I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 AM
Site Contributor

Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

I purchased the Beemerboneyard fuel tank Quick Disconnects and have been carrying them with me for about a year. The stock bike comes with a plastic quick-disconnect (QD) fitting that connects the fuel tank and its internal fuel pump to the rubber fuel line that feeds the engine. A number of owners report leaking, cracking and failure of the stock plastic fitting and have replaced them with metal pieces. A few weeks ago I smelled raw fuel on my K1200S during a ride and surmised it was time to attempt the installation.

Supplier website: www.beemerboneyard.com
Description: CPC Chrome Plated Brass Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Set
Part Number: BBcpcqkdisconK12S
Price: $39.95 plus applicable tax and shipping.

Here’s what you get in the K1200S kit:

I’ve ordered a couple of items from Beemerboneyard and have been happy with their products and service. Additionally they are a Supporting Vendor of I-BMW. I have no affiliation with them.

Beemerboneyard does not provide instructions with the kit, thus this write-up. It is not a difficult installation to complete though. They also sell QD kits for other models of BMW's. Total time for me including taking notes/photos and figuring it all out was about 2 hours.

Cautions and Disclaimers:
I do not know if this will void your warranty.
Proceed at your own risk. The less fuel in your tank the better. My tank was about ¾ full which added difficulty.
This is dangerous particularly due to potential for explosive ignition of gasoline fumes, possibility of property damage, personal injury or death.
Start with a cold bike and work in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. Do not allow sparks or other sources of fume ignition in the area. Have an ABC type fire extinguisher nearby.
I am not a mechanic and did not consult any workshop manuals. Other methods may be more suitable than those outlined here.
The bike shown and described herein is a US model 2008 K1200S. Others may require a different procedure.
A centerstand or lift is not required.

BEGIN.

With a Torx driver remove the 2 screws holding the battery cover in place, slide cover forward and remove.

Disconnect both battery terminals and move the wires away from the battery.
Remove two Philips screws that secure the metal battery hold-down brace, remove the brace and then lift the battery out. This is a good time to clean your battery and remove any accumulation of debris from the battery compartment.

Remove the seat.

Remove the plastic under-tray (engine spoiler in BMW-speak.)

Remove both the right and left plastic lower fairings (trim panels.)

Remove the right and left plastic upper fairings (tank trim.)

Use an allen wrench to remove the two aluminum spool-shaped seat hold-downs. These spools serve to both guide/hold down the front of the seat and to secure the rear of the fuel tank. Once removed, the fuel tank can be slid rearward a small amount.

The rear of the tank is mechanically secured by the aluminum spools. The front of the tank is held in place by two frame mounted rubber grommets that mate into slots molded into each side of the fuel tank. After removing the spools, slide the tank rearward just enough to release the tank from the front grommets.

Now you can manipulate the hoses and wires to gently tilt the tank to the left about 45 degrees. At this point you will have enough room to access the wire connectors and fuel line quick disconnects.

Now unplug the stock plastic quick-disconnect fitting. There is a sliding metal tab on the tank-side black female fitting that you simple push down on and it will then release the fuel-line side white male fitting from the tank. If functioning properly there will be a little spurt of gasoline when the QD releases, but that is all. Disconnecting the QD will give additional free play to move the tank farther away.

If the tank is less than half full, you only need to tilt the tank 90 degrees onto its left side to complete the QD interchange. If the tank is half full or more, you will need to rotate the tank more or even entirely upside-down. Rotating it more than 90 degrees is not a problem except that you will need to additionally disconnect the electrical plugs for the fuel pump and fuel level sensor. Also be sure to have a soft towel available to prevent the painted center panel trim from being scratched as you rotate the tank completely over and rest it upside-down.

The factory fuel line clamps are one time use only. You have to destroy the factory clamp to remove the fuel line from the white male fitting. I do not suggest cutting the fuel line as it is already fairly short on free-play. The factory clamp can be removed by prying the tangs apart with a screw driver or by cutting the metal band with wire cutters. I used wire cutters in the photo and once the band is cut it can be unwrapped from the fuel line.

The fuel line is very tough high pressure fuel injector rated material. And the male QD fitting has barbs that dig into the fuel line very well. Even with the factory clamp removed I still found it quite tough removing the plastic fitting from the fuel line. Eventually I used pliers to grip the QD and pull it out of the fuel line. However in doing so the brittle nature of the stock plastic fitting revealed itself as it shattered into pieces. Alas, this is why we are replacing with metal parts. Right!

Next install new metal QD male fitting with provided fuel line clamp onto the fuel hose. Snug the clamp down firmly - yet do not tighten to the point of deforming the fuel line as this will cause early degradation.

On the tank, unscrew the black plastic female fitting with an open-end wrench. Removing this fitting from the tank will expose the contents. If you have not tilted the tank over far enough, gasoline will spill out. There will be white thread sealant residue that appears when you remove the fitting. Try to keep this residue from entering the fuel system.

Take the pouch of thread sealant and before cutting it open, thoroughly mix the contents by repeatedly pinching and squeezing the pouch. After you cut open the pouch check the consistency of the contents, it should be like peanut butter and white in color. If yellowish or wet when you initially squeeze it out, you need to mix it up more. Apply the sealant to the new fitting metal threads.

Now screw the QD metal fitting into the tank by hand and carefully tighten with wrench. Remember that you are putting a metal fitting into a plastic tank and will strip the tank threads if you over tighten.

With the QD installed in the tank, rotate the tank back enough to where you can mate the fuel line QD to the tank QD. Also reconnect the pump and sensor electrical plugs. Then prior to rotating the tank entirely over, check the insulation panel on the bottom of the tank to make sure it is not bunched up. Fully rotate tank and route the wires and hoses so they do not kink, pinch or rub on anything. Take your time and gently slide the tank forward engaging the 2 rubber grommets. Pay attention to aligning the wire and fuel lines.

If the tank is fully engaged with the front grommets, the rear aluminum spools should fit easily back into place.
If you like at this time you can reinstall the battery (before body panels), start the engine then check for leaks and proper dashboard fuel level readings. If all looks good, then install bodywork and seat and go for a test ride.

The following (12) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'IMXMAN' for this post:
Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM
The Terminator

Re: Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

Great post! Already did mine, but this would have been a great help. I'm sure others can benefit from this report! Thanks for posting!

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,395 Posts

Thank you, nice job Xave!

Thread is now "sticky".
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,708 Posts

Thanks for the great directions and pictures.
I saw awhile back that the 2011S still has the plastic disconnect, so I plan to get a couple ordered for our bikes.

Did you remove the battery to prevent sparks, or does it need to be removed to lift the tank.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Site Contributor

I'll definately change out the plastic QD's on my own bike in over the winter time, so your post will greatly help . Thanks for taking the time to post up the procedure so well Xave .
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,255 Times in 771 Posts

Well done Xav

This thread should be made a sticky one.

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EricM' for this post:
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Debbie's Servant

Texas Twister had to change his last year at the Arkansas rally and dlestina was stranded this year at the same rally. The Arizona Kid also had his break several years ago.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Site Contributor

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Love the Sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Did you remove the battery to prevent sparks, or does it need to be removed to lift the tank.

Lee,
I suppose that the battery could be left in and it does not physically attach to the tank. However removing it provides much improved access for routing the lines and manipulating the tank - and importantly the safety factor in taking a potential ignition source out of play. Simply though, it's so easy to remove the battery that I would not consider leaving it in place while doing this. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXMAN
Lee,
I suppose that the battery could be left in and it does not physically attach to the tank. However removing it provides much improved access for routing the lines and manipulating the tank - and importantly the safety factor in taking a potential ignition source out of play. Simply though, it's so easy to remove the battery that I would not consider leaving it in place while doing this. Good luck!

