wrong
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...02365297-p-762
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Getting up to speed

the battery charger, under 19 shipped.. score! Thats one heck of a discount. guess those rewards points help take the sting out of it a little lol.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,931 Posts

Quote:
Does the clutch and the Brake take the same fluid? If so, why dont I see stainless clutch lines out there, or am I just missing em?

Dot 4 Brake Fluid for the brake and clutch systems on the brick motor k-bikes. I've not found a ready made SS clutch line, and the Spiegler kit does not include a clutch line. Consider that the clutch line is under a great deal less pressure than are the brake lines, which have the added input of the servo system. So while I've heard of rubber brake lines bursting, cracking, and developing pinhole leaks, I've yet to hear about the clutch line failing.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Dot 4 Brake Fluid for the brake and clutch systems on the brick motor k-bikes. I've not found a ready made SS clutch line, and the Spiegler kit does not include a clutch line. Consider that the clutch line is under a great deal less pressure than are the brake lines, which have the added input of the servo system. So while I've heard of rubber brake lines bursting, cracking, and developing pinhole leaks, I've yet to hear about the clutch line failing.

I've seen it on the 1150GS: a very similar setup, but there is a covering on the curved pipe next to the slave that traps moisture and it rusts through. I don't think that is an issue on the K. I'm sure Spiegler is happy to make one up for you if you see it as compromised.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bruincounselor' for this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Quote:

Brake fluid in the clutch line? I thought it was mineral oil....

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,063 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Brake fluid in the clutch line? I thought it was mineral oil....

NO !!! do not put mineral oil in a Clutch or Brake system for "brick-engine" K1200RS/GT or K1200LT (or any k100, k75...)

The original question was about a K1200RS (1998) and Craig (CJS350) reply was correct.

BMW began using Mineral oil in Clutch system ONLY with the Slant-4 engines (K1200S, K1200R, K1200GT, K1300S, K1300GT) and also in Boxers models when they introduced the R1200 series (2005 for USA). Any earlier Boxer-engine (R100xx, R1150xx) has DOT4 in clutch line or a cable to actuate the clutch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
NO !!! do not put mineral oil in a Clutch or Brake system for "brick-engine" K1200RS/GT or K1200LT (or any k100, k75...)

The original question was about a K1200RS (1998) and Craig (CJS350) reply was correct.

BMW began using Mineral oil in Clutch system ONLY with the Slant-4 engines (K1200S, K1200R, K1200GT, K1300S, K1300GT) and also in Boxers models when they introduced the R1200 series (2005 for USA). Any earlier Boxer-engine (R100xx, R1150xx) has DOT4 in clutch line or a cable to actuate the clutch.

Thats the first I'd ever heard of mineral oil.. I jsut assumed it was dot4

anyone ever use the spare battery tender leads as a makeshift jumper cable? So jump through powerlet using allegator clips from the same charger (reverse the colors for jumping.. as flipping the sae connector will swap the polarity, hook up normal for charging directly to terminal)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:03 PM

Using a 16ga cable to jump?No way.

I made such a cable and permanently attached to my bike.10ga and with the appropriate 10ga SAE connectors.Fused at 30A.I could charge my battery from a running vehicle,car or bike,or charge someone's battery from my running bike but no way I'd hit the starter button with the jumpers attached.

And your "tender" is just that.Not a charger,Odyssey requires specific chargers that will charge at over 6Amps.Using less amps will damage an Odyssey.Should be in the battery owner's manual.If not in the owner's manual the "Odyssey technical manual" is also posted online on their website.

A tender for an Odyssey also has to tend at a specific "float" voltage.Also in the manual.Easy to check with a Voltmeter the "if" your tender is up to Odyssey's specs.My $20.00 one was up to specs altough I never tended my battery I used it occasionally to top it up.Still going strong my 9 years old PC680 battery.Passes all the load tests with either the Odyssey branded load tester or my digital HF load tester.

And.....fully charges on the bike with the BMW alternator.Voltage at the battery checked a day after the ride to let surface charge dissipate shows 100% SOC as per Odyssey's spec.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Getting up to speed

That was the intent.. direct battery to battery connection and let it sit for 10 minutes while the other bike or car charges up my battery.. Not having them directly power the starter over the cable..

