I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Getting up to speed

No Power

Just rode to my brotherís with my phone charger on and heated grips on low. Tried to start it 5 minutes later, it got one crank and went dead. Now when I turn the key I have nothing, no self check, clock, nothing. Plugged in a battery charger and it seems to be charging. Went for breakfast. Any suggestions on what to check when I get back?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Re: No Power

Newer bikes from BMW really desire newer batteries. Fact.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,583 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMycle
Just rode to my brotherís with my phone charger on and heated grips on low. Tried to start it 5 minutes later, it got one crank and went dead. Now when I turn the key I have nothing, no self check, clock, nothing. Plugged in a battery charger and it seems to be charging. Went for breakfast. Any suggestions on what to check when I get back?

If it won't crank the engine then the battery isn't holding the charge so you'll need a new battery.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Getting up to speed

We put it on a tender and charged the battery. The light is now solid green. If itís weak and needs to be replaced thatís fine and I understand. But, shouldnít it at least power on and do the self check???
Old 11-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Shooting the gap

Not necessarily. The key is not a simple on-off switch. If the battery is too bad to pass enough current, then it is very likely nothing will happen. Put a volt meter on the battery and then turn the bike on and see what it says. But dollars to donuts, your battery is dead. I recommend replacing with a LiFePO4 battery like EarthX makes. Put one in my bike after mine failed in similar fashion and left me stranded. I was able to get the bike started with a booster box and ride home. But I got nothing from the bike after turning it off. I was a bit worried about cold starts with the EarthX battery, but when I tested it at 20F after it had been near 0F for a week, it turned on, did the self check and started the instant I hit the starter button.

If you do go with a lithium battery, there are two things to know.

1.) it needs to be Lithium Iron Phosphate also known as LiFePO4. Avoid Lithium Ion, they really don’t work in the cold and are very prone to thermal run away, which
means fire/explosion and a charred, worthless bike. Not a risk I’m willing to take.

2.) It must have a BMS or battery management system built into the battery. Anyone that says otherwise is either ignorant or a liar. Many don’t have them because manufacturers want to sell more batteries and not having it will shorten the life of the battery because the bike’s charging system is not setup to charge Lithium batteries properly. Without a BMS, the battery can be over charged or under discharged. The first will damage It cumulatively, the 2nd will kill it. And manufacturers don’t warranty either.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the advice. It tried jumper cables and with them attached it did turn on and self check. Tried starting but after 1 turn it would quit. Dead battery, Iíll do some reading. Thanks for the tips on lithium.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,816 Times in 2,085 Posts

Can be found cheaper on Amazon

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ce-agm-battery

I wouldn’t try starting it again, either by charging or jumping. Wait until you get a new battery. These bikes do funny things on low voltage.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Shooting the gap

What he said☝️
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMycle

Iíve posted plenty on here about my battery going belly up after a 175 ride it gets changed every 2 years now.

You had me wincing when I read about jumping the battery re what the others said say your prayers and hope you havenít damaged the electrics they donít like it.
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Shooting the gap

1. Clean and secure the Battery Post Terminals. No amount of charging will help if this standard "house keeping" measure it not a part of regular care and maintenance.

2. Clean and secure the other ends of the Battery Post Cables. Ditto - No amount of charging will help if this standard "house keeping" measure it not a part of regular care and maintenance.

3. If you measure >13.8 Volts across the Battery Post Terminals when the engine is running at Low Idle Speed your Alternator/Voltage Regulator are likely fine.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Looks like Iíll be ordering this one

Yuasa YUAM6RH4H YTX14H-BS Battery

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5ST3C..._k953BbRJ0R00F
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Shooting the gap

yikes...just read through the amazon buyer reviews on the yausa.....pretty high failure rate reported. maybe they are cheap for a reason.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 11-05-2018, 12:51 AM
Shooting the gap

Iíd get a Westco. Iíve had better luck with them and their warranty process is painless. Had one fail after 2 years 9 months and they shipped me a replacement after having me do some tests. I couldnít get more than 2 years out of a yuasa. The Westcos went 5 years except the one that failed and I think it was the wonky charging system on my 97 Honda VFR750 that killed it.

WestCo 12V14-B Factory Activated Maintenance-Free Rechargeable Sealed Lead-Acid Battery by MK Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074VFYYF5..._1Q83BbGDP5PQT

http://www.westcobattery.com/
Old 11-05-2018, 06:17 AM
Thanked 1,442 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750

If you do go with a lithium battery, there are two things to know.

1.) it needs to be Lithium Iron Phosphate also known as LiFePO4. Avoid Lithium Ion, they really don’t work in the cold and are very prone to thermal run away, which
means fire/explosion and a charred, worthless bike. Not a risk I’m willing to take.

2.) It must have a BMS or battery management system built into the battery. Anyone that says otherwise is either ignorant or a liar. Many don’t have them because manufacturers want to sell more batteries and not having it will shorten the life of the battery because the bike’s charging system is not setup to charge Lithium batteries properly. Without a BMS, the battery can be over charged or under discharged. The first will damage It cumulatively, the 2nd will kill it. And manufacturers don’t warranty either.

Hey Chris. LiFePO4 batteries are lithium ion which is a generic term. Many types of metals are used in lithium ion batteries. Li FePO4 batteries will have trouble starting in very cold weather but the trick is to turn on a headlight to ‘warm’ the battery up. I don’t believe the automotive type batteries have thermal runaway issues. They get a bit warm and swell and that’s it. I have had an Antigravity lithium ion battery for around 4 years in my k12r and will not fit anything else.
I don’t wish to be called a liar or ignorant but my battery does not have a full BMS system. It does however have balanced cell charging

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Shooting the gap

From my '11 K1300S Maintenance Log File:

18AUG2017 - @12,024 Miles I replaced the OE BMW AGM Battery (P/N: 61 21 7 723 566). It was not able to crank the engine over the last 4 start attempts and had to be bump started each time. It was likely the original battery and thus was installed on 25OCT2010 (Date of Manufacture).

I replaced it with a new 12V Interstate Batteries “Factory Activated” CYCLE▪TRONģ PLUS AGM Battery (P/N: FAYTX14, MFG #: M7RH4S) for $104.56

I put my ProMariner 1.5 Amp Fully Automatic Battery Maintainer on it for a few hours till it topped out at 13.39 VDC “Finish”. I then turned the Keyswitch ON, cycled the Throttle between Min and Max position several times, then turned the Keyswitch OFF.

30DEC2017 – I connected the Battery Charge Port to a new Bosch SmartCharge Trickle/Maintainer Battery Charger https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...es/smartcharge. It specifically supports AGM type Batteries =>14 AH.

Today (05NOV2018) I have >21k miles on my '11 K1300S and the new CYCLE▪TRONģ PLUS AGM Battery is working great!
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Dan,
Thanks for that info, for some reason I totally forgot about interstate battery's.
I think there one of the best battery's out there. Will be my choice when I replace my factory battery.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks you guys rock. Iím back on the road. Iíll replace this one in two years with something better.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:35 AM
Speed Demon

I dipped my toe in the lithium battery pond 5 years ago this coming January as I wasnít keen to risk much put it on my Supermoto iíve Had it on charge twice in that time(with a proper lithium charger) just to see how long it took and it was minutes.

Went to my second one on my X/R a few weeks ago it will be interesting to see what kind of average life these kind of batteries have.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Yeah... Westco Platinum from Beemerboneyard, just 98 bucks.

After 6 months on the bench then the... wait for it... fired in a split second!

Best first start ever!

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!