I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

New to BMW bikes and Brake ABS issues!

Hi all
I have raced, worked on and fallen off bikes since I was 12. Always Yamaha but slowly progressed to Ducati and now I am the owner of a 2003 K1200RS.
I got it from a cousins husband who let it sit for a LONG time. The fuel had eaten everything in the tank including the copper wires. I have managed to replace fuel pump filters etc. Changed plugs, fluids and got her running.
HOWEVER in my last bit of fluid change before putting all the fairing on, I decided to flush the brake fluids. I saw a thread on how to do it using the brake servo and it was easy to do the front and back using the servo instead of hand pumping as usual. Then I figured that I needed to do the cylinder on the handlebars. BIG mistake as I did not realize that the fluid is also pulled from the reservoir at the back. I was looking at the reservoir on the bars and watching the fluid level. It was only after a bit that I realized that the reservoir on the back was being sucked empty. I have learnt the hard way that they are connected!
I topped that reservoir up and went back and check that there was no bubbles at the front cylinders and rear. All seems good. So my question is this....
IF I did suck air into that line with the use of the servo, do I need to bleed the ABS servo itself or would the air have just gone into the lines towards the wheel cylinders?
Hope this makes sense?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: New to BMW bikes and Brake ABS issues!

Regardless if you sucked air or not, You Should bleed the servo, it’s really not hard, tedious yes, there are many a posts on how to bleed the servo.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:36 AM
Site Contributor

Good luck the K12RS is a great bike, it's the one bike I regret selling
Old 12-31-2018, 11:48 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Refill the reservoirs that were run dry by pushing fluid in from the caliper bleeders.With the not so special BMW tool? Called the "Bubble free injector" by BMW but just a big syringue with a piece of hose attached.

Procedure is in the BMW service manual.May even be mentioned twice in the manual....under brake lines replacement and also under iABS system bleeds in case any reservoir runs dry.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Wow pbegin, I just made the special tool and bought the special bleeder screw and this procedure with back filling as per the manual makes it VERY simple!
I will give that a try and have the other option ready if I have problems.
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:44 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anafrican
Wow pbegin, I just made the special tool and bought the special bleeder screw and this procedure with back filling as per the manual makes it VERY simple!
I will give that a try and have the other option ready if I have problems.
Thanks!

Oh....backfilling then a control circuits (modulator) bleed as per the manual?

I know what happens when a reservoir runs dry and one continues bleeding without backfilling with the syringue as per the manual.Everything may appear normal at first but within a few miles the warning lights will start flashing on rapid flash indicating a low fluid level in a reservoir.Refill roadside but then it may just happen again?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)