I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW GS Series Motorcycles > R Series GS Bikes > "R1XXXGS Series" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"R1XXXGS Series" Technical Q&A R1XXXGS Series Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Electrical questions

Hi all. A newbie here with a couple of electrical questions. I just picked up a leftover '17 GS1200 and I'm a bit intimidated by the canbus electrical system.
Can I just wire my Garmin 590 directly to the battery ? It came with the set up for a Nav V. has anyone adapted that plug to another gps. I don't expect to use the wheel thingy-just want power to it all the time.
Can i use a regular Battery Tender for a charger ? If so can I do it with a bmw to sae adapter plug through the socket on the dash ? Can I put the sae plug on the battery in the usual way?
Does anyone know a place I can read up on the basics of the canbus system? I usually like to add some electrical farkles as time goes on.
Thanx in advance, Jim
Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,264 Posts

Re: Electrical questions

The best thing to do is get a fuse block to run all your gizmos... there are some good ones out there from Fuzeblock & Centech. Either of these allow you to add your gizmos over time & a great way to solve your problem.

You can also power stuff like your GPS & heated clothing directly from the battery but need something like Powerlet's iCAN socket kit which bypasses the Canbus & is wired directly to your battery. They have all kinds of goodies to make your life simpler. They have GPS specific cable kits too you might consider if they have one for your Garmin.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 06-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,766 Times in 2,040 Posts

Jim, the BMW Nav V used with the Wonder Wheel, just provides a plethora of customizable information from the bike as well as other info. This combination of features is awesome and well worth the cost, which is now on sale at BMWMotorad dealers all over the country. I strongly suggest you consider it, plus, the unit locks into its mount...very convenient.

Also, for about the same money as other fuse blocks, there is this chimp easy device.

http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/..._Code=HEXezCAN

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

Currently Receiving Intravenous Sedatives and Rides a Pussy Bike with Pride

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 01:42 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

As Jargon says, you are missing the boat seriously with a GS and not using the NAV5 or 6. The data from the engine itself is worth the trouble. Can't emphasize this enough.

Yes, sae wire with a fuse to the battery if you like, fuse block better. NO, not a normal battery tender. Get a good "smart charger" motorcycle charger that recognizes what type of battery it is hooked to and uses the proper charge/maintenance cycle, run it through your socket or SAE that is direct to the battery via a proper size fuse. You can not charge through the OEM can buss outlet. Also it is only 5 amp rated so your heated gear, air pump etc. will shut it down. (see fuse block comments) Also bmw's are hard on their batteries, if you don't ride every few days plug in your charger when it is sitting all alone in the garage.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Shooting the gap

You don't have to be a genius to set the bike up for extra farkles. Look into Hex EZ Can which basically allows you to hook it to the battery and power all the electronic upgrades you want. If you ever want to add lights, powered clothing, extra brake lights etc, this is the way to go without damaging or cutting into the existing electrical.

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JonK100RS' for this post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanx for all the good information and suggestions. Just what I was looking for. Sounds like for now I can wire my 590 and sae pigtail right to the battery and look into other farkles and upgrades over the winter. That way I can save my farkeling budget for immediate necessities like a peg lowering kit, bar risers and racks for my Givi boxes.
Question for Beech. I have a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I was always under the impression that that is a smart charger. Is there anything about the stock battery or electrical system that is incompatible with that charger.
Thanx again
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

I believe that charger will work. Please use it a lot. Darn bikes can suck a battery down in two weeks. Besides that letting it run down a 1/3 or 1/2 often wears it out faster.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Good to know. Thanx