Actually, the manual doesnt say a thing about the float charge voltage. It says

"To get long life from the ODYSSEY® battery, it is important that the battery is kept
near full charge, approximately 12.8V. If there are electrical loads during storage,
then the negative battery cable should be disconnected or an independent float
charger used. Low power 2.0 amp chargers for storage charge will keep a fully
charged battery fully charged but cannot recharge if the ODYSSEY battery becomes
discharged."

That says what the battery needs to be at, not what the charger needs to be running at. It also says that it's for keeping a battery topped off.. Which is the intent of my charger, not to charge a dead battery. That requires a LOT more amperage. Yes, I was aware that my tender was a tender and not a charger.. I called it a charger because that is what it is called on the packaging.. Just like how I'd probably refer to a battery charger made by battery tender as a tender..

So it sounds like my cable "jumper" idea is more fit to be called a parasitic charging cable for direct connection to other 12v charging systems to charge a weakened battery for one time starting after several minutes of charging...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:48 PM

If your tender puts out 13.8V float voltage you'll be fine I think but I haven't read the manual for a while.I bought my battery at a shop and the knowledgeable old guy tried to sell me an Odyssey charger.I went back to my car and brought my 2A "tender/charger" in and showed him.Measure the float voltage he said and I found mine in specs.

But a couple years ago I bought a proper charger.On the approved by Odyssey list and at 8A does all my other batteries.A little bit of a pain as it can take up to 24hrs for that charger to top up the Odyssey depending on the chosen modes....conditioning/equalizing but worth it.

I think they changed the owner's manual a little a couple years ago?More owner's friendly nowadays?Less friendly is the "Technical manual" but the specs are there.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
If your tender puts out 13.8V float voltage you'll be fine I think but I haven't read the manual for a while.I bought my battery at a shop and the knowledgeable old guy tried to sell me an Odyssey charger.I went back to my car and brought my 2A "tender/charger" in and showed him.Measure the float voltage he said and I found mine in specs.

But a couple years ago I bought a proper charger.On the approved by Odyssey list and at 8A does all my other batteries.A little bit of a pain as it can take up to 24hrs for that charger to top up the Odyssey depending on the chosen modes....conditioning/equalizing but worth it.

I think they changed the owner's manual a little a couple years ago?More owner's friendly nowadays?Less friendly is the "Technical manual" but the specs are there.

That was copied and pasted out of their technical manual online. They go into charging later for batteries that are deeply discharged but the tender I bought was never intended to do anything but float over winter for the bike..
Old 09-21-2018, 10:13 AM

For the float voltage, 13.6V is ideal as per Odyssey.

My approved by Odyssey tender/charger has 3 settings for battery type.

Float Voltages are:

Gel:13.4V
AGM/Wet cell:13.5V
Pure lead:13.6V

Pure lead are Odysseys.Same charger but older model used to say Odyssey not pure lead.But now that there are other manufacturers offering pure lead batteries they changed the markings.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Getting up to speed

CJS - you mention the black quick disconnects.. Every place I see mentions them and shows them being black.. the ones on my bike are white.. not metal like the beemerboneyard sells, but a white polymer..

I assume these have been replaced then from factory.
Anyone know about these? They appear to be the same design, just white..

Pbegin - I'll check the float volatage once I find out what the kids have done with my negative test lead for the multimeter.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 PM

Check the brand name that should be stamped on the QDs.I'd bet they are CPC brand in white.Info as to plastic composition/usage for different types of fluids should be on their website.

Your bike didn't come from the factory with QDs.98 had barbed connectors NOT QDs.Someone must have modded it.

Post 98s came with black plastic CPC brand QDs from the factory.We replace them with CPC brand "plated brass" QDs for durability.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

I am curious as to when and for which markets BMW began installing the QDs on these bikes. Mine was manufactured in 9/99 as a 2000 model for the US. It came with barbed connectors, no QDs.

After working on the bike and desiring to totally remove the tank, I got a set of plastic QDs at the first National held in Bend, Oregon. They blew out a couple years later as I was riding down the freeway.....narrowly avoided a flaming end. A driver next to me at a stop light told me I was overheating evidenced by the steam coming out of the side of the bike...… Fortunately I was right by a church parking lot with trees as it was 110 degrees, and there was an autoparts store on the opposite corner. Took me an hour to do the job, and a week for the gas vapors to leave my 'Stitch and boot, but the CHP officer who stopped to see if all was okay was impressed by BMW riders' can do attitude and abilities to fix their bikes on the road. Ran the barbed poly connectors I picked up until I could get the metal QDs from BBY. Still going strong and safe.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold