I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Just another troll

K1300S Lite-Buddy Install and Review

I purchased a set of rear Lite-Buddy's in November 2009 for my K1300S. They were advertised as being applicable for the K1300S. Technically, they do fit the bike. However, the instructions and included connectors are all for the K1200S and do not take into account the different wiring that exists for the LED tail light on the K13 series.

Here's a little write up and review that will hopefully be helpful to those of you looking to install these on your K13. The instructions that come with Lite-Buddy's are not that great to start with and become even less useful if you have a K13. I'll try to fill in some of the gaps.

Here's a very amateur diagram of what I will be describing. You will need three grey/red Posi-Taps and one red Posi-Lock. (http://www.posi-lock.com/).

Don't worry about getting wires trimmed to the proper length at first. Leave them all long. It's easier to trim them at the end of the install.

Installation of the Light Buddy's into your turn signals

1. Remove your tail light and all of the plastic around the tail section of your bike. The job will much easier and you won't scratch anything.

2. Install the Lite-Buddys in the rear turn signals as described with the instructions. All you are doing is replacing a bulb with an LED set and a bunch of bulky wires. It is a *very* tight fit getting all of the wires into the turn signal housing. It's doable, but not easy. Take your time and don't pinch anything. The real solution would be to modify the reflectors to eliminate the bulb mounting system.
TIP:Tape up or use shrink tubing to seal off the "hot" connection (connecting the Light Buddy to your bike's blue wire). You don't want any shorts!

3. Run the long wires up next to the original turn signal wiring and feed them up into the tail section. Cable tie these wires to the bikes turn signal wires as they head up into the tail section to keep them from flapping around over the rear wheel.

Wiring in the Light Buddys
Here's where it gets interesting. You are going to need to tap into your bikes wiring in three places. Fortunately, the rear lights on the K13 are on their own harness, separate from the main wiring harness. All of my connections tap into this rear mini-harness. That way if things go horribly wrong, it should be pretty simple just to replace that harness.

Throw away the IDC connectors that come with the kit. The wires in the K13 are too small to use these connectors. Get out your three grey/red Posi-Taps and one red Posi-Lok.

4. Your LED tail light should already be removed. On your bike, find the plug that plugs into the tail light and peel the tape back about 1/2 inch. Take a red and grey Posi-Tap and tap into the grey/red wire about one inch before the tail light plug. Posi-Taps end up perpendicular to the tapped wire, so make sure the open end faces the left side of the bike.

5.Cut a few inches of wire from the Lite Buddy wire coming from the left side of the bike. Strip one end of this wire and lock it into the open part of the Posi-Tap (See above image).

6. Strip the ends of the Lite-Buddy wires coming from each rear turn signal. Using a red Posi-Lok (or a crimp connector) splice these two wires to the wire that is tapped into the tail light circuit.

At this point your Light-Buddy's should be working. Try them out to make sure! Notice that when you activate a turn signal, they will flash very quickly. If you go for a ride like this you will get a lamp error. If this doesn't bother you, stop here and enjoy! If it does bother you, move to the next step.

To trick the Canbus and eliminate the Lamp error message you need to install the supplied resistors. The supplied instructions are very weak when it comes to this installation. Here's what you need to do:

Note: The hot wires for both rear turn signals are blue. So, make sure you know which is left and which is right before tapping.

7. Tap into the blue wire leading to the left turn signal with a grey/red Posi-Tap. A convenient place to do this can be found on the left side of the bike where the signal wires plug into the main harness. Tap into the blue wire (paired with the brown ground wire) on the signal side of the plug. Angle your Posi-Tap so it points towards the right side of the bike. Connect a lead from a resistor into this tap.

8. Tap into the blue wire leading to the right turn signal with a grey/red Posi-Tap. A convenient place to do this can be found in the middle back of the tail section where a plug connects the wires leading to the turn signal to the main harness. Tap into the blue wire (paired with a brown ground wire) on the signal side of the plug. Angle your Posi-Tap so it points towards the front of the bike. Connect a lead from a resistor into this tap.

9. Mount your resistors. The directions say something about dangling in open wind. Screw that. I securely mounted mine on the right side of the tail compartment. (See above photo). I cable tied them together and then I cable tied them to an adhesive connector that I stuck in this area.

10. Find a convenient ground location. I used a bolt on the right side of the bike that holds my luggage rack.

11. Connect the two resistor wires to ground. Crimp the two wires coming from the resistors together into some sort of connector (I used a yellow "U" connector) and connect to your ground location.

12. When you have completed the installation, go back and trim down all of your wires. Posi-Taps are reusable, so if a wire is too long simply take it out of the tap, trim it down to a reasonable length, and put it back into the tap.

Congrats, your in business!

REVIEW

Is all of this effort worth the result? It's a toss up to me. When you are not braking the Light Buddy's act as red running lights. Each Light Buddy has two vertical rows of four LEDs. Compared to the tail light, they are not that bright. When you hit the breaks, these same 16 LEDs get a bit brighter, but I don't think significantly so. When you activate a turn signal, the rest of the LEDs will flash orange.

I think the added red LEDs during running and braking give some, but minimal increase in visibility from the rear. Take a look at the lights under running conditions and see if you think the result is worth $100, an hour or so of your time, and hacking into your new bikes wiring harness.

:
Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Shooting the gap

Re: K1300S Lite-Buddy Install and Review

Good write-up. I did the same for my K1300S way back in May, and just spliced and soldered the connections instead of using the posi-locks. Just felt more secure to me . I also went with clear signal lenses. That makes them at least as bright, if not brighter than the stock signals were. Made it very worthwhile to me. Also I just mounted the resistors in the little space directly behind the tail light. They fit there with about 1/8" clearance all around and do NOT get hot, or warm for that matter. So far not a single problem from them.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Just another troll

Thanks for the comments Videoguy. I'm a believer in not using solder to connect wires that will be subjected to vibration. Before Posi products I would always crimp. I know that solder vs. crimp is one of those things that, given our application, is probably 100% pretty meaningless and either way is fine. Another reason I like the Posi products is I am adverse to cutting wires if it can be avoided.

Good point about the clear lenses.

Cheers!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Shooting the gap

Actually I didn't cut anything, just peeled back the insulation for about 1/2 inch for each splice, wrapped and soldered and applied liquid electrical tape to the connections. I prefer soldering to any kind of mechanical splice. To me it's a more solid connection. I've heard plus and minus on both types though.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Thank you for the detail. Isn't nice to know people are still using your post? I used it to validate my K1200S wiring especially when I got lost on the resister thing. Mines working as you described and later, after a ride, I'll wire up the resisters to get rid of the LAMPS! error. Thanks again... BTW I did a similar thread on installing an accessory fuse box and a radar mount.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 06-06-2015, 08:58 PM
The Dude abides.

Send a message via Skype™ to FLHRSI

I wish we could get the pictures back.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHRSI
I wish we could get the pictures back.

The site www.photohost.org is no longer available, only ssduc could upload again the pics, perhaps now in our gallery...