Thanks.
Does the computer date need to be reset after having the battery out?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Does the computer date need to be reset after having the battery out?

Lee, the computer and dash will retain their data with the battery disconnected, no reset needed on my K12S. Long-term (weeks/months) disconnect may be different.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Fantastic write up and pics, thanks for taking the time to post up.
Do you know if fuel disconnects are the same on K13S.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikez
Do you know if fuel disconnects are the same on K13S.

Beemerboneryard shows the same part for the 1200 and 1300.
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconk12s.html

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Thanks Lee
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Site Contributor

Excellent post! On a foot note... I recently purchased (it's about time) four K13S oil filters for I think $37.00 plus shipping from the bone yard. Good deal!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Shooting the gap

Excellent write-up! Just a word of caution when tightening the tank side disconnect--go very easy. The plastic assembly is prone to cracking, so go easy as you screw in the new metal disconnect.

I found cracks on my K12GT when I installed the metal quick disconnect kit. Fortunately for me it was not leaking. Others have not been as fortunate and the replacement cost is $$$.

Here is a photo of cracks on an RT.

Just go easy and only snug it up just past hand tight.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bandera' for this post:
Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks! Awesome walk-through. One question: is the fuel line under any sort of pressure? I thought I read that the fuel line had to be clamped. Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel
Thanks! Awesome walk-through. One question: is the fuel line under any sort of pressure? I thought I read that the fuel line had to be clamped. Thanks

You can see the fuel line clamped in this picture.

The other line may be the drain from the filler neck.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel
One question: is the fuel line under any sort of pressure? I thought I read that the fuel line had to be clamped.

Scrannel, while changing the QD's out, the fuel line going to the engine does not need to be clamped off due to pressure. However as noted in the directions there will be a small spurt of gas when you initially disconnect the factory fittings from each other. Also when you remove the factory fuel line-side fitting from its hose, there may be some residual fuel in the line but it will not spray out at you or anything like that. It is quite a short hose and so has relatively small capacity.
In any event, make sure you do this on a cold bike and remove the battery. That way any gasoline dribbles you do experience should not have an ignition source. Biggest source of spill will come when you remove the tank side fitting if you have not tilted up the tank sufficiently.
In the photos I reference a fuel line that does not need to be removed during the process that connects to the tank adjacent to the QD fitting, I assume that this is the fuel return line form the injector rail - but I am not certain. Someone with a manual can probably confirm. And there is another line at the top of the tank near the filler neck that I assume is the vent line running to the charcoal canister. This line also can remain connected as it has plenty of free-play. Just make sure these lines are inspected for routing when you slide the tank back into place after your QD change-out. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Getting up to speed

IMXMAN,

Thanks for a great write up.

Question: I have done the conversion on a R1200 RT, and in the instruction for that, it was recommended that the entire fuel line be replaced. There was some concern about the original BMW clamps may cause a problem down the road, as the fuel line was pinched by the clamp. It only cost a buck or two for a 12 inch piece of 5/16 fuel injection rated hose..

What's your feeling on this for the K?

Again, thanks for the instruction, as I've been wanting to do this on my K bike for a while.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Site Contributor

Dundee387,
All fuel lines eventually degrade and need replacement. You certainly can replace this fuel line but only do so with high-pressure fuel injection rated hose. I did not inspect how difficult it is to reach the other end of hose on the K12S and will speculate that the airbox needs removal to access it.
My own fuel lines appear to be in good shape and in my particular circumstance not concerned about replacing them just because the BMW clamp was removed. If there are any cracks, bulging at the clamp, softness or significant age, in your lines then replace them.
Not sure what the BMW workshop manual says about this. In my opinion and notwithstanding the above, replacing a fuel line only because a factory clamp was removed is overkill. YMMV. I am not a professional mechanic. Yadda x 3.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:25 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Great pics
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JamesTexas' for this post:
Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks, this was helpful when installing the Beemer Boneyard QD on my 2008 K12GT. That part came with instructions to avoid exposing the thread sealant to fuel for a period of 24 hours. For that reason, it may be prudent to remove most if not all of the fuel prior to installation of the QD.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bingcarb' for this post:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
WACKY RACER

Jut made it fficial, sticking it to the top of the technical threats.

Great write-up.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I appreciate that; however, something is amiss. I mixed the sealant within the tube in accordance with the instructions that were provided and allowed the sealant to cure for six days before placing fuel in the tank. Nevertheless, fuel seeped through the threads of the male connector and the tank.

So, either I failed to sufficiently combined the contents of the tube, which I do not believe to be the case, or the sealant was somehow defective. What might be a good substitute? It has been suggested that teflon tape would be adequate; however, it is reported that it would not be resistant to gasoline. Permatex manufactures a product called "Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3" which is reported to be highly resistant to gasoline.

Or I simply failed to sufficiently tighten the male connector into the tank. I gave it approximately a 3/4 turn which BB suggested as the maximum. Not wanting to risk damage to the plastic threads I followed the BB instructions. Yet the male connector was very easily removed which leads me to believe that an under-tightened fitting is the culprit.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingcarb
I appreciate that; however, something is amiss. I mixed the sealant within the tube in accordance with the instructions that were provided and allowed the sealant to cure for six days before placing fuel in the tank. Nevertheless, fuel seeped through the threads of the male connector and the tank.

So, either I failed to sufficiently combined the contents of the tube, which I do not believe to be the case, or the sealant was somehow defective. What might be a good substitute? It has been suggested that teflon tape would be adequate; however, it is reported that it would not be resistant to gasoline. Permatex manufactures a product called "Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3" which is reported to be highly resistant to gasoline.

Or I simply failed to sufficiently tighten the male connector into the tank. I gave it approximately a 3/4 turn which BB suggested as the maximum. Not wanting to risk damage to the plastic threads I followed the BB instructions. Yet the male connector was very easily removed which leads me to believe that an under-tightened fitting is the culprit.
You need nothing but a mechanical fit. Plastic to metal requires no thread goo. This is included in the package to cover the bone yards butt. You need to tighten it a bit more,that's it! teflon tape is less messy and does work. With my experience with hydraulic hose fittings,you need nothing for new connections but some tape is a good idea on used fittings. 5000 psi and up to two inch hose from my work experience. P.S. mines in the mail.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

That is suspect. It might be a good seal right up to the moment that the threads strip or split. Without knowing how much material is behind those threads, one could easily overtighten the fitting.

A little research among the aviation maintenance crowd revealed that even specialty teflon tape for petroleum gases are not suitable for liquid petroleum, let alone the general purpose tape used for plumbing. I used Permatex Form-A-Gasket as they do and it worked just fine. The seal is secure and there is no concern about damaging the threads or tape degrading.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your input - I have the same exact bike color and all as you so I very pleased to see your article. I've been smelling fuel especially when I put it in the garage then take it back out to get ride of the smell (my wife made me). I took the bike apart over the weekend and found small leak at the disconnect - then talked with the dealer he said they don't make metal right angle QDs for the K1200s bike? then I saw you article. Appricate your effort.

Haircut - Kent Wa
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Is there just one quick disconnect set at the tank? I have heard other bikes with two sets. Is this the only one I should be worried about?

Great write-up. Will be doing this project over the weekend.

Thanks,
Shea
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadaniel
Is there just one quick disconnect set at the tank? I have heard other bikes with two sets. Is this the only one I should be worried about?

You need to understand a little about FI systems....

Older bikes use a "return" type system. They use a positive displacement "roller cell" pump that pumps fuel into the fuel rail. Injectors use whatever fuel they need, and the rest goes through a pressure regulator and back into the tank. Therefore these systems have two fuel disconnects... fuel supply and return.

Newer bikes use a "non-return" system. This system uses a speed-controlled turbine pump that pumps into the fuel rail, but there is no return to the tank, and no pressure regulator. Instead, there is a fuel pressure sensor that feeds back fuel rail pressure to the ECU, which in turn regulates the speed of the fuel pump to maintain correct fuel rail pressure. Therefore these systems have only one fuel disconnect... just fuel supply; there is no return.

By the way, BE SURE not to tighten the QC too much! It uses a tapered pipe thread, that will split the plastic boss it screws into, and end up causing fuel leakage and costing you a fortune to repair. Use teflon tape and screw the fitting in not much more than finger tight. I'll wager that many folks that had cracks here, had caused the problem themselves by overtightening.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM

If you are ever on a trip and the factory quick connect fails Lowes and Home Depot have the plastic 90 in the plumbing section for a quick repair. Did have to go to Autozone for the little hose clamps though.

What else are you going to do when the dealer says he's 3 weeks behind, and your 650 miles from home?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Getting up to speed

AAARRRGGGGHH.. decided to do this fix today. Wish I never got out of bed. When tightening the quick disconnect on the tank side, I torqued just a hair too much. I realized I was threading a metal item into plastic and took great care. However I under estimated the brittleness of a 6 year old plastic tank. CRACK ! just a hair line crack, but no doubt has made it useless.

be warned.. next time I will go hand tight only,, I barely torqued with the wrench.

nuts. I don't suppose there is a repair for such a thing?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2
I don't suppose there is a repair for such a thing?

I could not reply to your post earlier so I sent you 2 PMs.
Welcome to I-BMW.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up Re: Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRider
If you are ever on a trip and the factory quick connect fails Lowes and Home Depot have the plastic 90 in the plumbing section for a quick repair. Did have to go to Autozone for the little hose clamps though.

What else are you going to do when the dealer says he's 3 weeks behind, and your 650 miles from home?

Good tips
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Debbie's Servant

Xave, thanks for the pictures and instructions. I refered to them today when I replace the male QD on both bikes.
On the first bike I must have tried for 20 minutes to remove the plastic QD from the fuel line and could not. I finally said screw it, and cut 3/4" of the fuel line off and installed the new one.
I filled the bikes when done and left the fairing side panels and belly pan off for tonight so I can check for fuel leaks.

I noticed I do not have the updated metal ring around the female QD so I may have to deal with that.

One of the old plastic male QDs and a couple orings were tossed into my tank bag for emergency repair if another rider needs it in the future. I also carry a brass barb and a couple hose clamps for the brick engine RS/GT.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Site Contributor

Lee,
Glad it went well and you've now done twice as many installs as I have.
I did go back and preventively added the Flange Repair Clamp now sold by Beemer Boneyard. Simple install and slips over the new metal QD on your tank without having to unscrew the QD from the tank bung/boss. I recommend herewith to others to install both at the same time so as to not have to remove the plastics and tank twice.
As you know, I had the same trouble getting the fuel line side factory plastic QD off too. Just could not pull it out by hand, finally used pliers on it and broke it. No biggie.
I'll do that timing chain Jump Guard write up when I get the photos recovered from my hopefully-not-dead-computer. Just need to find someone qualified in PC resurrections...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
I did go back and preventively added the Flange Repair Clamp now sold by Beemer Boneyard. Simple install and slips over the new metal QD on your tank without having to unscrew the QD from the tank bung/boss.

Thanks, I'll get a couple clamps ordered.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Shooting the gap

For those that are having trouble getting the male end pulled out of the fuel line a drop or two of oil from a needle type applicator between the hose and the fitting really helped when I did this on my 06. You'll still have to work it around some but I didn't need pliers and didn't have to cut the hose.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Jetpilot5' for this post:
Lee
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5
For those that are having trouble getting the male end pulled out of the fuel line a drop or two of oil from a needle type applicator between the hose and the fitting really helped when I did this on my 06. You'll still have to work it around some but I didn't need pliers and didn't have to cut the hose.

Good tip, but a couple days late
I tried to spray some lube in but could not get the plastic tube in between the fuel line and QD. I could spin the QD in the fuel line but could not pull it out.
The needle applicator probably would have done the job.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Debbie's Servant

I went back and installed the metal ring around the fuel pump flange on both bikes today.
When I changed the male QD last week I laid the the almost empty tank on a table next to the bike. Laying the tank on the bike like Exave did made me nervous.

Today the tanks were full so I could only lift the tank part way which made things a little tight for working room. I did remove the battery this time for more room. Last week when changing the QD I left the battery in place.
The clamp took a 7/32" wrench and a 2.5mm allen. A 3/32" allen might have fit, but I already had a 2.5mm allen on the work table from last week.

Here's the ring in place at the base of the female QD.

I knew someone would give me hell for the dirty battery in the first picture so I cleaned it before reinstalling it
I also cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends.

I also wiped down the engine. It was too cold to actually wash it.
It seems like we ride in alot of rain, so it gets pretty crappy under the tupperware.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

Speaking of Boulevard, Lee. If you can find their "Tank 7" on tap, it is very good and a favorite of mine. Not as much so in the bottles though. Enjoy.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Speaking of Boulevard, Lee. If you can find their "Tank 7" on tap, it is very good and a favorite of mine. Not as much so in the bottles though. Enjoy.

The cap is from Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Excellent!!!! Im in Brazil, k1200s, and its help me so much. Its so easy, i just bought the piece by site
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BMWMoacir' for this post:
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
The cap is from Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale.
I'm still trying to figure out how our 2008 K1200S, purchased May 2011, already has the reinforcing ring on it.

The gas tank is currently on the basement floor and the ABS module is 2,461 miles away.
But that's another story.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Getting up to speed

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and especially the fellow who posted the nice write up.
I had to remove the fuel tank for my first time to check the starter motor wires and the plastic POS shattered on me. I had a hell of a time digging the remnants of the barbed end out of the fuel line. Finally I siliconed it and squeezed it out carefully with a pair of pliers that had flat smooth jaws! That popped it out quickly without all the struggling to pull out the pieces.
I hope this helps some one as removing & replacing the entire fuel line seems like another super complicated job to remove the air box.
I know its not just me when I say how BMW's get more and more ridiculous with the servicing contortions needed for every new model they make. After 50 years of riding beemers and I am an ex bmw mechanic, I may look for some other simpler bike to maintain.
Apparently though, I will have to look real carefully as everything is more and more crappy lately.
Maybe I can find an original R69-S (my first bmw) or a late model R100gs like the bumblebee I had.

Ross
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Getting up to speed

I just replace my QD's with the set from beemer boneyard using this writeup. When I removed the original female QD from the tank, I did notice about 4 shallow cracks in the threads which made me nervous. When I installed the new QD's, I liberally applied the sealant to the female threads, and as I tightened it down I saw the sealing filling the cracks. I then let it cure overnight, and when I put everything back together yesterday and started it up there was no leaking.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Getting up to speed

I got the same kit from e Beemer Boneyard. They shipped right away, great service!
I decided to leave the female half in place as there were no cracks and I did not want to make any! I drove to work yesterday after a brief test drive the night before and no leaks! I think it is reasonable that the female half is at least cooled by the gasoline and should not self destruct as quickly as the male side which is exposed to the continuous heat from the motor block.

Ross
Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Twisted Wrister

Invaluable post, my story step by step so others will do this sooner rather than later:
1) get cut off by guy making right turn and crossing two lanes
2) flip off said guy while on rear wheel only as I blast by
3) land the wheelie a little harder than usual
4) light up the rear tire in 3rd at partial throttle
5) smell gas
6) slide into parking lot and shut it off
7) push bike until it stops draining fuel so the fire will be small if it goes off
8) call in favors to get home and do the repair exactly as shown in this thread
Gas is flammable and SLIPPERY. I got lucky no fire, no crash.
My local shop carries 5 of the stock plastic ones, I think that tells us there is a problem. Ordered from Beemerboneyard as per the link.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Exclamation Re: Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

