I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1600 Series Motorcycles > K-1600GT/GTL > "K1600GT/GTL" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Do you have the Squeak
Yes I do have the squeak 32 36.78%
No I do not have the squeak 55 63.22%
Voters: 87. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Getting up to speed

Front fork squeak, do you have it?

Over on the K1600 forum there is a lot of talk about a squeak in the front of the K1600's see this video for what it sounds like. Video of the squeak, not my bike

No way to put a poll on the K1600 site so I am putting one up here.

Bill in STockton
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bill harr' for this post:
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Front fork squeak, do you have it?

Sorry, don't have a K16 but the demo I rode did not have "the squeak", so I voted "no".
Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Yes I have the squeak, just as in the example. My squeak starts when the engine has warmed and can be heard even when wearing ear plugs when off the throttle. Most annoying . Interestingly I first noticed it with around 7000 miles (uk) on the clock, I have tried different suspension modes but the squeak is still there. I did ride it down to the dealership for them to have a listen, they isolated the problem to the front spring and commented that the squeak was quite loud, other than that there was no comment.
The mother ship is booked into the workshop tomorrow (Wednesday 29th) for a replacement right controller, hopefully they will also be looking into the squeak and the alarm battery warning light that comes on, after the diagnostics have completed on initial start up.
It is spoiling an otherwise fantastic machine.
2010 K1300gt se
2009 Yamaha xjr 1300
2000 K100rt
1980 -2000 Family Man
1978 R80/7
1977 R45
1976 Suzuki gt380
1975 Triton 650
1973 Yamaha 250
1971 Suzuki 125
Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Just a quick update, Shock absober being removed from the front suspension, in an attempt to try to trace the squeak. I did asked the dealership to instigate a PUMA for the front end squeak, when I dropped it off yesterday, so not sure if the removal was prompted by my request or it was something they were going to look at any way. Right switch gear replaced, new alarm unit on order as old unit is faulty.

Who knows, with a bit of luck and a following wind, things are looking up.

I will let you know the outcome.
2010 K1300gt se
2009 Yamaha xjr 1300
2000 K100rt
1980 -2000 Family Man
1978 R80/7
1977 R45
1976 Suzuki gt380
1975 Triton 650
1973 Yamaha 250
1971 Suzuki 125
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

My traded in blue GTL had that squeek. It not as bad as the video but there never the less. My dealer didn't have a clue on what was causing it and just sprayed oil all over the fork connections or where any movement was. Didn't get it fixed by time I traded for the silver GTL and so far with over 15K showing, no squeek just yet.

The blue GTL showed over 25k time the squeek showed up and irritated me to death for the remaining miles to the trade. From what I understand the squeek is from the bushings in the fork assembly. Hope the dealers get the knowledge where the squeek is and how to eliminate it. Don't seem to cause a problem riding with the squeek but sure is embarrassing riding a squeaky bike when you hit the bumps in the road!

Problems I've encountered so far has been the water pump, replace six on two GTL's so far, the control assembly left hand was replaced three times on the blue GTL with the silver GTL switch still going strong. A non mechanical problem of eating rear tires every five to six thousand miles would be a major concern that I wish BMW or the tire manufacturers would address so a traveller could make over 6K without having to worry about buying a new tire on a trip.

Still don't belive I'd trade my newest GTL off for another model or brand. However I do feel a bit ignorant knowing the problems of the GTL and being on my second GTL!

RWarden
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,221 Posts

The K1200RS had a squeak also. It was the lower bolt in the front shock. At one time it was recommended to remove the bolt every 6000 miles and put some neverseize on it. That was a fix.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:56 AM
Twisted Wrister

My new Dell desktop had a squeak. I finally traced it to the mouse.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'mcchoc' for this post:
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Shooting the gap

I voted no squeak in the poll however, I was just riding today and I noticed the squeak.

I've got 7500 miles right now and this week it's just starting to make itself apparent.

2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Twisted Wrister

Send a message via AIM to RandomWalker Send a message via MSN to RandomWalker

I voted no...at 2,200 miles. Hope I don't start squeaking.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalker
I voted no...at 2,200 miles. Hope I don't start squeaking.

Hope you don't either! However my first GTL had close to 20,000 on it when I noticed the squeak and nothing was done except spraying oil on any suspected parts which works to a degree. My GTL now started squeaking, loudly, at 18,000 miles, or that's when I noticed it which would have been difficult not to have heard it since the radio couldn't over come the squeak!

I think Grassroots told me that they'd had about a half dozen complaints but none would squeak when brought into the shop. However since you could hear my bike squeaking about a half a block down the road, they didn't have much problems diagnosing what was squeaking and what wasn't.

Missed today's appointment for the 18K service and the repair for the squeak due to rain yesterday morning but suppose to go in next Thursday and have it all repaired and back on the road.

Saw a post about if anyone used a pressure washer or not before noticing the squeak and after a short thought I realized that I'd used a pressure washer at the car wash just a week prior to having the squeak on this GTL. Don't know if that would possibally be the cause but all the front end components are suppose to be weather proof anyways! Just a thought.

