I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Technical Q&A K1200GT-'NG'- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Sloppy Shifter Fix

Ok, first let me say I am new at this posting and picture thing so be patient.

What most of us 2005 to 2008 K1200GT,R, and S owners know is the shifting of the gears seems to be a little sloppy. We deal with the clunking and missed shifts, all the while, wishing we could solve this problem without having to buy 2009 model. Well, recently I was at my favorite BMW shop and was looking at a 2009 GT and S. I was poking and pulling on various parts to see what was different from my 2007 GT. I was most curious about the recent claim by BMW that they had “fixed” the sloppy shifting issue. So, I took a real close look at the shifter and noticed it was far more precise in the movement than my 07. Closer inspection reveals the shifter appears to pivot on a bearing and not the plastic bushings that mine does. As you are most aware, our K1200s have a linkage and not a direct connection to the transmission. Therefore, any play in the linkage will be greatly increased the sloppy shifting.

Well armed with this new knowledge, I pulled my shifter off, pushed out the plastic bushings and measured the bore. 14mm exactly. The bolt measures 7.5mm. I surfed around and found a bearing supplier in So Cal called “VXB Ball Bearings” and found sealed 8x14mm bearings. 10 for $19! I replaced the OEM plastic bushing with a stack of 4 bearings and the mod transformed the shifting into a smooth and precise action. I was so impressed I shared this with my K1200S buddy and he was skeptical until he rode my GT around. We then changed out his K1200S shifter too!

Follow along,

Here are the tools you need:

On the S and GT, remove the single fairing bolt (T2) located behind the shifter to allow the fairing to flex down enough to get the Torx driver on the shifter bolt (T40):

Remove the shifter bolt:

Once free, remove the linkage (10mm):

Wipe the shifter down with a rag and remove the bushings. Mine fell out but my buddy’s S required a small screw driver as a punch to push them out:

Clean out the bore with brake cleaner, MEK, or acetone. I lightly scuffed the bore with emery cloth to aid with loctite adhesion. I used Loctite brand, bearing and stud locker (green), but high strength thread locker (red) will work as well. There are very little side to side forces so this will do.

Here are the bearings I bought from VXB:

Check out their site, oh yeah, super fast delivery too!

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7239

You will need to take 2 #8 (I think) stainless washers and bore them out with a 5/16” drill bit. They will rest on both sides of the bearings. They have a smaller OD than the OEM washer and act to allow the free rotation of the bearing. Leave the OEM washer on the bolt.

Ok, now place the shifter in a vice, gently, so the bore is horizontal. Take the OEM shifter bolt with OEM washer, add one #8 washer and four bearings then a #8 washer. Now, lightly coat the bore and outer bearings with loctite. Very little. Slide the bearings into the bore as if you were bolting the shifter back on until the inner most bearing is at the edge of the inner bore of the shifter (side that points to the transmission). I put a nut on the bolt and finger tightened it once I had the bearings in the bore to hold the bearing pack together. Now, to speed up the setting process I uniformly heated the shifter bore area with heat gun to 180 degrees in two heat cycles. Loctite sets in one hour and fully cures in 24 hours. Since I was not in a hurry, I left it in the vice over night for my GT and two hours for my Buddy’s S. He was impatient!

This is too far:

Perfect:

After the bearings are set, simply reinstall the shifter. Torque the shifter to the OEM spec of 19nm. Now on the S we needed to have two #8 washers on the bolt between the shifter and the bracket to ensure the shifter did not rub against the bracket. You will need to adjust it for own application. On my GT only needed one.

Total cost plus CA tax and S&H was, $30 for the bearings (10pk). Another $10 for the new tube of loctite. That’s $20 per bike. Not bad.

As I stated before, please feel free to PM me for details if I did not do this well enough. Also, I live in Cen Cal and would be willing to do the mod for you. (Bring beer money!)

