I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > All 'Other' Motorcycles
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

All 'Other' Motorcycles Discussions of other than BMW Motorcycles

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,170 Times in 465 Posts

CBR300R fire sale

It looks like Honda just released a bunch of '17 bikes to dealers and they're being offered at close to half price. I've been thinking about getting a 250-300 class track bike and my local Honda dealer has a brandy new CBR300R for $2399 - that's like $1000 less than anyone is selling their used ones.

https://www.hondaofcrofton.com/defau...=xNewInventory

I just bought a Yamaha WR250R enduro bike and now I have to figure out how to hide another new bike in the garage. I'm going to go searching for track parts now....
Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,235 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: CBR300R fire sale

IMHO, The track would be the only place to find some fun riding this bike.

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 03-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,631 Times in 3,281 Posts

Great starting price. At this price I think you could set it up for the track for about $6K.

Make no mistake about it the suspension is way too soft.

Bodywork-tires- brakes- rearsets and now you are getting a good start.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Fuse lit...

Thanks Bruce. It looks like the HotBodies set is about $700 complete. Probably spend at least that (or double) on suspension. Everything else would be weight loss and a tune. I'm sure you know when you're riding your R3, it's like getting passed by a swarm of bees on the straights but get them back in the tight sections. Yeah, $6K sounds about right.

My closest track is Summit Point and they usually run two track days back to back - one on the main course and one at the Shenandoah course. The latter is much tighter and way more suitable for a smaller bike so I never rode it on my S1000RR. I'm not exactly locked on to it yet but if I set up a bike like this for the track, I'd get more time when I go - as you well know. And, I'd rather spend time working on my cornering skills than threshold braking from a buck-fiddy into turn 1.

Ari Henning wrote a lot about campaigning a CBR250R and how much fun it was. It got me thinking and that's always a sketchy thing.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Wes

Not many riders at the track ride a 1000 and a 300. Just for the reasons you stated the big bike is a lot to handle.

Then getting on a 300 or going from a 300 to a 1000 is a little tricky.

I went middle of the road on the front suspension and went top end on the rear suspension on my R3 and spent $2,500.00.

It transformed the handling from basically terrible to close to awesome.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Dang it Wes!

I had thought of doing this some time back, then rode a lower HP bike and said, "nah".

Had Bruce tell me multiple times in 2018 how awesome his R3 is...

Now have you tell me that Honda is giving away CBR300's...

What's a pampered 2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 with a few "character" marks/bruises (some call them scratches and dents) worth? I'm still not sure that I'd enjoy this route (300cc) in the end, but damn is it tempting.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Dang it Wes!

I had thought of doing this some time back, then rode a lower HP bike and said, "nah".

Had Bruce tell me multiple times in 2018 how awesome his R3 is...

Now have you tell me that Honda is giving away CBR300's...

What's a pampered 2008 Suzuki GSXR 750 with a few "character" marks/bruises (some call them scratches and dents) worth? I'm still not sure that I'd enjoy this route (300cc) in the end, but damn is it tempting.
Matt:

It's the old saying - I rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. The little bikes having very little HP and typically no electronic aids really makes you learn how to ride the bike.

As you know I'm certainly not that good of a rider - but I have a lot of fun trying to ride well on the track - I honestly think by riding my R3 I have become a much better liter bike rider.

You must learn to keep the throttle open - just about all the time - the throttle on these little bikes is truly an on/off switch no real in between. Brake when you need to and back to wide open throttle as soon as you are off the brakes.

It took time and I still struggle with this a lot to do it - especially coming off my RR - where that concept is much harder to do.

Small bikes force you to learn the track - know the lines - trust your suspension and tires and yourself.

Lastly running the little bike is very inexpensive - if you ride the snot out of it a few sets of tires a season - compared to 8-10 sets for the RR. Fuel consumption just everything.

Plus the R3 does not beat the crap out of my body anywhere close to like the RR - it is a very noticeable difference.

I like going fast and all so not ready to give up my RR yet - well not this season anyway.

Last season I rode the RR 65% percent of the time - operational cost was much lower - tires alone I saved $1,500.00.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Fuse lit...

This new bike at a dealer near me is selling for about a thousand less than the used one's on the market right now. It's very tempting but as Bruce has pointed out, it would cost another $4K to get it properly set up for a serious track bike. For less than that, I can pick up a track bike already well sorted. So the reason for buying this bike would be because I like working on and sorting out the bike myself. It's a tradeoff between garage days and track days.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
This new bike at a dealer near me is selling for about a thousand less than the used one's on the market right now. It's very tempting but as Bruce has pointed out, it would cost another $4K to get it properly set up for a serious track bike. For less than that, I can pick up a track bike already well sorted. So the reason for buying this bike would be because I like working on and sorting out the bike myself. It's a tradeoff between garage days and track days.
Wes:

You are spot on - there are many track ready bikes in excellent shape that you can purchase and hit the track right away.

Some of these bikes have serious money in them - you may not have done all of what has been done.

There is one other consideration - you can take a CBR300R that is stock and do a little suspension work and take it to the track. Remove the lights and go have a hoot of a day and then go home and take it out for a spin around town.

I guess the big decision about buying a bike for the track is how often are you really going to go to the track - if the answer is 2-4 times a year truth be told you don't have/need to invest a lot of money to have fun.

I'm at a stage in my life I need to go to the track often just to maintain what little skills I have - going a handful of times honestly I take most of the day getting back up to some sort of pace from the previous track day.

The past two years I honestly did not feel like I was in a groove if you will until late summer - yes it really took me that long to get it back.

Buy a used track bike set up ready to go for about $4-$5K if you fall in love and go all the time great - if you go on occasion great no big money or time invested.

But whatever you do - make sure you get a track bike this year no better time than now to put all those training days to use - before you forget what you were taught.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Site Contributor

The supersports these days really do a good job keeping weight to a minimum.

I have an '11 gsxr750 which is basically the same 600 platform. Published measured wet weight stock I've seen 419#.

I just completed the spring oil change, refilled the cooling system after draining the water for the winter, installed a lighter slipper clutch (suter). I weighed the bike on a couple 440# capacity postal scales I bought and I was happy with 363#'s. The bike is stripped of a lot of stuff but nothing that can't be relatively easily done except maybe my DIY exhaust midpipe to get rid of the converter box. A more expensive full system would do the same thing.

I looked into getting a lightweight sportbike, but unless it is 300 pounds and under, I felt I was better off just buying parts for the gixxer. I was about to pull the trigger on an Aprilia SXV. But didn't... parallel twins and singles do have the advantage of fewer rotating masses, though, which should make transitions even easier.

A couple more mods in the pipeline (wheels, race alternator) and I should be well into 350's.

Of course many people will say the money is better spent on track time. And if it had to be one or the other I would agree. But there is a certain feel I would like to get from my trackbike that lugging around a 450 pound superbike just doesn't do no matter how much horsepower it has.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Site Contributor

For example, this tricked out FZ-07 from EDR is just a handful of pounds lighter than my supersport.

I post this as an example not that I did such an awesome job, but that Suzuki really has pared the weight down of the essentials for the bike.

http://edrperformance.com/for-sale-2...ce-track-bike/

Kramer motorcycles are popping up all over trackdays and WERA races...
https://www.kramermotorcyclesusa.com/2019-hkr-evo2-s

These bad boys are 280 pounds and based on the KTM thumper engine.

$22K for the R or $16K for the S model.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Administrator

A friend of mine is really hot on the Kramer. I've only seen one and for me the drawback is that it is a single - yes that is part of the weight reduction but at the end of the day I don't want a single.

You are correct about the liter bikes being heavy - I certainly can attest to this being that I constantly go from my RR to my R3 the weight difference is very noticeable.

I have to really pay attention the first session out when switching bikes - be it I have to get used to the weight of the RR - the acceleration and braking power - and remembering I can't be wide open.

Then getting on the R3 keeping the throttle pinned - remembering the brakes are nowhere near as strong as the RR and the weight difference and how fast the R3 turns in are all somewhat problematic the first session.

I can see myself transitioning to smaller lighter bikes - mostly because of my aging body - but make no mistake about it - there is nothing like powering out of a corner and leaving black strips of rubber on the ground as the front wheel of the bike is coming off the ground or shifting into 4th gear on the straight at 135 mph and again the front wheel lofting - truly gets my heart pounding every time.