Keep us informed should you notice a squeak and watch for blue splashes on your windscreen as well as the heat shield under the pump for leaks. The blue GTL had its fifth water pump on it the last time I ride it and my silver GTL had its first replacement at 10,325 miles and again needing a new on here at 18,000 miles.

Maybe you'll be lucky and not have those problems!

Ride safe or at least ride fun!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RWarden' for this post:
Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Anyone interested in removing the lower shock bolt and greasing (neversieze) it to see if that is the culprit?
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:46 PM

In at least one reported case, a K1600 owner related that the front end was taken apart on his bike in an effort to locate the source of the squeak. When they pulled it apart they discovered that the ball joint was worn out of spec. This tells me there is potential for more than just a "squeak" in the bolt or bushings going on here. Quite possibly the squeak is coming from the ball joint and the lube that people are spraying about on the front end is just working its way into the joint quieting things down for a while. I know this much, there was no pressure washing done on my GTL prior to the appearence of the squeak and that was at 4000 some odd miles. Hmmmmmmm.....
Rick
Old 09-22-2012, 06:59 PM

That is interesting. The shock has evolved in quality. The old RS is just a rubber bushing with a steel liner tube the mount bolt goes through.
S1000R
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H.
In at least one reported case, a K1600 owner related that the front end was taken apart on his bike in an effort to locate the source of the squeak. When they pulled it apart they discovered that the ball joint was worn out of spec. This tells me there is potential for more than just a "squeak" in the bolt or bushings going on here. Quite possibly the squeak is coming from the ball joint and the lube that people are spraying about on the front end is just working its way into the joint quieting things down for a while. I know this much, there was no pressure washing done on my GTL prior to the appearence of the squeak and that was at 4000 some odd miles. Hmmmmmmm.....
Rick

Thanks for the post Rick, at least it seems that using a pressure washer isn't the cause. Squirting oils or other lubes is only masking the symptom temporally and isn't a fix. I've always thought when something starts squeaking there's a part failure that's going to do nothing except get worse until its replaced.

Hope Grassroots' diagnosis is correct and the squeak is fixed. But makes me wonder even after being fixed or replaced, is the squeak going to be a on going problem since its being fixed with similar parts that have already failed from stock?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Getting up to speed

Just crossed 14k miles, no squeak here.

New BMW guy
12/1600GLT
1500 Vulcan
750 FZR
600 Katana
400 CBR
Honda mini 50
Old 10-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Shooting the gap

My dealer shot lube several times and the squeak returned after just a few miles.

Now they have approval from BMW to replace the front shock. So, my bike sits and waits while I wait for a shock from Germany.

7800 miles with 1 water pump replacement and lots of squeaks.

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Nothing here, but always wear high db plugs. Also think with 7000 miles that it will take a little longer if that issue is going to surface on my K16. (ergo voted "no")

Hmmm - let's see a bit more than 7000 miles for the "squeek" to show-up; and, then 10,000 for the appearance of the "blue fluid" if the consensus on these two on the forum are within expectations!

Miles
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Miles_Miller' for this post:
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzglyd
My dealer shot lube several times and the squeak returned after just a few miles.

Now they have approval from BMW to replace the front shock. So, my bike sits and waits while I wait for a shock from Germany.

7800 miles with 1 water pump replacement and lots of squeaks.

Buz

Grassroots BMW exchanged the bushings at the top and bottom of the shock and its ended my squeak at the moment with close to 2K after the repair. One of the parts was labeled "silencer" and was the top bushing if memory serves me right.
I don't think that the problem is in the shock? Call Grassroots and see what they've been told by BMW what the fix is. Knock on wood I'm not hearing the squeak return so far.

From what I've heard concerning the pump, BMW has finally realized that there is a problem but since they're working on getting the pump issue corrected, they're supposedly not authorizing (not paying the shop for labor) the replacement of the pump until their correction can be shipped. I've got my third pump in 21,000 miles after being po'ed when told that I couldn't have my pump replaced under warranty. It's sure not the owner's fault that their water pumps are a piece of crap and sitting the bike in the garage waiting on the new replacement sure isn't an option.

With the third pump on my silver GTL and five pumps on ole blue in the ten months and 50,600 miles I rode it, I'd figured that BMW would have already made their supplier retool the pump for reliability! With only a little over 13,000 miles left on my warranty I don't know what BMW will do replacing pumps until this new improved pump is out on the street.

Sounds like your shop is dragging their feet getting the shock in for you. Surely they know that if they "VOR'ed" your order they could have gotten it in next day shipment. Of course that's a 6% increase in cost for the over night delivery of the part, but from what you and I've paid to ride the GTL it shouldn't be a issue to VOR any part to get the bikes back on the road!

