I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Site Contributor

2009 K1300 S Reviews

Hello All,

I've been away from riding for a few yrs now (3-4)and want to get back to it. I'm not old but I'm not young any longer either. 61 but young at mind and now want to possibly buy a used K1300 S. I sold my K1200 GT a few years ago with the intentions of buying a K1300 but never did and now I've got the urge for another bike but I can't see me on a GT or a GS. I like the ability to have a street bike with some balls and also a weekend touring bike. I've been looking at the K1300's, are they still in the BMW lineup? It seems like only up to 2016 model yr. Looking used anyway.

I know these bikes are pretty awesome but are they dependable like my K1200 GT was (04)? Are there K1300 and a K1300 S the same bike or is there a difference just some have an "S" on them and others don't?

Is there a preferred model year that I should look for or are there specific editions of the K1300 S? I see there are different paint schemes do they have a designation to them with different options?

I will say that the heated grips and seat on the GT were a plus and cruise control. I did like the cruise control a lot on long trips

What options were available on them or what options should I be looking for?

I also realize the bars are a bit more forward but that can be adjusted with some aftermarket parts correct?

Most likely looking to find something with panniers/bags already with it. I see they are not color coded like the older models had.

Any information would be most helpful

Thank you much
Magellan.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: 2009 K1300 S Reviews

I have one. I dearly love it.
Its big powerful and heavy on paper but it handles its weight very well especially at higher speeds No buffeting.

Get one
get two

bars arre just a bit too far forward for me. Like by a quarter inch. I got tendonitis trying to fight the needed lean forward. Its not far enough to require a full commitment for me. But the fit depends on body measurements so my experience is quite meaningless unless your my long lost twin.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

There are many options.
I got a setup from Wunderkich.
Very expensive at over $750.

I think Helibars are worth a shot and less expensive.
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD - rebought), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
-----------------------------------------------------
Old 02-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Site Contributor

I'd look for a K13GT, same bike as the K13S but set up for touring with factory bags and a more relaxed riding position. The Kawasaki Concours is a nice bike too and can be purchased new for around 15k. Nice alternative to the BMW if a new bike is in your budget.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,280 Posts

I have to disagree with Wellcraft a little. The GT model had more poor running problems than is fair. 2010 and newer (I own an 09) are the ones to look at. It is the most expensive bmw to own maintenance wise unless you do the majority of your own work. Ride it awhile to get saddle broken before you dive into it with mods. I find it the most comfortable bike I have owned in years. And it is a Beast. Fast. You can ride it for weeks and one day you start opening the throttle all the way, yikes. The 12 and newer have higher oil pressure to to a gear change on the pump. 16 was the last year.

The reason I ride a ten year old bike is because it still is the best for me. There is no cruise control on any of the years. Some need a hot start wiring change. Start reading through the K1300S old files. There is no other version except the GT which I personally would take a pass on as it only has 160 hp as I remember not the 176 of the mighty mo. Plenty of folks who used to own them and a few who still do here to help you out with any problem. A mid year medium mile bike should be 9 or 10K. Not many for sale as those that have them keep them most of the time. I don't know the year but it is some where around 11 that is all black. Yes.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 AM

Go down four threads:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=44302
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Shooting the gap

I recently bought a K1300S for the same reasons and did all the research you need to do just a few months ago.....so I think I can be helpful. Currently, however, my bike is sitting in storage here in Minneapolis so I cannot give you any ride specific impressions until Spring but I am sure plenty of others can chip in and there are are bunch of reviews online. I have a total of 2 hours on a 2013 I test rode but I did my homework before I bought one.

The K1300S is the follow on BMW to the K1200S. It was manufactured from 2009-2016. Before the S1000RR, THIS was the BMW sportbike. Along the way there were a few “specials” or “editions” but it has been mostly the same bike the whole time. It is currently a buyers market because, for whatever reason, sport touring bikes are presently out of fashion. People are either buying sport bikes like the S1000RR or touring rigs like Gold Wings, Harley’s and K1600’s. Or the adventure bikes. In design, riding position, performance and specs, the K1300S is clearly a mix of sport bikes and touring machines. It is long and heavy for a sportbike but much lighter, faster and better handling than the touring rigs. I have seen reviews that describe it as the best of both worlds and the single best street motorcycle ever made and others that say that you sacrifice too much sporting capability on one end and too much comfort and capacity on the other end. Having a total of 2 hours riding time on a K1300S and coming from a steady diet of sport bikes, I liked it immediately and so much so that I just bought a low mile 2015 as I mentioned above.