Vince
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'ccii42104' for this post:
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: Sloppy Shifter Fix

Looks great, and great work!!!!! I may have a new project
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Getting up to speed

Thumbs up Re: Sloppy Shifter Fix

Nice post, looks like a winter project now that the sun is out up here. Pictures were excellent. Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccii42104
Loctite sets in one hour and fully cures in 24 hours.
Actually, this depends greatly on what loctite you are using, and the metals it is used with. Typically, it cures much faster.

As an interesting point, being an "anerobic" cure product, Loctite requires the absence of oxygen, and the presence of an "active" metal surface to cure. This is why the stuff lasts forever in the bottle (which is plastic and has air inside), and why iot will not cure on surfaces exposed to air. Curing with, for example, stainless steel bolts takes longer than if bolts (or other metal surface) was made of steel or brass.

Useless fact of the day.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Hell YES a Site Contributor!

Send a message via Skype™ to BMWBuddha

I LIKE this project! I just ordered the Kit7239 so BillG will have ANOTHER job to do on MY bike! Nice write up...and welcome aboard!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
K-ruising the Hudson Valley

That was a treatise! can you give a weekly lesson of that caliber? Well done, thanks.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Vince,

Do you have a part number for the bearings?

Thanks,

Forrest

Huey2

2007 R1200GS + K1200R Sport + Aprilla SportCity
Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

Welcome aboard!! This post is going directly to Sticky threads for now!

Nice work bud.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey2
Vince,

Do you have a part number for the bearings?

Thanks,

Forrest

Well there are no #s on the bearings. I looked real hard and can't see anything on them like you would on a larger bearing. The VXB part number is Kit7239. Here is the link:

$19 is hard to beat.

Super fast shipping too!

Vince
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Vince,

I reread your post and found the link. I ordered the bearing kit from them.

Many thanks for a most excellent improvement tip.

Forrest

Huey2

2007 R1200GS + K1200R Sport + Aprilla SportCity
Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Shooting the gap

FYI...

Got these washers to avoid drilling out the stuff from the Do-it Center...

http://www.bikeman.com/BO1261.html?...aign=GoogleBase
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel
FYI...

Got these washers to avoid drilling out the stuff from the Do-it Center...

http://www.bikeman.com/BO1261.html?...aign=GoogleBase

PERFECT!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Getting up to speed

Ok, I'm not quite "getting" this mod. I checked the shifter on my '08 GT and it has very little side to side movement, so I don't see how tightening it up a little will offer that much benefit. On the other hand, there is too much up and down freeplay. I think shifting would be nicer if that was minimized. Is there any way to do so?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Ok, first let me say I am new at this posting and picture thing so be patient.

What most of us 2005 to 2008 K1200GT,R, and S owners know is the shifting of the gears seems to be a little sloppy. We deal with the clunking and missed shifts, all the while, wishing we could solve this problem without having to buy 2009 model. Well, recently I was at my favorite BMW shop and was looking at a 2009 GT and S. I was poking and pulling on various parts to see what was different from my 2007 GT. I was most curious about the recent claim by BMW that they had “fixed” the sloppy shifting issue. So, I took a real close look at the shifter and noticed it was far more precise in the movement than my 07. Closer inspection reveals the shifter appears to pivot on a bearing and not the plastic bushings that mine does. As you are most aware, our K1200s have a linkage and not a direct connection to the transmission. Therefore, any play in the linkage will be greatly increased the sloppy shifting.

Well armed with this new knowledge, I pulled my shifter off, pushed out the plastic bushings and measured the bore. 14mm exactly. The bolt measures 7.5mm. I surfed around and found a bearing supplier in So Cal called “VXB Ball Bearings” and found sealed 8x14mm bearings. 10 for $19! I replaced the OEM plastic bushing with a stack of 4 bearings and the mod transformed the shifting into a smooth and precise action. I was so impressed I shared this with my K1200S buddy and he was skeptical until he rode my GT around. We then changed out his K1200S shifter too!

Follow along,

Here are the tools you need:

On the S and GT, remove the single fairing bolt (T2) located behind the shifter to allow the fairing to flex down enough to get the Torx driver on the shifter bolt (T40):

Remove the shifter bolt:

Once free, remove the linkage (10mm):

Wipe the shifter down with a rag and remove the bushings. Mine fell out but my buddy’s S required a small screw driver as a punch to push them out:

Clean out the bore with brake cleaner, MEK, or acetone. I lightly scuffed the bore with emery cloth to aid with loctite adhesion. I used Loctite brand, bearing and stud locker (green), but high strength thread locker (red) will work as well. There are very little side to side forces so this will do.

Here are the bearings I bought from VXB:

Check out their site, oh yeah, super fast delivery too!

You will need to take 2 #8 (I think) stainless washers and bore them out with a 5/16” drill bit. They will rest on both sides of the bearings. They have a smaller OD than the OEM washer and act to allow the free rotation of the bearing. Leave the OEM washer on the bolt.

Ok, now place the shifter in a vice, gently, so the bore is horizontal. Take the OEM shifter bolt with OEM washer, add one #8 washer and four bearings then a #8 washer. Now, lightly coat the bore and outer bearings with loctite. Very little. Slide the bearings into the bore as if you were bolting the shifter back on until the inner most bearing is at the edge of the inner bore of the shifter (side that points to the transmission). I put a nut on the bolt and finger tightened it once I had the bearings in the bore to hold the bearing pack together. Now, to speed up the setting process I uniformly heated the shifter bore area with heat gun to 180 degrees in two heat cycles. Loctite sets in one hour and fully cures in 24 hours. Since I was not in a hurry, I left it in the vice over night for my GT and two hours for my Buddy’s S. He was impatient!

This is too far:

Perfect:

After the bearings are set, simply reinstall the shifter. Torque the shifter to the OEM spec of 19nm. Now on the S we needed to have two #8 washers on the bolt between the shifter and the bracket to ensure the shifter did not rub against the bracket. You will need to adjust it for own application. On my GT only needed one.

Total cost plus CA tax and S&H was, $30 for the bearings (10pk). Another $10 for the new tube of loctite. That’s $20 per bike. Not bad.

As I stated before, please feel free to PM me for details if I did not do this well enough. Also, I live in Cen Cal and would be willing to do the mod for you. (Bring beer money!)

Vince

Good Job
The 2009 K1300S has the very same mod on the shifter! At least the one with the quick shifter.
H
Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

I was skeptical on this one, but for 25 dollars (roughly) I figured I'd give it a try.

Two words. It works!

I can't figure out why the stock bushing would bind, but it has to be doing just that. The shifting feels more precise, shorter throw, and overall smoother. One tip though, I installed the bearings and washers only to see that one washer had fallen off sight unseen. Rather than reapply thread locker I just removed the shifter screw, added the washer, and reinstalled. By pure luck I noticed at THCR that the shifter was about to fall off!!!!! I re tightened, then upon returning home reapplied blue loctite AND added a lock nut to the backside. Overkill? Sure, but I sleep better knowing it's never going to come off by itself again.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,122 Times in 821 Posts

Had my shifter done yesterday... I agree with everything Sir Tim said... Well worth the money.. more precise, shorter throw, and overall smoother. Don't expect the clunkiness to dissapear, but otherwise.. I'm impressed..

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Go Ugly Early

Geez...now I gotta go look at my rearsets to see if it'll work. But, the HP's seem real solid and I noticed a distinct improvement when I did that change. Trust me, even at the price I got...the bearing are a lot cheaper.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,317 Posts

Definitely an inexpensive fix and with so much positive response I ordered my bearings the other day... can't stand not to be part of the "in" crowd.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Geez...now I gotta go look at my rearsets to see if it'll work. But, the HP's seem real solid and I noticed a distinct improvement when I did that change. Trust me, even at the price I got...the bearing are a lot cheaper.
I'll be interested in the result, Doug... please let me know what you think of it...
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Getting up to speed

This looks great. I'm in and ordering today.

Thanks for the tip.

'07 BMW R1200S Sun Yellow, Dark Graphite
'06 BMW K1200S Sun Yellow, Dark Graphite, White Aluminum Bumble Bee
'03 Aprilia Tuono Italian Red
'02 Ducati ST4s Grey with Yellow Wheels
'01 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Naked Black with Red Frame + Givi Faring--Sold

Doing my part to support the European Motorcycle Industry
Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Vince,

Thanks for sharing this easy upgrade modification. I really could tell the difference the first time I took the bike for a ride after completing the mod. But now having had the opportunity to put ~1800miles on the bike, clearly this is the best $20-30 I've ever spent. So much easier and more confident shifting. We won't tell BMW, but they lost a sale on the new K1300GT. It's much easier on the wallet to spend $30 rather than $22k.

Thanks again!

sirbreeze
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Getting up to speed

No problem at all! I really struggled to post this, but the several buddies really pressed me too! I am glad so many have taken this idea and were able to change their K1200s in a way that increased what they love about these bikes. It is a rather simple mod, and the offer to help anyone out that can make it to Cen Cal for some personal assistance from me still stands. Anyone interested can just PM me! Vince
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Getting up to speed

Got mine done a couple of weeks ago and really like the change in shift precision.

Thanks for bringing it up and showing the way.

PS. The lock nut on the end of the mounting screw is a great way to eliminate the tendency to loosen as was mentioned above somewhere.

Thanks again.

'07 BMW R1200S Sun Yellow, Dark Graphite
'06 BMW K1200S Sun Yellow, Dark Graphite, White Aluminum Bumble Bee
'03 Aprilia Tuono Italian Red
'02 Ducati ST4s Grey with Yellow Wheels
'01 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Naked Black with Red Frame + Givi Faring--Sold

Doing my part to support the European Motorcycle Industry
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Yeah i tried a lock nut, but it interfered with the removal of the oil filter. The OEM setup has locktite, so i just did the same.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Getting up to speed

I was concerned as well but went the locktite way. As a little insurance, I took a sharpie and marked both the nut and the shifter to check for slippage. Rock solid - no slippage and I've racked up over 2K since the mod. Doubt it ever will.

sirbreeze
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Lukenzo - MN

I did this very affordable mod last night. Just rode the bike into work this morning and what a nice difference. Shifting is tighter and the throws are shorter. Nice post.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukensow
the throws are shorter.
I think the power of suggestion is a wonderful thing!

I can certainly understand it if you found the shifting was easier and smoother, but there is no way that the throws could possibly be any shorter! The length if the shift throw is only related to the leverage of the system (fulcrum lengths, shift ratchet design, etc.), not to the type of bearing used.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Site Contributor

Unless there is so much side to side play in the plastic bushings the pedal will twist on the bolt slightly. You can feel that as being a longer throw.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Lukenzo - MN

Hey Vancouver Bob,

I stand by my post. I am quite confident that the shifting is shorter. I guess that might because the I had at least 1/4" in play with the stock setup. It's shorter.

Go find someones else post to pee on.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Getting up to speed

It seriously tightens up the shifting. I think that transcends to short throws. At it feels like shorter throws.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
... but there is no way that the throws could possibly be any shorter! .....
Logic would seem to say so ,but yes, the throws are shorter.

Deflection? Might be. Really has to be. Don't know. Don't care. The throws are shorter. The shifts are smoother. The costs was cheap. This modification just works!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
I think the power of suggestion is a wonderful thing!
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
. . . there is no way that the throws could possibly be any shorter!
The pipes are louder. So the bike is faster. I know it's true, so don't bother confusing me with facts and dyno charts.

Having done this mod (and on a particularly sloppy shifter), I can say that the shifts are smoother and much more precise. That doesn't mean that the throws are measurably shorter in the vertical direction, just that the shifting is tightened up and much more exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
The shifts are smoother. The costs was cheap. This modification just works!
Exactly.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT
IBA# 366, MOA# 111996
Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Agreed! Not sure if it's a shorter throw, but it sure feels like it. Much smoother and confident shifts. It cured my K1300 envy. But let me tell you what else this inexpensive upgrade mod does for me. The days a brighter, the roads smoother, my bike trips are more carefree, my business is more successful, the women are better looking and they all adore me. Life is great. And it's all due to a $30 mod!

sirbreeze
Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Lukenzo - MN

I did not realize that using the word "shorter" would get so much response. Let me re-clarify. Prior to putting in this "EXCELLANT" most affordable enhancement, my shifter was very sloppy very loose with some side to side movement

THUS: It was loose a shifter.

Once I put on the enhancement, it was much tighter. All free play eliminated. Therefore it appears to have tightened her up. So I will take back the shorter throw and replace it with, tighter throws, more responsive, cleaner.

Also I dropped my pegs one inch last year and never adjusted my shifter. While putting this enhancement I adjusted the shifter to accommodate the dropping of the pegs 1” Therefore, yes, my throws are now shorter due to adjusting the shifter height. And the shifter is more responsive, tighter, feels better, due to this $25 enhancement.

Note: I also greased the inside of the bearings and that made a nice difference as well.

I also changed to Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic last week. I won’t metion the differences I noticed less I be accused of delusion.

Regards
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
.....I also changed to Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic last week. I won’t metion the differences I noticed less I be accused of delusion.

Regards
  • Is that "real" synthetic or just "so called" synthetic?
  • Is it refracted or not?
  • Does BMW recommend 20W-50?
  • Did you mean delusion or "dillusion"?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I also changed to Amsoil 20W-50 synthetic last week. I won’t metion the differences I noticed less I be accused of delusion.

Regards

And, don't mention what brand of tires you use either. Stay away from the O2 sensor, and don't tell us what kind of gas you use.
It will all be much easier.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Go Ugly Early

Hmmm...haven't read this thread for a while. Guess I didn't miss anything!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Lukenzo - MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
  • Is that "real" synthetic or just "so called" synthetic?
  • Is it refracted or not?
  • Does BMW recommend 20W-50?
  • Did you mean delusion or "dillusion"?

I can not resist this wonderful, most EXCELLANT challenge
  • It is not real nor is it so called Synthetic, it’s Wonder Oil. The same stuff Batman uses in his motorcycle.
  • Robin told me Batman’s oil is refracted
  • Who cares what BMW recommends. They can’t even get the fuel mapping right. They recommend 6000 mile Dino changes. The joker says to never mind them.
  • Delusion or maybe illusion..
  • And how about them M Pilot Roads 2CT. I swear I am getting 20 mpg more.
  • Oh the O2 Sensor, I took it out and the bike now reaches top speed of 200 MPH plus coupled with my Remus.
  • I now only use leaded fuel 110 OCTANE. Bike gained 15 more HP.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

My first hijack. I was at the Dragon last weekend and the Chevron station in Robbinsville was selling Dragon Fuel - 110 octane for $7.99 a gallon. And, No, I did not buy any.
OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Hi All

I finally got around to doing the mod but unfortunately have not had a chance to test as we have had a month of rain on the "Sunny South Coast" of Natal, South Africa. The only bearings I could find in SA are 8x14x4mm which fitted perfectly. Could someone please explain to me how you drill out a washer as mine kept turning in the vice and if I tried to tighten the vice the washers were pressed oval. I eventually came right by drilling as much as I could then grinding the hole to size with a mini die grinder with a tapered grinding stone. I also had to use 2 washers on the bracket size to prevent the bearings siezing up when I tightened the screw

Safe biking to all
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey there! Well if you have not drilled them out yet, my first attempts before i got actuall washers that worked was to take a pair of vice grips to hold the washer then put the vice grips in the table vice and i slowly drilled away.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Got me! Just measured mine and it has about 1/16" upward play in addition to the wobble. I'm in. I'll get the bearings in this week. Thanks for the tutorial.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Welcome to the club! there are a few guys out there selling kits now. Might be worth it if you have the dough. personally, you can save quite a bit if you just look at this post and order the parts yourself. PM if you have any questions. Happy New Year!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 AM
trev0006

some good info here.

Quote:
  • It is not real nor is it so called Synthetic, it’s Wonder Oil. The same stuff Batman uses in his motorcycle.
  • Robin told me Batman’s oil is refracted
  • Who cares what BMW recommends. They can’t even get the fuel mapping right. They recommend 6000 mile Dino changes. The joker says to never mind them.
  • Delusion or maybe illusion tire.
  • And how about them M Pilot Roads 2CT. I swear I am getting 20 mpg more.
  • Oh the O2 Sensor, I took it out and the bike now reaches top speed of 200 MPH plus coupled with my Remus.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe
My first hijack. I was at the Dragon last weekend and the Chevron station in Robbinsville was selling Dragon Fuel - 110 octane for $7.99 a gallon. And, No, I did not buy any.
OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

You guys laugh.
But compared to the ethanol blended fuel crap around here, after 1/2 tank of 100 octane fuel mixed with premium unleaded from Shell, the bike ran like the old cliche, sewing machine smooth.
Most noticeable on part throttle acceleration. It was ultra smooth. What I imagine the RS guys enjoy.

13:1 compression ratio and high overlap cam and ethanol blended fuel just don't mix that well. There was a time probably just a few years ago when 13:1 was considered race only compression!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Did this last week to my 2007 K1200GT with 42,000 on the odometer. It now shifts like it should have from the factory. I also find neutral on the first try, not on the fifty ith try. Used the links and bought the bearings and the washers. Thanks for the detailed pictures, they made it as easy as it gets. Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Fast Thinker

Send a message via AIM to Corlock Send a message via MSN to Corlock Send a message via Yahoo to Corlock Send a message via Skype™ to Corlock

wow... I am very impressed. I will definately do this as well. Thanks for the step by step! You are my hero lol.
===============================
2013 K1300S anniversary edition "Special K"...Currently modding as usual. (current as of March 2018)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
Getting up to speed

I am just happy i was able to share an idea. My buddy has 53k miles on the fix with his S. He thanks me everytime he sees me.

Vince
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Fast Thinker

Send a message via AIM to Corlock Send a message via MSN to Corlock Send a message via Yahoo to Corlock Send a message via Skype™ to Corlock

Quote:
I am just happy i was able to share an idea. My buddy has 53k miles on the fix with his S. He thanks me everytime he sees me.

Vince

Vince, about the lock tight. Do you apply it to the washers on the outside of the bearings as well or just the bearings themselves?
===============================
2013 K1300S anniversary edition "Special K"...Currently modding as usual. (current as of March 2018)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Getting up to speed

Well I only put loctite on the threads and the bearing where they slid into the bore. Now i am sure several other folks have put loctite on the washers with no problems. I just don't see the point.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Great mod! I occasionally search forums for ideas (a lot more now that I own a K1200GT) but have never posted. I signed up just to comment on this fix! Tremendous. A few comments:

I did order the SS version of the bearings from VXB (kit 8945 - 10 Bearing 8x14x4 Stainless:Sealed).

Had to use a small butane torch on the back side of the bolt to get it out (factory High Strength on the threads)

High Strength Loctite for the outer bearing\shifter bore.Medium Strength for the screw threads reassembling.

For the washers I used #10 SS washers and clamped them one at a time between two 3/8" ID Fender washers (using two pairs of vice grips). Drilled them out to 5/16" ID using a step drill. Finished 4 of them in about 5 minutes. Two for the inside and two for the outside.

I can now find neutral!

New owner (3 months) of a 2008 K1200GT with 34k miles.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Glad to hear you are happy! Feel free to PM me if you ever have a question about anything. I farkled and and did mine out major services.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
The Terminator

I've had my K1200S now for over two years I guess - about the same time this thread started. Seen it many times and yes, wait for it - today I finally did the sloppy shifter fix!
Haven't tested it yet - but after reading all the comments I'm sure tomorrow will be the fastest day in my K1200S career yet!

Thanks for the instructions!

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Getting up to speed

After the F800S, the gearbox in the K1200GT is pure bliss...it doesn't pop out of gear all the time, I've never missed a shift in the 300-or-so miles I've put on her, and it feels really clean and tight (to me, lol). That said, I'll give this a shot one of these upcoming weekends, just for lulz. Thanks for posting this!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Getting up to speed

No problem at all. Take your time and look around for bearing sources. Since i did this, numerous "kits" have been created for sale that would probably make this mod a little easier to do. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you very much ccii42104 for this good and cheap solution.

My 2008 GT was showing a clear shift lever malfunction since 30 Kmiles and now with 40 kmiles the situation had become unsustainable with serious problems to change gear, mainly between 2nd and 3rd gear.
During all this time the bike´s been reviewed by the local dealer and I´ve never got a comment or suggestion about changing the set of bushings...

Now it´s all solved. Thank you again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140323_181951.jpg (285.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Very interesting as i never realized the sloppy shift could lead to your problem. I am glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Very interesting as i never realized the sloppy shift could lead to your problem. I am glad it worked out for you.

Well, considering how the problem has been solved. It seems to me that it was simply caused by the important deterioration of the original plastic bushings that under some determined circumstances made that the great clearance among the pieces led to gear change blockage.

It´s a pitty that a really good bike like this doesn´t shine as it should because some bad quality components. I´m thinking on abs system and the distribution chain also.

Anyhow I´m delighted, two weeks ago I was thinking that the solution was a complete gear box change. In fact I was looking for a used k1300´s one...

Thank you again
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The red threadlocker is a must. I tried the blue threadlocker and it continued to loosen up. Doesn't take long to start to back the bolt out when it gets loose. At least the thread engagement is faily long. I have to agree that my 92 K75 was more reliable (at least until I bounced it off a deer and stuffed it into the end of a guard rail) and the parts were expensive but not the budget buster that they are on this 07 K1200GT. I still love the looks and the ride though.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Getting up to speed

I just completed this fix yesterday and I must say that the difference in feel is "priceless."

My observation..

Go to your local bike shop and pick up a hex head replacement bolt M8x35 for the shifter screw, prior to starting this project. I stripped the head on the original torx head bolt, requiring a torch* and vice grips on the backside of the bolt to remove it. I'm just saying....

[*Note: I removed the little clip on the side stand switch and moved the switch to the side, then I cut a piece of rain gutter tin about 4"x4" to use as a heat shield in front of the oil filter.]

BTW, I paid $30 for the bearings (stainless steel - free upgrade from VXB, from the kit mentioned below, due to stock issues), and the pkg of 10 washes, also mentioned below. Since I still have half the kit sitting in my toolbox, I'm willing to sell this unused portion.

FOR SALE: COMPLETE KIT (5 bearings - you only need 4 though - and 5 washers, for $20 USD, including shipping to 48 states.... Send me a PM if you're interested.

http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/showpho...ze/big/cat/505

Http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/8mm/kit690

http://www.bikeman.com/BO1261.html?u...ign=GoogleBase
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold
1982 Honda V45 Sabre - sold
1980 Honda CM125 - sold