Good luck and be sure to post if replacing the shock cures the squeak or not. I'd still call grassroots and talk to Brian, service manager, or Mike, the mechanic that's been servicing my bike, and pick their brains concerning the squeak. At 18,000 miles my squeak developed loud enough I could hear it over the motor and stereo. Lucky or unlucky enough the squeak stayed so they could hear it, in person as well as over the phone when I first called to report it. Plus not failing to mention close to a thousand miles to diagnosis and then do the fix to cure it. Hope you live closer to your dealer than I do.

"VOR" are three letters every BMW owner ought to know, remember, and insist on when dealing with warranty parts that need replacing. There's no need to have to hole up waiting on parts to come in for days or even weeks instead of being out riding!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Shooting the gap

"VOR" are three letters every BMW owner ought to know, remember, and insist on when dealing with warranty parts that need replacing. There's no need to have to hole up waiting on parts to come in for days or even weeks instead of being out riding!"

I hear you there!

To their credit, my dealer has been very apologetic and my case is a PUMA case, whatever that stands for.

My squeak came on about 7000 and it is LOUD. It will squeak even when the bike isn't rolling.

The dealer had its Octoberfest event over the weekend. I made sure I rolled up on my loud ass Harley to say hi to everyone.

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Well she's home again sans squeak.

Thankfully, my dealer is nearby.

The PUMA case is still open and realistically, no one can say what's causing it. The weather is cooler now and she rides like a dream.

I'll keep riding until the squeak returns.

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Got bad news, the repair of the bushings due to the famous squeak lasted only 2,600 miles before it returned. Apparently the "scliencer bushing" is made worse than the original since the original lasted 18,000 miles!

Not only dealing with the return of the squeak but I've still have a antifreeze leak from somewhere, blue flecks of dried antifreeze on my windscreen as well as on me. I'm being splattered by what misses the shield and can feel the liquid on my face and arms, stinging in my eyes, and can even taste antifreeze occasionally! No visible leak any place and on the bike's third water pump that was replaced after less than 10,500 miles with a total of 23,000 miles on the bike.

Think its either time to start replacing parts to try to eliminate the antifreeze leak. Don't know what they'll be able to do for the squeek. On top of all those problems, just discovered that the bike used just over half a quart of oil in less than 2,500 miles under normal riding two up on a road trip. Don't have enough luggage space for normal clothing and toiletries plus having to carry extra oil, antifreeze and tools all the time.

Ill be calling GrassRoots this morning to see what actions they'll suggest to get the bike up to the standards it's suppose to be. If I'm put off and they are reluctant to replace the radiator and rings my next option will be envoking actions within Arkansas' lemon law.

I really hate that the GTL isn't as reliable as BMW advertises, I still am impressed with its performance other than all its problems stated above.

My experience with the GTL has me wondering what color GW I'd want. There isn't a way that I'd start out on another long road trip and after putting up with tasting, feeling the antifreeze not failing to mention getting antifreeze in my eyes!

Call me foolish for trading for a new GTL in June this year after similar problems with my first GTL, but with the problems mentioned, plus the left hand pull, I'm still impressed with the handling and performance in the twisties. I did the trade thinking that a newer (date manufactured) bike wouldn't have the same issues as my first GTL but this bike has more!

If only BMW would get the bike fixed and restore its reliability I'd be a happy camper but DAMN I think Honda might be better in the long run for the money!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM

RL: Sorry to hear that the squeak has returned on your GTL. I wonder if the noise is really just bushing related or if it is somehow the result of another problem that exists in the front end and the bushings just mask or cover it up for a while. I always think back to the one K1600 owner that posted his dealer found defective ball joints when they went looking for the source of the squeak. Does your GTL have the infamous front end pull? Wouldn't it be ironic if this whole front end squeak and front end pull where related to one cause??? It strikes me odd that the K1600 can have two entirely different problems in the front end going on at the same time.

Regarding your coolant leak, do you see any evidence of a leak on the radiator itself? I would think there would have to be some kind of residual coolant on the bike if it is getting in the air and hitting you. That is a strange one indeed.

Good luck with your dealer and BMWNA on this one. Keep us informed of what takes place.

Rick
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Sorry for the quick second post on the same reply, but I see RL you do have an issue with your bike pulling. This makes me wonder if something else isn't going on with these bikes, but it would take a lot more research on my hunch.

Rick
Old 10-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
RL: Sorry to hear that the squeak has returned on your GTL. I wonder if the noise is really just bushing related or if it is somehow the result of another problem that exists in the front end and the bushings just mask or cover it up for a while. I always think back to the one K1600 owner that posted his dealer found defective ball joints when they went looking for the source of the squeak. Does your GTL have the infamous front end pull? Wouldn't it be ironic if this whole front end squeak and front end pull where related to one cause??? It strikes me odd that the K1600 can have two entirely different problems in the front end going on at the same time.

Regarding your coolant leak, do you see any evidence of a leak on the radiator itself? I would think there would have to be some kind of residual coolant on the bike if it is getting in the air and hitting you. That is a strange one indeed.

Good luck with your dealer and BMWNA on this one. Keep us informed of what takes place.