You can google-gather the specs faster than I can type but the things that define this bike are:

The engine: designed by Ricardo, the same folks who designed the motor and transmission for the Bugatti Veyron. 175HP and 103 ft lbs of TQ. More importantly, you get 70% of that by 3000rpm and by 4000rpm you are making more TQ than the S1000RR makes at 11,000 rpm. I noticed this immediately. It buzzes a bit here and there. Big deal. Sounds great and ranges from too quiet to F1 car. 40-50mpg too. Premium fuel only. Throttle is cable actuated, not throttle-by-wire....so no cruise control option.

The suspension: Duolever out front, Paralever in back. Google Norman Hossack for the engineering. The knock on the Duolever is the “lack of feel” you will read about. I have ridden high spec traditional forks my whole life and I must say for the street and any amount of sane aggressive riding the Hossack is a superior design. No front end dive induced by braking. Well, only the little that was designed into the system to make it feel somewhat more traditional. The racers still use traditional forks but that’s also what they grew up on.
Most K1300S ‘s came with ESAII. It electrically adjusts preload and damping for for one or two riders, baggage and your preference for Sport, Normal, or Comfort. It works well and most people are getting around 40,000 miles on the shocks. They can be rebuilt or swapped for Wilber’s or ÷hlins at that time. The Paralever out back makes the low maintenance shaft drive nearly invisible. Everyone says “I can tell the difference between chain and shaft drive immediately”. Maybe. I have been riding a long time and I don’t notice it at all. All bikes should be shaft drive.

The brakes are BMW branded Brembo. They are strong but will fade if used hard continuously.
They are also “linked”. Using the front brake gets both front and rear brakes operating. Using the rear brake gets you rear brake only. ABS is standard. Not lean sensitive and no ABS levels. This is a very powerful motorcycle. The electronic nannies are good but will ultimately yield to a stupid rider.

There is also rudimentary traction control on the bike limiting full power in first 3 gears while monitoring rear wheel spin and wheelies as well. It works well, keeps you safe but has been surpassed in recent years by more advanced lean sensing ABS/ traction control. There are no “ride modes” in the ECU.

Otherwise: Dry sump lubrication, shaft drive, heated grips, Can-Bus Electronics, TPMS on some packages, Gear shift assist on some packages.....(clutchless upshift only). Various carbon fiber bits on some packages. The Motorsports Edition (2015/2016) includes all packages AND the lovely HP pegs and shifters and the HP forged aluminum wheels, Akropovic Titanium exhaust and snazzy racing colors scheme.

Common Gripes: Fuel injection on early models....remapped at dealers. Some bikes have a clutch “judder” as you get underway. Seat....like every bike out there. NO cruise control. A serious flaw for anything claiming to be touring capable but Throttlemeister or Kaoko help here. One 5A auxiliary outlet. Eats through tires. Buzzy from 5-8000 and sometimes lower on the overrun. Speedo—too many little numbers jammed into a small space. After the first 1/3, you are in “getting arrested” territory.

Common Mods: Seat. Grips. Heilibars. Lowered footpegs. Throttle lock. Tires. Bags. GPS. Auxiliary lighting. Power Distribution Module to allow power to all your electrical gadgets while not upsetting the bikes own power monitoring system. Booster Plug or Brenn tune to smooth FI. Exhaust.

Finally, Here is an excerpt from a Canadian reviewer that got to ride a K1300S for the first time as a loaner bike while his F800 was being serviced. It makes me laugh every time I read it. I will forward to his experience after he has taken it out of the city:

“I had so far thought both tach and speedo were broken. But no, it's just that neither needle gets past 8 o'clock till you're breaking every speed limit in North America. This is sobering.

I enter the Allen Expy northbound and crank hard. I hit something like 160k/h in seconds -- that's second gear, and about two seconds, respectively. I'm laughing pervertedly. I slow down to 80, remembering speed traps are found on this stretch, and shift up a few gears. But a K1300S doesn't care what gear you're in, for the bike is filth. You could ride all day at 100k/h in first and not hurt it.

Coast clear, I am in second at 5k, and twist it all the way. It doesn't wheelie, thank you, Christ. But oh, lord. My ears rotate to just above my spine, and eyes go where those ears used to reside. I redline, grab another, redline, grab another, and the entire world liquifies. I can't see but green ribbons left and right, a juddering greyness in front. I apply the brakes hastily, too blind, wronged and terrified to continue. I have no idea how fast I go, probably no more than 200, but all in about 2.3 seconds. I feel like I've been raped, violated or something else that is grave and which I cannot understand.

I conclude there isn't room in Canada for this bike. K1300S needs airport runways connected to Nurburgrings to be understood. My wrists are sore. The riding posture is absurd. Who could own this bike but persons with damaged minds and fused spines? Then I remember the 1000RR, with 20 extra more hp, and Hayabusas too, mythical machines I know little of, and wonder at the state of humanity.

By this I mean, you can't explain the feeling and power of a bike like this. It all becomes metaphor and exaggeration, and still so short of the experience it's pitiful. That's why this writeup is over”.

Hope this helps.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K13Msport' for this post:
Old 02-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Msport
Finally, Here is an excerpt from a Canadian reviewer that got to ride a K1300S for the first time as a loaner bike while his F800 was being serviced. It makes me laugh every time I read it. I will forward to his experience after he has taken it out of the city:

ďI had so far thought both tach and speedo were broken. But no, it's just that neither needle gets past 8 o'clock till you're breaking every speed limit in North America. This is sobering.

I enter the Allen Expy northbound and crank hard. I hit something like 160k/h in seconds -- that's second gear, and about two seconds, respectively. I'm laughing pervertedly. I slow down to 80, remembering speed traps are found on this stretch, and shift up a few gears. But a K1300S doesn't care what gear you're in, for the bike is filth. You could ride all day at 100k/h in first and not hurt it.

Coast clear, I am in second at 5k, and twist it all the way. It doesn't wheelie, thank you, Christ. But oh, lord. My ears rotate to just above my spine, and eyes go where those ears used to reside. I redline, grab another, redline, grab another, and the entire world liquifies. I can't see but green ribbons left and right, a juddering greyness in front. I apply the brakes hastily, too blind, wronged and terrified to continue. I have no idea how fast I go, probably no more than 200, but all in about 2.3 seconds. I feel like I've been raped, violated or something else that is grave and which I cannot understand.

I conclude there isn't room in Canada for this bike. K1300S needs airport runways connected to Nurburgrings to be understood. My wrists are sore. The riding posture is absurd. Who could own this bike but persons with damaged minds and fused spines? Then I remember the 1000RR, with 20 extra more hp, and Hayabusas too, mythical machines I know little of, and wonder at the state of humanity.

By this I mean, you can't explain the feeling and power of a bike like this. It all becomes metaphor and exaggeration, and still so short of the experience it's pitiful. That's why this writeup is overĒ.

Hope this helps.
In my 18 months of ownership, I never felt my 2007 to be this crazy powerful, but this is a great write up and I fully admit that I'm a bit warped.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 02-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Shooting the gap

I liked his perspective as well. For clarity he is coming from an F800 as the most high performance bike he has ridden which he explains earlier in the write up.

From earlier in the review when the dealership offers him a K1300S loaner:

“But then my man gets a much better idea: A loaner upgrade: the psycho-orange K1300S I'd seen upon entering the lot.

'Done,' I say.

He backs it out for me, starts it, asks, 'Can you handle it?'

'Yeah,' I say, otherwise speechless on a flood of five new kinds of adrenaline. He leaves me to it.

I do not at all know if I can handle it.

I sit, kick up the stand, pull in the clutch and put it into first. I am careful and casual as I exit the lot. I don't want them to take it away from me. I haven't sat on anything 1300-like in 16 years, and that was a Kawasaki for half an hour in downtown Singapore. And I've never sat on anything with two wheels and 175 equines. In fact I've not ridden a true crotch rocket larger than an insanely modded RD350. That was twenty years ago... and I overwheelied and crashed it a minute after getting on”.

Ha ha.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:50 PM

One thing to learn about this bike and others like it is to not lean on your hands to hold you up. Use your thighs and torso to hold you up. Takes some getting used to but the benefit is no sore wrists. Relax your shoulders, easy grip and go for it. over 40 bikes in the past, this is the best one. Did someone say it's fast? For me the stock low seat is perfect. Only BMW bike seat I have ever found this true. The stock saddle bags are not the greatest. I carry hard stuff like my air compressor, spare shoes, maps, water etc, in them and use a duffel on the back seat for my cloths. As mentioned be prepared to use up tires in 4500 miles. Although I have 5700 on a set of metzler M7 RR's. Find a shop that will change tires if you bring them in and the wheels. Or get a tire change machine of some sort and work with friends on their tires too. I average 48 mpg, about 220 miles a tank, easy 200 pushing hard. Remus hexcone silencer added 4.5 hp via dynamometer, up to 154 at the rear wheel. Also lightened the bike by 12 lbs which equals 1.5 hp or so. You can go in and back up the electronic throttle stop a few mm. if you want that extra whack in lower gears but there really is no need.
S1000R
Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Twisted Wrister

A few comments on K13Msport's detailed responses. I have the same model (2015 K1300s motorsport), bought new in my case and with about 20,000 miles on it now.

The brakes are indeed linked. It's rare that I touch the rear brake anymore.

Engine mapping - it seems to be too lean, and the Booster Plug fools the sensor into richening the mixture (I think). The result is that the engine is much more tractable and the mapping seems almost OK. Barely a hesitation at around 5,000 rpm under full acceleration now, and it was much worse before.

Horn - meep meep. (And deliberately not capitalized). You want to swap that out for a Fiamm or something.

Power: I came from 30 years straight on a 1985 K100RS, bought new in Germany. I went into the showroom looking for a GT. (BMW stopped selling GT's in the US some years before.) There was a 1300s ms there, and I took it for a test ride. For part of the ride I took it on the freeway, with my wife on back. As per usual on my K100, I grabbed a bunch of throttle and accelerated hard through third and fourth gears. Besides being totally awesome, it was scary as heck! I looked down and saw I was at 135mph and climbing rapidly.

I put down a deposit on it when I got back.

I hardly ever give it full throttle any more, and rarely for more than a couple of seconds. But I've had it to 165 a couple of times, and it will definitely pull 150 2-up with bags. The engine management and traction control put on this bike are just wonderful.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 AM
Speed Demon

Production stopped in 13 anything after that is old stock.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 02-21-2019, 02:57 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,649 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
Production stopped in 13 anything after that is old stock.

Chris, I think you'll find that production stopped in 2016. I bought one of the 3 remaining MS editions in about August 2016 and it had been manufactured that year.

To add to K13MSports and others comments:

The Hossack front suspension on the K12 did not have a lot of feel but the front fork on the K13 was changed so that the lower part was aluminium - all steel on the K12 - apparently saving about 2Kg of unsprung weight. I test rode one of the early K13s when my K12 was in for service and you could notice the difference in terms of extra feel. If you add in the lightness of the forged aluminium wheels on a MS edition then the feel is fine.

The engine can be a bit buzzy and as Phzcraig says its because the mixture is very lean. I haven't done anything to mine and am prepared to live with it.

As Beech says most people complaining about sore wrists are leaning on the bars because their core isn't strong enough.

All in this is IMHO a great road bike.
BMW R90S
Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
Site Contributor

K13Msport, and others,

Nice right up there, I did read the thread about your purchase and the waiting game you had until you got it home. I have to ask how were you able to find that bike so many miles from home.

