I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

Question Synthetic oil change with low miles/year?

Mobile 1 recommends changes at a given mileage or after 1 year, whichever comes first.

So if the bike is only ridden once a month for a 50 mile trip, does the 1 year still apply?

And why?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Speed Demon

Re: Synthetic oil change with low miles/year?

oil loses its viscosity over time regardless if you ride the bike or not, someone smarter than me can let you know at what rate the viscosity breaks down and at what frequency you should change it. the next question is why own a bike and only ride it once a month for a measly 50 miles?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Contributor

Could also be the loss of an oilís total base number, the ability of an oil to prevent damage from oxidation.
Or most likely a combination of things.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:49 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

With temperature changes the engine case breathes in and out. The moisture taken in works with the oil and limited combustion products to produce acids that work on the bearing surfaces. This would seem minimal but you have a very expensive machine and 30 bucks worth of oil, change it. And I suggest you ride more. If you have so little miles, don't bother with the filter. Using the machine is better than letting it sit.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Synthetic oil change with low miles/year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Mobile 1 recommends changes at a given mileage or after 1 year, whichever comes first.

So if the bike is only ridden once a month for a 50 mile trip, does the 1 year still apply?

And why?

This is a hypothetical asking what it is about 12 months that requires an oil change.

To put it another way, if a new bike sits on the showroom floor for 12 months, does it need an oil change assuming the engine was run after assembly?

And if so, why?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Site Contributor

In a climate controlled showroom with little moisture and no temperature extremes and no engine running, then maybe not.
This is a different question than the original, though.

However, the cost and time of changing the oil in my mind is negligible.

But if one did recommend changing it, the reasons above would be why. An engine is not sealed to the atmosphere and oxidation could still occur, moisture, temperature, settling of oil additives which would presumably be remixed at restart.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
BMW
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
No, you do not need to change it. The 'one year' recommendation is a very raw rule of thumb and is subject to actual operating conditions. On a 50-mile trip the oil should be heated sufficiently and for a long enough period to evaporate any condensation produced during the cold start, and 600 miles is an absurdly low total mileage figure to change the oil. The oil will not 'lose viscosity' while sitting, etc., and any acid accumulation at that low a mileage would be negligible. No doubt an oil analysis would indicate nearly new oil, because functionally it is. If your 600 miles per year was composed of 600 1-mile trips that would be very different, but those are not the conditions specified.

As to 'oil is cheap, replace it anyway'... that's not an answer to the question being asked, the question was do I need to change the oil.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers
The oil will not 'lose viscosity' while sitting, etc., and any acid accumulation at that low a mileage would be negligible.

Chevron would disagree with you...

Atmospheric Contamination: Oxygen and carbon dioxide can react with lubricants and affect their viscosity and consistency. Keep lubricant containers sealed until the product is needed.

http://www.chevronmarineproducts.com...Life_v1013.pdf

But, what do they know. Internet experts are more reliable...

A climate controlled showroom, I don’t see a huge issue with either changing it or not.
In an outdoor garage in South Florida or some place with high smog levels and humidity, yeah, I would totally stick with yearly oil changes.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Anything degrades 'over a period of time', including mountains, but the idea that a motor oil will degrade in any meaningful way in one year (under any reasonable conditions) is unsupported. Very harsh conditions are naturally more problematic than a benign environment and the OP can indicate whether he meant stored in a typical garage under reasonably good environmental conditions, or kept outside on a dock in Miami. Assuming the former, do an oil analysis on that oil after one year, used under the use case described in the OP, and see if oil viscosity or TBN has degraded in any significant manner. I've done it, it doesn't.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'millers' for this post:
BMW
Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 AM
Site Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Synthetic oil change with low miles/year?

Great suggestion!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM
Site Contributor

I typically ride both of my bmws 4-6K a year. Years ago I gave up on the twice a year oil change. I change my oil in the fall at the "end" of my season so there is "fresh" oil in the engine while they are not being used. All my riding is for several hours at a time so oil gets good and hot. I have used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil for many years and over a number of motorcycles. I have used Mobil 1 in my cars for decades and still change twice a year but the usage of those vehicles is quite a bit different. My current car has over 100K and the engine is still as tight as new as regards fuel and oil consumption. Back in 1976 when syn oils were just coming to market, one of my mags ran an article about them and cited a Lincoln engineer who had placed a syn in a Lincoln car and put 100K on it. He never changed the oil, just topped it off as needed. After 100k they proceeded to tear down the engine and noticed the lack of wear on it. So little wear that the hone marks on the cylinder bores were still visible. I rest my case!

Jim
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Twisted Wrister

I think "Mobile" 1 just says 1 year because that's what BMW requires for the warranty to remain valid. No other reason. After all, how could they know what the oil was being used in? If your warranty has lapsed, you're free to do whatever. Oil analysis is a great idea.