Ride it like you stole it
01 Checker for sale

Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Just happened to my buddy on his K13 from a kickstand drop.....ordering mine today just for peace of mind!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingcarb

How did you resolve the problem. I have an '05 K1200S that I bought back in May that sprung a leak almost immediately. I was squeamish about replacing the female side because I didn't want to risk cracking the plastic, so I only replaced the male end. That worked fine until the cold weather set in, and the bike started leaking anytime it was cold out (below 30 degrees F). I replaced the female side using the supplied sealant, and the fuel would seep around the fitting. I cleaned up the fitting, reapplied the sealant, and snugged it just a hair tighter. Still no luck. I double checked, and I don't see any cracks in the flange itself.

I bought some form-a-gasket #2 (non-hardening) to try, but I'm worried I'm just going to make it worse (as in creating a bigger mess to cleanup if it doesn't work). I thought maybe I hadn't let the supplied sealant cure long enough (24 hours), but the online document for the sealant says it can be put into service immediately.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Twisted Wrister

I used teflon tape. You have to have some skill as the teflon will plug up your gas system if you use too much or in the wrong place. That being said there is no better seal out there. The stuff they sent with the kit looks like it was made to pass through the fuel system if you got some in the tank more than stop the gas from leaking.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Given that I can't get a torque wrench on this, and there's no indication on the amount of torque to apply, can someone give me an idea of how much to tighten it. I followed the directions: hand-tighten, then use a wrench to tighten an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn. I'm assuming that's what others have done with success?
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Twisted Wrister

Actually following the instructions with the supplied sealant did not work for me.
I had a leak and instead used a single wrap of teflon tape. I put it in hand tight and then about a turn and a half. This came very close to bottoming out the hex on the male fitting. If the plastic female threads on the tank have a metal backing like mine you can feel more confident. Older tanks without the metal should get a back up ring.

In the end you need to make it tight enough to seal. I recommend having the tank room temp or above so the plastic is more "plastic" and less brittle. If you don't like teflon tape, Rectorseal #5 has been good to me on other projects.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Speed Demon

I have done similar on another bike after having a failure while out on the road the female broke off has anyone had a failure on a K as the originals are now 10 years old.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
I have done similar on another bike after having a failure while out on the road the female broke off has anyone had a failure on a K as the originals are now 10 years old.

Scroll up for my tale; short version is a hard landing wheelstand can break the fitting and all that gas on the rear tire can get you in trouble FAST. Yes, a few have had the quick connect fail on the road.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Speed Demon

Certainly with my early Tiger they fail just from old age as the plastic female just becomes brittle and breaks.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: Installing Fuel Line Quick Disconnects on a K1200S

First of all, great post, instructions, and illustrations. Many thanks!

I suffered a kickstand drop on my K12S and then it started leaking fuel like mad. Local BMW shops said they couldn't look at it for at least four days, but I ordered the replacement part and received it in two.

I agree with DOA, though. The supplied adhesive was useless--even after mixing well, allowing to thicken for 30 minutes prior to installing, and leaving to dry for 2 days before riding. I went out to the local hardware store, and grabbed a spool of yellow fuel- and oil-rated thread tape, ran 1-1/2 turns around the male fitting, and haven't had a drop of fuel leak since.

Again, thanks for taking the time to document such a great solution for others!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Wait.. how teflon is handling with fuel?
i thought its only for water pipes?...
(i oredered the metal kit long time-when the plastic male replaced about more than one year ago, but did not install it yet..)
Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Here's a [rather large] pic of the type of tape I used. You can see where it says it's for fuel and oil. Hmm...It also says "a minimum of three full wraps on pipe up to 1 in." I hadn't noticed that originally, and only did 1-1/2 wraps. It's still holding fine, though.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'RHopkinson' for this post:
Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

Teflon Tape is almost a universal sealant.
http://www.sealtape.com/ptfe_white.html
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post: