I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Awaiting the verdict...

...from the insurance company after the dealer repair estimate.

On Wednesday afternoon, my Motorsports 2015 and I were taken out by an older Dodge 2500 4x4 pickup that ran a stop sign. Yeah, I think the brush guard outweighed me & the bike. They caught the left pannier, sending it ~20' away and spinning me hard onto the ground & curb on the right side. After 11 years and 100k miles of untested ATGATT, it paid off and I didn't have a scratch or bruise. Gotta love wearing armored dead cow.

The bike is now at the dealership, getting a repair estimate. Then we'll see what MY insurance says (since the at fault party didn't have insurance). After pricing cosmetics & parts online, my fear is the bike will be totaled, which begs the question- what can replace it since the SPORT touring market is gone? Of well, lets not think about that now...
Old 04-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Re: Awaiting the verdict...

Glad you’re OK!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:20 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,207 Times in 551 Posts

Bad luck but at least you are in one piece and unharmed. If you need to replace it then buy a newer K13!
Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Glad you are okay and if the insurance company totals the bike there are some really nice very low mileage late model K1300S's out there.

Take your time don't jump at the first thing you see.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Site Contributor

Glad you are OK. I hope you get your bike situation settled to your satisfaction!

So does the insurance company then go after the uninsured motorist?
I've always wondered that...
Old 04-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,365 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTex
After 11 years and 100k miles of untested ATGATT, it paid off and I didn't have a scratch or bruise. Gotta love wearing armored dead cow.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:21 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Glad you are OK. I hope you get your bike situation settled to your satisfaction!

So does the insurance company then go after the uninsured motorist?
I've always wondered that...

It's pretty much useless to go after the uninsured jackass, I was rear ended October 2016 and my insurance company went after the uninsured motorist that hit me but failed to get any money out of her. Most that drive around without insurance don't have any assets to go after anyway so if you win a judgment against them there's no way to collect anything because they don't have anything. In my opinion those driving uninsured should have their vehicles seized and forfeited if they're involved in an accident. It wouldn't hurt to put their butts in jail for 30 days either.
The following (10) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 03:28 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
After pricing cosmetics & parts online, my fear is the bike will be totaled, which begs the question- what can replace it since the SPORT touring market is gone? Of well, lets not think about that now...

The sport touring market isn't gone, BMW may have abandoned the market but their are still other great bikes to choose from. If I were in your shoes I'd consider the new Kawasaki H2SX SE 200 hp sport tourer or if your obsessed with BMW there are plenty of low mileage K13S bikes on the market. Cross Country Power Sports in NJ has a 2013 K13S with around 1500 miles and Hermys BMW has a 2014 with less than 6000 miles. Or you can do what I did and buy a ZX14R. Great bike and great alternative to the K13S in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Sorry to hear about your (not your fault) accident but glad you're OK.

I say another gently used K13S is in order or perhaps the new R1200RS (if you can stomach the HP drop).

Or if it doesn't have to be a BMW and you don't mind lubing a chain (and can get used to it's fugliness and the color orange):

THIS

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,714 Posts

Good to hear you were not hurt.
Dan has a low mileage 2015 for sale that still has warranty.

http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...warranty&cat=3

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman4
Sorry to hear about your (not your fault) accident but glad you're OK.

I say another gently used K13S is in order or perhaps the new R1200RS (if you can stomach the HP drop).

Or if it doesn't have to be a BMW and you don't mind lubing a chain (and can get used to it's fugliness and the color orange):

Orange. Are you kidding? He lives in Texas, home of the Texas Longhorns. The only place I can think of more into orange is Knoxville, TN. Now the fugliness is another issue.

Glad you weren't hurt. ATGATT.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks guys. We'll see what happens. Maybe they'll get this one back together for me. A low mileage used 13S doesn't sound bad, either. I ride 10k mi/yr and had the 70k extended warrantee on this one, and could always get that on another.

Good options on the other bikes, too. I am not ready for an upright-sitting bike, a heavy touring rig, or dual-sportish looking bike.

As for the KTM, WHAT!?!?! I may be from Texas, but am currently paying my daughter's final semester at in Texas A&M College of Engineering. And I am a Kentucky grad, so UT Knoxville isn't any better. Trust me, there is NO ORANGE in this house!

Be safe, have fun.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JohnTex' for this post:
edl
Old 04-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Shooting the gap

2018's come in "black" with less orange. Less to paint. Maybe make paint the orange accents and frame UK blue?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Two Motorsport Editions located on cycletrader.com. One 2500 miles, one 6200 or so miles:
https://www.cycletrader.com/motorcyc...3A2016&page=1&
Love my '15-picked it up last Summer with 752 miles and still in warranty. They're out there if you decide to replace yours. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Getting up to speed

And the verdict is in! $7k in damages (almost all cosmetic), and it was approved for repair by insurance. So, parts should be on order, and hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be back on the bike every day!

This is actually a good time to be without the bike, as I am taking a trip from TX into the Carolina's, Virginia, etc. next week to properly break-in my new Alfa 4C. Now, when I get back, I'm certain to be calling the dealer regularly for updates (they are 45 miles away, so I can't stop by & pester.

Thanks for the encouragement & ideas!

John
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'JohnTex' for this post:
Old 04-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Shooting the gap

ANyway you can get the money and do the work yourself for fun and profit?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:00 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,207 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
And the verdict is in! $7k in damages (almost all cosmetic), and it was approved for repair by insurance. So, parts should be on order, and hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be back on the bike every day!

This is actually a good time to be without the bike, as I am taking a trip from TX into the Carolina's, Virginia, etc. next week to properly break-in my new Alfa 4C. Now, when I get back, I'm certain to be calling the dealer regularly for updates (they are 45 miles away, so I can't stop by & pester.

Thanks for the encouragement & ideas!

John

Well done. Put up some pics when its back in pristine condition and ready to ride!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Getting up to speed

And I am finally back on the bike!

Things took longer on the repairs, as they found a bit more damage and I was waiting on parts from Germany, apparently. In any case, $9+k later, I rode the bike home from the dealership. It looks and rides great!

I am very safety minded, so decided to e-a-s-e back into riding, after the wreck & being off the bike for a month and a half. Around here, that means I picked it up from the dealership on a weekday afternoon on the hottest day of the year to date, to ride 60 miles across Houston rush hour traffic. Yuck! 2 hours later, and after watching the bikes thermometer show low 100s while parked on 14 lanes of concrete, I made it home.

Things look good after the repairs. They did a good job. I went over the bike carefully that evening, and found no issue. Thankfully, my rides to work and for fun since then have been more fun than the ride home. This also means my 4C is now relieved of "work duty" as I ride the K13 every day. Attached is the only photo I have so far- just home, sweet home!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'JohnTex' for this post:
edl, Lee
Old 05-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Getting up to speed

Having issues with the picture...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Not seeing the light grey (fade) "BMW" decal on the side fairings? Is it the picture or did they forget them in the repair? See:
https://www.google.com/search?q=k130...cq02bk09tvn_M:
Glad you're back on yours. Mine is a '15-love it!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,273 Posts

Glad to hear you & your bike are back on the road!

Now about that 4C... how about a pic of that baby?
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
And I am finally back on the bike!

Things took longer on the repairs, as they found a bit more damage and I was waiting on parts from Germany, apparently. In any case, $9+k later, I rode the bike home from the dealership. It looks and rides great!

I am very safety minded, so decided to e-a-s-e back into riding, after the wreck & being off the bike for a month and a half. Around here, that means I picked it up from the dealership on a weekday afternoon on the hottest day of the year to date, to ride 60 miles across Houston rush hour traffic. Yuck! 2 hours later, and after watching the bikes thermometer show low 100s while parked on 14 lanes of concrete, I made it home.

Things look good after the repairs. They did a good job. I went over the bike carefully that evening, and found no issue. Thankfully, my rides to work and for fun since then have been more fun than the ride home. This also means my 4C is now relieved of "work duty" as I ride the K13 every day. Attached is the only photo I have so far- just home, sweet home!

What were the major delays in the repair process. I have the same model. I slid out of a left turn at a relatively low speed and the cycle went partially under a guard rail. Most of the damage is on the left side. Handle bars / ends, foot peg, tank fairing, and saddle bag were untouched. repair process starts on the 5th. ATGATT.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Longest delays were for the motorsports-painted fairings and then the rear subframe (which was damaged when the pannier mounts were pulled through it).

Good luck!
John
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JohnTex' for this post:
WPV
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Longest delays were for the motorsports-painted fairings and then the rear subframe (which was damaged when the pannier mounts were pulled through it).

Good luck!
John

Thanks for the information. My damage is rather strange in that once the front wheel went under the guard rail, it held the rear of the cycle off the ground to include the saddle bag and pegs. On the left, no damage aft of the left fairing. On the right side that was under the rail, no damage above the belly pan and exhaust heat shield. The headlight area was damaged by a guard rail post which stopped all forward movement. One scratch on the end of the clutch lever was all that was done to the upper area mechanical parts. the only other mechanical damage I found was a bent shift lever. Rode the cycle 40 miles back to my friend's house. A few days later when walking was uncomfortable, I discovered the sprained ankle was a broken leg. Stuff happens. ATGATT.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Very glad to hear that you are OK! ATGATT always pays off, particularly when you least expect it.

Glad that the bike was seen as worthy of being saved! Enjoy the bike when you get it back. The Universe is on your side!
Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8H18
Glad that the bike was seen as worthy of being saved! Enjoy the bike when you get it back. The Universe is on your side!

Maybe. My opinion doesn't count. Dealer estimate to repair was almost $11K. I am removing parts from the list, bypassing powder coating, and furnishing some parts I had in storage. Got it down to $8900. I have $1000 deductible that will reduce it to $7900 cost to my insurance company. Apparently, they still may not be satisfied because last word was they are "trying to make it work". There is a glimmer of hope but I am not optimistic.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Maybe. My opinion doesn't count. Dealer estimate to repair was almost $11K. I am removing parts from the list, bypassing powder coating, and furnishing some parts I had in storage. Got it down to $8900. I have $1000 deductible that will reduce it to $7900 cost to my insurance company. Apparently, they still may not be satisfied because last word was they are "trying to make it work". There is a glimmer of hope but I am not optimistic.

Update for any interested in dealing with an insurance company. I guess my willingness to go to extreme personal measures to get my cycle repaired and possibly the month since the accident struck a chord in someone. They are picking up the full estimated repair costs less my deductible. I my trust is restored. The wait for parts begins tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Had a similar situation with USAA on a BMW M635CSi years back. After much grumbling, they paid the estimate, but in no uncertain terms, told me any supplemental (undiscovered) damages were on me. You may want to inquire.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
Had a similar situation with USAA on a BMW M635CSi years back. After much grumbling, they paid the estimate, but in no uncertain terms, told me any supplemental (undiscovered) damages were on me. You may want to inquire.

Thanks. I'm going to wait and see. I already know there are some problems with the estimate. For example, an Akrapovic exhaust heat shield is misidentified as other aftermarket and the cost is about $160 less than actual. On the other hand, they are paying about $1500 more than the threshold for a total loss they specified earlier. I've made it over the first hurdle and my cycle is not headed to the auction. USAA will not write cycle insurance in Florida.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Total loss is a (set arbitrarily by the insurance company) percentage of what the insurance company considers the market value of the vehicle to be. In my case, the car was a grey market import, and they valued it at about $.60 on the dollar of what a US M6 was worth. Note-my car was a '85 and BMW only imported the M6 in '87-'88. That said, the K1300S Motorsport is a unique vehicle based on all the options and equipment included in the package. Be careful if they try to "short sheet" you. Remember, their mission statement is paying the LEAST amount out on a claim that they can get away with. Shareholder's earnings per share and all that.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

P.S.-USAA does not write cycle insurance ANYWHERE anymore. I'm in LA and USAA forced me into their "affiliate" Progressive.