My old 2004 K1200GT was the same as the K1200RS but had bags and cruise so i'm a bit familiar with the K model bikes but not the K1300S. I loved that damn bike and regret selling it. I recently read where the guy that bought it laid it down 2 weeks after he bought it from me. I had header and ignition done to it and some mapping so it was a bit of a runner. That is why I would like to get another K model bike.

I've been reading as much as I can to familiarize myself with the pro's and con's but I'm pretty sold on that model so i'll accept the idiosyncrasies. I'll have to stop by the dealer in the area and ask them to keep an eye out for one. The Msports I like a lot. Love those graphics.

I found a low mileage 09 but I'm not too crazy about the light grey paint. Doesn't do much for the bike. I thought about buying it and having it wrapped. But then that's most likely a bunch of money that could be spent on accessories.

I'll just have to be patient and keep reading the posts and threads here. I can see there will be a list of accessories to be added. I have built and accessorizes so many motorcycles in my day and have always sold them to buy another one once I get them where I want them. But that's part of having a bike right?

Fellows I'm very appreciative of all the comments you have all posted and I'll keep reading as long as you want to add to your thoughts and comments. All of the advice is welcomed and thought provoking. It's very helpful especially for someone that has been away from the cycle seen for a few years, so thank you very much

Magellan.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Shooting the gap

I had been looking for a sporty bike that I could possibly do some miles on for almost a year. The K1300S and a few others were on the short list. I frequently scanned Cycletrader, Craigslist, and dealer inventory.

I found mine on a Craigslist ad. Pure luck. By the time I called it had been moved to a dealership on consignment but had not been advertised yet. The dealership serviced it, and sent me a bunch of pictures and did a thorough walk-around with me on the phone. It’s the first bike I ever bought without inspecting and riding it myself. I STILL haven’t ridden the bike yet.........so, it could be a turd. But I doubt it.

Other than a few seat scuffs, it appears brand new. 1300 miles. Oil changed 3 times. Final drive twice. Came with bags, Helibars-bars, and smoked turn signal lenses. Shipped to my dealer and they went over it again before they dropped it at my house. The fit, finish, craftsmanship, paint, machining and detail are that of quality machine. That’s an angry inline 4 that BMW and Ricardo have muffled in there.

There are still some VERY nice low mile machines on Cycletrader. And, as I said, it’s currently a buyers market for big sports-touring bikes. Good for you......not so good if you want to sell one right now. Shipping is not very expensive either but choose wisely.

Lastly, the grey bike is VERY sharp in the “flesh”. A wolf in sheep’s clothing if there ever was one. That’s the color I test drove. I reallly liked it but .could not find one when I was looking. There is a nice grey bike in Iowa with about 9k on it that they want gone. Also a nice red, white, and black Anniversary model in Texas with bags and other goodies that they are dealing on......almost bought that one. I only ran into the Motorsports Edition by accident. I was not specifically looking for it. The paint scene is a little polarizing but it looks the business on the road........same as the rest of them. My early preference was Grey, Black, Blue/ White HP Edition.

Good luck. You have come to the right place here for help. Although these guys have cost me a lot of money buying all sorts things that will go on the bike in another month or so..........tires, more bags, grips, GPS, power distribution module, heated clothing, auxiliary lighting......yowza. Probably a booster plug too. Oh boy.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
Chris, I think you'll find that production stopped in 2016. I bought one of the 3 remaining MS editions in about August 2016 and it had been manufactured that year.

To add to K13MSports and others comments:

The Hossack front suspension on the K12 did not have a lot of feel but the front fork on the K13 was changed so that the lower part was aluminium - all steel on the K12 - apparently saving about 2Kg of unsprung weight. I test rode one of the early K13s when my K12 was in for service and you could notice the difference in terms of extra feel. If you add in the lightness of the forged aluminium wheels on a MS edition then the feel is fine.

The engine can be a bit buzzy and as Phzcraig says its because the mixture is very lean. I haven't done anything to mine and am prepared to live with it.

As Beech says most people complaining about sore wrists are leaning on the bars because their core isn't strong enough.

All in this is IMHO a great road bike.

Weíll have to agree to disagree Phillip production stopped in 13 everything after that was a parts bin speacial.

Re the riding position rode down to Bordeaux last April on the X/R did similar on the K in September think I got half way to Portsmouth and was already gritting my teeth 200 miles later I got my head around the riding position and was fine.

The complication while down at the Aragon GP had what can only be discribed as a major set too with a guy on 1290 Adventurer,now my K is not remotely stock neither the way the motor runs or how it steers but it was a mighty wake up call when confronted with a modern day bike in open combat.

Do you need the latest wiz bang? Not at all but it made me realise how the game has moved on shame I canít ride my X/R and K at the same time as a comparo!!!
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Weíll have to agree to disagree Phillip production stopped in 13 everything after that was a parts bin speacial.Re

This is simply not true. No manufacturer of anything has three years of parts laying around.

The bike has changed little since 2009, Iíll give you that, but to cast three years of fine motorcycles into the ďparts binĒ category is careless.

As to your episode vs the 1290 Adventure. I have owned 2 KTMís. Really good to me and both very good handling. Their 1190/1290 series are the same. Riders make the difference.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Speed Demon

When I was looking for a K in 09 I was being offered brand new bikes pre 07,by 2013 demand was down to a trickle all BM did was new paint and few trick parts easily done on such small sales,what folks conveniently forget BM stopped selling the K because of lack of demand the masses didnít want it so they stopped making it exactly the same happened with my K Sport 07.

Re the confrontation my sport doesnít turn like any K most folks have ridden and as it went on for some time I did find a way to combat the situation but when your on a country road and not getting above 110 itís a lot of bike to haul about(we were both two up)and life would have been far easier on the X/R in that particular situation.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
When I was looking for a K in 09 I was being offered brand new bikes pre 07,by 2013 demand was down to a trickle all BM did was new paint and few trick parts easily done on such small sales,what folks conveniently forget BM stopped selling the K because of lack of demand the masses didnít want it so they stopped making it exactly the same happened with my K Sport 07.

Re the confrontation my sport doesnít turn like any K most folks have ridden and as it went on for some time I did find a way to combat the situation but when your on a country road and not getting above 110 itís a lot of bike to haul about(we were both two up)and life would have been far easier on the X/R in that particular situation.

Chris:

The official run for the K1300S is October of 2008-2016. NOT 2009-2013 plus ďmiscellaneous parts to 2016Ē.

At BMW, that bike paid for itself in the first 3 or 4 years. They could still make a profit on it with lower and lower volume as the years went by because it had a very long run and it was the same bike, with very minor differences from beginning to end. A dream for manufacturing.

When the sales numbers finally fell below a certain threshold at the end......they discontinued it that year. They did not discontinue it in 2013 and use a three year part inventory to continue the model with prayers that people would buy it three years into market obsolescence. No one in any type of manufacturing does that. No one. Especially not anyone with BMWís experience.

Also, they were certainly not discounting the last three years as parts bikes. My 2015 Motorsports was a $22,000+ motorcycle just three years ago. The vagaries and fashions of the consumer market terminated the K1300S. Itís still a first rate motorcycle by any measure.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:45 AM
Speed Demon

Where has the discounting thing come from?

Iíve been through all the mud and alligators with my K iíve Had it 10 years so you will have to forgive me for the lack of rose tinted glasses even with aftermarket fuelling/wheels/suspension/dog bones/seats!! Over 120 mph it will still gives most things a run for its money hence why I keep it and have suffered along the way but under that speed the game has moved on hence my X/R.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Shooting the gap

I was a long time BMW Boxer lover before getting my K1300S. I'd previously had a new '94 BMW R100GS/PD (rode 81k miles) followed by a used '99 BMW R1100S (rode 76k miles). The Boxer Motor cadence is reassuring and enjoyable...but it was time for a change.

I had test rode a then new '05 BMW K1200S just for fun and was awed by the furious power and noted the ergonomics were very similar to my then R1100S...I thought maybe someday I'd own one.

Now its 20k miles, 2 years, and two trips in the Western States later, am I'm still SMILING!

If you like the idea of being astride the fastest most powerful Shaft Driven Production Motorcycle in the World. If you like being "TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN" in daily traffic. If you like riding to lonely, curvy tarmac in far off places. If you like passing power in SPADES! You get the idea!

Here's my K1300S review after 4k miles of ownership:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60514
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Z-Technik Smoked Shield. Color: Red/Black.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Site Contributor

Hello all,

It's been a few weeks since I started this thread about the K1300s and the weather has not been the best but it is getting better. I had a chance on a nice day last week to drive a few hours east to take that Grey K1300s out for a ride. Well, I did not buy it but I wanted to, I just did not care for the color but I did like the motorcycle more than I thought I would. I had two hours to think about what my expectations were when I did get to the dealership. Nice staff and a nice BMW dealership. The sales person got the bike out and the service person gave it a once over prior to letting me have it.

Intimidation or lack of confidence was my first experience but neither lasted for very long. I rode slowly thru the peaceful little town in the mountains respecting the ability of this motorcycle and the speed limit plus my lack of riding recently. Then the town disappeared and the two lane mountain roads opened up and I was able to run thru the gears little by little to gain my confidence. After about a half hour and on the return to the dealership I started getting back to my old style of riding and WOW is that a machine. It has the pulling power of a 7 liter diesel engine and the explosion of jet.

I found that riding position to be pretty comfortable, I did think as I sat on it that the seat was sort of hard but I don't think I was paying much attention to creature comforts as I was seeing this machine perform and not getting in trouble with the local sheriff. It was outfitted with an RPS exhaust ( I may have the letters incorrect) that sounded pretty nice. In fact the sales person told me he heard me up in the mountains turning it up. Little embarrassing but I did smile and I smiled the entire day after having a great experience with it. I just did not like the Grey, no offense to anyone with a Grey motorcycle it's just not my color.

I have to have one now for sure, I've been looking and have found a few that interest me if I want to have them shipped. I was stuck on finding one with panniers and some extras but now I think I'll be less particular and add the panniers later.

I will ask this if anyone can tell me about the difference in the MS sport and the 30th anniversary edition? They seem to have the same equipment but different paint mostly. The MS is 15/16 model yr and the 30th was 13/14 model yrs? Is that correct?

Again thank you for the information
Old 03-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,108 Posts

Both versions have the upgraded rearsets and exhaust.

The MS also has the upgraded forged wheels, whereas the Anniversary does not. The MS may have some CF, not sure though.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM
Site Contributor

Hello all,

I have a few more questions because I might be close to a purchase. I'm looking at 3 bikes in particular but two are within a days drive or so. One is a 2015 and the other is a 2013. One has 3200 miles on it and the other has 7200 miles on it. One is pretty stock and the other has a nice complement of accessories that I find useful. Panniers for one plus other nice items I find attractive.

My question to you is what are some basic thing I should be asking to either owner about their particular bikes. I know service records and such but what items that were problems with either year that I might want to see if they were addressed. I believe i read about a problem with Hot Starts, and lean or rich fuel settings. I would like to know going in what I should be asking since most likely I will be doing a long distance drive to see these motorcycles and I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my time or find I bought something I should not have.

thanks fellows
Old 03-25-2019, 12:46 PM

Both very low miles. There is no adjusting "lean or rich" fuel settings. All computer controlled. I look for mods that I suspect are not done on your bikes, piggy back fuel controllers, additional wiring not done well. Both these bikes will need a fist full of maintenance to get to basic ground level, brake fluid change, oil change (5W40), final drive oil change, lube the shift linkage, hand lever pivots. The next thing I would do also is buy a new battery and install a direct DIN socket or SAE pigtail to the battery for maintenance charging. They don't like going more than a week without charging. Once all the maintenance is done you have a basis to move on from. The first valve clearance check is at 18K miles and I have never known of a K13S that needed an adjustment then. On the older bike, you will need new tires if they are original. You will also need to find a friend with a tire machine.
S1000R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 03-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Twisted Wrister

Ride them. I have owned a 2011, 2013, and 2015 (I am riding now). Each seemed a bit more refined than the previous. The 2011 was purchased new, the 2013 with 2000 miles, and the 2015 with the highest mileage, approximately 10,000 miles. I have no documentation to explain the differences. It is a "seat of the pants" impression.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Both very low miles. There is no adjusting "lean or rich" fuel settings. All computer controlled. I look for mods that I suspect are not done on your bikes, piggy back fuel controllers, additional wiring not done well. Both these bikes will need a fist full of maintenance to get to basic ground level, brake fluid change, oil change (5W40), final drive oil change, lube the shift linkage, hand lever pivots. The next thing I would do also is buy a new battery and install a direct DIN socket or SAE pigtail to the battery for maintenance charging. They don't like going more than a week without charging. Once all the maintenance is done you have a basis to move on from. The first valve clearance check is at 18K miles and I have never known of a K13S that needed an adjustment then. On the older bike, you will need new tires if they are original. You will also need to find a friend with a tire machine.

I just spoke to one of the fellows and wouldn't know it after months of no one inquiring about the bike he has a few guys today looking. Seemed like a person that took care of it. It had the GPS and additional wiring done by the Dealership. It has the battery connection for a trickle charger. It has new tires 300 miles ago. So the 7200 one I don't think will be available so I might have to see about the 3200 mile one or there is one more but neither had the equipment of the one I spoke to the owner today.

By the way may I ask what is a piggy back fuel controller?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Speed Demon

Power Commander or Rapidbike are both piggyback.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 03-31-2019, 10:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Did you buy a bike yet?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Site Contributor

No Iíve not found one. Iím still looking for that low mileage one with a few options like panniers and possibly a few others. I have it narrowed down to three around the country. Logistics is the concern. Ship it or drive and pick it up. Itís always nice to be able to see it in person rather than have someone tell you that is in perfect condition. We all have a different perspective of perfect condition. The prices are all over the place so Iíve been using KELLY Blue Book as a guide sort of but you have to evaluate each on its own merits. As I mentioned a fellow in Atlanta had one on Craigís List for months but I only found it last Monday morning, he said and no one had called in months and in one day there was 3 of us that contacted him. I was at a disadvantage being 600 mikes away. Iím confident Iíll find one this month, the weather is getting nice.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Shooting the gap

I know of a guy selling a 2016 Black one...... lots of extras too. Don’t know if he still has it as I ran across him while looking for my bike at the end of 2018. I would have made an offer on that one if I hadn’t found mine.

I bought mine without seeing it in person. First time ever. Made me very nervous. Very. All is well so far.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Site Contributor

I would be interested in the black 2016. If you could forward that info to me I would appreciate it. Does he have a list of the accessories listed in an ad somewhere on the net? You can PM me with the info if you would like

Thank you.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan
I would be interested in the black 2016. If you could forward that info to me I would appreciate it. Does he have a list of the accessories listed in an ad somewhere on the net? You can PM me with the info if you would like

Thank you.

PMed you the information.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Site Contributor

For some reason the PM did not appear in my inbox. There is no PM available to read. Something must have not worked for some reason.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Google ďFree TimeĒ by Mike Connolly. He had a nice black one for sale when I got mine at the end of 2018. Lots of extras. His contact information is on that blog.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K13Msport' for this post:
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Site Contributor

Sorry for the late reply. I did contact him about his bike, I donít think he could put any more Farkels on it. Not saying thatís bad just a lot of cash I guess. He was pleasant to communicate with and I found his blog interesting to read. He needs a lot of money to recoup his investment.

I finally found one that Iíll be picking up this week. Itís a 2015 with 2500 miles in it. Black with no accessories so I have a blank slate to accessorize it as I want.

Thanks for the help and everyone else that posts here
Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Good for you. Congratulations. Letís see it when you get it!
Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 PM
Shooting the gap

Good for you. Congratulations. Letís see it when you get it!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Another example of accessories don't count. Take them off and sell them then sell the bike. Low miles black K bike, doesn't get any better.
S1000R