I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR"Technical Q & A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman
Installed Akrapovic Exhaust Now Have Error Code

Installed an Akrapovic full system. Since the exhaust flap valve was removed and the exhaust flap servo motor was kept. I get a 21FA21 exhaust servo motor adjustment error code in the ecm when doing a full system scan with a GS911. It does not turn on the check engine light (I have not taken it on a long ride yet). Is this normal?

I sent an Email to Akrapovic help desk and this is the reply I got.....

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. No codes should come up if the system was properly installed. You must follow our installation manual EXACTLY to avoid any errors. If you are having an issue, please reach out to your local BMW dealer for additional support.

It seems to my there would be no way it would not set an error code. Servo motor moving but nothing is happening.

I sent them an email back....

With the removal of the exhaust valve the servo has nothing to operated any more. No more exhaust flap valve, no limit on the cables when the valve stop when fully open and closed. I referred to the shop manual and there is an adjustment for the valve.That is why the cable are adjustable. Called the selling BMW dealer and they stated that with the valve removed the servo motor has no stops and it will set a code. The code it is setting is 21FA21 "Exhaust Flap Servo Motor Adjustment Error" That would make sense since there is no adjustment. It does not turn the check engine light on in the instrument cluster. I followed the instruction, including the part of removing the servo motor cables and reinstalling it. Have you done a complete scan of the bikes that had this system installed?
At this point the only solution is to install an electronic device such as a Servo Buddy that will fool the system that there is still a exhaust flap in the exhaust system. But that is another $59.00. That should've been included in the exhaust kit. Or a warning that this issue can occur. Here's a link that explain how removing the exhaust flapper valve on a BMW motorcycle will set code 21FA21. http://www.skutr.net/bmw-exhaust-servo-motors/

So any help with the extra $59 I will have to spend on a Servo Buddy kit?

Anyone run into this issue when removing the exhaust flap valve?

Thanks.
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Gone sailing...

Re: Installed Akrapovic Exhaust Now Have Error Code

Only reason you would care is if the code put the bike into "limp" or "safe" mode by changing fueling or ignition? Right? If the code doesn't trigger a CEL or change performance, I wouldn't pay $59 to fix it...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Site Contributor

I don't know what it will effect. Probably nothing. But I would like to have it right. That's just me.
Thanks for the reply.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Gone sailing...

Didn't mean it if I sounded snarky. What I meant is, it is right. Your flapper valve is out of adjustment, as far as the ecu is concerned. That's just information, not a problem. If it doesn't cause a performance change, all's good. Anything you do to hide the code does only that...
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Didn't mean it if I sounded snarky. What I meant is, it is right. Your flapper valve is out of adjustment, as far as the ecu is concerned. That's just information, not a problem. If it doesn't cause a performance change, all's good. Anything you do to hide the code does only that...

No you did not sound snarky You are probably correct. Thanks for your input.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

How about un plugging the servo motor? And, sorry to say, aftermarket non OEM... most always a problem. As you noted there is a servo buddy thing to take care of it.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

I'd say, the only way the bike knows that something has happened (fault code) is the servo motor is going into over-reach,...thinks it has a broken Bowden cable.

You may have too adapt, improvise something onto the end of the cable, so the stroke of servo is limited, then tuck the cable under the seat, or behind a side panel with zip-ties.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furman
Installed an Akrapovic full system. Since the exhaust flap valve was removed and the exhaust flap servo motor was kept. I get a 21FA21 exhaust servo motor adjustment error code in the ecm when doing a full system scan with a GS911. It does not turn on the check engine light (I have not taken it on a long ride yet). Is this normal?

I sent an Email to Akrapovic help desk and this is the reply I got.....

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. No codes should come up if the system was properly installed. You must follow our installation manual EXACTLY to avoid any errors. If you are having an issue, please reach out to your local BMW dealer for additional support.

It seems to my there would be no way it would not set an error code. Servo motor moving but nothing is happening.

I sent them an email back....

With the removal of the exhaust valve the servo has nothing to operated any more. No more exhaust flap valve, no limit on the cables when the valve stop when fully open and closed. I referred to the shop manual and there is an adjustment for the valve.That is why the cable are adjustable. Called the selling BMW dealer and they stated that with the valve removed the servo motor has no stops and it will set a code. The code it is setting is 21FA21 "Exhaust Flap Servo Motor Adjustment Error" That would make sense since there is no adjustment. It does not turn the check engine light on in the instrument cluster. I followed the instruction, including the part of removing the servo motor cables and reinstalling it. Have you done a complete scan of the bikes that had this system installed?
At this point the only solution is to install an electronic device such as a Servo Buddy that will fool the system that there is still a exhaust flap in the exhaust system. But that is another $59.00. That should've been included in the exhaust kit. Or a warning that this issue can occur. Here's a link that explain how removing the exhaust flapper valve on a BMW motorcycle will set code 21FA21. http://www.skutr.net/bmw-exhaust-servo-motors/

So any help with the extra $59 I will have to spend on a Servo Buddy kit?

Anyone run into this issue when removing the exhaust flap valve?

Thanks.

I have a FULL Ti system on my 2016 R1200RS . We remove the complete factory system and installed a complete Akrapovic system , with out any codes coming up , c the system has been on 10, 000 miles
11 CBR250R BLACK
16 R1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member 22983
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'woolf' for this post:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

I've installed a new slip-on to my K1300R and just for giggles removed the exhaust flapper cable from the servo motor. So far nothing has showed up on the dash to indicate an issue, but I don't have a scan tool to check for codes. Might get a mate with a scan tool to check one day.

From what I understand, the servo motor holds the exhaust flapper shut. So wouldn't the "travel" for want of a better word of the servo motor be preset. Surely the motor wouldn't be relying on cable tension to tell it when to stop. Wouldn't that put too much stress on the motor, the cable and the flapper.

So by my theory the computer wouldn't know that the cable has been removed from the servo motor.

Just my opinion

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R
Old 12-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor350

From what I understand, the servo motor holds the exhaust flapper shut. So wouldn't the "travel" for want of a better word of the servo motor be preset.

I'd say, wrong, key off, flap is shut, turn key on, servo fires up, pulls flap into full open, then closes. Return spring is on the outside of flap.

I see no advantage of disconnecting the flap in your situation, & in actual fact, the flap is probably only opening, when exhaust gasses reach excess pressure.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM
Site Contributor

The exhaust flap on the XR has a spring that keeps the flap in the center when the key is off. When the key is first turn on it goes through a function test by going full open to full close. That is when the code 21FA21 is set. When the valve is in the close position it routes the exhaust through a smaller tube to the muffler.

Fixed....Just installed a servo buddy. http://www.skutr.net/servo-eliminators/
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I'd say, wrong, key off, flap is shut, turn key on, servo fires up, pulls flap into full open, then closes. Return spring is on the outside of flap.

I see no advantage of disconnecting the flap in your situation, & in actual fact, the flap is probably only opening, when exhaust gasses reach excess pressure.

I'm going to remove the muffler, re-install the cable to the servo motor so I can see what happens at start up, and then with increased revs.

Then remove the cable again and see what happens.

I'll let you know

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Site Contributor

Did a 45 min ride yesterday. No check engine light, no codes in the ECU after installing the servo buddy. I am using the stock muffler with the Akrapovic header. Louder than it was before with the stock pipes and cats. Power seems more linear maybe a little more power 6000 rpm and up.

Akrapovic seems to think I should do an ECU remap which I do not want to to due to any warranty issues. Also the issue with the 21FA21 exhaust code that Akrapovic is still working on. trying to get them to give me back some type of refund for the servo buddy.

Do I need to do a remap? The oyx. sensor should be able to read the difference and the ECU should be able to make the changes to a point.

Here are a few emails I had with Akrapovic.....

Hello Furman,

I have sent all the info to our R&D team to get their feedback. It could also be that there is a difference between the US and Euro model. This happens sometimes and our team is not aware. If this is the case, it would explain why we did not encounter this issues during a year of development.

Keep you posted.

Nicole

Hello Furman,

R&D s checking with the mechanics and will be getting back to me. They did ask if you followed the recommendation on our website to do the remapping with powercomander as we recommend.

See below link:

http://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcyc...23&yearId=4015

We specifically state: "For perfect performance, throttle response and durability special developed mapping from our partner Dynojet has to be used. Please visit http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander.

Your dealer should be aware of this. Although 99% of our systems do not require additional mapping, this is one of the systems that lies within the 1%.

Best,

Nicole Allen, MBA
Motorcycle Division Team

If I did more research and found out all this information first I might not of changed the system. But I hated that big cat thing under the bike creating allot of heat and taking away ground clearance.

Live (ride) and learn.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Shooting the gap

do you have a power commander installed, as it seems from the reply your getting they are saying to use the map that power commander specifies,,,,I don't think they are saying to reflash the stock ECU that the bike comes with...
Old 12-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Site Contributor

No I did not install the power comander. This is the last Email I got from Akrapovic.

"R&D s checking with the mechanics and will be getting back to me. They did ask if you followed the recommendation on our website to do the remapping with powercomander as we recommend."

I email them back asking if they had found a fix. No response. Emailed two more times.
Got this one back today.

Hello Furman,

I have received your response 3x now. Thank you for the info. Glad you got it figured out.

Best,

Nicole

Well thanks allot I fixed it and now I'm out $59.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Shooting the gap

So u fixed it by installing a 59 dollar servo buddy, but Akrapovic suggested installing a power commander which is like 3-4 hundred bucks and using the mapping they have created....

Seems you got lucky, u got your issue resolved for 59 bucks

I don't see a problem, unless I am missing something
Old 12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Site Contributor

Why does Akrapovic just stated that up front thet by eliminating the exhaust valve that it will set a code? Or included a servo buddy with the exhaust kit? The last email states take to the dealer.

In this case, that is correct, I cannot recommend the powercommander, because its an OEM product. Basically, the issue should be handled by BMW service, because its a product that is sold within BMWs sales network, which was approved by BMW R&D in their HQ and therefore they are responsible to handle the issue for the customer. They should provide an error free performance, but if its the same as our AFT exhaust, I dont know how they handle the performance instead of our recommended power commander.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Site Contributor

The 2016 XR is a little bite different then the 2015. That's why Akrapovic states there is no issue when removing the exhaust flapper valve. They never did a test on a 2016. Got some riding time in this weekend. It seems a little more lively in the upper rpm range but I did feel a flat spot when accelerating hard from 3000 up. That's where the power commander might help

It is loud. Louder then I want and when it's in dynamic mode a lot of backfiring under deceleration . I am using the stock muffler not the Akrapovic slip on. I guess the cat converter help with the sound and backfiring which it did have before with the stock system but not as much. I think a DB killer would help by adding a little back pressure. But I can't find any that will fit the stock muffler. Thinking about getting one that is close and then modifying it to fit

The gain I got, the price, the issue with it setting a code and now the loud sound and back firing. I don't think I would have installed the header if I known.

The slip on from Akrapovic is over a $1000 and I don't know if it will be any different then the stock muffler.
05 F650GS (Sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River