Rick

Rick
That's half the problem concerning the antifreeze leak, there's no residue anywhere that can be seen upon inspection. If only there was a spot that you could point out I'm sure the fix would be a easy one.

With antifreeze showing up on the front of the windshield has me thinking radiator since there's no residue evident on any surfaces. First thought that the resivoure was over filled but that was ruled out when I had to put close to six ounces into what appeared to be a empty resivoure upon completion of a 2,600 mile road trip. My mechanic had drawn a line on the resivoure when he looked for leaks prior to going on my last trip.

Similarly I had the bike under go its 18,000 mile service with just over 20,000 miles on the odometer (delay due to rain and distance to the dealer) and knew that the oil was at its correct level. Actually had the dash say that the oil level was "OK" when I checked the other afternoon while riding and then within the hour a "Check Oil" warning came on. The dip stick was dry and I put in just over 3/4 qt of oil to bring the level back to under max on the dipstick.

If I'd been treating the bike badly, burnouts, drag racing, extended low speed in traffic, or riding in a lower gear than what was needed I could understand the oil usage but riding two up and pulling a small cargo trailer keeps you from putting the bike to its best performance as far as speed goes. Felt like I babied it the whole trip, especially since I rode the Skyline Drive to its beginning to end and the Blue Ridge Parkway from start to finish with their 45mph speed limits. Sure cant say I was riding too fast!

If these issues can't be rectified here shortly guess I'll become the new owner of a Honda GoldWing to keep from using up my warranty riding back and forth to the shop getting pumps and all replaced or simply looked at by the mechanic to no avail.

I'd really hate to give up on the GTL but its come to the point that I no longer trust the GTL's ability to tour with. My old 1974 900/R never had any problems now or while putting over 125,000 miles on it with normal service.

BMW's aren't suppose to leak antifreeze, have a suspension squeek, have faulty water pumps nor control switches and pulling to the left! At least their reputation in the past wasn't in question like the GTL and other new manufactured bikes are.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Shooting the gap

My squeak is now gone. The dealer didn't really have an explanation for why it appeared or disappeared.

BMW has authorized replacement of the entire front shock should the issue return.

I just cruised through 8000 miles yesterday "squeak less."

Oh, and happy birthday to my blue GTL. She's One!

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzglyd
My squeak is now gone. The dealer didn't really have an explanation for why it appeared or disappeared.

BMW has authorized replacement of the entire front shock should the issue return.

I just cruised through 8000 miles yesterday "squeak less."

Oh, and happy birthday to my blue GTL. She's One!

Buz

Wished I could say I'd gone 8,000 with still no squeek but it returned after a mer 2,600 miles after the two day visit at the shop when I trailered it the 150 miles and had my wife drive me to pick it up the following day. That warranty repair cost me close to two hundred dollars just for the fuel driving both vehicles not mentioning the 18 hours I spent on the road and at the shop concerning two of the forementioned issues.

Just off the phone to the shop and mechanic and was told that they'd submit a PUMA on the issues. It'll take a couple days for them to hear anything back from BMW. Again I wait on word and a possible fix.

Was told that the shop has only had one other owner with pump problems and once replaced they hadn't heard anything else. With that said I reminded the shop and mechanic that my first GTL was on its fifth pump last time I drove it and on my third on the new GTL within 20,000 miles. Now with 23,250 I'm plagued with antifreeze problems, past water pump issues and now something about its oil consumption. 3/4 qt of oil since service and the 22,850 miles (around 2,500 miles since servicing) isn't what I'd think was normal nor expected from any BMW!

Ill agree with you in thinking its the radiator since no residue is found anywhere upon inspection. Thankfully I thought to check the antifreeze and oil levels Saturday or I might have burnt an engine. Other than being stranded away from the house, at this point a blown engine under warranty might have been what I needed but I sure didn't or don't need the hassle having its engine and coolant system replaced.

Once I find out what BMW says and have the recommended repairs completed, ill be sure to repost to say what was found and replaced.

With the history of my first GTL and all its problems and now this bike with the same issues plus one, I'm beginning to taste a lemon. Especially since few others are having the same complaints.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My squeaky front end was very loud, so much others can hear me coming, squeak started at around 8500 miles and got progressivly noisier at 13,000 miles, i was on the road for 5 weeks touring and had no time to take this issue to the dealor so i sprayed silicon and the noise dissapeared for now, any way ill be addressing this with the dealor next year.
seems i remember no noise within the first couple hours and very noisy 4-10 hours in the saddle. FYI
Old 10-27-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWarden
Buz

Wished I could say I'd gone 8,000 with still no squeek but it returned after a mer 2,600 miles after the two day visit at the shop when I trailered it the 150 miles and had my wife drive me to pick it up the following day. That warranty repair cost me close to two hundred dollars just for the fuel driving both vehicles not mentioning the 18 hours I spent on the road and at the shop concerning two of the forementioned issues.

Just off the phone to the shop and mechanic and was told that they'd submit a PUMA on the issues. It'll take a couple days for them to hear anything back from BMW. Again I wait on word and a possible fix.

Was told that the shop has only had one other owner with pump problems and once replaced they hadn't heard anything else. With that said I reminded the shop and mechanic that my first GTL was on its fifth pump last time I drove it and on my third on the new GTL within 20,000 miles. Now with 23,250 I'm plagued with antifreeze problems, past water pump issues and now something about its oil consumption. 3/4 qt of oil since service and the 22,850 miles (around 2,500 miles since servicing) isn't what I'd think was normal nor expected from any BMW!

Ill agree with you in thinking its the radiator since no residue is found anywhere upon inspection. Thankfully I thought to check the antifreeze and oil levels Saturday or I might have burnt an engine. Other than being stranded away from the house, at this point a blown engine under warranty might have been what I needed but I sure didn't or don't need the hassle having its engine and coolant system replaced.

Once I find out what BMW says and have the recommended repairs completed, ill be sure to repost to say what was found and replaced.

With the history of my first GTL and all its problems and now this bike with the same issues plus one, I'm beginning to taste a lemon. Especially since few others are having the same complaints.

Just got a call from the shop, a new radiator will be installed this Tuesday and I hope to pick up my bike this comming Wednesday.

When I asked about its oil consumption, over a quart in 2,300 miles, I was informed that a quart every thousand miles is within normal operational limits! Guess if I'm planning a long road trip similar to the one I took in August of 9,050 miles I'll need to plan on taking nine to ten quarts of oil along with me! BS!

Any vehicle that I own that uses that much oil normally I'd be thinking of having the motor overhauled or just sell it to a unexpecting new owner and relent in buying a Goldwing.
Four trips to the shop, 1,200 miles off my warranty, the hours spent on the road trying to have the problems fixed, and not mentioning the cost of fuel and now the additional cost and space the extra oil I'll need sure limits the luggage I can take on any trip or become familiar with all the BMW shops on my route to purchase needed oil! Hate to say but now thinking of not keeping a eye on the oil level and let the bike burn the motor while still under the remaining warranty.

Can't fanthom ruining a engine on purpose but if BMW says its normal, I hope exchanging motors at 30,000 miles should be expected inky instance.
Has anyone else have the similar problems of: squeaking front end, leaking radiators, three replacement water pumps on a NEW bike?

Actually have given thought of trading in my three month GTL for another but the demo they gave me to ride,2013 model, is leaking from the radiator as well with less than 1,000 miles on it not failing to mention the possible oil consumption to boot! Sure makes me wonder about the GTL's road worthyness and the requirement of carrying extra antifreeze and oil instead of luggage!

My previous GTL that had 50,600 miles at ten months wasn't using any oil but it did have the same ole problems with its five water pumps, three controller switch assemblies, and leaking radiator sorta makes me want the older bike back.

However I have noticed that the demo doesn't have the hard left hand pull that ole blue had as well as the new silver one has. Guess the left pull is another normal operation god the GTL?

Actually was thinking on seeing about a trade for the demo but I do belive I've had enough trips to the shop when nothing is repaired due to BMWNA says things like this are normal for their bikes? Don't think my trading ideals after having two bikes in a row with what I consider major problems would be very smart of me.
Goldwings seem to be my next bike if my BMW continues to leak antifreeze and burn oil at the rate its dissapearing.

Sorry for being off topic with this post but thought some riders would rather be informed than having the nonfixable, expensive bikes.

Saw a motorrad post on Facebook where they've set up their new GS for water coolant ruining the dependability of their flagship GS! I'd thought I'd not mind having another airhead but there's no way I'd want a new water cooled GS and all the similar problems I've experienced with the two GTLs I've owned within the past year and three months.

Odd that my ole 1974 900/R doesn't use any oil between servicing! Either a new Goldwing is in my future or ill resort to riding a antique bike that's been reliable over the years!

Always thought that the newer models had the reliability that once made BMW the best road bike offered? Can you tell that I'm about to become a Goldwing owner/rider?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Well the oil burning in many BMW bikes is common, Ive had 3 new ones all the same consume oil till 15000 - 24000 miles is quite normal, Long engine life is a quaility of BMW design,, I look at this way the good (Engine longevtivity life) goes with the bad (early oil consumption during ring seating).
Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Odd that my ole 1974 900/R doesn't use any oil between servicing! Either a new Goldwing is in my future or ill resort to riding a antique bike that's been reliable over the years!

Always thought that the newer models had the reliability that once made BMW the best road bike offered? Can you tell that I'm about to become a Goldwing owner/rider?

Apples to oranges I suppose but I had a 2004 RT (twin spark) 1150 that you could swear that it was a two stroke, it used so much oil. Bike's long gone but now I have an 08 GSA and it doesn't use a drop. Go figure...same engine configuration.

Don't get me started on first year model reliability...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Wow!!! A quart of oil in 1,000 miles is "NORMAL"??? So let me understand the technical side of this.....my K1600 burns, leaks, or otherwise uses one quart of oil every 1,000 miles and that is acceptable. So at the "acceptable" rate of usage I quite possibly would never need to go in for an oil change! All I would need to do is stop in at the dealership and show them the receipts for oil that I have purchased every 1,000 miles and ask them to spin on a new oil filter at 6,000 miles. How cool is that!!! Nawww we don't need no stinkin' oil change just put a new filter on and I'm outta here. Can it possibily get any worse than this??? Answer=YES! Wait until the new WasserBoxer hits the streets. Who do you think is gonna have priority at the dealership with a problem? The guy with a K1600 that is using a little oil? Or the guy with a 2013 primo WasserBoxer with coolant running out of the muffler? I think you all know the answer to that one.......gotta love it!

We haven't got any of the real issues taken care of with the K1600 and just like majic another "new" BMW is released. I can only hope the development, testing and parts procurement is handled in a much better fashion with the new water cooled Boxer than what was and is being done with the K1600. Sure as God made little green apples the emphasis will be on the WasserBoxer because that REALLY is the flagship motorcycle for BMW numbers wise. Time will tell but if I was a betting man...........

Rick
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcrave
Well the oil burning in many BMW bikes is common, Ive had 3 new ones all the same consume oil till 15000 - 24000 miles is quite normal, Long engine life is a quaility of BMW design,, I look at this way the good (Engine longevtivity life) goes with the bad (early oil consumption during ring seating).

I'd think that after 23,000 miles the rings should be well seated? Ill Deffinatly keep a eye on this issue.

I like the post of only changing oil filters in six thousand miles. No need pouring out new oil that's waiting to be burnt! Think ill ask the service manager about that Wednesday when I go to pick my bike up.

Meanwhile I'll just put more miles on the shop's demo!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Taking my GT in for a front shock replacement, in the morning. I will document with pictures to see what the problem looks like. My shock quit squeaking after it cooled down this fall. Took 3 months to get the shock also! Hope it helps next summer,the shock still has the same part number,just hope it was made better.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhahn
Taking my GT in for a front shock replacement, in the morning. I will document with pictures to see what the problem looks like. My shock quit squeaking after it cooled down this fall. Took 3 months to get the shock also! Hope it helps next summer,the shock still has the same part number,just hope it was made better.

Hope you have better luck dealing with stopping the squeek. Had my front suspension redone on my GTL back in the early fall with 18,000 miles on the bike and now with 28,500 miles the squeek has returned! Seems BMW isn't trying too hard to fix this annoyance on their "top road bike" not failing to mention their problems dealing with defective water pumps too.
Maybe this year they'll run out of the defective parts and a cure will be figured out edventually!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I feel like a winner I got the squeak today!!! 7300 miles. Are there any updates for a fix?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerturbo
I feel like a winner I got the squeak today!!! 7300 miles. Are there any updates for a fix?

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

I just kept taking mine back until it stopped squeaking.

They were planning to replace the front shock assembly when the squeak quit squeaking.

2006 Yamaha Vino 125
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Just had the second squeak at 42,xxx miles on my GTL replaced the "H" stealing assembly and have recently heard the squeak again at 47,xxx miles after having the exchange completed at 45,xxx miles last month. Grassroots has a puma to BMW about it now and waiting on their reply. Hopefully BMW will be able to figure this annoyance out and make a fix for it. Of course I'm still waiting on a new water pump to replace the original pumps. I've replaced over a dozen pumps on two GTLs in the past two years with just a few miles under 100K on the two and over 18 rear tires to boot. Seems like the GTL is a expensive bike to ride time you figure in all the trips to the shop for pumps, squeaks, switch assemblies and tire replacement, plus normal service for oil and computer up dates. I often feel ignorant when dealing with the few problems I've had in the past two years with two GTLs but I've not seen another brand or model I'd rather ride!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Like a mouse on crack!!!!!!!!!

The noise went away after some wd got sprayed on the coil spring but came right back..
Dealer repolaced a $1400 shock this week and so far so good but I'm not replacing this thing every 12k at what will be my $2000 some day....

New bike every 30k or maybe back to a jap ride... See K1600 technical Q n A forum for squeak and engine miss fire blog,,,,,

Miss fire is still unresolved....Capn Steve
Old 07-29-2013, 04:38 AM

I voted no on behalf of the family K1600 owner.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Just had the second squeak at 42,xxx miles on my GTL replaced the "H" stealing assembly and have recently heard the squeak again at 47,xxx miles after having the exchange completed at 45,xxx miles last month. Grassroots has a puma to BMW about it now and waiting on their reply. Hopefully BMW will be able to figure this annoyance out and make a fix for it. Of course I'm still waiting on a new water pump to replace the original pumps. I've replaced over a dozen pumps on two GTLs in the past two years with just a few miles under 100K on the two and over 18 rear tires to boot. Seems like the GTL is a expensive bike to ride time you figure in all the trips to the shop for pumps, squeaks, switch assemblies and tire replacement, plus normal service for oil and computer up dates. I often feel ignorant when dealing with the few problems I've had in the past two years with two GTLs but I've not seen another brand or model I'd rather ride!

Like I said before Mr. Warden, you have the patience of a saint.....

Rick
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Like I said before Mr. Warden, you have the patience of a saint.....

Rick

Thanks but don't know how much of a saint, at least without talking to the dealers I've talked to during my ownership of two GTLs. I'm sure a couple would say I'm a bit pushy it they've only had to deal with me being on the road and needing a pump or a tire. Working on over 101,xxx at present. Wish BMW offered a three year unlimited warranty along with the better bike!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks but don't know how much of a saint, at least without talking to the dealers I've talked to during my ownership of two GTLs. I'm sure a couple would say I'm a bit pushy it they've only had to deal with me being on the road and needing a pump or a tire. Working on over 101,xxx at present. Wish BMW offered a three year unlimited warranty along with the better bike!

Rick
Old 05-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have the 2013 k1600gtl after 9500 miles squeaking so bad neighbors complained bout me coming down the street. I could sit still and push down on handle bars and you could hear it. I got caught in the rain about 60 miles from home and after a wet ride I parked the bike in garage. Next day took it to work and the squeak disappeared. I just hope it doesn't com back.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Sorry, but if your bike is like my 2012 GTL my guess is the squeak WILL return. The water you went thru is acting as a lubricant for the squeak and as soon as the bike dries out good the squeak will pull a Douglas MacArthur......it will return.

Rick
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick H.' for this post:
Old 05-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I've ridden around 2000 miles and the squeak hasn't returned. Reading this thread with people talking about pressure washing their bikes(I haven't done that) I stopped using the soap for cars and now use only a splash of dish soap and a little more elbow grease. I simply don't know if milder soap solved the problem but I do know the squeak is gone
Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bill, I'm new to the site and the forum and the growing community of K1600 owners. Just bought a used one from a private owner with 30,000 miles on it and during the test ride, it seemed fine. Now I've discovered that it too has the dreaded "squeak" that many are complaining about. Mine is a 2012. As I read over the posts on the subject, the culprit can be anything from a fork assembly to a fork bushing to a front shock bolt, to the front spring, to the ball joint wearing out of tolerances. Is there anything definitive on the subject so I can point my BMW dealer in the right direction.

Also, there seems to be a lot of water pump failures. Should I get mine changed as a precaution, assuming the one I have is original equipment? Any insights from you or others would be greatly appreciated. I did buy an extended warranty.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Well, my front shock was replaced some 7k ago and I'm listening closely for it's return. I expect it will need renewed again at say,,, 25-30,000 miles. Good thing is the replacement part will come with a 2 year warranty.
Speaking of warranty,,,, I wasn't going to own this machine w/o one so a new bike was planned for 2015. After crunching the numbers to replace my 2012,,, I have found I can get a pretty comprehensive extended service plan for about 10% of the cost to replace the whole bike. Unfortunately, it will not cover a shock as it's deemed a wear and tear part but it will do a good job on everything else we all have heard of and a couple scary repairs I've seen underway at my local dealer.

ALERT!!!!! about the low end miss fire!!!!! After taking the bike in several times including a 2 week drop off all the way across the state of Florida to my selling dealer where this complaint was just a mystery they say they never duplicated,,,, it was found during my 18k service. The tech who wasn't aware of my prior complaint was able to shed some light on this issue when I asked if the plugs showed him anything strangle. Five looked like slightly used clean out of the box and #1 cyl plugged looked completely rusted liked it had lived in a water soaked tackle box on the back of an old fishing boat. In fact the coil and plugs had been swimming in water. A new plug and what i hope was a little TLC on the coil boot seemed to have corrected this. If it returns ,,, my dealer knows I'm not leaving his door w/o a new coil next time.

Capn Steve
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Well, I have just returned from the dealers, the second time the front end squeak has been resolved.
After an extensive search looking for the source of the squeak the guys at the work shop found the cause.
The culprit in this instance was the fender extender yes, I said fender extender!
Apparently under load the extender had been rubbing on the plastic radiator spine, causing the squeak. At first it was hard to believe but having looked at the evidence it was plain to see, the wear on the rear of the fender extender and also wear on the plastic rib in front of the radiator grill. They removed the extender from the mud guard the squeak was no more: result! Many thanks to the guys at the dealers for investigating the squeak so thoroughly.

So If you have a fender extender fitted to your K1600 check it out for scuff marks where it protrudes from the original fender, look for wear on the ribs of the plastic spine protecting the radiator grill, also check to see if the lowest point of the extender has been rubbing on the tyre. If you have a front fender extender with wear marks as described and an unexplained squeak coming from the front end this may be the cause. Silence is golden.
2010 K1300gt se
2009 Yamaha xjr 1300
2000 K100rt
1980 -2000 Family Man
1978 R80/7
1977 R45
1976 Suzuki gt380
1975 Triton 650
1973 Yamaha 250
1971 Suzuki 125
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Alex789: Not only am I pleased they forum your noise, but I am really surprised at the cause of the noise. Is there any way you can post some pics of the involved parts? I would be interested to see what was causing this horrendous noise,

Rick
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi Rick H,
Not as surprised as I was.
photo of the radiator dirt deflector, if you look at the third and forth rib down from the top you can see where the fender extender had been rubbing.
photo of fender extender, showing the scuff marks where it had been rubbing on the dirt deflector.
other photo showing wear against tyre.
So as the fender extender was rubbing against the dirt deflector on the uneven road surfaces and was making a squeaky noise, which incidentally could be heard over the bikes intercom by her who should be obeyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg from the top,wear on 3rd and 4th spine 2014-08-23.jpg (126.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg scuff marks 2014-08-23.jpg (99.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-23.jpg (122.3 KB, 31 views)
2010 K1300gt se
2009 Yamaha xjr 1300
2000 K100rt
1980 -2000 Family Man
1978 R80/7
1977 R45
1976 Suzuki gt380
1975 Triton 650
1973 Yamaha 250
1971 Suzuki 125
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the pics Alex789. I haven't had the noise on my 2013...yet, but I don't have a fender extender on it. I don't think I had the extender on my 2012 GTL and that one did develop the noise. Either way it's great that they could track down what the cause was on yours. I don't think they will all be quite as easy to figure out but who knows....

Rick
Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Yes, my 2011 K1600 gt had the squeak, this was put down to the front ball joint, which the dealers replaced. I also had a few other problems with the 2011 model such as 3 water pumps, left hand switch gear, right hand switch gear! However putting these problems to one side, I still loved the bike - so much so that after being offered a good part exchange deal, I bought the 2013 model with all the bells and whistles to GTL specifications.
So far apart from having 'the squeak' twice with this model, I've not had many issues. The first squeak appeared at around 5000 miles, I got it sorted when the bike went in for its 6000 mile service in March. The front suspension was lubricated - not sure where - but it cured it until July when we went on our annual European tour. The squeak started again whilst fully loaded but with single rider (she who must be obeyed rides her own F800ST). However, this time the squeak is down to the fender extender as reported.
Love the bike, it's brilliant, but just 'the shine' has been taken off a bit by these annoyances.
2010 K1300gt se
2009 Yamaha xjr 1300
2000 K100rt
1980 -2000 Family Man
1978 R80/7
1977 R45
1976 Suzuki gt380
1975 Triton 650
1973 Yamaha 250
1971 Suzuki 125
Old 11-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

i have a 2013 GTL and have just starting noticing the "squeak". called the dealership in Tampa, Fl. Service manager said he was not familiar with the problem! seems like there is plenty written on this forum about it and many who say their dealer is well aware also. may try the silicone spray myself and see what happens. no fender extension on my bike for an easy fix. unfortunately, my closest service center is more than 100mi away. i really love the bike, but won't put up with this kind of problem long and won't replace it with another liker it!
Old 11-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Yes Ive had mine appear to start squeaking 6 months after receiving my k1600gtl on 11/11/2011, kinda embarrassing for such a high end bike, BMW has there head up their but on some things...FYI... a great bike for me other wise, with no issues at 35000 miles and i do all my own service work..as well...seem as if when it goes to the dealer problems start arising??
Lots of threads on this issue, I simply fired my dealer and sprayed silicon on all the front end joints and it seem to last the summer...I guess the type of urethane they are using has this ongoing squeak issue i thought was resolved,
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Roadcrave' for this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

hate to sound "simple" but several post mention Grassroots. is that a dealer somewhere? also, what is a PUMA(i presume not the big cat!) and a VOR?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:41 AM

Steve: Not sure on the Grassroots question but I believe it is a dealership somewhere. Re the PUMA question, that's what a dealer starts on your behalf to find out what the Mothership wants or cares to do with a problem you are having. In simplistic terms, it's the start of a factory investigation into a customer complaint or problem.

Rick
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick H.' for this post:
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Getting up to speed

No, actually very little malfunction on my 2012
Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Entering the on-ramp

my 2013 GTL developed the squeak at about 7000 mi. one dealer, Tampa, said he had never heard of the problem, despite it being all over the forums. Dealer in Daytona, where purchased, was familiar. He said BMW knew of the problem and required him to relubricate the forks before changing them out. he did this and squeak has abated for now, at 10,850 mi.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

At 43,000kms now and NO squeak on my 01/13 build GT.
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Aloha,

I voted that I have it. But yesterday I got rid of it. For how long, who knows????? It started at around 17K miles, first starting after riding for a few minutes as things warmed up. Then it began to show up sooner and get louder. It seemed to be coming from where the trailing arm between the handle bar and forks joined the forks. I sprayed Loctite Silicone Lubricant on all the areas of the front suspension that move and afterwards no squeak. For how long????

Lucas
'09 K1300S Lava Orange sweet......