I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > Motorcycle Gear , Accessories & Apparel > Boots
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Boots Different brands, experiences, etc. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Shooting the gap

Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 vented or SIDI Cobra Air Boots?

Hey all,

So my waterproof Alpinestars SMX-5 boots are about toast after 6 or 7 years of use. Great boots, but now that I live in Texas again I don't feel the need for WP boots as they get quite hot due to lack of airflow. I still plan on keeping the boots for cool/rainy weather as I may take them to get spruced up/repaired by a cobbler.

I am now in the market for a vented boot for hill country carving duties w/an occasional track day here and there. I've narrowed down the candidates to two: Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 vented and the SIDI Cobra Air. They are similar in price and seem similar in protection. I'm looking for any personal experiences for those that may have one or the other (or both). Appreciate the comments in advance.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...2-vented-boots

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...obra-air-boots
Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,517 Times in 3,201 Posts

Re: Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 vented or SIDI Cobra Air Boots?

Both very good - Alpinestars tend to fit better than Sidi for riders with wide feet.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:08 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,883 Times in 1,139 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

The sole on my Sidi came off! Not that that canít happen with any boot, but Iím not all that pleased with them.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Shooting the gap

tried the Sidi...did not fit well. tight in all the wrong places (and i don't have wide feet)

got the smx6 v2. LOVE THEM.

except.....I made the mistake of getting the "middle" version. not the vented, not the waterproof. great for cooler dry days, but bit warm on hot track days. should have got the vented version.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mlytle' for this post:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Shooting the gap

I have narrow feet so I think the SIDIís narrow fit may not be an issue. I like the fact that the SIDIís toe sliders are bolt on as Iíve had them come off before on my SMX-5s (not that Iíve ever actually ground them down - one fell off in the parking lot walking into work). I also like that the soleís on the SMX-6s come up over the front of the toe (unlike my SMX-5ís). My local Cylcegear has the SMX-6s in stock but does not stock ANY SIDI boots so theyíd be special order only. Decisions, decisions...
Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
The sole on my Sidi came off! Not that that canít happen with any boot, but Iím not all that pleased with them.
Stop diving with them and they may just last a little longer.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Paul,

I had the same experience with my Sidi Vortice boots. Ticked me off because I loved the micro adjusters so much. So much in fact that I bought a pair of the Sidi Mag-1 Air boots.

Someone that I talked to this summer (might have been BruceV) mentioned that they sent a pair of A* back to the manufacturer for re-soling. I'd like to do the same with my Vortice's but have not been able to find anything leading me to believe that Sidi offers this service.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Shooting the gap

So I ended up getting to try on both pairs of boots at a motorcycle apparel shop and although the narrowness of the SIDIs didnít bother my narrow feet, the lining of the SMX-6 V2ís just felt plusher. I honestly like the looks of the SIDIs better but the A stars just felt nicer and higher quality and the protection looked more robust. With a thinner liner Iím sure the SIDIís will flow more air but the vented A stars will definitely be an improvement over my current WP SMX-5s.

So long story short, I bought the A star SMX-6 vented V2s. Looks and feels like a quality boot that will (hopefully) last as long as my previous A stars. So I remain a Shoei head, A star hands and feet and Dainese two piece perfd leathers. Now I need a new Shoei RF-1200 and possibly a Scorpion GT-920 flip-up for my first modular. Xmas is coming, Santa are you listening?
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Shooting the gap

good choice.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Paul,

I had the same experience with my Sidi Vortice boots. Ticked me off because I loved the micro adjusters so much. So much in fact that I bought a pair of the Sidi Mag-1 Air boots.

Someone that I talked to this summer (might have been BruceV) mentioned that they sent a pair of A* back to the manufacturer for re-soling. I'd like to do the same with my Vortice's but have not been able to find anything leading me to believe that Sidi offers this service.
It was me - I send my boots back to get resoled and whatever else needs repair. My track boots are the Supertech R's the best boots out there in my opinion.

The reason I send them back for resoling is because I have AP rearsets and the pegs are razor sharp(they really are) and by the end of the season the soles are cut up pretty bad.

They charge about $100.00 for the service both boots - typically they also replace the heel/toe sliders if they are beat up as well.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 vented or SIDI Cobra Air Boots?n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
It was me - I send my boots back to get resoled and whatever else needs repair. My track boots are the Supertech R's the best boots out there in my opinion.

The reason I send them back for resoling is because I have AP rearsets and the pegs are razor sharp(they really are) and by the end of the season the soles are cut up pretty bad.

They charge about $100.00 for the service both boots - typically they also replace the heel/toe sliders if they are beat up as well.

Bruce can you please share more details on the A* resole/refurb service? My SMX-5ís are in need of some TLC but definitely arenít ready for the trash bin.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Re: Alpinestars SMX-6 V2 vented or SIDI Cobra Air Boots?n

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman4
Bruce can you please share more details on the A* resole/refurb service? My SMX-5ís are in need of some TLC but definitely arenít ready for the trash bin.
Mike call Alpinestars customer service and they will send you a shipping # to send the boots in.

Tell them what you need and they will send you an email with a quote. Typically it is about a 3 week turn around - about a week shipping time each way and they take about a week to turn them around.

You pay to ship the boots to them they pay sending them back - well at least that has been how it worked in the past.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)