I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Technical Q&A K1200GT-'NG'- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Additional wring harness for starter/alternator??

I have, as some other people as well, experienced the issue with the bike being unable to start when stopped after a spirited ride and the bike heated up. The only solution to this is to await for it to cool down a little (sometimes as long as 15 minutes) before trying to start the bike.

I am going through my BMW repair Manual on a CD and noted one particular job/repair that attracted my attention.

It is 61 11 003 / 61 11 542 Installing additional wiring harness, starter/alternator...

I believe I've read somewhere on the forum that the issue with the "hot start" condition is solved by adding /enlarging the starter positive wire in order to allow more current to flow onto it when the bike is hot.

Is this the repair/job that will hopefully solve the problem with the "hot start"? I would hate to go and buy a new starter (that I am contemplating) and replace it to find out the problem is with the inadequate wiring rather than with the starter itself.

Any leads on this would be much appreciated.
2006 BMW K1200S
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,223 Posts

Re: Additional wring harness for starter/alternator??

Yes there is a wire harness you can buy from BMW for about $150. It works for the hot start issue. I have installed it and all is good now. Here is the thread you are looking for. Take your time as it is not easy to install, thick wires to mold to routes and you need to carefully route it for a clean job. Also remover your air box to do a good job. That is work in itself. Do not let it rub on any throttle body linkage. Don't stress anything. Dealers hated doing this on warranty as BMW gave them 2 hrs pay for a 4 hour job. You need to remove the gas tank and air box to get at everything.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ight=hot+start

While you are in there, pull your starter, take it apart and clean the dust out then lube the needed parts.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:40 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Beech,

I just removed the side panels and gas tank and will remove the starter tomorrow and check with BMW what is the price for the new wiring harness. I guess it is pretty much doubling the wires, isn't it?

I will be removing my air box as well as I also have that issue with hunting RPMs when bike is warm. Not as bad as I've seen others describe it, but today riding in Vancouver at 45 degrees when stopped at the traffic light my idle would always go up to 1500-1750 RPM and remain there. In Summer it was worse with idle RPM remaining at >2500 rpm and a bit awkward to ride in the city stop and go traffic.

Similarly to hot start it only happens when the bike is hot after running for a while.

I may have to replace the air box as I've seen people saying that replacing it with new one sorted out the hunting rpm/sticky throttle problem.
2006 BMW K1200S
Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,599 Times in 1,223 Posts

A quick guess is that your idle air valve is binding up with the heat or the air box is. If you have the newest air box, then time to clean or replace the idle air valve. Just went back, I see you have a GT. The most common bike to have this idle problem. There is software that goes with the air box up grade, talk to your dealer. If the air box was up graded at a shop their computer will show it. All this happened about October 2008. You can look up current part numbers on:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

And find a picture of that pesky idle air valve.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brico
Thanks Beech, I guess it is pretty much doubling the wires, isn't it?

The new harness piggy-backs from battery to alternator, but replaces original leads to starter motor and to relay. So the original starter and relay leads become redundant.

My 2014 K13S MS had this done under warranty recently, but the dealer managed to mess up the job and leave me with a 'clicking' relay, and no starter . . still, I got a new battery out of it, as a bad battery was their original prognosis.

Good luck with the fix. Any more problems and it could well be the starter switch internals expanding in the heat.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S