If I had real money I would be bringing a fleet of bikes to the track.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
jcw
Old 03-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
It's the old saying - I rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. The little bikes having very little HP and typically no electronic aids really makes you learn how to ride the bike.

I get it, and you might even say to a degree that I've lived it. As far as the lack of electronic aids, I have yet to actually join that era, so theoretically I *THINK* that I'm learning how to ride the bike now.

The CBR300RR is only 30hp, I'm officially out.

I did a quick lookup on google (don't recall the site) but it listed my CBR1000RR at 419lbs. If I could get a 100hp / sub 350# bike, I think that I could get onboard and have a real hoot with that.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Here's a thought. Take the RR to track days. Actually RACE the 300.

Finding your own fast lines around the track is a good exercise in riding well. Sticking a wheel under another racer who wants the same line is something else. It's a lot more fun to do that on a 300 than on a 1000RR. It will stretch you, nonetheless.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I did a quick lookup on google (don't recall the site) but it listed my CBR1000RR at 419lbs. If I could get a 100hp / sub 350# bike, I think that I could get onboard and have a real hoot with that.

Hondas make some of the lightest bike out there.
Cycle World used to keep an updated lists of actual weights and measures from their road tests. Hasn't been updated in a while.
For your bike it lists 412 dry and 440 wet weight measured.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
Here's a thought. Take the RR to track days. Actually RACE the 300.

Finding your own fast lines around the track is a good exercise in riding well. Sticking a wheel under another racer who wants the same line is something else. It's a lot more fun to do that on a 300 than on a 1000RR. It will stretch you, nonetheless.
Tyson:

Many of my track friends do exactly that for many reasons - mainly much cheaper to race a 300 than a 1000 and also the race series close to me is LRRS - in New Hampshire.

Certainly liter bikes race there but the track is really suited for small bikes.

Okay now for all the excuses why I'm not going racing - my age has nothing to do with it - very simply physically I can't handle it. And I don't mean the racing part so much as I'm talking about the crashing part. When you race sooner or later for sure you are going to crash - I'm pretty sure my fragile body can't take it.

Yes I do track days but I try not to run 10/10 of my ability more like 7-8/10 of my ability giving me a little room for mistakes. Sure we/I can go down at a track day but in most cases less often.

Trust me every year folks try to get me to go racing - my brain says do it - my body says don't be foolish.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Okay now for all the excuses why I'm not going racing - my age has nothing to do with it - very simply physically I can't handle it. And I don't mean the racing part so much as I'm talking about the crashing part. When you race sooner or later for sure you are going to crash - I'm pretty sure my fragile body can't take it.

Yes I do track days but I try not to run 10/10 of my ability more like 7-8/10 of my ability giving me a little room for mistakes. Sure we/I can go down at a track day but in most cases less often.

Trust me every year folks try to get me to go racing - my brain says do it - my body says don't be foolish.
I don't know that I like agreeing with Bruce so much... but, I agree.

Past history shows that I'm not so good at knowing where to draw the line in competition and i have 1 shoulder and 3 knee surgeries to show for it. In my mind, second place has always been the first loser.

If there was a realistic chance to make some sort of a career out of it, maybe... but that is DEFINITELY NOT the case here for this guy.

The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 03-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know that I like agreeing with Bruce so much... but, I agree.

Past history shows that I'm not so good at knowing where to draw the line in competition and i have 1 shoulder and 3 knee surgeries to show for it. In my mind, second place has always been the first loser.

If there was a realistic chance to make some sort of a career out of it, maybe... but that is DEFINITELY NOT the case here for this guy.
Matt:

You know exactly what I'm talking about - like you I have a bad shoulder that needs surgery - a neck that if I sneeze too hard will break - and a lower back that well heck I need to get fixed as well.

One good getoff could be really costly for me.

I'm a walking(barely)mess.

I hope this year when we meet up that I can keep you in my sights.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM
Site Contributor

The other thing about smaller bikes is the narrower tires.

You can feel the difference going from 180 to 190 rears. Running 150-160 rears alone would make the bike feel super responsive.

looks like fun!

And then their superbike R3 build...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ciJ2rGplb7kX3r
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post: